• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2012

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm refusing all of the updates at this point, because I'm hoping unpatched games / programs lead to some sort of Homebrew enabling method.

Yea Nintendo Zone trick is nice. I had a feeling someone would find a way to be able to use it at home but I didn't think it would be that easy.

NeoRausch

Huh? Also half of the NES games updated in the europe shop. Was hoping for the official update. But no dice, still the same menu logo.

zigg

Are you guys sure they're actually updating? It might be some eShop bug that claims an update is available when there really isn't.

I suppose it's not possible to checksum the software on the SD card or anything like that.

sakipon

Are you guys sure they're actually updating? It might be some eShop bug that claims an update is available when there really isn't.

I suppose it's not possible to checksum the software on the SD card or anything like that.

Interesting thought. Would be they in a hurry to fix such bug? Even without visible changes the updates kind of make Nintendo look like they're working all the time to fix rare problems or tiny details.

NeoRausch

And why the hell does updateable stuff not show up in the update section of the e-shop?

update section -> new update - > update all -> yeah please!

do it like that nintendo!

Roto13

So when those demos go up on Nintendo Zone, will we be able to download them with this trickery?
So, does anyone know what any of the updates do to any of the games besides the Sakura Samurai fix?

These have been coming for ages for basically everything in the eShop minus DSiWare games and they don't seem to do anything noticeable.

beje

Banned
So when those demos go up on Nintendo Zone, will we be able to download them with this trickery?

These have been coming for ages for basically everything in the eShop minus DSiWare games and they don't seem to do anything noticeable.

They're most likely either anti-piracy or minor fixes of any kind. Then again, I don't see the reason why they're not pushed automatically or featured in the correct section of the eShop. And it's not like they're randomly appearing because the console thinks they're not updated because the first time it started happening, it was the same games for everyone.

tsab

I think the available updates section on eshop will be used for updating the retail games/cartridges and maybe DLC for your games. Which kinda sucks because I already have to go through 5 pages in my download history to updates my downloaded games...

Yeah, that's what I thought Spotpass would do originally.
You should've known better.

9HzhR.jpg

Tyeforce

We don't have an OT for Sakura Samurai yet, right? Then I'll ask this here. How do you upgrade your Special Attack in the game? You can do that, right?

They can certainly push downloads.
I think the problem is that they don't want to send important downloads and fixes for fear of breaking the system if you suddenly take it out of range.

I meant for the 3DS, I thought it was basically a handheld version of WC24 but better.

wii connect 24 was such a wasted opportunity. They obviously got it to work where the games do download packets of data large enough for Nintendo to send you new items, but a combination of limited onboard storage and friendlists likely killed support of it in a more meaningful way by other games.

I'm still dreaming of the idea of an asynchronous Animal Crossing where your friends can visit your town while you are offline. I guess we can exchange houses now, but visiting will still be a pain if both people need to be online.

I think the problem is that they don't want to send important downloads and fixes for fear of breaking the system if you suddenly take it out of range.

I'm puzzled by this. Is spotpass really pushing downloads or just notifications of things? The Iwata Asks Swap Note had the des specifically mention one of the benefits of Spotpass is they can push the messages directly to the 3DS, yet, we have to sit through checking mail/downloading mail cycle when we get the blue dot notification. Maybe it's just poor streamlining by the devs, but I always felt like im downloading the messages right there and then.

Edit: Ok Nintendo Video/ MK7 does download the whole file as it only checks your SD card. Still not clear on SwapNote

wii connect 24 was such a wasted opportunity. They obviously got it to work where the games do download packets of data large enough for Nintendo to send you new items, but a combination of limited onboard storage and friendlists likely killed support of it in a more meaningful way by other games.

I'm still dreaming of the idea of an asynchronous Animal Crossing where your friends can visit your town while you are offline. I guess we can exchange houses now, but visiting will still be a pain if both people need to be online.

I'm puzzled by this. Is spotpass really pushing downloads or just notifications of things? The Iwata Asks Swap Note had the des specifically mention one of the benefits of Spotpass is they can push the messages directly to the 3DS, yet, we have to sit through checking mail/downloading mail cycle when we get the blue dot notification. Maybe it's just poor streamlining by the devs, but I always felt like im downloading the messages right there and then.

Edit: Ok Nintendo Video/ MK7 does download the whole file as it only checks your SD card. Still not clear on SwapNote

In respect of Swap Note I have got the blue notification light, turned off my wi-fi and still been able to access the new notes so my impression is that it downloads them to your SD card and then tells you that they are there by giving you the blue light [unless you have turned it off].

Swap Note really should download and load the messages while the system is on stand by.
No idea why it doesn't. It's not a system limitation.

We don't have an OT for Sakura Samurai yet, right? Then I'll ask this here. How do you upgrade your Special Attack in the game? You can do that, right?
Play the minigames in the towns for prizes. After enough stamps you win new special attack gems. I'm on level 4 currently.

