• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pokémon Company speaks out against cheating

I don't understand.

- What is the “DNS trick” OP is talking about?
- Can't Game Freak make Apple ban these apps?
- Is there absolutely no way for Game Freak to implement security measures that would prevent this kind of hack?

Sounds like Game Freak is more at fault than hackers.

NewGame

Banned
I spent like 200 hours getting a perfect Eevee for a Vaporeon build. After looking at her I googled 'how to hack pokemon' and I never went back to the olden ways.

CTLance

I think what they should be doing is optionally remove IVs from competitive play so the nutters can theorycraft in peace without having to breed and train for hours on end. Just remove the incentive to cheat.

I do like IVs though, since they make Pokemon far more unique. I can catch or breed five Ratata, and none of them will be the same. That's a plus, for me. It means that shiny bidoof with the curiously high Defense values is extra special, it's "my shiny bidoof". So, in single player at least, I definitely want to keep that mechanic.

Or bind certain natures to certain IV setups so minmaxing introduces tangible weaknesses.

I dunno, really. I just catch em all every other gen.

Hurley

Man, I've only just started getting back into Pokemon with Black 2 and I come in this thread and ready about IV and EV.....I have no fucking clue what any of it means lol

JoeM86

I don't understand.

- Is there absolutely no way for Game Freak to implement security measures that would prevent this kind of hack?

1. Basically changing your console's DNS settings to connect to your own virtual server, or the one this app makes, in order for it to access the GTS and give you the Pokémon as if you deposited
2. I believe they're doing so
3. Not retroactively, no

Man, I've only just started getting back into Pokemon with Black 2 and I come in this thread and ready about IV and EV.....I have no fucking clue what any of it means lol

Basically, they are hidden values which aid on the stat growth of Pokémon. In each stat, a Pokémon has an IV of 0-31. Each IV point equates to 1 stat point at Level 100. These cannot be changed once you hatch/catch a Pokémon. EVs, however, are more trainable. You gain EVs by battling Pokémon, with each species giving a certain amount. You can have up to 510 EVs on your Pokémon, with a maximum of 255 in any stat. For every four EVs you gain in a stat, it equates to one stat point at Level 100 meaning the boost could be up to 63.

Basically, ignore these if you don't intend to become ultra competitive. I'm a fairly competitive battler and I don't obsess over them, and I still win the majority of my battles :)

Bulbasaur

Banned
I wouldn't even know where to begin cheating in Pokemon, and I don't understand why someone would want to. To me, raising Pokemon is most of the fun! Now, if only they'd take a stand against stupid trade requests in the GTS... Level 9 or under Reshiram my ass...

Getting your ass kicked by a pimply teen in a comp could drive a man to anything.

JoeM86

I'll be honest and say yes, at least for some people, it's a huge hassle.

The first Pokemon game I really played seriously was Diamond, and I was outraged at first when I learned that some Pokemon could only be evolved via trading, some of my favorites at that! Pretty much all of my DS owning friends didn't play Pokemon, and the wireless router at my place wasn't supported by Nintendo's WiFi connection. I had to go to a friend's house about 20 miles away just to trade over the internet. So, I eventually just bought a brand new DS, since the first one I had was a just a friend's that I bought for like $60. I did all my trading that way.

You may say "just buy a supported router". I could have, but I got the other DS instead, which was worth more to me than another wireless router.

Fast forward seven years later, I bought myself a 3DS, and I can actually connect to Nintendo's WiFi connection on my 3DS~! I should note that I have since changed wireless routers, but they are still unsupported by old DS systems. I guess because the routers are too new? Anyway, it doesn't matter.

So, in short, I say yes trading was a hassle for the fourth and fifth generation of Pokemon. For the upcoming sixth generation of Pokemon, I say it won't be a hassle. The changes to the online functionality of the 3DS, and just the changes that X and Y are making with it's online functions, takes a lot of the hassle out.

To be fair, Black, White, Black 2 & White 2 are compatible with the same routers as the 3DS when played on a DSi, DSi XL, 3DS or 3DS XL

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Pokemon company is the one to blame. All that unobtainable Pokemon bullshit, all that breeding bullshit, all that evolve via trading bullshit, and worst of them all: the ev & iv bullshit force you to cheat.

wat

the only legit complaint is IVs.

Unobtainable Pokemon and evolution via trading are pretty much easy to get especially if you are part of groups (Hi, PokéGAF!). Breeding is pretty much easy to understand, even its IV stuff. EVs is one of the easiest mechanics ever.

