• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron successfully dives to deepest point on Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

iirate

I don't get how anyone can wish ill on this venture just because they don't like some of his movies. And they are questioning what good HIS HOBBIES will bring to the scientific community, to humanity it sounds like for some of yall. Last I checked, me playing video games and watching movies didn't contribute to shit in humanity. This guy will discover new life, map out more of the ocean, have never before seen footage of the unknown, and bring samples of whatever the heck is down there. God speed, Cameron.

Seriously. I'm not a fan of Cameron's movies, but I'm now a fan of Cameron. He's doing some serious good here.

Yeah, this is pretty awesome. I hope he finds something unprecedented.

It always surprises me how little we know about the world we live on.

Dash27

Cameron is a conceited idiot, but that said I'd like to be able to do this too so I suppose I cant blame him.

Duki

Banned
I guess every opinion about Cameron is valid. That said, Avatar and Titanic were the exact opposite of "smart" filmmaking.

they were smart storytelling son

he told stories he wanted to tell, in the way he wanted to tell them, and in a way that resonated with many people

they were literally fundamentally solid movies that people loved

cameron hate train needs to fuck off already goddamn

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
He's going to renew his contract with Cthulhu.

Air

Banned
This is very exciting. Can't wait to see what he finds. There should be more deep-sea exploration methinks.

Esiquio

This is amazing. I was reading about the four teams racing to the bottom on BBC a couple of weeks ago and it mentioned how Cameron's project was wrapped in total secrecy. Watching that video and reading some of that Nat Geo website got me really excited for this. He's basically doing things I would be if I had his money.

Biff

I guess we won't be seeing any footage for a year?

Hopefully Nat Geo releases some footage ASAP.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I guess every opinion about Cameron is valid. That said, Avatar and Titanic were the exact opposite of "smart" filmmaking.

They were absolutely brilliant filmmaking; they were just average films. Those movies were ingeniously constructed to bring in the largest audience humanly possible and they succeeded.

Puddles

Banned
I actually think Titanic is a great period piece, as well as a spectacular thriller once shit goes down. It also works very well as a commentary on the decline and death of the Victorian-era aristocratic system.

Dead

well not really...yet
They were absolutely brilliant filmmaking; they were just average films. Those movies were ingeniously constructed to bring in the largest audience humanly possible and they succeeded.
I don't think Titanic was purposefully constructed to achieve that effect, it just did as a result of what the film was always supposed to be.

And Avatar might be more deliberate in terms of aiming for that goal by the end, but again I don't think it was the original motive either when you look at the big picture of what was filmed and what the budget and length must have been by the end obviously made an impact on the final edit. And again, the story is sourced back to 1995, so its not like the simplicity of the story was decided upon due to the success of Titanic.

In the end, both movies still contained elements that would have made them complete clusterfucks in the hands of lesser filmmakers, even with the same story beats. Titanic with its 3+ hour runtime and story that everyone and their mother knew the end to, and Avatar with its...well fucking everything.

GhaleonEB

I don't think Titanic was purposefully constructed to achieve that effect, it just did as a result of what the film was always supposed to be.

And Avatar might be more deliberate in terms of aiming for that goal by the end, but again I don't think it was the original motive either when you look at the big picture of what was filmed and what the budget and length must have been by the end obviously made an impact on the final edit. And again, the story is sourced back to 1995, so its not like the simplicity of the story was decided upon due to the success of Titanic.

In the end, both movies still contained elements that would have made them complete clusterfucks in the hands of lesser filmmakers, even with the same story beats. Titanic with its 3+ hour runtime and story that everyone and their mother knew the end to, and Avatar with its...well fucking everything.

Yup. Turn the same material over to another director, and the films would not have worked anywhere near the same degree. I mean, Titanic is a $200m three hour period piece where everyone knows the ending. People forget how hugely risky it was, how it was mocked almost right until it opened. But Cameron made it work, and brilliantly.

Yup. Turn the same material over to another director, and the films would not have worked anywhere near the same degree. I mean, Titanic is a $200m three hour period piece where everyone knows the ending. People forget how hugely risky it was, how it was mocked almost right until it opened. But Cameron made it work, and brilliantly.

And AVATAR was just as big a risk, yet everybody seems to forget that after it became the highest grossing film ever. The amount of BIGGEST BOMBA EVER talk from everywhere during its production was huge. It had a massive budget, a cast of unknown leads and was releasing primarily in 3D which had been a HUGE turnoff for people before that and no commercial film had ever been distributed primarily in the format.

Ithil

Cameron is a conceited idiot, but that said I'd like to be able to do this too so I suppose I cant blame him.

I like how because you don't like some of his films, he's an idiot. Cameron is genuinely smart, possibly genius level.

I'm not even talking about his films. I just mean his brain works really damn well. All the shit to do with this dive, all the technology, etc, you can be damn sure he understands every bit of it.

Koodo

Banned
I am interesting in knowing what kind of thought process (or lack thereof) could lead one to call James Cameron an idiot.

That said, Avatar and Titanic were the exact opposite of "smart" filmmaking.

I'm not a fan of Titanic or Avatar, or Cameron for that matter, but this statement is utter nonsense. Titanic is brilliant filmmaking. You shouldn't be able to achieve a box office result like that from the Titanic story, yet Cameron did. It wasn't luck.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The dude has balls. I could never do this in a million years. I get claustrophobic watching OTHER people in small spaces. I cringed through half of The Descent.

I hope he finds some really amazing stuff. Good luck to him.

Casp0r

Banned
Cameron somehow sold me on 3D ... despite me hating every 3D movie I've watched after Avatar.

Thanks Cameron, you made me waste a couple extra quid paying for a choppy frame rate headache. Fix it ple- link ... oh wait. That's why he's the best.

Cameron somehow sold me on 3D ... despite me hating every 3D movie I've watched after Avatar.

Thanks Cameron, you made me waste a couple extra quid paying for a choppy frame rate headache. Fix it ple- link ... oh wait. That's why he's the best.

You just gotta check whether the movie your seeing has been designed and shot for 3d. Hugo is the best 3d has ever been.

Dash27

I am interesting in knowing what kind of thought process (or lack thereof) could lead one to call James Cameron an idiot.

Not sure how in depth you'd want me to go. I dont want to derail anymore and I said I'm cool with what he's doing here. I wonder why people find it so hard to believe that one could have a negative opinion of him?

FairyD

I'm rather envious Cameron right now. He's going to a place where none have ventured before. Must be rather exciting to push the boundaries of exploration like this.

GhaleonEB

Not sure how in depth you'd want me to go. I dont want to derail anymore and I said I'm cool with what he's doing here. I wonder why people find it so hard to believe that one could have a negative opinion of him?

You can have a negative opinion of him, but calling him an idiot is factually untrue. "I don't like him" is an opinion. "He's an idiot" is has no basis in reality. Cameron is demonstrably incredibly intelligent and highly skilled in a wide number of fields.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/03/a...glimpses-of-james-camerons-deep-sea-sub-dive/

Australians will get exclusive insights into James Cameron’s already announced deep sea sub adventures via a dedicated video blog.

Telstra’s YouTube channel will host an exclusive video blog from the expedition, as well as a one-off video interview with Cameron himself. Telstra’s connection to the expedition comes, not surprisingly, in the form of telecommunications equipment, from satellite phone and Internet services via a marine grade 3.65m satellite dish that gets its traffic channeled through a receiving Telstra dish located back in Sydney. Telstra’s official release for the project quotes James Cameron as follows:

Yay!
JCTelstraSub-640x360.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom