• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On April 5th, the Playstation 2 finally drops to $99

szaromir said:
Buy a used one. PS2's library is overrated, but there still might be a few gems you'll enjoy.

Overrated as being the highest selling system with the greatest catalog of the last decade, that is.

Anyone who hasn't had a PS2 for at least 7 years now has missed a lot of the best games of the previous generation. It has to suck enjoying videogames since before 2000 and not having owned or at least played PS2 games a few times every year since launch.

Gbeav

Banned
Does anyone actually think this will increase ps2 sales? At this point in time I would think they would mostly be replacement sales.

Jagernaut

The PS2 has a fantastic library. Since it can play PS1 games too, I think it is the best console system ever. It was only weak in the FPS and western RPG genres (the same genres the original Xbox was best in).

If you have never owned one, it is certainly worth $100 and there are a ton of cheap games available.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
alr1ghtstart said:
Pretty sure the usbadvance/loader is very flaky/not compatible with many games. I haven't really payed attention lately though.

List is here
http://list.sksapps.com/
Thanks.
Most of the RPGs I looked up were compatible.
I was a PS2 gamer for years and years.. but I only just recently got into RPGs so I'd really like to pick up a slimline and see what I missed.

Quixzlizx

Yoshi said:
I don't have a PS2 and never owned one. It's because I have a GameCube which offered enough games for me next to a Dreamcast which I bought a few years after its dead until 2005 where I've got an Xbox 360 and could play all the games of last generation that were not exclusive to PS2 (minus a few which aren't bc). So I didn't buy a PS2 until now, as the exclusive games weren't so interesting to me, that I have to buy one. I could buy one soon, though, as I'm quite sure that I won't have to wait too long until a used PS2 in a nice condition can be bought for 50-60€. Then, this cheap PS2 is sure to fill any gap my Wii, 360 and DS might possibly leave 'till next generation.

All 80000 of them?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
This pricedrop is about a year too late. Shelf space has shrunk, developer support has just about dried up... and this won't fix either of those. The market has moved on. Its just an insignificant distraction from bigger releases. It won't hurt the DS, DSi, Wii, or even 360. The most this will do will cause the PS2 to outsell the PS3 again and we'll all just laugh at Sony anyway.

I can sort of understand that "PS2 library is over-rated" thinking. Back in the day, its library was awesome... but looking at it today... Its best offerings have either aged poorly, been widely ported around, or are now outdated/redundant from sequels. Its the fate of all consoles. Worse, when you look at the games still coming out for the system, you'd never guess the system's legacy.

Red Scarlet

Oh, nice. I need a new one sometime, it's only a matter of time before the laser dies..stupid DVD fast forwarding ruining an otherwise new PS2..

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Quixzlizx said:
All 80000 of them?
There aren't nearly as much exclusives worth a look. I didn't say I don't want any of the exclusives at all but there are none I can think of which I want so badly that I had to shell out the money for the console. One reason might be that I don't like SotC and really hate MGS.

Yoshi said:
There aren't nearly as much exclusives worth a look. I didn't say I don't want any of the exclusives at all but there are none I can think of which I want so badly that I had to shell out the money for the console. One reason might be that I don't like SotC and really hate MGS.

If that's all you can think of... dude. What about Frequency and Amplitude? What about Katamari Damacy and We <3 Katamari? Dark Cloud 1 and 2? The NIS SRPGs? The Ape Escapes? The Monster Ranchers? Or the many other unique games that only came to the PS2 like Under The Skin, Rez (for a long time anyway), Technic Beat, Gitaroo Man, Everblue 2, Magic Pengel and Graffiti Kingdom, Bombastic, Stretch Panic, Herdy Gerdy, Mark of Kri and Rise of the Kasai, or Metropolismania 1 and 2?

If you can't find a substantial number of titles that appeal to you in the PS2's library, you just don't like games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yoshi said:

here's what i liked or would recommend to fans of the genre, exclusives and multiplatform:
lrpzuCN.png

Acosta

Yoshi said:

:lol

When you can only think in SotC and MGS as the Playstation 2 exclusives you show how clueless you are. Skipping PS2 is one of the most stupid things a videogame player can do.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I shouldn't be surprised but it still baffles me that there are people that manage to attack the PS2's library.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Zoe said:
It may finally be time to replace the phatty... I was still considering HD Loader though :(

Keep the phatty if your not interested in transporting the PS2 around (which would actually make a slim useful). HDLoader rocks if you plan on dumping all your physical disks on the drive. Now getting cracking the PS2 to get HDL on it is another thing entirely, not sure what progress has been made in so far as making the process simpler.

