• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

jstripes

Banned
Man, so this really is the end of Twin Peaks, isn't it? Loose ends are being tied up pretty rapidly.

Also, the Roadhouse all being in Audrey's mind, like predicted, made sense of James being a musician there, but a cop in real life.

Chitown B

Man, so this really is the end of Twin Peaks, isn't it? Loose ends are being tied up pretty rapidly.

Also, the Roadhouse all being in Audrey's mind, like predicted, made sense of James being a musician there, but a cop in real life.

Shelly, James, Richard. Anyone else we've seen outside the Roadhouse? Those three are all people she knows, and artists she knows (NIN, PJ). I mean she may not know Richard.

Happy first birthday to 'Total Depravity" by The Veils https://twitter.com/therealelp/status/902577415603486720

That ending scene of Yi screaming as the light started strobing (so Laura Palmer esque) as the song played was one of my favorite episode enders ever

In fact I think this season has had the best episode closers in a long time for me. The musical performances (and in other cases soundtrack) with the movie style credits looped over set it apart from everything else. Love it

James is in (real) jail for a fight at the Roadhouse.

Jb

I guess it means Audrey's a big ZZ Top fan as well.

soundtest

Banned
did the show ever explain what happened to donna? i honestly have zero recollection of what they did with her at the end of season 2, if anything at all.

Arkanius

I still can't explain why the "I am the FBI" scene hit me like a truck
But it seems everyone on Reddit was impacted as well

Damn

Can't wait for the two hours finale.

jon_i634

Banned
did the show ever explain what happened to donna? i honestly have zero recollection of what they did with her at the end of season 2, if anything at all.

Pretty sure the last time we saw her, Warren Frost was pushing Ben Horne into the fireplace and he cracked his forehead off of the mantle or something like that? I'm sure all the characters and stuff that haven't shown up this season will be in Mark Frost's new book, The Final Dossier.

Joqu

At the end of season 2 she learned Ben Horne is her biological father. Caused lots of drama, doc Hayward knocked Ben out and it looked pretty serious, stuff like that. But that's about it and Ben is looking just fine unless he's in a dream too.

As for now? James was in a motorcycle accident, and he's quiet now. Clearly Donna is fucking dead.

She probably isn't dead

thenexus6

#fordougie

V2Fk3ei.jpg

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It feels weird we got to OT2 literally right before the finale, but is what it is.

Onwards to the last two parts! There probably will be a lot to discuss with the finale and the rest of the series in retrospective, to be fair.

sappyday

It's been an amazing ride that's for sure. This season of twin peaks is probably my favorite piece of television since Breaking Bad season 4.

Joqu

It feels weird we got to OT2 literally right before the finale, but is what it is.

Onwards to the last two parts! There probably will be a lot to discuss with the finale and the rest of the series in retrospective, to be fair.

It does feel weird, but I kind of like it? It getting its very own thread does make the finale feel all the more special.

And yeah, hopefully enough people stick around some after the finale. There'll be plenty to discuss.

Dusk Golem

#fordougie

V2Fk3ei.jpg

I know many wanted to see Cooper back for so long, and I completely understand as Cooper has always been one of my favorite television protagonist, but I admit I'll miss Dougie and his antics. I started to like them in Part 6 and started to like them more and more as they went on.

It's been an amazing ride that's for sure. This season of twin peaks is probably my favorite piece of television since Breaking Bad season 4.

The third season has personally cemented the show as my all time favorite tv show, the original series I was pretty sure was my favorite television show for years but the third season has solidified it for me.

:) ALL.

At the end of season 2 she learned Ben Horne is her biological father. Caused lots of drama, doc Hayward knocked Ben out and it looked pretty serious, stuff like that. But that's about it and Ben is looking just fine unless he's in a dream too.

NO SHE DIDN'T.

DADDY YOU'RE MY DADDY.

Look, I know they all but spelled it out, but since no one ever actually went and confirmed it out loud or with on screen evidence to that effect, I choose (and I think David and Mark may have made a similar choice) just to presume it never happened.

BTA

As for now? James was in a motorcycle accident, and he's quiet now. Clearly Donna is fucking dead.

She probably isn't dead

I'm still surprised Donna hasn't been around, particularly since both actresses seem to still be working? Her absence/lack of a mention has felt odd even though I guess no one that was close to her has really been shown in a situation where talking about her would be merited.

If Gersten shows up in the finale given Steven's (likely?) suicide maybe we'll probably get a mention there.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
"People are under a lot of stress, Bradley"

amazing

Joqu

NO SHE DIDN'T.

DADDY YOU'RE MY DADDY.

Look, I know they all but spelled it out, but since no one ever actually went and confirmed it out loud or with on screen evidence to that effect, I choose (and I think David and Mark may have made a similar choice) just to presume it never happened.

