• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

ilikeme

Played up until
finding Ivy's second tree. Going down into the underground tunnels
and now I'm realizing what a bore so much of the game is. So much repetition and boring segments of nothing with an annoying voice talking over my shoulder.

Loved some parts of it though. Fantastic presentation and great to move around in the city. Really liked seeing the crooks holed up in GCPD after I was done with them. Neat details overall. Really liked the short, non-repetitive
encounter with Hush.

Lots of potential spoiled I feel when you have a great core system (movement and battles) and just make everything a repetitive slog to go through.

^^ I have a gtx 970, 8gb ram and a i7 4790. Runs a smooth 60 through most of the game, some (very mild) stutter here and there. I have the smoke/shadows and newspaper stuff turned off. I have no idea why it should be a stuttering mess for you.

So I picked up AK in the Xbox Summer Sale and finally put in about six hours but I'm struggling to continue now.

I've been gaming for nearly 30 years and have beat both the other Rocksteady Batman games but the controls in this one are killing me.

At any given moment you have more than a dozen options for what to do. Whether you're just perched on a gargoyle, driving the batmobile or in the heat of combat you have a laundry list of available commands at your fingertips. I presume this is supposed to promote choice and variety in the gameplay but I am just finding it difficult to remember what button or combination of buttons does what.

I love the voice acting and graphical style this series has given the Batman universe but my enjoyment of this entry in particular is being severely hampered by the complexity of the controls.

Anybody else wrestle with this in this entry?

SJRB

Gold Member
So I picked up AK in the Xbox Summer Sale and finally put in about six hours but I'm struggling to continue now.

I've been gaming for nearly 30 years and have beat both the other Rocksteady Batman games but the controls in this one are killing me.

At any given moment you have more than a dozen options for what to do. Whether you're just perched on a gargoyle, driving the batmobile or in the heat of combat you have a laundry list of available commands at your fingertips. I presume this is supposed to promote choice and variety in the gameplay but I am just finding it difficult to remember what button or combination of buttons does what.

I love the voice acting and graphical style this series has given the Batman universe but my enjoyment of this entry in particular is being severely hampered by the complexity of the controls.

Anybody else wrestle with this in this entry?

It can be a bit overwhelming during combat when there are like 6 archetypes at the same time and each one requires a special kind of attack. Some of the group fights in the later parts of the game can be pretty brutal.

But other than that I don't really remember having difficulties with the controls. I think it's important to experiment and figure out what approach works for you. While it's true that the game hands you a lot of tools to get things done, you by no means have to use them all. In fact, I never use at least half of the upgrades and tools.

One of my complaints was that there are too many different types of enemies you face at once, for sure. Way too easy to hit the wrong guy and get stunned, or lose your combo. And I love the combat in Asylum/City/Origins.

Vic_Viper

Just finished downloading and installing the Arkham Knight complete edition I bought on Steam when it was on sale. A big reason I got it was to checkout all the DLC stuff, especially the Season of Infamy. How do I start the Season of Infamy? Do I need to reach a certain point in the main story first? It's not listed in the Arkham Episodes section in the main menu.

Xux

Just finished downloading and installing the Arkham Knight complete edition I bought on Steam when it was on sale. A big reason I got it was to checkout all the DLC stuff, especially the Season of Infamy. How do I start the Season of Infamy? Do I need to reach a certain point in the main story first? It's not listed in the Arkham Episodes section in the main menu.
It's just extra sidequests in the main game. Mad Hatter should be in the GCPD and the other three should be marked on the map.

Planning on picking this up. Was wondering if I could play the game with the Batman versus Superman skin from the start. I like my batman with short ears.

Planning on picking this up. Was wondering if I could play the game with the Batman versus Superman skin from the start. I like my batman with short ears.
Pretty sure you can, but you'd be missing out on one of my favorite things from the Arkham games, the suit getting damaged over the course of the game.