Acosta

Yoshi said:
Did I say, with a single word even, that those were the only PS2 exclusives I know or I can think of? It's just that these are universally praised and are some of the most beloved games of the console. I have Gitaroo Man for the PSP btw.

I will try to be gentle. PS2 happened to be the system where almost every studio in the world focused for several years. Its catalog is ridiculously vast and has excellent games in any genre, but you can't find anything interesting among more than a hundred of exclusive titles the system has. And your big justification is that "hate MGS" and "don't like SotC" (god knows why).

Don't you think it´s a bit ridicule? How many years you were with only a Gamecube?

AniHawk

Yoshi said:
Did I say, with a single word even, that those were the only PS2 exclusives I know or I can think of? It's just that these are universally praised and are some of the most beloved games of the console. I have Gitaroo Man for the PSP btw.

Thanks for a huge uncommented list of games that are available for the PS2. Ring of Red, La Pucelle, RAD, Okage, Raw Danger, Kuon and Chullp are the only ones of the list I don't know at all though. If you wanted to help me deciding what to buy for a PS2 this is really usefull, especially as the list is totally random, includes games I already have (for example PoP:SoT, Okami), ones I called uninteresting to me in this Thread (MGS series, SotC) or which are just not all too great (Dirge of Cerberus, Dawn of Mana? Really?).

Well what kind of games do you like?

Yoshi

Acosta said:
I will try to be gentle. PS2 happened to be the system where almost every studio in the world focused for several years. Its catalog is ridiculously vast and has excellent games in any genre, but you can't find anything interesting among more than a hundred of exclusive titles the system has. And your big justification is that "hate MGS" and "don't like SotC" (god knows why).

Don't you think it´s a bit ridicule? How many years you were with only a Gamecube?
2002 and 2003, so two years, there were enough games for me on GameCube and GBA during those two years considering the amount of money I had. 2004 I got a Dreamcast, 2005 a DS and an Xbox 360, 2006 a Wii, Saturn and a PSP. And let me repeat this: I did NOT say there was NO interesting game on the PS2 AT ALL. I said there was no exclusive game I wanted so badly I had to buy the console for it. I also didn't say it's a big justification, I don't think I have to justify not having a PS2, it's not a crime...

AniHawk said:
Well what kind of games do you like?
platformers, action-adventures, non-realistic racers, RPG (one-two per year), action, adventure, some strategy games (but that can't be called a general liking of the genre), skill games (don't know how you call this genre in English, something like Marble Madness, Monkey Ball) are my prefered genres.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yoshi said:
Thanks for a huge uncommented list of games that are available for the PS2. Ring of Red, La Pucelle, RAD, Okage, Raw Danger, Kuon and Chullp are the only ones of the list I don't know at all though. If you wanted to help me deciding what to buy for a PS2 this is really usefull, especially as the list is totally random, includes games I already have (for example PoP:SoT, Okami), ones I called uninteresting to me in this Thread (MGS series, SotC) or which are just not all too great (Dirge of Cerberus, Dawn of Mana? Really?).

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

The PS2, across the vast majority of genres, has the widest breadth and deepest depth of games, exclusive and multiplatform, of any console in history. If you can't find anything worth buying it for, your taste is exceptionally niche. Name a genre, and the PS2 delivers with very very few exceptions.

Why does the list not have any commentary? Because I'm not your mother and I don't care about what you spend your money on. That's a list of games I'd recommend either based on my own taste or if you're a fan of the genre. You are profoundly able to google these games yourself and find out if they're worthwhile, and more to the point you will never, ever, ever play all of them so where you start is of no particular importance.

As for the "not all too great" games--yes, it's true, Dawn of Mana is not particularly good. However the general idea is that when you first buy a console you start with the really outstanding games, and then after a while when you're looking for others to check out, you go a little further down the list and check out some of the flawed gems or even just trashy games. The point isn't to recommend Dawn of Mana unconditionally to anyone, the point is that by the time you're looking at that quartile of the list, you already know whether or not you can get enjoyment out of this particular flawed game.

If you aren't going to buy a PS2, you aren't going to buy a PS2. Suit yourself. But you're missing out.

As an example, you mention that the GameCube was your primary console last generation. Here are what are said to be the top games on the GameCube by critical review...

My Recommendations For Games Like Good Gamecube Games
- Metroid Prime, "first person adventure"; I'd recommend Red Faction to start on PS2. Past that where you go is going to depend on whether you like the FPS aspect or the adventure aspect of MP better, but there are about a dozen options for each.