I mean, I don't see why David and Mark would have made that choice when fucking Wally Brando is a thing, but I guess you can choose to believe that. But just because Ben were to turn out to be her biological father doesn't mean she can't choose to reject him, or you know, end up having two father figures in her life. She was still raised by Will Hayward, it doesn't change that.

I actually feel somewhat strongly about this as someone who never particularly shared a connection with his biological father, lol. But it was an awful plot thread outside of the glorious violence at the end.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if it's addressed in the Final Dossier book in some form. Season 3 ain't gonna do it.

I'm still surprised Donna hasn't been around, particularly since both actresses seem to still be working? Her absence/lack of a mention has felt odd even though I guess no one that was close to her has really been shown in a situation where talking about her would be merited.

It's not that surprising knowing the backstory; the other actors hated working with LFB (well, except Kyle, heh), and she has altered her appearance to the point of being unrecognizable. I guess they could've used the recast Donna from FWWM though...

Never thought I'd like jim belushi in something.

Seriously! When those two characters were introduced, I could never have imagined I'd enjoy them as much as I do now.

Which goes for a lot of this run of the show tbh.

There are still some elements I'm puzzled over, but so much that initially rubbed me the wrong way has become some of my favorite things that I can't even sweat the stuff I'm still puzzled by.

Joqu

"People are under a lot of stress these days"

amazing

"Oh.

Goodbye, my son."

"I am the FBI."

And that one. Some amazing quotes in 16 for sure. I'm especially gonna miss Doppel Coop's weird comedic thing he's got going for him, it's pretty great.

I haven't given it much thought since the season started, but it's really puzzling why Ontkean decided not to reprise his role after initially being so excited. I know Forster has been a great stand in as his brother, but after just finishing the original series again I need to see the bromance reunited. One of my favorite bits from the finale is Harry waiting outside of Glastonbury Cove.

BTA

I mean, I don't see why David and Mark would have made that choice when fucking Wally Brando is a thing, but I guess you can choose to believe that. But just because Ben were to turn out to be her biological father doesn't mean she can't choose to reject him, or you know, end up having two father figures in her life. She was still raised by Will Hayward, it doesn't change that.

I actually feel somewhat strongly about this as someone who never particularly shared a connection with his biological father, lol. But it was an awful plot thread outside of the glorious violence at the end.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if it's addressed in the Final Dossier book in some form. Season 3 ain't gonna do it.

To me it feels like they're sorta ignoring it, or otherwise I'd have expected something about Ben's injury at least to be in Secret History given that it did address several other things that happened immediately after the finale. Which... still doesn't actually make that much sense given the actual premise of the book, but still.

I really wonder what the Final Dossier will even be. I just sent something in to Twin Peaks Rewatch along these lines, but- the show hasn't really done anything with the explicit backstory changes in Secret History; even Annie apparently no longer being Norma's sister isn't addressed at all, nor has the change in Nadine and Ed's relationship timeline likely removing the amnesia situation been given as the reason that he and Norma still weren't together till now. There are things the show implicitly backs up (Becky seemingly works/worked at the bakery tied to the Double R?), and it's referenced some of the wider town backstory with Wally Brando and Hawk, but I don't get the point of it otherwise.

Similarly, wih Secret History intentionally introducing Tammy as a character... the show really hasn't ever shown her reacting to anything specifically as someone who'd read about it before but was skeptic of it (beyond the tulpa Diane, I guess, but even that was all in-show)? And they never mention the dossier at all in connection to Briggs. I feel like this just shows that we haven't really learned much about Tammy in the show, which makes me think we'll probably just her take on things in the Final Dossier as notes again.

I guess the point here is that Secret History maybe wasn't even intended to directly connect to season 3, but... by itself it just mostly contains boring UFO stuff and then those retcons/explanations (...some of which have inconsistent dates, even internally), so that makes it less satisfying in retrospect.

Dusk Golem

I haven't given it much thought since the season started, but it's really puzzling why Ontkean decided not to reprise his role after initially being so excited. I know Forster has been a great stand in as his brother, but after just finishing the original series again I need to see the bromance reunited. One of my favorite bits from the finale is Harry waiting outside of Glastonbury Cove.

The only people who'll know are Lynch, Frost, and Ontkean himself, but yeah it's a sham we won't see then reunited proper.

I do look forward to Coop interacting with the sheriff's department gain, though.

BTA

It's not that surprising knowing the backstory; the other actors hated working with LFB (well, except Kyle, heh), and she has altered her appearance to the point of being unrecognizable. I guess they could've used the recast Donna from FWWM though...

Looking into it now- huh, I'd just read the thing about her being the reason Audrey didn't date Coop earlier today, but I guess her name in that didn't click (it wasn't mentioned that she was Donna's actress) even after I looked up if either actress was still acting a few hours later.