Seriously, I can understand IVs complaint, but not the rest. Sounds like a person not willing to read up.

1. Basically changing your console's DNS settings to connect to your own virtual server, or the one this app makes, in order for it to access the GTS and give you the Pokémon as if you deposited

So they created a system so terrible that you can fool it easily. Ridiculous.

I guess it's well-deserved then, hopefully they'll have more competent network devs for the next games.

JoeM86

I guess it's well-deserved then, hopefully they'll have more competent network devs for the next games.

It's not that it's terrible, it's just that the Pokémon hacking community is very determined

As said, IV's are an utter load of bullshit. Nothing but pure luck and persistence, yet can determine who wins in some cases. Not surprising that people would cheat. EV's are easy but obtuse.

What is the point of evolve by trade anyway?

Boss Doggie

As said, IV's are an utter load of bullshit. Nothing but pure luck and persistence, yet can determine who wins in some cases. Not surprising that people would cheat. EV's are easy but obtuse.

Evolve by trade should've let you retrieve your Pokemon anyway. Honestly the only good evolve by trade now is the gimmick of Karrablast and Shelmet.

And how are EVs obtuse? Only thing you really need to keep tabs on is how much you've put in a mon.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
As the leader of arguably the most prominent Pokémon community, I can tell you that it does affect "normal" players. Not a day goes by where I don't see someone new complaining about it.

If this is a problem to Pokémon, why doesn't the development team not just ditch the randomness and allows for everything to be in control for the player? I understand that they don't want ever level 100 Psyduck be an exact copy of each others, but you could just add items to rebalance some statistics (or give a choice of a value to increase additionally for every level up, kinda like Paper Mario does). Why resort to random values, which just make competitive Pokémon fighting super-unattractive anyway?

You can probably do that with any game as long as you can fake the server side end of it to give relevant data that the client thinks is correct (which is how you see private servers for MMOs and whatnot.)

Sandfox

To encourage trading

If this is a problem to Pokémon, why doesn't the development team not just ditch the randomness and allows for everything to be in control for the player? I understand that they don't want ever level 100 Psyduck be an exact copy of each others, but you could just add items to rebalance some statistics (or give a choice of a value to increase additionally for every level up, kinda like Paper Mario does). Why resort to random values, which just make competitive Pokémon fighting super-unattractive anyway?

I think the real problem is how hard it is for competitive players to control it. If they added another mechanic to make it easier to get hat you want it would be perfectly ok.

JoeM86

Because then everyone would just do the same stuff and thus everything will be the same. What the need to do is add a balance to IVs so it's impossible to have a "perfect" Pokémon.

They're genetic variances, that's the whole idea behind IVs and why baby Pokémon get some IVs from their parents.

With your idea, you're essentially wanting IVs to be a slightly more controlled EV system and that's a bit ridiculous.

Evolve by trade should've let you retrieve your Pokemon anyway. Honestly the only good evolve by trade now is the gimmick of Karrablast and Shelmet.

And how are EVs obtuse? Only thing you really need to keep tabs on is how much you've put in a mon.

Because there's no clear indication of their existence. Do the words "effort value" even appear in any Pokemon games? Even in BW2, by far the most competitive-friendly Pokemon game, you have to call Bianca and ask her to "check effort," and even then she's not going to include numbers in the answer. A stat is either maxed or it isn't.

I trade because I want other people to have Pokemon from me. I don't need some gimmick to make me do so. Evolving a Pokemon revolving around when/ if anyone else is available has just become incredibly annoying.

CTLance

I don't understand.

It's simple.

The game needs to connect to a certain server to access the GTS, let's call it gts.nintendo.net. That is not how the Internet works, however: it needs numbers, such as 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.2.8, which are called IP addresses. This is what happens when you browse the web, too, so it's not Gamefreak specific.

Normally, the Internet provider has a lookup table on a so-called DNS server that has all names and corresponding addresses and gives anyone that asks the corresponding Internet address so they can do their thing. Kind of like yellow pages.

The DNS trick is simple, you configure your game in such a way that it asks the wrong DNS server and gets the wrong address.

That wrong address leads to a server pretending to be the genuine trade server, so you can store and retrieve any kind of Pokemon there. More often than not you can then go to the server and modify the stored Pokemon to suit your tastes, then trade them back later.

There are ways to prevent that. One would be to just not use DNS at all and instead hardcode whatever IP address they want to access into the game. This creates problems though, for reasons beyond the scope of this post.