- Resident Evil 4, it's on PS2. Along with Silent Hill 2, 3, and 4 if you like horror games, Disaster Report and Raw Danger if you like cheese horror in the vein of RE1. If you like the action element, I'd recommend both Maximo games and all the Devil May Cry games. If you like DMC, I'd recommend trying God of War. Clock Tower 3 is also up there for horror. At the horror b/c-tier, you've got stuff like Kuon, Haunting Ground, and others. At the action B/C-tier, you've got stuff like Rygar that's kinda similar. You've also got the Onimusha series, although that's a little different and definitely not B/C-tier. These recommendations also go for "Eternal Darkness" which is further down the list of GCN games--if you like the mental drama of Eternal Darkness primarily, I'd also add Indigo Prophecy and Metal Gear Solid 2 to the recommendation list.

- Zelda: TP and Zelda: WW. I'd recommend Okami for any Zelda fan. Past that it depends if you want to go with actiony stuff or puzzley stuff. Ico has a lot of similarities with Zelda-style puzzle solving although it's a little more environmental. It also has a similar visual style to Twilight Princess (really washed out). If you want the exploration of Zelda but more RPG, you've got DQ8. Maximo has the cartoony friendliness of Zelda but it's an action game. Psychonauts is a sort of exploration platformer that I think most Zelda fans would like despite its dissimilarity to Zelda. I'd also recommend some of the more adventure-like games like Indigo Prophecy and Beyond Good and Evil. The PoP trilogy as well is good. If you want to go further into RPGs, the PS2 has indisputably the best RPG library of any console ever.

- Madden NFL 2004 / Madden NFL 2003. In the extremely unlikely event you were a primarily-GameCube playing sports game lover, you will not have trouble finding sports games on the PS2.

- Soul Calibur II. Not only is Soul Calibur II on PS2, so is Soul Calibur III. You've also got the Street Fighter collections, MvC2, the VF series, Dead or Alive 2. If you want to go technical, you've got Fire Pro. If you want to go stupid, you've got the Smackdown vs. Raw rasslin' games. These recommendations also go for Smash Bros fans.

- Viewtiful Joe. On PS2. Along with about a bazillion other beat-em-ups. God Hand is one that's recommended often. The Bouncer is a good value at $5, which it what it costs now. I'm not a big beat-em-up guy so I wouldn't know where to go past there. I wouldn't recommend Final Fight Streetwise to anyone, but it's there, along with other turds like Death by Degrees. If you want to go towards actiony brawlers, again I'll recommend DMC and Maximo.

- SSX 3. On PS2. Snowboarding is in decline, but PS2 has entries in snowboarding, BMX, skateboarding, and all other associated genres. Again, not my bag, but I'd recommend the other SSX entries as well as the earlier Tony Hawks (THPS 3, THPS 4, maybe Underground 1 if you like that stuff, Downhill Jam if you like the downhill format)

- Super Mario Sunshine. Platforming on the PS2 is great. You've got Klonoa, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, as well as multiplatform stuff like i-Ninja and Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy. That's a dozen suggestions right there!

Some whole genres do not exist on the GameCube, like rhythm games. If you like those... well, actually, you wouldn't know because they're not on the GameCube. On the PS2 they vary from the traditional (Space Channel 5 SE, Parappa 2) to rhythm-shooters (Rez) to music rhythm games (GH series got its start here, Frequency, Amplitude).

RPGs are almost non-existent on the Cube and one of the dominant genres on the PS2. I wouldn't even know where to start with recommendations for RPGs. DQ8, FFX, FFXII, Nocturne, Persona 3/4, Dark Cloud 2 and Disgaea 1 would probably give you a good breadth of jRPG types and major game manufacturers, but that's the tip of an iceberg.

What do you like that you find lacking on PS2?

Majmun

Only the fps and wrpg genre were lacking on the Ps2. Xbox had better fps annd wrpg games imo.

But all the other genres were better presented on the Ps2 imo.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yoshi said:
platformers, action-adventures, non-realistic racers, RPG (one-two per year), action, adventure, some strategy games (but that can't be called a general liking of the genre), skill games (don't know how you call this genre in English, something like Marble Madness, Monkey Ball) are my prefered genres.