Ok just picked this up. Got it new for $20 which is sweet. Eager to get home and boot it up.

Edit: holy shit, why is there a 7 gig update file? Wtf?!?!

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/batman-arkham-knight-bundle

Is this the cheapest the game + all DLC has been on PC from an authorized retailer? Might have to double dip for $20 CDN. GTX 1060 should be able to handle 60fps right?

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB

arkhamknight_1920_1080.png

dcx4610

LTTP on this one but I finally just finished it on PC.

When I say finally, I mean FINALLY. I can't believe how long the game was. I enjoyed it but I didn't expect RPG-like hours to finish the game. By
15 hours in I was wondering if it was ever going to end
10 hours later
I finally beat it but without the full Riddler ending which would have likely added another 5 hours.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the Joker stuff. It honestly was incredible and it got multiple jump scars out of me and Mark Hamill just absolutely killed it with his acting. Easily my favorite Joker performance of all time. Yes, better than Ledger.

The only downside were the endless drone battles. They weren't fun and they were constant. There was so many that I had to knock my score down. The Batmobile was fun but there was too much of it whereas the previous Arkham games felt more like Batman. This was half Batman, half racing and car battle game.

Other than that, a solid entry with amazing graphics, good acting, good sound, good variety and pretty shocking scenes at times. 8/10

Ephemeris

Pretty much 100%'d it on normal and realized I never played the Season of Infamy DLC and all I have left for the Platinum trophy is completing it on hard.

Some things caught me off guard (riddler fight was a pain since I was rusty) but man, it was OH SO NICE to just plow through the game and having the riddler trophies already complete.

Last story section completed was
my dropping off Ivy at the big tree and using Sonar to find the roots.

Still the best Batman game ever.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I picked this up second hand today after getting a PS4 for Christmas, looking forward to getting stuck in as I really enjoyed the previous games in the series.

I saw the season pass being talked up a lot - I'm not huge on buying more challenge maps etc but would be keen on the extra story content. I can see that Season of Infamy is on sale at the moment, am I good to just pick this up or will I be missing out on anything special? It's £5 for that vs £15 for the full season pass.

I picked this up second hand today after getting a PS4 for Christmas, looking forward to getting stuck in as I really enjoyed the previous games in the series.

I saw the season pass being talked up a lot - I'm not huge on buying more challenge maps etc but would be keen on the extra story content. I can see that Season of Infamy is on sale at the moment, am I good to just pick this up or will I be missing out on anything special? It's £5 for that vs £15 for the full season pass.

Season of Infamy and the Bat girl stuff is by far the meatiest of the DLC. I would say you arent missing much just going with Season of Infamy though. The Batgirl stuff gives you a new "open" location but its pretty short and while there is some Riddler type secrets to be found, it can be completed pretty quickly and the story is total throw away and inconsequential. Season of Infamy actually gives you a few cool missions with the baddies from previous games. The Mr. Freeze stuff is my favorite.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Season of Infamy and the Bat girl stuff is by far the meatiest of the DLC. I would say you arent missing much just going with Season of Infamy though. The Batgirl stuff gives you a new "open" location but its pretty short and while there is some Riddler type secrets to be found, it can be completed pretty quickly and the story is total throw away and inconsequential. Season of Infamy actually gives you a few cool missions with the baddies from previous games. The Mr. Freeze stuff is my favorite.

Yeah, the Batgirl DLC was the only other one I was thinking of picking up. I think I'll go with Season of Infamy alone for now as it's on sale currently, I can always pick up Batgirl if I feel like I'm missing out later on or there's a sale.

Looks like the season pass was on sale for £7.99 in September, shame I didn't have the game then!

