• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

Which are the top marvel series for y'all of the past 2 years?

I'm sure some of these are obvious, but I'll make a best a list as I can.

Old Man Logan (Lemire)
Moon Knight (Lemire)
All-New Guardians of the Galaxy
Ms. Marvel
The Mighty Thor
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
Vision
Doctor Strange
Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows
Ultimates
Unstoppable Wasp
Hawkeye (Thompson)
Spider-Man (Bendis)

What a god awful month December is going to be for Image. Only 11 for sure purchases with Rumble getting dropped.

BIRTHRIGHT #29
BLACK SCIENCE #34
COPPERHEAD #17
CURSE WORDS HOLIDAY SPECIAL #1
EXTREMITY #9
THE FIX #12
LAZARUS: X+66 #6
PAPER GIRLS #18
SPREAD #24
THE WALKING DEAD #174
YOUNGBLOOD #7

Huh. Given your stern stance on tie-ins/spinoffs and creative team changes, how are you ok with Curse Words, Lazarus X+66, and Youngblood?

Probably go:

Vision
Black Panther - Season 1 (Season 2 has been up and down)
Ultimates
Squirrel Girl
Thor

EDIT - Technically Secret Wars as well, seen as due to delays it was in the last two years :)

Vision is definitely #1 in my book.

Heard a lot of good things about Thor too.

Vision's definitely the one I would stand up and shout about, Thor's just a really good time. The artwork is to die for.

Probably the book I'm seeing other folks mention I most would want to read to judge is Moon Knight. Everything about that sounded great as it was coming out.

Marvel trying to get a bit money before they shut down the bussiness.

image.php

Aizo

Banned
Speaking about manga, I'm about halfway through this. Though it veers into a PR spin/propaganda at times, it is still a very interesting read.
Like... Abe/Liberal Democratic Party PR?
I don't think I could read something like that. Not sure how I feel about any information coming out of Japan trying to elucidate others on contemporary problems, considering the state secrets law.

Like... Abe/Liberal Democratic Party PR?
I don't think I could read something like that. Not sure how I feel about any information coming out of Japan trying to elucidate others on contemporary problems, considering the state secrets law.

Hmm, not really. More for Tepco than the government and how "the newspapers are exaggerating and they don't know the ground situation". Or how "yes it is dangerous but we are all working together and the middle school children are wishing us".

The details about the impact, the cleanup and the slow return to normalcy are fascinating to read but there is this constant doubt on the reliability of the narrator and if we are getting the true picture. That is not something I got while reading Showa: A History of Japan.

Aizo

Banned
Some of these indie comics are quite amusing. I read this one about monster fencing. Short and sweet.
An Affair of Slaughter
Code:
[IMG]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/S/cmx-images-prod/Item/551043/2875551dbcc40aa7b47ece4c26d6ee42._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg[/IMG]

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Do the "complete close saga epic" and "complete Ben Reilly epic" overlap or are they actually different?
DIfferent. Complete Ben Reilly collects the stuff when Peter was the clone.

If you want to own the whole Clone Saga, you need both.
Yeah I bet that movie money and tv/netflix money is really drying up for them right now ;)
Marvel Studios and Marvel Companies are not even the same company.

Could someone do me a favor? You can gift digital purchases on Amazon, right? Could someone buy me Infinity as an early birthday prsent? Don't wanna miss it on this sale since my physical ex got waterdamaged but I can't afford it after buying so many books(I completely forgot it until I recommended it in the sale thread)...

kmfdmpig

Could someone do me a favor? You can gift digital purchases on Amazon, right? Could someone buy me Infinity as an early birthday prsent? Don't wanna miss it on this sale since my physical ex got waterdamaged but I can't afford it after buying so many books(I completely forgot it until I recommended it in the sale thread)...

Borrow a page from Peter David - buy the book and just skip out on your tax bill for years. Then get others to pay the tax bill. It's a win-win.

Borrow a page from Peter David - buy the book and just skip out on your tax bill for years. Then get others to pay the tax bill. It's a win-win.

Amazing lol also don't forget to cuss out potential Romani backers while you're at it
Damn XD
How come DC's Youtube channel posts loads of cool comic videos, but Marvel does not :/
DC All Access is great. Marvel could really learn to expand their digital output.

Kilvin

Did anyone pick up Batman The Red Death?

I've been reading Metal and wasn't planning to get any of the offshoots, but this one appeals to me....I'm worried it's going to be shit though...

Impressions would be appreciated

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I'm sure some of these are obvious, but I'll make a best a list as I can.

Old Man Logan (Lemire)
Moon Knight (Lemire)
All-New Guardians of the Galaxy
Ms. Marvel
The Mighty Thor
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
Vision
Doctor Strange
Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows
Ultimates
Unstoppable Wasp
Hawkeye (Thompson)
Spider-Man (Bendis)

Huh. Given your stern stance on tie-ins/spinoffs and creative team changes, how are you ok with Curse Words, Lazarus X+66, and Youngblood?

I've bitched and bitched about the Lazarus mini. It's been good but I still don't like the fact that it exists.

I'm also not super fond of one-shots but Curse words hasn't burned me on one yet. I debated for a few minutes over whether to include it or not. If you'll notice I didn't include the WicDiv one-shot becuase their last two one-shots both sucked.

Youngblood is a new series with a new creative team and a new story 25 years after the original. Rumble has the same writer and it is picking up right where it left off in the story after an extended hiatus.They are reseting the issue count strictly to boost sales. And that is their right. I just don't want anything to do with it.

Same reason DC has better logos, design, and a more cohesive line of comics: Budget.

Ike Perlmutter is a noted fussbudget.

Just last week I was at a design conference where Emily Oberman spoke. She and her team at Pentagram designed the new DC logo and helped laid out some guidelines for logos used on books. Really fascinating to hear her thought process.

In designing the DC logo, they incorporated a piece from every previous DC logo into the new one. She also did the logos for Ready Player One and Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them.

Funny enough, she talked about being a much bigger Marvel fan. It doesn't seem like Marvel is interested in fronting the cash you need to bring aboard an agency like Pentagram.

I've bitched and bitched about the Lazarus mini. It's been good but I still don't like the fact that it exists.

Why would you buy it if you didn't like that it exists?

Lazarus + 66 has been awesome. I actually think I'd rather have this peek at the smaller characters and take a break from the focus on the war.

Top Bottom