I already recommended platformers and action-adventures, but a few comments:

Non-Realistic Racers. This is generally called "Arcade Racers". On the PS2 you've got the Burnout series, which is an excellent introduction. You've got "Need for Speed" which varies from excellent to terrible and from arcade racing to semi-open world depending on the installment. I like Underground although I'm not a huge fan of the series. You've got the often unmentioned Rumble Racing. You've got Midnight Club which is a little more realistic and a little different in focus. If you want to go more serious racing, GT3 and GT4. If you want cart-racing, you have Crash Nitro Karts although that is a pale imitation of Mario Kart. You might also enjoy driving-heavy open world games.

Strategy. I'm not sure if you mean SRPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics or RTSs or hex-strategy like Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

"Skill Games". From the name skill games, I think you'd mean score attack / arcade games. I'd recommend Katamari Damacy here and to a lesser extent its sequel. THPS 3 and 4 are classic arcade games. The whole rhythm genre, which does not exist on the GameCube is good for this. Fantavision is a decent buy for the $5 it costs now. Lego Star Wars has score attack elements to it although it's pretty non-arcadey. There are some shmups like Raiden III and Gradius V that scratch an arcadey itch.

If you mean rolling ball games, I'd just recommend Katamari and Mercury Meltdown Remix. The Super Monkey Ball on PS2 is the worst installment of the series.

Quixzlizx

JJConrad said:
I can sort of understand that "PS2 library is over-rated" thinking. Back in the day, its library was awesome... but looking at it today... Its best offerings have either aged poorly, been widely ported around, or are now outdated/redundant from sequels. Its the fate of all consoles. Worse, when you look at the games still coming out for the system, you'd never guess the system's legacy.

This is extremely wrong even if you're ignoring RPGs, but mind-blowingly wrong if you aren't.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Second said:
Only the fps and wrpg genre were lacking on the Ps2. Xbox had better fps annd wrpg games imo.

Other than Halo most of those Xbox FPSes were multiplatform with the PS2 and were PC portdowns to boot. I'd recommend people looking for FPS would largely go to the PC. If not, though, yes, the Xbox generally had better ports than the PS2 did.

I'd still recommend Cold Winter, Red Faction and the early Call of Duty games as a launching-off point for FPS games on PS2 if someone did want to go down that road.

On Western RPGs, the Xbox has Fable, Kotor 1/2, Morrowind, and Jade Empire. On the PS2, I'd recommend Baldur's Gate, FFXII (It's a jRPG, but I think it's one wRPG fans would enjoy), the Wizardry PS2 installment, Drakan and King's Field IV. I would say the Xbox had the higher profile games of the two, but there's a lot to love on PS2 as well.

Again, though, the wRPG genre is pretty largely better on PC and I'd recommend anyone with a hankering scratch their itch there.

Majmun

Don't forget Disgaea. Also an strategic game.

But I guess Yoshi -as the name suggests- rather likes to play F-Zero instead of Burnout and Fire Emblem instead of Disgaea.

Nothing wrong with that. But you just can't ignore the Ps2 as a gamer imo.

Stumpokapow said:
Some whole genres do not exist on the GameCube, like rhythm games.

WAT.

5g7a4csc.gif

Anyway, I can't think of a worse way to recommend PS2 than to take legendary GC titles and recommend inferior genre-alikes.

The fact is, if FFX or Kingdom Hearts don't do it for you and you hate MGS, there's really not a single blow away PS2 exclusive that you absolutely must play before you die, IMO. What there are, is a gigantic truckload of lower level titles with an incredibly impressive wingspan, particularly if you enable your PS2 to play imports. Where PS2 excels is not in, say, having a platform game better than Mario (because of course it doesn't have one of those) it's in having a really fun game you've never heard of in a genre you didn't even think about, and then twenty more. What makes PS2 great is its insanely varied breadth. I see where you're coming from, though.

Majmun

A Twisty Fluken said:
What there are, is a gigantic truckload of lower level titles

metacritic.jpg

And I guess you won't like the Cube if you don't like Nintendo games. That's the same dumb thing.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Second said:

But all the other genres were better presented on the Ps2 imo.

agree about WRPG , disagree on FPS

Call of Duty series ( COD3 , World at War Final Fronts , Finest Hour, Big Red One) , Medal of Honor series ( Frontline , Rising Sun , European Assault ) Timesplitters series , Black ,
Deus Ex , Killzone , Soldier Of Fortune , Battlefield 2 Modern Combat ..

actually it got everything from 3rd party just like original Xbox , but everything got overshadow'd by Halo last gen

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A Twisty Fluken said:

That's a good point. The GameCube has four rhythm games. Donkey Konga 1 and 2, DKJB, and Mario DDR. DDR is better on PS2. I'd recommend Taiko Drum Master over DK 1 or 2 even though it's not very good. I'd recommend any of the Harmonix rhythm games over either DK or Taiko Drum Master. Admittedly, the PS2 is seriously lacking in bongo-driven platformer games but I think most people who liked DKJB would appreciate either Parappa, Guitaroo Man, or Space Channel 5 SE.

