• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michel Ancel and Rayman dev team show up at fan(?) protest RE: Rayman Legends delay

While this isn't a serious insurrection or anything, I know a lot of people think this is all a ploy for publicity or to get on Nintendo fans' good side. Truth is that all this PR and hooplah about the delay will be completely forgotten by September though.

September is a long ways off. At worst, on Wii U, you're looking at some sort of first-party title in the August/September timeframe. If not a huge hitter like Mario Kart, you may end up with a 2D platformer like Yarn Yoshi. And a Nintendo-branded platformer could be just as bad for Rayman. And on PS3/360? All attention is going to be GTA 24/7. Not to mention the upcoming Durango/Orbis focus.

Rayman might've bombed if released now on Wii U. Regardless, none of this will be remembered in September, and I can't see the game's prospects being very good that month.

I don't think so. A lot of people felt and are feeling insulted to be treated like 2nd-zone gamers. You can count on them to remind the story to those who might have forgotten.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I haven't followed the thread since yesterday so don't know if it was already posted, but consider this official, it isn't a protest from Ancel at all, it's just a fan who came with a cardboard and managed to have some of the studio members taking the pose with him. Their team is annoyed by this delay, but not to the point of taking the initiative of doing this. No real internal war at Ubi.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I haven't followed the thread since yesterday so don't know if it was already posted, but consider this official, it isn't a protest from Ancel at all, it's just a fan who came with a cardbox and managed to have some of the studio members taking the pose with him. Their team is annoyed by this delay, but not to the point of taking the initiative of doing this. No real internal war at Ubi.
It never looked like a war, they were smiling on the pictures.
Devs are annoyed as you say, and the way they support fans in this story was enough to reinvigorate protests and get tons of media coverage.

Devs did more than their job to help us.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'm reasonably happy to accept that the sign may well have been created by a bunch of fans who turned up rather than the devs; it's plausible, it fits.

Do I take it from your comments that you do not believe that Ancel agrees with the premise of the sign?

If that's the case... why be willing to *appear* with it so readily? If the sign is toxic, as some here are suggesting, so toxic that the devs wouldn't support the premise of the sign, then surely it's be a really really bad idea to happily pose for photos with it?

Ancel is a smart man. When deciding to pose with a fan and this banner, he knew the exact expression he needed to be pulling on his face for when it hit the public view. Contemplative, not smiling, not thumbs up, not thumbs down.

that would be funny if they released it due to the criticism and it doesnt sell more than 100k lol

I don't know if it well be able to sell that much, they have burned some serious bridges for a game that is pretty niche

I lost all my hype for this game, I don't think the quality of this game has changed but by the time it comes I'll have enough other games to play

mclem

At this point I've begrudgingly accept the delay, but I'm fascinated to see if/how Nintendo and Ubisoft respond to this continued uprising. I'm guessing that if Ubisoft was going to comment on the Ancel photo they would have already, but I'd love to see the games media get a comment from Nintendo on how the feel about their users using their Miiverse platform to badmouth an important third-party partner. I'm pretty impressed with how loosely moderated it's been so far.

The fascinating thing for me about the Miiverse side of things is due to how the main menu works, the complaints are broadcast front-and-centre to any Wii U user who has online configured. Of course, the intent for that was completely opposite - meaning to broadcast positive information about games to users who may not have purchased it - but it's an entirely valid end result.

mclem

Ancel is a smart man. When deciding to pose with a fan and this banner, he knew the exact expression he needed to be pulling on his face for when it hit the public view. Contemplative, not smiling, not thumbs up, not thumbs down.

Or, you know, he could - quite reasonably - ask to not be photographed with the banner at all. A fan would still have got a picture with his idol and been perfectly satisfied, and no shitstorm would have brewed.

He chose not to do that.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
that would be funny if they released it due to the criticism and it doesnt sell more than 100k lol

Funny as in "most likely fantastic game by a super talented team flops, thus harming the developer, the franchise and the (weakly represented) genre"? I would not find this to be funny. Also, I believe if Ubisoft were to listen to their costumers, the people protesting would definitely bite - and the ones who don't know about all this, will not behave differently compared to if all this didn't happen. Of course some sales for Wii U's version will be lost because of the announced ports and people who were to buy a Wii U for it waiting, but other than that... I really believe it would be the best for the game and Ubisoft to release the Wii U game now and the ports when they are done. I don't believe either MS or Sony would block a release by Ubisoft, even if the late ports happen to have no additional content.

ahm998

Maybe this is new generation of advertising .

Making your fans sad then make surprised for them .

tumblr_m1kzaqxJbp1qa6lp8.gif

Pociask

I haven't followed the thread since yesterday so don't know if it was already posted, but consider this official, it isn't a protest from Ancel at all, it's just a fan who came with a cardbox and managed to have some of the studio members taking the pose with him. Their team is annoyed by this delay, but not to the point of taking the initiative of doing this. No real internal war at Ubi.