Joqu

To me it feels like they're sorta ignoring it, or otherwise I'd have expected something about Ben's injury at least to be in Secret History given that it did address several other things that happened immediately after the finale. Which... still doesn't actually make that much sense given the actual premise of the book, but still.

I really wonder what the Final Dossier will even be. I just sent something in to Twin Peaks Rewatch along these lines, but- the show hasn't really done anything with the explicit backstory changes in Secret History; even Annie apparently no longer being Norma's sister isn't addressed at all, nor has the change in Nadine and Ed's relationship timeline likely removing the amnesia situation been given as the reason that he and Norma still weren't together till now. There are things the show implicitly backs up (Becky seemingly works/worked at the bakery tied to the Double R?), and it's referenced some of the wider town backstory with Wally Brando and Hawk, but I don't get the point of it otherwise.

Similarly, wih Secret History intentionally introducing Tammy as a character... the show really hasn't ever shown her reacting to anything specifically as someone who'd read about it before but was skeptic of it (beyond the tulpa Diane, I guess, but even that was all in-show)? And they never mention the dossier at all in connection to Briggs. I feel like this just shows that we haven't really learned much about Tammy in the show, which makes me think we'll probably just her take on things in the Final Dossier as notes again.

I guess the point here is that Secret History maybe wasn't even intended to directly connect to season 3, but... by itself it just mostly contains boring UFO stuff and then those retcons/explanations (...some of which have inconsistent dates, even internally), so that makes it less satisfying in retrospect.

They're ignoring it, but they're also ignoring Donna in general. So yeah. It's weird.

Secret History was originally announced as something that would bridge the 25 year gap way more than it ended up doing, being more about... the history, so I think the assumption has been that the Final Dossier will end up covering more of that sort of stuff. I don't know what has been announced about it though, maybe that's confirmed already. Maybe it's supposed to be something else entirely.

Regarding the inconsistencies, I'm sure some of the minor ones are genuine mistakes, but I've been under the impression that the big stuff like Annie is more of an unreliable narrator sort of deal? That's also the impression I get from whenever Mark Frost has been asked about that stuff. I don't find that aspect of it particularly enjoyable though, whatever it's supposed to mean. But personally I don't think the contradictions are retcons, season 3 certainly hasn't done anything to support that view to me.

I still ended up liking that book a whole lot more than I thought I would though, to the point that I'm rather looking forward to the second one. At the very least the way it's put together is pretty lovely.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
New OT & finale hype. Sunday is going to be bittersweet. Here's hoping it goes out with a bang, not a whimper.

Joqu

let's face it, season 3 is a disappointment if Dr Amp doesn't whack someone, preferably a woodsman, over the head with one of his golden shovels. I'll begrudgingly accept Nadine as a substitute.

just two more episodes to redeem yourself, david lynch

let's face it, season 3 is a disappointment if Dr Amp doesn't whack someone, preferably a woodsman, over the head with one of his golden shovels. I'll begrudgingly accept Nadine as a substitute.

I can't wait for One Punch Man to punch someone's face off while protecting Naido. Mr. C's?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I had chills all throughout Audrey's dance and the credits. David Lynch is just amazing. I don't think I've ever felt so unnerved after watching a television show.

SilentRob

Finally watched Episode 16 and jesus fucking christ, that might be one of my favorite episodes of TV ever. Holy shit. Everything was so worth it for "I'm the FBI".

Hey guys, I watched 5 minutes of the first episode and tuned in for the the finale. WHAT THE FUCK Dr. Jacoby hit some blackface guy with a shovel?!?!?!

0/10. Worst show ever.

Joqu

I can't wait for One Punch Man to punch someone's face off while protecting Naido. Mr. C's?

He'll punch off Mr. C's face only to reveal Dick Tremayne's underneath. Believe.

Hey guys, I watched 5 minutes of the first episode and tuned in for the the finale. WHAT THE FUCK Dr. Jacoby hit some blackface guy with a shovel?!?!?!

0/10. Worst show ever.

dale-cooper-sonny-jim-tear.gif

i refuse to believe a show can be anything but a 100/10 when that scene happens. it's simple math

Can I just say I love the fact Coop took the time to shake Bushnell's hand before he rushed off? Cooper's respect and appreciation of human decency is the best thing about that character.

Can I just say I love the fact Coop took the time to shake Bushnell's hand before he rushed off? Cooper's respect and appreciation of human decency is the best thing about that character.

"You're a fine man, Bushnell Mullins. I will not soon forget your kindness and decency."

This is why Kyle Maclachlan deserves all the awards. He plays every character so distinctly just from the way he moves, his mannerisms and using only his eyes.

e: Rewatched that part again for the 10th time and man, it's perfection. Just the Mitchum Brothers excitement about what Dougie is up to next as the theme plays at the exact right moment. Ugh, absolutely floored everytime.
was totally expecting a thumbs up there.

Well, it does mirror an old scene.

thumbs-up-header.jpg

Top Bottom