Anyway, I can't think of a worse way to recommend PS2 than to take legendary GC titles and recommend inferior genre-alikes.

I don't feel most of those recommendations were inferior.

What there are, is a gigantic truckload of lower level titles with an incredibly impressive wingspan, particularly if you enable your PS2 to play imports. Where PS2 excels is not in, say, having a platform game better than Mario (because of course it doesn't have one of those) it's in having a really fun game you've never heard of in a genre you didn't even think about, and then twenty more. What makes PS2 great is its insanely varied breadth. I see where you're coming from, though.

Exactly. Gamers didn't like to play A-level games as well as AAA-games. Every system has knockout hits, but the PS2 has everything from total turds to average games to good games to knockout hits in every genre. If you do like <Genre X>, you could buy a whole library of them on PS2.

I disagree heavily with you about there only being a few stand-out must-play titles. Insofar as any system has must play titles, the PS2 has an enormous amount of them.

Yoshi

Stumpokapow said:
Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.
You've answered a "stupid question" I didn't ask.
The PS2, across the vast majority of genres, has the widest breadth and deepest depth of games, exclusive and multiplatform, of any console in history. If you can't find anything worth buying it for, your taste is exceptionally niche. Name a genre, and the PS2 delivers with very very few exceptions.
As I have a Dreamcast, an Xbox 360 and a GameCube multiplatform games don't matter at all to me, because I can play every game that's not exclusive to the PS2 already.

Why does the list not have any commentary? Because I'm not your mother and I don't care about what you spend your money on. That's a list of games I'd recommend either based on my own taste or if you're a fan of the genre. You are profoundly able to google these games yourself and find out if they're worthwhile, and more to the point you will never, ever, ever play all of them so where you start is of no particular importance.

As for the "not all too great" games--yes, it's true, Dawn of Mana is not particularly good. However the general idea is that when you first buy a console you start with the really outstanding games, and then after a while when you're looking for others to check out, you go a little further down the list and check out some of the flawed gems or even just trashy games. The point isn't to recommend Dawn of Mana unconditionally to anyone, the point is that by the time you're looking at that quartile of the list, you already know whether or not you can get enjoyment out of this particular flawed game.
I understand why you posted them, but as for recommendations for someone who doesn't own a PS2, this is not relevant I think.

If you aren't going to buy a PS2, you aren't going to buy a PS2. Suit yourself. But you're missing out.

As an example, you mention that the GameCube was your primary console last generation. Here are what are said to be the top games on the GameCube by critical review...

My Recommendations For Games Like Good Gamecube Games
- Metroid Prime, "first person adventure"; I'd recommend Red Faction to start on PS2. Past that where you go is going to depend on whether you like the FPS aspect or the adventure aspect of MP better, but there are about a dozen options for each.

- Resident Evil 4, it's on PS2. Along with Silent Hill 2, 3, and 4 if you like horror games, Disaster Report and Raw Danger if you like cheese horror in the vein of RE1. If you like the action element, I'd recommend both Maximo games and all the Devil May Cry games. If you like DMC, I'd recommend trying God of War. Clock Tower 3 is also up there for horror. At the horror b/c-tier, you've got stuff like Kuon, Haunting Ground, and others. At the action B/C-tier, you've got stuff like Rygar that's kinda similar. You've also got the Onimusha series, although that's a little different and definitely not B/C-tier. These recommendations also go for "Eternal Darkness" which is further down the list of GCN games--if you like the mental drama of Eternal Darkness primarily, I'd also add Indigo Prophecy and Metal Gear Solid 2 to the recommendation list.

- Zelda: TP and Zelda: WW. I'd recommend Okami for any Zelda fan. Past that it depends if you want to go with actiony stuff or puzzley stuff. Ico has a lot of similarities with Zelda-style puzzle solving although it's a little more environmental. It also has a similar visual style to Twilight Princess (really washed out). If you want the exploration of Zelda but more RPG, you've got DQ8. Maximo has the cartoony friendliness of Zelda but it's an action game. Psychonauts is a sort of exploration platformer that I think most Zelda fans would like despite its dissimilarity to Zelda. I'd also recommend some of the more adventure-like games like Indigo Prophecy and Beyond Good and Evil. The PoP trilogy as well is good. If you want to go further into RPGs, the PS2 has indisputably the best RPG library of any console ever.