Tyeforce

Play the minigames in the towns for prizes. After enough stamps you win new special attack gems. I'm on level 4 currently.
Okay, I kinda thought so, it's the only thing I haven't really done. Now here's another question... When I go to start the mini games, do I press A or X? Pressing A asks me how much Gold I'm willing to pay, and pressing X just tells me I can win a certain amount of Gold. I haven't actually played a mini game yet because I'm not sure which option I should do. And if I do press A and bet Gold, how much should I pay? What's the benefit of paying more?

OMG Aero

I don't think this is problem since they already use Spotpass to push system updates and they are pretty much the most important download for the system.

Okay, I kinda thought so, it's the only thing I haven't really done. Now here's another question... When I go to start the mini games, do I press A or X? Pressing A asks me how much Gold I'm willing to pay, and pressing X just tells me I can win a certain amount of Gold. I haven't actually played a mini game yet because I'm not sure which option I should do. And if I do press A and bet Gold, how much should I pay? What's the benefit of paying more?

Are you playing the American or PAL version? I'm not sure because in my game it's playing for gold or prizes as the option? When I play for prizes I pay 5G though.

Tyeforce

Are you playing the American or PAL version? I'm not sure because in my game it's playing for gold or prizes as the option? When I play for prizes I pay 5G though.
Oh, wait, you're right, pressing A (which prompts me to pay a certain amount of Gold) is playing for Gold, and pressing X is playing for prizes. I only ever talked to one guy, and the prize for that mini game was 5 Gold. So I'm guessing the prize isn't always Gold then? And that's what I should do to get the Special Attack upgrades, right? I'm playing the US version, by the way.

Oh, wait, you're right, pressing A (which prompts me to pay a certain amount of Gold) is playing for Gold, and pressing X is playing for prizes. I only ever talked to one guy, and the prize for that mini game was 5 Gold. So I'm guessing the prize isn't always Gold then? And that's what I should do to get the Special Attack upgrades, right? I'm playing the US version, by the way.
Playing for prizes will always give you stamps, after so many stamps you get various prizes (expendable items or special attack gems). It's never gold though, unless you play for gold.

Also, winning items will allow you to carry more than your max if you are already full. I have 7 whetstones currently for example.

Tyeforce

Playing for prizes will always give you stamps, after so many stamps you get various prizes (expendable items or special attack gems). It's never gold though, unless you play for gold.

Also, winning items will allow you to carry more than your max if you are already full. I have 7 whetstones currently for example.
Ooh, okay, I must have been reading it wrong then. I'm guessing it costs 5 Gold to play for a prize, not that the prize for playing is 5 Gold.

M3d10n

Swap Note really should download and load the messages while the system is on stand by.
No idea why it doesn't. It's not a system limitation.

It does download while in stand by, that's how SpotPass works. Just try it: when you see the blue dot, turn wifi off and load Swap Note. You'll still get your messages. When it says "downloading", it's actually loading/decompressing the messages, not actually downloading them. So it's even more egrerious that it takes so long to load them.

BTW, Swap Note also uploads the notes in background: you can create a new note and send it with wifi off. The message is sent whenever the 3DS has internet connection, even if Swap Note is not running. I believe the entire purpose behind Swap Note was to test this feature.

The problem with updating an app in background right now is that the app would either become unavailable during update or you'd need double the free blocks to store the updated version because right now SpotPass works automatically (it doesn't support prompting the user before downloading content).

I guess Nintendo is preparing a different process for updating apps which will be rolled alongside the DLC support.

GeekyDad

Finally got around to playing some of the Fire Emblem game that came with the Ambassador games. Really pretty, prettier than the DS game, from what I can remember. The overworld looks almost like it was drawn with crayon. And of course, it's very classy like all FE games. Solid dialogue, and it's nice to control a female protagonist for a change. Sad we didn't get Advance Wars, but this will do nicely.

jgkspsx

The Crystal Method video is indeed very cool. Some of the best 3D on Nintendo Video yet, and it doesn't look terribly compressed like many videos so far have.

zigg

The Crystal Method video is indeed very cool. Some of the best 3D on Nintendo Video yet, and it doesn't look terribly compressed like many videos so far have.
I had hoped for a little more pop-out, but yeah.

I hope artwalknoon doesn't mind me posting this here, but he made it up in Art Academy and shared it over Swapnote (and I reshared it again with everyone else I know, heh.) A little bit of a tedious path to get it out there, granted, but still very cool.

rsAJY.jpg

Actually, I wonder if the original was larger now. I seem to recall my AA images (which were not nearly as cool) were 640×480.

Tyeforce

I had hoped for a little more pop-out, but yeah.

I hope artwalknoon doesn't mind me posting this here, but he made it up in Art Academy and shared it over Swapnote (and I reshared it again with everyone else I know, heh.) A little bit of a tedious path to get it out there, granted, but still very cool.

rsAJY.jpg

Actually, I wonder if the original was larger now. I seem to recall my AA images (which were not nearly as cool) were 640×480.
I saw this on Swapnote too, it's awesome! And yes, the original should have been larger. Swapnote scales down images when you share them.

Morts

If I could only choose one between Pushmo, Sakura Samurai, and Mutant Mudds, which would you guys recommend?

Top Bottom