• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football’s decline has some high schools disbanding teams

With all of the costs associated to kids baseball, AAU basketball taking over, travel, equipment, etc, I think we'll be encouraging our kid to join marching band and work his way up to drum major.

We will get there with soccer, it will just take time and some major shifts in how we develop players. Also, we value physical attributes and athleticism in our sports/athletes above all else.

I played and follow soccer pretty closely. Youth soccer has been popular for over a decade now. Still the best training and kids are playing for pay-to-play teams. The rest of the world treats playing soccer as a job, not as a hobby and a way to get a college scholarship. Anyhow, I hope someday we can have a world class player (maybe that player is Pulisic).

The college scholarship system just doesn't work all that well in countries where education is free.

N7.Angel

lol Nothing, at least in my part of the country. Soccer is what kids play when they are very young before they join real sports like football, basketball and maybe baseball.

Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

Laekon

Good.

Worth noting that NICA an interscholastic high school level mountain biking program continues to grow as more and more schools form teams.

I believe that the school from NJ mentioned in this piece will be joining NICA in 2018.

Mountain biking is a horrible high school sport as it is so equipment and land focused. Currently work at a shop that sponsors a top high school team in So Cal and see parents buying 14 yr old kids $3K-7K bikes they know will be out grown in 2 years. Never mind access to trails and transportation of kids and bikes make it even more focused on well off suburban kids. Sports like track, basketball, soccer, and swimming (in areas with the weather for it) are better for everyone.

Wish they could do something to reduce the head injury issue as a big thing with football is how many kids can be on a team.

Meanwhile in the South, I can barely drive near my apartment on Friday evenings because I live somewhat close to a major high school.

I don't think this is true. Youth soccer is exploding in popularity. It is THE sport for kids and an increasing amount of schools. It's going to take a bit for the effects to be noticeable, but soccer has a bright future in the US. The days of us being awful and failing to qualify for the World Cup won't be around much longer.

I can foresee a US Ronaldo (likely a 2nd or 3rd generation immigrant) emerging sometime in the next 20 years, at that point it will be game over - soccer mania will have finally reached the US.

Pullistic could be that first international US Soccer star but y'all had to fuck it up by failing to score a tie vs Trinidad and friggin' Tobago and this not qualifying to the WC. That 19 year old's chances for world attention got squandered by the worst US team I've seen since 1998 (fun fact, that team did qualify tot he WC but finished in 32 out of 32 teams of that tournament).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Meanwhile in the South, I can barely drive near my apartment on Friday evenings because I live somewhat close to a major high school.
Even in the south I hear from just about all newer parents that they would never let their kids play football. It will take longer here, but I do think the popularity of football will decline.

CTE is more a risk factor due to subconcussive hits, which are way more numerous in contact sports.

This. I recently had to take concussion training and it's not so much helmet to helmet or even landing on your head that is bad... I mean they're bad but, it's in fact the physical blows to the body that rocks the brain stem. Football is pretty bad. Doing headers in soccer can also lead to concussions if the blows are sustained on a regular basis.

Zoe

With all of the costs associated to kids baseball, AAU basketball taking over, travel, equipment, etc, I think we'll be encouraging our kid to join marching band and work his way up to drum major.
But who will he be marching for if there's no football team?

Pullistic could be that first international US Soccer star but y'all had to fuck it up by failing to score a tie vs Trinidad and friggin' Tobago and this not qualifying to the WC. That 19 year old's chances for world attention got squandered by the worst US team I've seen since 1998 (fun fact, that team did qualify tot he WC but finished in 32 out of 32 teams of that tournament).

I don't think we'll miss the WC two times in a row, Pullistic will get another shot. And another thing to consider is the fact that population growth in the US is almost entirely driven by Latinos. They brought their love of soccer with them and passed it on to their children. A ton of them are coaching their kids in recreational leagues, and passing their knowledge on to other kids as well (my son included). They're changing the culture surrounding the game in a good way, that more than anything is why I strongly believe that soccer has the brightest future of any sport by far in the US.

My brother is a MLS referee and he is even more bullish on the future of US soccer than I am, despite the US men failing to qualify for the WC.

Mountain biking is a horrible high school sport as it is so equipment and land focused. Currently work at a shop that sponsors a top high school team in So Cal and see parents buying 14 yr old kids $3K-7K bikes they know will be out grown in 2 years. Never mind access to trails and transportation of kids and bikes make it even more focused on well off suburban kids. Sports like track, basketball, soccer, and swimming (in areas with the weather for it) are better for everyone.