On the one hand, that sounds believable, but on the other - really, a fan just wandered up to a software developer company, walked up to the receptionist, and was like, "Excuse me, could you get everyone to stop their work day? I'd really like to take a photograph of the employees here, me, and this protest sign I made up for the occasion. I'll just be outside in the parking lot!" And then Ancel's staff nonchalantly agreed?

Checked, looks like Nintendo Land and NSMBU take up 37% of all Wii U games sold (11.69 million). 3 million Wii U consoles sold.

Doesn't sound like much of a market for a Wii U exclusive 2D 3rd party platformer...

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
On the one hand, that sounds believable, but on the other - really, a fan just wandered up to a software developer company, walked up to the receptionist, and was like, "Excuse me, could you get everyone to stop their work day? I'd really like to take a photograph of the employees here, me, and this protest sign I made up for the occasion. I'll just be outside in the parking lot!" And then Ancel's staff nonchalantly agreed?

Maybe they are acquaintances from Montpellier. It's a moderately-sized town, and their studio isn't a 15 levels headquarters + they are rather accessible.

Yoshi

Checked, looks like Nintendo Land and NSMBU take up 37% of all Wii U games sold (11.69 million). 3 million Wii U consoles sold.

Doesn't sound like much of a market for a Wii U exclusive 2D 3rd party platformer...

NSMBU has 2 million buyers, so 2D platformers obviously have a great audience here. I don't think any other platform out of the three receiving Rayman has sold more of any real 2D platformer.

farnham

Banned

On the other hand a rayman spinoff sold very well at wii launch and in general platformers enjoy horrible sales on any platform other than the nintendo platforms

bon

Wii U owners are finished with NSMBU by now and they are hungry for a new game.

EMT0

Banned
NSMBU has 2 million buyers, so 2D platformers obviously have a great audience here. I don't think any other platform out of the three receiving Rayman has sold more of any real 2D platformer.

I'm of the belief that the game should be released this month, but come on, it'sMario. That's an unfair assumption, and you know it.

Yoshi

I'm of the belief that the game should be released this month, but come on, it'sMario. That's an unfair assumption, and you know it.
I don't want to say that everyone who buys NSMBU will also buy Rayman Legends, but the crossover between Mario and Rayman should be immense (In fact I would say that Rayman-buyers are almost a subset of Mario buyers), definitely a lot bigger than, say, between CoD and Rayman.

Shiggy

What!? Ancel quits? Am I reading this right?

Sources from Ubisoft Montpellier, which Gamekult talked to, say that he could leave with a few others from the Rayman team. This does not sound too far-fetched as similar rumours appeared when BGE2 was cancelled - back then he got his own team for Rayman Origins though.

TechJunk

Loose Translation:

"Two delays and the loss of temporary exclusivity for Rayman Legends on Wii U might have pissed off players, but it's also causing quite a stir at Ubisoft Montpellier.

Based on several sources, Michel Ancel might be thinking of leaving Ubisoft with his own team once Legends is finished, and start a new project with other people (different company?). He talks about wanting more liberty in creating and organizing his project. This is not the first time Ancel has spoken of leaving, but so far he's always stayed with Ubi.

Development of Rayman Legends is pretty much over, even though there is some work left to do on the PS3 and X360 versions. Ancel would like to calmly leave Ubisoft, taking some people with him. If it should happen, it wouldn't be a crying affair. Ubi is aware, and they might choose to be involved in Ancel's next project either way, even if he chooses to leave, as per an anonymous developer. Another source says Ancel has already given notice he is leaving, as he has other contacts and projects he'd like to work on. Five or six Montpellier personnel would be ready to leave with him. The idea is that Ancel would remain "tied to Rayman", whatever happens.

This might explain in part the further delay and the premature announcement of the Rayman Legends port to other platform. With Ancel possibly on his way out, he would have less motivation to contest the decision to port, as he is already looking to greener pastures. Several sources state Ubi and Nintendo were unable to come to an agreement on distribution and marketing of Legends, which was a reason for the port to PS3 / X360.

Ubisoft and Ancel categorically deny these rumours. We probably won't know much more until a couple more months, unless more sources start spilling the beans."

Like I said guys, just a quick translation.

Fisico

- Ancel could quit Ubisoft with some of the guys of Ubi Montpellier (five-six), apparently he had already talk to Ubisoft about this
- He has some opportunites at Paris
- Ubisoft would still be tied with him (as a published I guess)
- Rayman would still be tied to him too

- If he quits both Ubisoft and him would settle this matter calmly

Source is one of the dev of Ubi Montpellier who remains anonymous, obviously Ubisoft has denied everything

La situation actuelle du jeu ne serait ainsi pas la cause du futur départ d'Ancel mais plutôt une conséquence ; des différends entre Nintendo et Ubisoft sur la distribution et la promotion du titre étant la raison principale de la fin de l'exclusivité Wii U, selon plusieurs informateurs.

The delay of Legends is not the cause of an hypothetical departure of Ancel, but rather the outcome.
It says there were some problems between Ubisoft and Nintendo regarding the distribution and promotion of the game, and it was the main reason of the port of the game to others plate-forms.

I'm sure i'm not very clear, but it's still better for you than a wall of french text :p

EDIT : beaten

Top Bottom