- Madden NFL 2004 / Madden NFL 2003. In the extremely unlikely event you were a primarily-GameCube playing sports game lover, you will not have trouble finding sports games on the PS2.

- Soul Calibur II. Not only is Soul Calibur II on PS2, so is Soul Calibur III. You've also got the Street Fighter collections, MvC2, the VF series, Dead or Alive 2. If you want to go technical, you've got Fire Pro. If you want to go stupid, you've got the Smackdown vs. Raw rasslin' games. These recommendations also go for Smash Bros fans.

- Viewtiful Joe. On PS2. Along with about a bazillion other beat-em-ups. God Hand is one that's recommended often. The Bouncer is a good value at $5, which it what it costs now. I'm not a big beat-em-up guy so I wouldn't know where to go past there. I wouldn't recommend Final Fight Streetwise to anyone, but it's there, along with other turds like Death by Degrees. If you want to go towards actiony brawlers, again I'll recommend DMC and Maximo.

- SSX 3. On PS2. Snowboarding is in decline, but PS2 has entries in snowboarding, BMX, skateboarding, and all other associated genres. Again, not my bag, but I'd recommend the other SSX entries as well as the earlier Tony Hawks (THPS 3, THPS 4, maybe Underground 1 if you like that stuff, Downhill Jam if you like the downhill format)

- Super Mario Sunshine. Platforming on the PS2 is great. You've got Klonoa, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, as well as multiplatform stuff like i-Ninja and Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy. That's a dozen suggestions right there!

Some whole genres do not exist on the GameCube, like rhythm games. If you like those... well, actually, you wouldn't know because they're not on the GameCube. On the PS2 they vary from the traditional (Space Channel 5 SE, Parappa 2) to rhythm-shooters (Rez) to music rhythm games (GH series got its start here, Frequency, Amplitude).

RPGs are almost non-existent on the Cube and one of the dominant genres on the PS2. I wouldn't even know where to start with recommendations for RPGs. DQ8, FFX, FFXII, Nocturne, Persona 3/4, Dark Cloud 2 and Disgaea 1 would probably give you a good breadth of jRPG types and major game manufacturers, but that's the tip of an iceberg.

What do you like that you find lacking on PS2?
(italic = I already have this game on another console)
As for Metroid Prime, I don't like FPS, I like Metroid Prime for the exploration aspect. I've played through Resident Evil 1 and 4 on the GameCube and have ED, but I didn't like RE1's controls, which are, sadly, a standard for the genre. I wouldn't want to play another horror game in the vein of RE1 (didn't play Zero much, I know Silent Hill 1 and 2 and despite nice atmosphere, I don't like the gameplay here either)

If I wanted Indigo Prophecy, I'd have it for Xbox. I'm from Germany, I don't care for football games at all, not a sports-gaming fan either.

I've played Soul Calibur 2 and 3, as well as Dead or Alive 2 for quite some time. I don't have a Soul Calibur or a DoA for any console I own, it's OK but nothing I'd spent much money on.

As for platforming: I have played Ratchet 2 and Jak 2 for quite some time, I don't like their approach towards platforming (as in: Shooting over platforming), I'll buy Jak 1 when I buy a PS2, though.

Why shouldn't I know wether I like rhythm games? Just because GameCube was my primary console last generation? It's not as if I didn't have any other consoles (Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, all the Nintendo ones and Xbox 360, I had a PSP, too) or friends who have consoles, too. I have played many PS2 games, I just don't own a PS2. Two of cousins have a PS2 and several friends do so, too.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Second said:
I'd say Riddick is also better than any Ps2 fps game. And Call of Cthulhu too, but that's debatable. :p

Escape from Butcher Bay was not possible on PS2 , hell even the remake on PS3 and Xbox360 look ugly :lol

Dark Corners of the Earth sucks hairy balls man ...but before the escape from the town the game was actually decent .

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yoshi said:
(italic = I already have this game on another console)

All quotes are in italics so I can't see what you wrote there.

As for Metroid Prime, I don't like FPS, I like Metroid Prime for the exploration aspect.

Dragon Quest VIII and King's Field IV would represent both the bright colourful world and the melancholy loneliness of Prime. They're both RPGs, though, but in terms of exploration they're two great PS2 exclusives.