Wish they could do something to reduce the head injury issue as a big thing with football is how many kids can be on a team.

Here in NJ the teams own the bikes and everyone races with comparable modestly spec'd bikes. That helps to keep the costs down and make it more approachable for people of various economic means.

Mathieran

Banned
No kids (yet), but my wife and I talk about this a decent amount. We haven't really investigated deeply, but my initials thoughts are that baseball, basketball, tennis, and golf are pretty thoroughly in the "Worth the risk" category of sports, basketball, hockey, and soccer are in the "Might be worth the risk" category, and football and wrestling are in the "Probably not worth the risk" category, in regards to youth sports anyway.

I'm least confident in my assessment of wrestling and basketball. Either way, my wife and I want to really look into the research more before we'd stop our kid from playing any of the sports, although football seems like a no-brainer for avoiding.

Don't forget track or cross country (5k races) as an option. I ran XC in high school and it was really great for me. No injuries and taught me good discipline.

Edit: Swimming too

Ralemont

not me
No kids (yet), but my wife and I talk about this a decent amount. We haven't really investigated deeply, but my initials thoughts are that baseball, basketball, tennis, and golf are pretty thoroughly in the "Worth the risk" category of sports, basketball, hockey, and soccer are in the "Might be worth the risk" category, and football and wrestling are in the "Probably not worth the risk" category, in regards to youth sports anyway.

I'm least confident in my assessment of wrestling and basketball. Either way, my wife and I want to really look into the research more before we'd stop our kid from playing any of the sports, although football seems like a no-brainer for avoiding.

Most of the physical strain in basketball is on the knees and legs in general, which younger bodies are well-equipped to handle. So that's definitely in the "safe" category, certainly of competitive sports.

I'd put hockey squarely in the "not worth the risk" category, personally.

Yeah, the Ray Rice deal kind of made me feel too bad to watch the NFL as much and the CTE finding sealed it.

It's just a scummy business and I need something better to do with my time.

jwhit28

In our county most of the sports were becoming pay to play even when I graduated 10 years ago. Football was the only sport where you didn't have to put your money in or do fundraising during the whole season. I wouldn't be sad if football went away but I hope would-be players fall into other after school activities because it did really keep us out of trouble and made us hold each other accountable. There were plenty of times where "we could get kicked off the team" was the only barrier our teenage brains had to keep us from doing stupid stuff. Not because football was important but because you were basically sitting at home doing nothing while your friends were at practice, weightlifting, or whatever. Your friends that weren't on the team we're still probably in band, flagteam, or cheerleading getting ready for the football game too. When all of the parents of those students that participate on Fridays also get involved making meals, helping transport, and doing fundraising for other sports seasons, you get the phenomenon of football shutting down small towns and becoming a community cornerstone. It's not something that would translate easily to soccer or basketball because you can't have that same number of students participating.

While I do think this is generally a good thing, I can't help but feel bad for players who are passionate about the sport.

I'm sure they will still find a way to play if they really want to though

RocknRola

Baseball isn't cheap at all. It's more expensive than soccer, since a full team's worth of equipment is more expensive.

In soccer you need cleats, shinguards, padded jersey, padded shorts (goalie), gloves (goalie), ball.

In baseball you need gloves, helmet (batter), padding (catcher), faceguard (catcher), shinguards (catcher), catcher's mitt, bats (several), red clay (for the ball), balls (several).

I can't see how baseball is cheaper than soccer.

Man, you need a whole lot of stuff to play baseball, damn.

Necro

Banned
Basketball is pretty cheap, just don't be gordon hayward in highschool especially if you dont have health insurance.

I don't think we'll miss the WC two times in a row, Pullistic will get another shot. And another thing to consider is the fact that population growth in the US is almost entirely driven by Latinos. They brought their love of soccer with them and passed it on to their children. A ton of them are coaching their kids in recreational leagues, and passing their knowledge on to other kids as well (my son included). They're changing the culture surrounding the game in a good way, that more than anything is why I strongly believe that soccer has the brightest future of any sport by far in the US.

My brother is a MLS referee and he is even more bullish on the future of US soccer than I am, despite the US men failing to qualify for the WC.

I have no doubt that Pulisic will play in both 2022 and 2026, assuming we qualify and nothing happens to him.

He'll only be 27 in 2026.

Slixshot

Banned
Bring on the popularization of futbol in America! It’s one of my least favorite things about the USA is how American football has dwarfed soccer. I want teams as popular as AC Milan and Chelsea around here!

lol Nothing, at least in my part of the country. Soccer is what kids play when they are very young before they join real sports like football, basketball and maybe baseball.