Wootball

Apologies for going back in time - I just got this for Xbox One and although I'm enjoying it, it pisses me off that there's pretty much no reminder of how to do anything. I played AA, played about 6 or 7 hours of AC and haven't touched a Batman game since then, and now I can't remember how to do pretty much anything and the game doesn't have any sort of tutorial :(

SJRB

Gold Member
Apologies for going back in time - I just got this for Xbox One and although I'm enjoying it, it pisses me off that there's pretty much no reminder of how to do anything. I played AA, played about 6 or 7 hours of AC and haven't touched a Batman game since then, and now I can't remember how to do pretty much anything and the game doesn't have any sort of tutorial :(

But everything up until after the Ace Chemicals sequence is one big tutorial? I'm not sure what you mean.

The game doesn't even tell you how to block. The new stuff is explained, the game assumes you know all the old stuff.

There is no "block" button, only reversals. Its been a while since I looked around in the menus but in Arkham City there is a screen that shows all your abilities and you can click on them to see a little tutorial blurb on how to do it, pretty sure Knight has something similar.

BTW, reversals is triangle on PS4 and Y (I think) on XB1.

Sober

Open the map (back/touchpad) -> go to Waynetech (The big W icon) -> middle icon has a catalogue of all the starting/basic controls and moves (like literally anything you could need), most of them come with videos to show what is going on.

Yes, there is a lot.

Edit: that's the closest to a tutorial/manual I could find, as they sort of assume you have kept a lot of the knowledge from the previous games.

I believe in the AR challenges menu there are actually flat out tutorial simulations you can always replay, those teach you the bare basics to combat, predator, traversal and batmobile usage.

Paganmoon

So, I recently got back to this, figuring I'd go through all the DLC that's been released since I stopped playing (Played Harley Quinn and Batgirl packs already). So after clearing Season of Infamy and thorougly enjoying it, I went back and replayed the game on Knightmare mode, which really wasn't -that- hard. Such a fun game really, it's got it's minor issues, and annoyances in fights, but nothing show stopping.
Noticed now that I've done pretty much all of the main game throphies already, minus Brutality 101. Gave a try at it yesterday after finishing my Knightmare playthrough, and that shit is fucking near impossible.I just can't get 15 different combos done, without resetting the freeflow, either by doublepressing a combo, not being close enough when doing something, sending a batarang into nothing, or getting hit.
Going to be one of those games stuck at 99% trophy completion for me.

But damn, it really was a fun game.

So, I recently got back to this, figuring I'd go through all the DLC that's been released since I stopped playing (Played Harley Quinn and Batgirl packs already). So after clearing Season of Infamy and thorougly enjoying it, I went back and replayed the game on Knightmare mode, which really wasn't -that- hard. Such a fun game really, it's got it's minor issues, and annoyances in fights, but nothing show stopping.
Noticed now that I've done pretty much all of the main game throphies already, minus Brutality 101. Gave a try at it yesterday after finishing my Knightmare playthrough, and that shit is fucking near impossible.I just can't get 15 different combos done, without resetting the freeflow, either by doublepressing a combo, not being close enough when doing something, sending a batarang into nothing, or getting hit.
Going to be one of those games stuck at 99% trophy completion for me.

But damn, it really was a fun game.

I did Brutality 101 in one of the AR Challenges. I believe it was the one where you team up with Robin on the roof of a building. It was pretty easy from there as it has a little of everything, including some environmental takedown stuff. Took maybe 2 or 3 tries, but I did have my GF help me out. Basically, I wrote down a list of the different moves and called out when I did one. She ticked it off the list and when I started running out of ideas I's ask for another move and she'd tell me one I hadn't done yet.

Keep the thugs reasonably full of health and the combo going by doing one move immediately followed by an evade over a thug. don't be afraid of doing the same move over and over as long as you keep the combo unbroken. eventually it'll just pop.

Paganmoon

I did Brutality 101 in one of the AR Challenges. I believe it was the one where you team up with Robin on the roof of a building. It was pretty easy from there as it has a little of everything, including some environmental takedown stuff. Took maybe 2 or 3 tries, but I did have my GF help me out. Basically, I wrote down a list of the different moves and called out when I did one. She ticked it off the list and when I started running out of ideas I's ask for another move and she'd tell me one I hadn't done yet.