As for platforming: I have played Ratchet 2 and Jak 2 for quite some time, I don't like their approach towards platforming (as in: Shooting over platforming), I'll buy Jak 1 when I buy a PS2, though.

You'd definitely like Rayman 2, Klonoa 2, and the Sly series then if you want to minimize the non-platforming elements. I'd also recommend Psychonauts, which you may have already played elsewhere.

Why shouldn't I know wether I like rhythm games? Just because GameCube was my primary console last generation? It's not as if I didn't have any other consoles (Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, all the Nintendo ones and Xbox 360, I had a PSP, too) or friends who have consoles, too.

okay, great, but when I wrote that post you hadn't listed the genres you liked so I was going off recommendations for a satisfied GameCube owner, and the rhythm genre would be something I'd think most GameCube owners missed almost entirely.

Yoshi

Second said:
Don't forget Disgaea. Also an strategic game.

But I guess Yoshi -as the name suggests- rather likes to play F-Zero instead of Burnout and Fire Emblem instead of Disgaea.

Nothing wrong with that. But you just can't ignore the Ps2 as a gamer imo.
F-Zero GX is my favourite racing game, but that doesn't mean I don't like Burnout. I'd prefer Burnout on Xbox over the PS2 version any day, though and as the series was present on GameCube for two installments and on Xbox after that I don't need a PS2 for that and I wouldn't buy the PS2 versions even if I had a PS2.

Stumpokapow said:
Strategy. I'm not sure if you mean SRPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics or RTSs or hex-strategy like Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
FFT. Of which I like the original btw.

Stumpokapow said:
"Skill Games". From the name skill games, I think you'd mean score attack / arcade games. I'd recommend Katamari Damacy here and to a lesser extent its sequel. THPS 3 and 4 are classic arcade games. The whole rhythm genre, which does not exist on the GameCube is good for this. Fantavision is a decent buy for the $5 it costs now. Lego Star Wars has score attack elements to it although it's pretty non-arcadey. There are some shmups like Raiden III and Gradius V that scratch an arcadey itch.

If you mean rolling ball games, I'd just recommend Katamari and Mercury Meltdown Remix. The Super Monkey Ball on PS2 is the worst installment of the series.
arcade games fits it quite well, all rolling ball games are included in this of course. Mercury Meltdown is available for Wii btw. THPS was on Cube, too, and I didn't like them as much as THPS2. Lego Star Wars isn't part of this genre imo, it's Action, and I've played through it on PSP. Dont like it at all, it's extremely repetetive.

Stumpokapow said:
All quotes are in italics so I can't see what you wrote there
Fixed that

Dragon Quest VIII and King's Field IV would represent both the bright colourful world and the melancholy loneliness of Prime. They're both RPGs, though, but in terms of exploration they're two great PS2 exclusives.
Dragon Quest 8 is one of the games I'll buy when I have a PS2 but which aren't games that make me buy a console.

You'd definitely like Rayman 2
Correct, hence, I've played through every version of Rayman 2 and own 3 versions of it (PC, DC, DS)
, Klonoa 2, and the Sly series then if you want to minimize the non-platforming elements. I'd also recommend Psychonauts, which you may have already played elsewhere.
If Klonoa 2 isn't going to be ported to Wii, I'll get it on PS2 I think. As for Sly... I'll have to play it beforehand, to check whether the stealth aspect bothers me too much. Correct on Psychonauts, have it on Xbox.

PS2 is probably my favorite console. While it doesn't have my absolute favorites in each genre (a lot of them are Nintendo games, or fof racing games it's the Xbox) it still has a lot of my favorites represented and a large number of really, really good games. I remember playing Yakuza 2 a couple months ago and remembering why the system is so damn good; 8 years of owning the system and I'm still playing a relatively new, amazing game on the system. I do like the PS3, though, if it was compared to how strong the PS2 was, it definetly seems like a letdown--but so does everything else.

N64 say hi, n64 might not had the amount, but in quality hardly anything psx, ever touched the output of ncl at that time....wave race, zelda, mario 64, pilotwings64......and lets not include rare....:p

Mareg

Thats great. I've been on the verge of buying a slim PS2 ever since they put them on the market. Guess this is time to bite.

You can never have enough PS2s when you have a batshit amount of PS1/PS2 games in the backlog. Golden era indeed.

Bluemercury said:
N64 say hi, n64 might not had the amount, but in quality hardly anything psx, ever touched the output of ncl at that time....wave race, zelda, mario 64, pilotwings64......and lets not include rare....:p

What place does the N64 have in this thread. Isn't this the second time you've pulled this shit in a PS2 discussion topic? Or was that some other N64 nut?