Yeah, it's such child's play that you guys decided to skip the next World Cup to give a chance to everyone else. You know, because you were just tired of winning all the time.

Not more than soccer.

I don't know how this is an opinion that can exist.

Draxal

Cant imagine that football is going to stay on top for much longer. Outside of Alabama/Texas/Florida, its gotta start dying at some point.

Hockey can take advantage of this in Northern states like MN, MI, MA, NJ, NY. Its got the physicality and requires a ton of athleticism. Some of the best players are small, which gives it an advantage over basketball.

Baseball is seen as boring by many, which sucks but thats the reality. Many families avoid it on purpose. Soccer just isnt a thing in a good chunk of the country. Not that hockey is much better in more than half the states, but hey.

Basketball, Soccer, Baseball, and Hockey should all see gains but who knows who gets the most. All of them have stigmas that are going to be hard to shake.

Maybe something else gets brought into that top group, like lacrosse or something.

Cant see individual sports likr tennis or swimming or wrestling make up much room. Theyre just too drastically different.

I mean bro, if you don't think Hockey is going to be affected by Concussion issues, you're kinda delusional.

Kite

Yeah, it's such child's play that you guys decided to skip the next World Cup to give a chance to everyone else. You know, because you were just tired of winning all the time.
Today I learned the world cup is going on (?), it's NFL and NBA time right now so about soccer.. ok.

trs1080

Neo Member
I kinda assume at some point high schools and colleges will fear lawsuits enough to remove football from being affiliated with the schools. Dunno how you can keep promoting such a dangerous activity and not get sued into oblivion in the future.

On the local sports radio of course they get a lot of the callers with "it teaches da kids da discipline!" which is total crap. As if you can't get that from a less dangerous sport.

ryseing

Today I learned the world cup is going on (?), it's NFL and NBA time right now so about soccer.. ok.

Qualifiers are going on.

America wasn't able to qualify out of the easiest confederation in the world because we weren't able to tie Trinidad and Tobago.

The thing is with high school football its actually becoming more more ... cutthroat (still nothing like AAU).

The small town schools aren't thriving, but for example in New Jersey, the parochials are thriving more then ever.

Oh yes. PC, St. Joe's, and Dom Bosco are fucking huge when it comes to that (and possibly more aggressive now than when I was in high school not too long ago).

My take is still HS football's fine as long as they know what they're signing up for.
I kinda regret never trying out myself tbh.

I dunno, I'm in my mid-30's and it seems most parents my age realize there are risks with youth football, but you wouldnt know it by looking at stickers of the local youth leagues on cars and local fields on saturdays. Every late july/early august around there there's elementary school age boys in pads running drills and coaches yelling at them and parents sitting on the sidelines watching their kids practice. This isnt even the south or traditional football hotbeds I'm talking about here, just chicago suburbs.

It might be declining, but it'll still be a while before high school football goes to a "club only" type sport.

jwhit28

I kinda assume at some point high schools and colleges will fear lawsuits enough to remove football from being affiliated with the schools. Dunno how you can keep promoting such a dangerous activity and not get sued into oblivion in the future.

On the local sports radio of course they get a lot of the callers with "it teaches da kids da discipline!" which is total crap. As if you can't get that from a less dangerous sport.
There aren't a lot of high school sports spots for overweight kids. Definitely not for the free sports in my area that would also introduce to you to an actual gym and workout routines. If you had the money you could golf.

That's a big part of why 7 on 7 isn't just a flat replacement.

ElNino

I mean bro, if you don't think Hockey is going to be affected by Concussion issues, you're kinda delusional.
It already is. I believe it was Probert who they determined had CTE after he died.

Youth hockey at least minimizes it slightly as they don't allow hitting until they are teenagers, but hockey can at least be played without major (intentional) contact. Football by design, has significantly more chance of head injures for some positions at least.

As for youth football, as my sons have been in flag football for years now, I highly encourage it. It is fun for the kids and actually much more entertaining to watch as coaches/parents since most youth football just ends up being sweep runs left and right. With flag we encourage more throwing at a younger age, and in some situations it is required.

JCX

Football will be my generation's boxing. It's not going to die off completely, but the younger generation will wonder why we enjoy something so brutal.

jwhit28

Football will be my generation's boxing. It's not going to die off completely, but the younger generation will wonder why we enjoy something so brutal.
Our generation moved from boxing to something faster with even more viscous knockouts...

Top Bottom