Keep the thugs reasonably full of health and the combo going by doing one move immediately followed by an evade over a thug. don't be afraid of doing the same move over and over as long as you keep the combo unbroken. eventually it'll just pop.

Yeah, I think that's the one I tried, the one with Robin on the rooftop (or was it Nightwing I had?). I've tried 10 or so times, will try to give it another few goes.

Yeah, I think that's the one I tried, the one with Robin on the rooftop (or was it Nightwing I had?). I've tried 10 or so times, will try to give it another few goes.

The list idea was by far the best method. There's way more than 15 comboable moves, but once you get 8-10 in you somehow forget which ones you've done and which ones you haven't.

I've gotta do the same one in Arkham City remastered, and will likely do the same thing again as I lose track too easily.

SGRU

I'm trying to get this Riddler trophy, but I can't use the line launcher, no matter how.

Bleake_Trophy33P3.jpg

Is this trophy glitched? It just won't let me use the line launcher, I've tried in many different places...

SGRU

Thanksss!!! It worked.

I was doing like in this video:

https://youtu.be/6JN0vSWD890?t=1192

The problem is it wouldn't let me fire the line when standing on the wall, but with the instructions in your video it was much easier.

How hard is to get the platinum? I'm only a few trophies away...

Paganmoon

Thanksss!!! It worked.

I was doing like in this video:

https://youtu.be/6JN0vSWD890?t=1192

The problem is it wouldn't let me fire the line when standing on the wall, but with the instructions in your video it was much easier.

How hard is to get the platinum? I'm only a few trophies away...

if you've already gotten the "Brutality 101" it's really not that hard. I'm personally stuck on that one, so no platinum for me, last trophy:)

Hate to bump this but hopefully someone has an idea on how to fix this.

So I'm going through some of my old PS4 games, passing the time. I wanted to boot up Arkham Knight as its been a while, and I haven't played it on my Pro ever. I had installed all the DLC a bit ago to my Pro but hadn't opened the game on the Pro yet.

So I put the disc in, see the first few company/publisher/tech used screens, and then the loading batarang...for like, 2 minutes. Which is super long. I finally get to the title screen and press X. As soon as I get to the menu and check the Extras section, I get a screen that says the DLC is downloading with 19 percent done, but the time remaining was, like...1447:24:49. That's 1447 days, 24 hours, and 49 minutes.

WTF. Has this happened with anyone before?

drotahorror

Is it possible to play this game maxed out w/o any issues on PC?

Every time I play with settings cranked up (some things off, for personal reasons, CA, film grain, etc) I get freezes when in the batmobile.

If I turn off nvidia smoke and interactive debris it's fine though. Those 2 settings cause some sort of fuckery that I can't fix.

-Deimos

Is it possible to play this game maxed out w/o any issues on PC?

Every time I play with settings cranked up (some things off, for personal reasons, CA, film grain, etc) I get freezes when in the batmobile.

If I turn off nvidia smoke and interactive debris it's fine though. Those 2 settings cause some sort of fuckery that I can't fix.
The Nvidia effects caused bad memory leaks when I played through it.

Gorger

I see the season pass is on sale right now on PS4, but it includes the main game which I already have. Is it possible to buy the season pass for the Playstation without buying the main game?

Blue Lou

aett

I just replayed Asylum and City for the millionth time thanks to the Return to Arkham collection being on sale recently. I haven't played through Knight since it launched and didn't check out any of the DLC because I heard the first few pieces were either bad or way too short, and I don't care about skins, challenges, or new race tracks - only new story-type content. Season of Infamy sounds awesome, for instance. Anything else worth getting?

Sober

No but it also doesn't seem entirely correct either even if it is true. There are for instance, a few ramp jumps that require afterburner to make jumps to simply progress in the story. There are times where making a jump off a ramp at full speed with and without the afterburning gives you different distance. Assuming you want to take the lie halfway. maybe the afterburner lets you hit top speed right away to make these jumps. I would take that with a grain of salt though I assume the writer actually checked to make sure the anonymous AK dev actually worked on the game.