Another would be to use encryption. If they do a proper ssl tunnelled connection the fake server cannot pretend to be the trade server. They both show their credentials and the game immediately knows which one is genuine. Problem is, that requires resources, both on the server side and in the game console.

Third would be DNSsec, I believe... Technical as well.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Because then everyone would just do the same stuff and thus everything will be the same. What the need to do is add a balance to IVs so it's impossible to have a "perfect" Pokémon.

They're genetic variances, that's the whole idea behind IVs and why baby Pokémon get some IVs from their parents.

With your idea, you're essentially wanting IVs to be a slightly more controlled EV system and that's a bit ridiculous.

Why would everyone do the same? Specializing a Pokémon in a specific area or working on an allrounder should all be perfectly fine approaches, if the developers care to work the system out properly.

Robin64

If they stamp down on the methods that allow these exploits to take place in X/Y, then they'll also need to prevent transferring from past games. And to be honest, I LOVE that idea. It's time for a fresh start!

ALM5252

Me and my best friend have been hacking out Pokemon just to casually battle since Ruby and Sapphire. We only play against each other, so to us it isn't a big deal. It's always fun because we would go against each other and find out one of our Pokemon knows moves it shouldn't, like my fire Pikachu. Lol

But I understand other people's stance on the hacking of Pokemon. Not fun
when you're actually trying to play Competitively. I have legit Pokemon I raised and cared for, and hacked abominations used to play against my friend in separate boxes. :)

I think I would be very pleased if the 3DS remains unhackable and all methods of getting around server and connection checks are impossible, though I think it's probably a matter of time before it starts to get messy for all of us.

At least, if done right, we'll have hack-free online, even when done with random strangers, for the first few months.

Maybe that'll get me into active GTS trading. And random online battling. Making everything require actual effort to get to it and making it way harder to get "perfect" things... yeah.

Past Pokémon will be tagged as transferred, as always (it's already done). Whether they block illegal Pokémon from past games at transfer time is probably something very important.

cheaters never win

also, winners don't do drugs

but cheaters don't necessarily do drugs.

Nintendo Australia Tour a few years ago, each state pokemon winner got a year supply of games, most of the winners were know to use pokesav due to illegal moves.

Maybe gamefreak should finally take the time to streamline the process of raising pokemon. If things weren't so obtuse less people would search this kind of thing out.

JoeM86

Maybe gamefreak should finally take the time to streamline the process of raising pokemon. If things weren't so obtuse less people would search this kind of thing out.

They have already said that these values will be "more visible" in X & Y. Also, EV training was made MUCH easier in Black 2 & White 2

KNT-Zero

On one hand, I understand that having hacked Pokémon is basically ruining the whole game's experience and intention. But, on the other hand, I wouldn't blink to get a hacked Pokemon if it happened to be one of those Japan exclusives or roaming Pokémon. Specially the latter, I'm not gonna lose hours depending on so many random values (rate of appearance in a route, probability of it escaping, probability of capture) to get one single creature. This dynamic needs to change.

They have already said that these values will be "more visible" in X & Y. Also, EV training was made MUCH easier in Black 2 & White 2

EV training wasn't the hard part of raising pokemon. Regardless forgive me if i wait and see them actually back up those words. There has already been 5 gens of pokemon plus the extra remakes and IV's and raising pokemon in general is still a nightmare.

Madao

i'm all for IVs disappearing. those things are completely useless and we have EVs to make our pokes unique so the whole "every poke would be the same" wouldn't actually happen since some people focus on speed, others in defense, etc.
also, if they remove IVs in favor of focusing on EVs only, increase the maximum EV cap a bit.

Boss Doggie

Because there's no clear indication of their existence. Do the words "effort value" even appear in any Pokemon games? Even in BW2, by far the most competitive-friendly Pokemon game, you have to call Bianca and ask her to "check effort," and even then she's not going to include numbers in the answer. A stat is either maxed or it isn't.

I trade because I want other people to have Pokemon from me. I don't need some gimmick to make me do so. Evolving a Pokemon revolving around when/ if anyone else is available has just become incredibly annoying.

Usually you do trade evolve with known people anyway, so you expect them to return your mons. A good idea is to have both parties have trade-evolve so you both get the dex and the mons, so you have incentive to return-trade.

And like I said, that's the only problem with EV, and hopefully they rectify it in XY especially when they want EVs and IVs to be more visible.