I'd consider getting a US PS2 simply because half of my library is imports. I dont think this console will ever be matched unless this gen really does last 10 years. Recently had to buy a second PS2 anyway since my old faithful one finally bit the dust and I was half way through Persona 4 :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yoshi said:
FFT. Of which I like the original btw.

Some of these are strategy RPGs, some of them are regular RPGs with strategy-ish battle systems. I'd recommend Disgaea 1. If you like Disgaea 1, you've got Disgaea 2, Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, and the rest of the N1 catalog to look forward to. Eternal Poison would give you a glimpse of how Flight Plan approach the genre. Culdcept is like Magic the Gathering as a strategy RPG. Front Mission 4 if you like mecha strategy games. Suikoden Tactics is well received.

All of these are PS2 exclusive.

If you really like the genre, there are also a ton of RPGs like the Mega Man X Command Mission that are regular RPGs with vaguely strategy-related battle systems. There's also marginal recommends if you like the genre like the Growlanser pack and Fallout Tactics.

This is a sort of weak genre on the PS2, but on the Xbox you've got... uh... and on the GCN you've got Fire Emblem, so you can see how even the slimness of the PS2's library in this respect is pretty meaty.

arcade games fits it quite well, all rolling ball games are included in this of course. Mercury Meltdown is available for Wii btw. THPS was on Cube, too, and I didn't like them as much as THPS2. Lego Star Wars isn't part of this genre imo, it's Action, and I've played through it on PSP. Dont like it at all, it's extremely repetetive.

It's true that if you own a Xbox 360, Wii, PSP, DS, GameCube, Xbox 1, Dreamcast, and Gaming PC, you will have played the multiplatform stuff--but I'd really beg the question of how you'd buy all of those consoles and not the PS2.

But again, sticking just to PS2 exclusives...

Katamari Damacy and its sequel are infinitely superior to the PSP and Xbox 360 versions, Fantavision. Aqua Aqua (Wetrix) is solid, Bombastic and Mojo! are more puzzley but still have that skill base to them. I'd also recommend Frequency and Amplitude which are very arcadey rhythm titles. Beatmania as well.

R0nn

it's too bad I don't really have any room for a decent SDTV anymore. Otherwise I'd pick one up in a heartbeat + PS2 Slimline to play some of my remaining PS2 backlog on it.

inner-G

Banned
R0nn said:
it's too bad I don't really have any room for a decent SDTV anymore. Otherwise I'd pick one up in a heartbeat + PS2 Slimline to play some of my remaining PS2 backlog on it.
Get a component cable. It's not THAT bad.

Yoshi

Stumpokapow said:
Some of these are strategy RPGs, some of them are regular RPGs with strategy-ish battle systems. I'd recommend Disgaea 1. If you like Disgaea 1, you've got Disgaea 2, Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, and the rest of the N1 catalog to look forward to. Eternal Poison would give you a glimpse of how Flight Plan approach the genre. Culdcept is like Magic the Gathering as a strategy RPG. Front Mission 4 if you like mecha strategy games. Suikoden Tactics is well received.

All of these are PS2 exclusive.

If you really like the genre, there are also a ton of RPGs like the Mega Man X Command Mission that are regular RPGs with vaguely strategy-related battle systems. There's also marginal recommends if you like the genre like the Growlanser pack and Fallout Tactics.
Thanks, I'll check some of those games.

It's true that if you own a Xbox 360, Wii, PSP, DS, GameCube, Xbox 1, Dreamcast, and Gaming PC, you will have played the multiplatform stuff--but I'd really beg the question of how you'd buy all of those consoles and not the PS2.
I don't have a gaming PC or more correctly, I don't use my PC to play games usually. I bought the other consoles because they had games which I absolutely had to have. I buy every Nintendo console because there's always a Mario coming out and with this being my favourite series it's a must have, so I got GameCube, DS and Wii. I bought a 360 because of all the HD exclusive stuff and Rare and the (imo) better controller giving the edge to the 360, I bought a Dreamcast for the best version of Rayman 2 and Sonic Adventure and I received a PSP to review PSP games. So, uhm, all consoles had a specific must have reason, the PS2 didn't have one to me yet, although I absolutely aknowledge that it has a vast library and some great exclusive games. It's just that there is no exclusive game I absolutely have to have, so I'll just buy a PS2 when it's cheap.

Top Bottom