• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite have a low budget?

MoxManiac

Either that or a really short dev time.
During cutscenes it seriously looks like some fan modded some characters into a last gen fighting game.

What do they want to make though?.

Seems they aren't into RPG either with Deep Down gone and no news of Dragons Dogma online (Or a sequel) comming to the west.
They aren't into Action games since the only thing we have seen of DMC this gen have been remasters
They don't want to make Megan Man style sidescrolles except for terrible mobile ports.

I guess horror games? But apparently RE7 failed to meet their expectations so maybe they don't want to make those either now.

Monster Hunter

MrCarter

giphy.gif

Like Ono can fix something

Why not? Even though I didn't like he game he brought about a resurgence of fighting games back in 2009 with his work on SFIV. Harada worked on T7 for years after the arcade release yet it still came out barebones. As for the tweet, I think he simply said that to shut up FChump's whining.

jett

D-Member
Probably. SFV only got made because Sony dropped some money bags at Capcom's offices. And after how badly they dropped the ball with that game and how utterly shit its post-launch sales have been, I can't see them wanting to spend all that much on Mahvel. To be honest it's surprising it even exists. Makes me wonder what kind of deal they have with Marvel, maybe they're also paying for some of the development.

Arc Systems Works is much more of a smaller company than Capcom yet their new Dragon Ball Z game looks much better than Marvel Vs Capcom and likely cheaper to produced.

Maybe you didn't realize this but Namco is footing the bill for that DBZ game. Their previous Dragon Ball and Naruto fighters are all pretty popular so I doubt they're skimping on this one.

Jawmuncher

I'll never understand how you can call MVC3 bad looking. That game holds up amazingly well considering it's age. Especially when compared to SF4.

qcf x2

I really wish they would just delay it by six months or something for polish. I've been trying to stay optimistic but the story demo sucked out a lot of excitement I had.

I remember when posters, myself included, were saying the same thing about SFV... just delay 6 mos, a year, whatever, release it when it's ready!

I'm leaning towards bad art direction and style, just like MVC3
MVC2 and SF4 are such good looking games, not sure what they were thinking

Opinions and all, but you picked the worst 2 looking games. MvC2 and particularly SF4 are hard to look at.

Not sure what you're trying to prove. That doesn't look good.

This game has always looked butt ugly in every tournament I've watched it being played.

I mean to each their own. It's an opinion on aesthetics. I guess we should all stop talking about whether art direction is good or bad like it's fact.

However, anyone claiming that MVC2 had good art direction, with a mugen-like mish mash of sprites (which is what I was responding to) can't be taken seriously.

Steaks

MvC3 has art direction that ages well, even if you think the game is on the uglier side of things, its cohesive and makes sense given the source material.

MvC:I has no such art direction. It's all over the place.

The art style is a little weird in some ways, especially in the faces. Which is odd, as the recent Street Fighter games, even SFIV, has better face models that MVCI. At least in my opinion they do.

Harmen

It looks fucking horrible and once again Capcom is going to screw over an ip that could be something special/successful when done with competency. Can't imagine the people behind Marvel's game initiative will be very happy with this, judging on that recent demo.

Gbraga

MvC3 has art direction that ages well, even if you think the game is on the uglier side of things, its cohesive and makes sense given the source material.

MvC:I has no such art direction. It's all over the place.

Chromatic Aberration is the art director of Marvel Infinite.

jett

D-Member
I mean to each their own. It's an opinion on aesthetics. I guess we should all stop talking about whether art direction is good or bad like it's fact.

However, anyone claiming that MVC2 had good art direction, with a mugen-like mish mash of sprites (which is what I was responding to) can't be taken seriously.

Fair enough.

I thought MvC2's 3D backgrounds were impressive during the Dreamcast days, but that's about it. The original MvC is probably the one that's if not the best looking, the most cohesive one.

Ferrio

Banned
Possibly. It could also just be rushed, or the developers are not skilled enough. Whichever the case, all 3 options are not a good look. I don't think there's any excuse for how the game looks right now, at least at that price and the aggressive DLC.

vg260

I don't know if I've ever heard someone describe SF4 as good looking.