JoeM86

EV training wasn't the hard part of raising pokemon. Regardless forgive me if i wait and see them actually back up those word. There has already been 5 gens of pokemon plus the extra remakes and IV's and raising pokemon in general is still a nightmare.

Well, again, we're not meant to have perfect Pokémon. IVs are meant to be a genetic variation, and you can pass them onto baby Pokémon if you do so wish. All they need to do is strike a balance to prevent perfect Pokémon from happening

To be fair, Black, White, Black 2 & White 2 are compatible with the same routers as the 3DS when played on a DSi, DSi XL, 3DS or 3DS XL

I see. I never did buy any version of the DSi. Only a first generaton DS and DSLite here. They served me well...at least until Black/White. Never did buy Black2/White2...so, no Accelgors or Escavaliers for me. Sad, too; those bugs are cool.

Well, again, we're not meant to have perfect Pokémon. IVs are meant to be a genetic variation, and you can pass them onto baby Pokémon if you do so wish. All they need to do is strike a balance to prevent perfect Pokémon from happening

I'm not talking about having perfect pokemon. When IV's can have such a huge impact on the quality of your pokemon and it takes forever to actually raise a party they should be a little bit more transparent.

In fact just making IV's visible from the get go would solve a lot of the problems.

If they were to do that, then every Pokémon of the same species would be identical until you added EVs and that is unacceptable.
Well add EVs to wild battle then? I think being to overcome adversaries like having too much attack EVs fits with the ethos of Pokemon well. Much better than eugenics.

Thankfully they are changing this by making EVs and IVs more transparent. Maybe that will finally help.
It'll give people excuses and/or be a discouragement to more casual players (i.e. people who save after picking up the egg and its stats set in stone and so for them it is more effort to fix the problem).

Man, i ain't even care about that. All I want is EXP multipliers so I don't have to spend 20,000 hours grindin.
I was under the impression BW and BW2 were good in this respect. Besides, I thought competitive play auto-levelled you.

Also the pick up ability giving rare candies (or did they removes this for gen 5).

To troll people by putting an Everstone as the hold item. Another thing that burned me out of Pokemon in DP era. Catching 'em all had too many complications to deal with that were just not fun (that was one of the last straws of "oh great I need to another one to hope I don't get trolled again").

Zelias

Banned
IVs badly need to be reworked. They're a nightmare, and the system kinda flies in the face of the message of the games - about how individual Pokemon should be respected and valued - by forcing players to mass breed and chuck out weaker Pokemon to create stronger Pokemon.

That legit players are automatically at a disadvantage against people who create legal, but cheated perfect Pokemon is also a sign that the system needs to change. Maybe Gen VI will do this. Not holding my breath though.

Rather than wasting time trying to stop people creating hacked Pokemon, they should try looking at why people do it and fix the underlying problems.

For starters the entire IV/EV system is complete bullshit, a bunch of numbers completely hidden from view that have a severe impact on your Pokemon's stats to the point of making them unusable in anything other than the main story. They keep on coming up with methods to try and make it more friendly, but fail on every attempt. Power items that either take ages to obtain, or simply can't even be found in the game. EV checkers that give out cryptic, useless information rather than hard numbers. PKRS that is even rarer to obtain than shinies. Buyable EV items that require stupid amounts of Magnemite Coil trading to get access to.

Either EVs and IVs need to be scrapped entirely and replaced with a better system, or we need to be able have full control over them. If I have to trawl the internet and read multiple guides to understand a significant gameplay mechanic that hasn't been explained, then the game is at fault. Considering parts of the main game use Pokemon with broken maxed IVs and EVs and you have to match these to stand a chance, it is about time they sorted the system out.

You've also got the stupid number of event Pokemon that are either exclusive to Japan (usually shinies or Pokemon with moves they can't normally obtain) or require you to visit distribution points in certain countries. Event Pokemon also cannot be nicknamed due to them having set trainer names, only a minor point but still an annoyance for some people.

Certain Pokemon also have legal moves that are completely inaccessible unless you want to run long, complex trading chains down from 10 year old games. Take Togepi for example, if you want Tri-Attack on it you need to trade from Pokemon XD on the Gamecube to one of the GBA games via a GBA and link cable, then to D/P/Pt or HG/SS via a DS Lite, then to B/W/B2/W2 by owning a second DS.

There are still no interesting methods from raising Pokemon levels either, everything comes down to slapping on a Lucky Egg and murdering Audinos for a very, very long time. Shocking surprise that some people probably don't want to do that for an entire party just to challenge high level content.

