• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic unveils Yooka-Laylee (Banjo Kazooie successor) [Kickstarter LIVE - Funded]

The only thing missing, IMO, is some kind of simplistic clothes for them (like DK's tie or Diddy's shirt + cap). Right now, they look good, but rather bland.

SDCowboy

Anyone else like the characters in concept, but feel like they need to be fleshed out a bit more? To me they seem a bit too basic right now, IMO.

Neiteio

Really? they're going for a blatant ripoff?

Like, the name is a bit much for me.
lol, they're paying homage to their previous game, the magic of which this title is hoping to recapture (and refine, and improve).

I think it's quite alright in this case.

NOW SHOW ME THE VILLAIN.

Neiteio

Here's an idea someone can pitch to Playtonic:

Collectible clothing.

I'm fine with them being nakey by default, but it'd be a cool collectible to outfit them with shorts, etc.

The coins/collectible things look kinda generic (the coin with the blue triangle). DK has bananas, this Yooka-Laylee could have fruits? (Bats eat fruits right?)

muteki

Looks amazing. To me for BK the levels and atmosphere made the game more than the characters, lets see how that goes.

Am I blind? Where is there a video?

The bat looks disturbing to me for some reason; the lizard not so much.

Hype slightly down, wasn't too high to begin with though.

Kouichi

Oh my goodness, they're adorable <3 How much money do I need to put in for an Amiibo?!

And that gameplay! I'm ready to toss money now!

They look a bit generic, but I'm still excited. That name though. I hope Laylee is a girl, but maybe they didn't want to plagiarize Banjo-Kazooie too much.

I kinda wish it wasn't such a clear copy of Banjo in so many ways. Felt the same way about Mighty No. 9. I know they designed the originals too but it makes it look like the designers are one trick ponies.

NotLiquid

Didn't the composer said the project was dead ?

I'm quite confused here.

And I want this game.

Things changed in big ways after Chris Sutherland was confirmed to be let go from Rare a month later.

Nice designs. The nose is a bit too much, but hey.

The level looks a bit barren, though.

It looks a lot more like a devroom than a fully fleshed out level at the moment. Kind of like that old Miyamoto adage when making Mario 64 - focus first on making the act of moving character be fun before doing the levels. Obviously will have more stuff in it when it's done.

Do we know the name of the game. As long as it's not called Yooka-Laylee I'm fine.

It's the name of the game.

atbigelow

Do we know the name of the game. As long as it's not called Yooka-Laylee I'm fine.

I have some bad news for you...

As a note, I wish Yooka had some clothes. I loved that Banjo had shorts and a backpack for whatever reason. Gave the dialogue a lot of ammunition.

Cody_D165

Banned

uh, it's probably, yknow, in the giant logo

yookatweetjpg-ec2c31.jpg

Well so does K. Rool (and I say this as a K. Rool fan), but it's the personality the game gives them that will make them work.

K. Rool wears a crown and a cape. They're wearing... nothing. I like the designs, but they feel almost too minimalist. Give them shoes or something.

Neiteio

I kinda wish it wasn't such a clear copy of Banjo in so many ways. Felt the same way about Mighty No. 9. Makes it look like the designers are one trick ponies.
But if you watch the gameplay, it's not a straight copy. It seems to be incorporating new mechanics like the DKCR roll (in 3D!) that give it a new rhythm and flow.

Gsnap

I kinda wish it wasn't such a clear copy of Banjo in so many ways. Felt the same way about Mighty No. 9. I know they designed the originals too but it makes it look like the designers are one trick ponies.

I see it more as them not being able to do everything they wanted to do with the old series due to circumstances beyond their control.

woopWOOP

Oh wow, that video looks great already. 'S gonna be a long wait.

The bat's obviously going to be the wise cracking loudmouth with that face of his.

Right, because it's called Nanjo Bazooie

Were you whining about Mighty's name starting with an M?

no, but I'd be whining if it was called anything -man. Because that would be a tacky and lazy title for something that should be able to stand on its own as a unique product.

Top Bottom