I just replayed Asylum and City for the millionth time thanks to the Return to Arkham collection being on sale recently. I haven't played through Knight since it launched and didn't check out any of the DLC because I heard the first few pieces were either bad or way too short, and I don't care about skins, challenges, or new race tracks - only new story-type content. Season of Infamy sounds awesome, for instance. Anything else worth getting?
Just buy the season pass, you get everything anyway. If you like the old style of combat challenge maps or more predator maps you'll get those. Plus all the other side characters like Robin and stuff you never really take control of but have their own mini story content (literally a mix of 2 or so combat and predator challenges mixed together with some VO for story) plus selection in challenge maps. Otherwise, Season of Infamy and A Matter of Family are the really only two big real story DLCs.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Completed the main story last night. That final mission was superb. I'd say Arkham has the best main story in the series, pipping Origins by quite a bit.

My biggest problem with the game so far is the auto-aim in combat. In previous enteries, the game prioritised the enemies I pointed the left-stick toward. Dunno how it did that witchcraft, but it very rarely attacked anyone I didn't want it to, regardless of the crowd density.

Arkham Knight though...

I'll point my left-stick at a medic a little bit away and it'll get the standard grunt standing next to me; I'll try an Triangle-Circle on a Ninja directly next to me, and it'll fly off to some dude miles behind him. I feel like I'm wrestling with the combat controls far more than in previous games. Are they more sensitive? Are the numerous enemy types messing with the auto-aim's priorities? I dunno.

Anyone else have that problem?

I'll point my left-stick at a medic a little bit away and it'll get the standard grunt standing next to me; I'll try an Triangle-Circle on a Ninja next to me, and it'll fly off to some dude miles behind him. I feel like I'm wrestling with the combat controls far more than in previous games. Are they more sensitive? Are the numerous enemy types messing with the auto-aim's priorities? I dunno.

Anyone else have that problem?

Just replayed the four big Arkham games and yes, I've noticed something like this happening in big groups. I can't recall if it happened due to enemy-type priority (maybe Instant Takedown prioritized other enemy types over ninjas), but I have had where I've attacked an enemy I didn't intend to. Not to mention the Batmobile Takedown having the same input as Weapon Steal, but that's almost never an issue because you're still taking someone out and it only really happens outside in the streets with fodder goons.

That all is less a knock against Knight as it is praise for City which I don't recall ever having the problem, at least not in a notable way, even against big groups.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Just replayed the four big Arkham games and yes, I've noticed something like this happening in big groups. I can't recall if it happened due to enemy-type priority (maybe Instant Takedown prioritized other enemy types over ninjas), but I have had where I've attacked an enemy I didn't intend to. Not to mention the Batmobile Takedown having the same input as Weapon Steal, but that's almost never an issue because you're still taking someone out and it only really happens outside in the streets with fodder goons.

That all is less a knock against Knight as it is praise for City which I don't recall ever having the problem, at least not in a notable way, even against big groups.

You're right, City did not have any issues with targeting as I recall. It's a damn shame because it's a black spot on otherwise impressively solid entry. I'm working my way through the Most Wanted at the moment. If they're any good, this could've nabbed the top spot, imo, frustrating as a few of that last Riddler Race was.

Side note:
Red Hood
gameplay could easily - if mashed up with Max Payne 3 - be the basis for a John Wick game. :)

I'm trying to get this Riddler trophy, but I can't use the line launcher, no matter how.

Bleake_Trophy33P3.jpg

Is this trophy glitched? It just won't let me use the line launcher, I've tried in many different places...

I had the exact problem a few days ago, if you are playing with a controller you literally can't push a direction at all, you have to click the stick to use the line launcher but not move it in any direction, it's a fucking nightmare

Top Bottom