If you look at some of the later characters on some of the better stages, the game can look nice. For example, Dudley vs. Makoto on the construction or safari stage. It just started off rough in terms of models. I like the stages better than SFV's default ones.

Platy

MvC3 is not good looking, but it is BEAUTIFULL compared to Infinite for at least TRYING to do some type of comic shading

I'm leaning towards bad art direction and style, just like MVC3
MVC2 and SF4 are such good looking games, not sure what they were thinking

You had me at MVC2 and then you lost me. I'm thinking like 80% budget and 20% bad art design. I didn't mind MVC3's look, but I've also made peace with the fact that Capcom won't be making something that looks as good as MVC2 did to me ever again.

lupinko

Plausibly, but I think there's also an extent to which Capcom's developers are just not very good.

They've been hiring thousands of new college graduates to make their games since they decided to stop using any outsourcing firms, so they're pretty new at this.

Capcom talked about how Street Fighter V actually had way more staff than any of their previous fighting games, and that was pretty threadbare.

Mind, it also takes a lot more work to make modern games, and I'm sure compared to other modern games it's lower budget, but I don't think it necessarily costs less than Marvel vs. Capcom 3. It could plausibly cost quite a bit more.

That may be true for the grunt work but the directors and designers are staff veterans.

For example Marvel Infinite's game designers have worked at Capcom since the 90s.

Since SF4, Capcom has taken more input from people who came from the FGC as well (Seth Killian, Woshige and Combofiend).

MvC is such a huge game among fighting game fans that I'm shocked it looks as bad as it is. Yet again Capcom has been on a "fuck my shit up fam" streak barring RE7 so I don't what's up with them.

I'd just like to note that, based on a Capcom rep as well as art leaks that came out right before E3, the demos (and possibly the trailer) use assets from a March build of the game.

Not that i think it'll look much better at all by launch, for the record, just saying.

Eidan

what the hell?
MVC3 is a beautiful looking game that animates fantastically. One of the few last-gen games that feels like it's barely aged.

MVC2 is the butt-fuckin-ugly game, especially when you remember how many of that games assets are reused from other Capcom fighters, complete with the contrasting art styles.

But I will say that MvC:I doesn't look too good.
Yeah. MvC2 is a classic, but the game was never a looker.

Papacheeks

Banned
Um... no? Like to the point I feel comfortable saying this is a just flat out untrue?

Entirely different mechanics, different physics, different buttons. Even most of the returning characters are more different than, say, Injustice 2's returning cast.

The weight of characters and physics are different, but buttons were similar with having a launch button medium kick, punch, and strong attack.

Chris Redfield even had the lay prone move close to the same. That's what I meant, I mean yea the feel less floaty but button/move wise they are very close.

7Th

They should bring back Tatsunoko vs Capcom; I want to see another Capcom fighting game with decent visuals and a good and interesting roster in my lifetime.

Balb

Everything Capcom has made in the last several years has felt low budget. It doesn't even feel like they can fund their own games anymore outside of Resident Evil and maybe Monster Hunter.

Toxi

Banned
MvC is such a huge game among fighting game fans that I'm shocked it looks as bad as it is. Yet again Capcom has been on a "fuck my shit up fam" streak barring RE7 so I don't what's up with them.
Monster Hunter World is looking good, so it's really just Capcom's fighting games.

dan2026

Is there a reason Capcom isn't really using the MT Framework engine anymore?

It seemed like such a well optimised piece of tech.

I see I'm getting a lot of flak for saying MVC3 doesn't look good, I dunno maybe its just a personal taste thing, but I've watched the game in motion just as much as anyone, and those screen shots you posted just look like a muddy, bland mess to me, but to each his own

Coda

Is there a reason Capcom isn't really using the MT Framework engine anymore?

It seemed like such a well optimised piece of tech.