Then on top of that you've got the completely unfair shiny system. Ignoring the whole argument that they are meant to rare/unique/a bit of fun/whatever, the odds of obtaining one are completely ridiculous and it relies entirely on luck. I used to be severely against the cheaters/hackers, but after spending almost a decade trying to obtain a legitimate shiny Eevee and then watch it being given out free to people in the US who could visit certain event locations I stopped caring and hacked one. Why should I be penalised for living in the wrong country?

gngf123

Anyone know what the Pokemon Company thinks about RNG abuse?

It's a pretty good way to get around the non-perfect IV issue without the use of a cheating device, and back when I was more into competitive Pokemon, RNG abuse was controversial but allowed in tournaments.

I have absolutely zero issue with EV's except for the fact that they are hidden, which seems to be getting improved in X/Y.

JoeM86

I really don't get people calling for the removal of these features. IVs aren't meant to be "under our control". They are genetic diversity. Again, all they need to do is fix it so we can't have "perfect" Pokémon. Job done.

Complaining about event Pokémon is also ridiculous. They're meant to be event Pokémon, special gifts...not something everyone should have access to. It's no different to pre-order DLC except this typically doesn't keep you having a certain Pokémon.

Anyone know what the Pokemon Company thinks about RNG abuse?

It's a pretty good way to get around the non-perfect IV issue without the use of a cheating device, and back when I was more into competitive Pokemon, RNG abuse was controversial but allowed in tournaments.

I have absolutely zero issue with EV's except for the fact that they are hidden, which seems to be getting improved in X/Y.

They frown on it but they don't stop it since they can't trace it

The online Pokemon battling community has to be the only one that actively promotes 'cheating'. That's the reason I never battle online with anyone.

Anteo

Looks like they've adopted Iwata's catch-phrase LOL.

I heard Iwata was the producer of this game:

p2xBR8L.png

I really don't get people calling for the removal of these features. IVs aren't meant to be "under our control". They are genetic diversity. Again, all they need to do is fix it so we can't have "perfect" Pokémon. Job done.

This pretty much invalidates the competitive mindset and balance Joe. simple as that.

Randdalf

Couldn't they fix this by using cryptography? i.e. Pokemon data is hashed in such a way that the hash code is practically impossible to forge, and then that code is sent with the Pokemon data. The code is then verified by the game, and since it is impossible to forge the hash code, then it is impossible to create illegal Pokemon. Or do they already do this? The problem here is people hacking the ROM to find the key which breaks the security.

Hex

Banned
I have always thought how lame you really have to be to cheat in Pokemon and have to hack or mod in Pokemon.
My gf's 18 year old son got some shinies through hacks a couple of years back and I still mock the hell out of him for it every time someone mentions a shiny Pokemon.
As far as stats, if you can not do it legit then you should not be competing.
I know others do it, I am sure others do it which is stupid and they should fix the system and stop making it so easy to do it.

Complaining about event Pokémon is also ridiculous. They're meant to be event Pokémon, special gifts...not something everyone should have access to. It's no different to pre-order DLC except this typically doesn't keep you having a certain Pokémon.

They frown on it but they don't stop it since they can't trace it

I find myself liking you.

KLonso

The reason most people would hack pokemon is so they can play competitively, which is completely reasonable in my opinion. That way the competitive scene is more about tactics and strategies, and less about how lucky you are catching pokemon or how much time you spend breeding them

Kokonoe

Banned
I have always thought how lame you really have to be to cheat in Pokemon and have to hack or mod in Pokemon.
My gf's 18 year old son got some shinies through hacks a couple of years back and I still mock the hell out of him for it every time someone mentions a shiny Pokemon.
As far as stats, if you can not do it legit then you should not be competing.
I know others do it, I am sure others do it which is stupid and they should fix the system and stop making it so easy to do it.

As with the current system, IVs, which in turn are random, can have high enough in one stat on that specific IV that any person just can't get, or even earn, it's entirely random. It is very much unlike EVs, not that earning digital numbers to be able to compete is really something one should hold with prestige in the first place, but still.

So let's say you enter a tournament and someone has maxed out IV in speed, and you literally don't stand a chance because they've already buffed themselves, even if you worked all your time leveling up your EVs, your Pokemon would still be inferior at the end of the day because they aren't using the best of the IVs stats, which are entirely random.

I'd say when you're trying to win the lottery just so you can even compete, that would justify messing around with numbers.

Pokemon battling should be more about your battling skills, guessing game skills, and knowledge over grinding random number generators.

Top Bottom