Well they apparently had their new engine Panta Rhei which was supposed to be used on Deep Down and some unannounced titles but something makes me think they ditched it for UE4. Is MvCI built in UE4 or some proprietary engine?

SpotAnime

They should bring back Tatsunoko vs Capcom; I want to see another Capcom fighting game with decent visuals and a good and interesting roster in my lifetime.

Not by today's Capcom. I don't want them touching TvC with a ten foot pole.

Plausibly, but I think there's also an extent to which Capcom's developers are just not very good.

They've been hiring thousands of new college graduates to make their games since they decided to stop using any outsourcing firms, so they're pretty new at this.

Capcom talked about how Street Fighter V actually had way more staff than any of their previous fighting games, and that was pretty threadbare.

Mind, it also takes a lot more work to make modern games, and I'm sure compared to other modern games it's lower budget, but I don't think it necessarily costs less than Marvel vs. Capcom 3. It could plausibly cost quite a bit more.

This could be one of the reasons. Although, to be fair, doesn't it cost more for Capcom to outsource their games?

Lulubop

You had me at MVC2 and then you lost me. I'm thinking like 80% budget and 20% bad art design. I didn't mind MVC3's look, but I've also made peace with the fact that Capcom won't be making something that looks as good as MVC2 did to me ever again.

What am I reading?

They're using it for the new Monster Hunter. The real question is how much money they've blown on the failed Panty Raid engine

Well they apparently had their new engine Panta Rhei which was supposed to be used on Deep Down and some unannounced titles but something makes me think they ditched it for UE4. Is MvCI built in UE4 or some proprietary engine?

Yeah, PR engine is pretty much DoA (Dead on Arrival) if they didn't show anything pertaining to it (although I still hold out hope it will be shown at TGS this year). It's weird that Capcom has this engine(still in development), and yet made another engine exclusively for RE 7, which makes me think what was left for their other games. So maybe Capcom decided to go on the cheap and use UE.

Degen

I assumed it as soon as I saw the leak that "MvC4" was going back to 2v2 and that there were no X-Men characters

That was before we knew what it looked like, so it's not even debatable at this point

It's so lame that this is the new trend for fighting games that aren't from NRS (my least-favorite modern FG developer). I'd make a thread about it if I wasn't so lazy on the internet

meerak

I hope so.

Considering it will sell 1/10 what Injustice 2 sold we can only hope it has 1/10 the budget to match and Capcom isn't trying to sink themselves over some bull shit like pretty characters. ;)

More importantly OP... budget isn't the number 1 thing that dictates how good games look. Developers know how to balance their art style vs skills vs budget to make games look awesome at any level. There are too many examples to mention here.

It's not money (or the lack of) that has made Chun Li ugly.

My personal assumption is A) Capcom's visual style was dictated by Marvel, who thought this was a good idea and B) significant time crunch.

Raitaro

I fully get that it's tempting to point the finger at Capcom's incompetencies again but wouldn't Marvel be footing at least part of the bill in this case (as well as determining the launch window and as such, development time), seeing as the game serves to promote their characters?

Not sure how these kind of licensed games work but normally you'd think that a well off company like Marvel / Disney would have enough money to help make sure that one of the key releases on consoles that features their characters would look at least as attractive as the console competition (i.e. DC's Injustice 2).

As a sidenote, I continue to not have nearly the same problems with MVC:I's overall look as people here generally seem to have. Apart from a few faces looking off, admittedly, I actually like how the game and most of the character models look. MVC3's character models actually always looked a bit too dark / "shadowy" to me so I like how clear, well lit, shiny and colorful the cast looks in Infinite.

sephi22

I can't tell whos trolling anymore. There are people who think mvc2 looks good, and there are people who think mvc3 looks bad.

Run PC umvc3 on a high resolution on PC and it's aged extremely well. it's art design is:
G O A T
O
A
T

MvC1 looks like a nice cohesive 90s comic book, while MvC3 looks like a high res modern graphic novel. Which one looks nicer depends on whether you like sprites (MvC1) or 3d models with a dash of ink (umvc3)

As for mvci the less said the better

Top Bottom