• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

Derpot

That sounds like a great idea!

More fleshing out of these characters would be nice, because I quite liked what they already got despite it feeling so brief compared to what you get from something like an FF party.

Come to think of it though, Ganon won't be around for a looooong time, so I suppose there is no need for Champions at the moment.
But I'd like to see more of them too in the new story, and plot twist can still happen lol.
We'll see, we don't know if the DLC will happen after the events, or before, or it will be new places to go, but anyway I cannot wait. I want more BotW!

I've been trying to figure out the timeline, but I can't fit in when New Donk City is established and whether or not the events of Splatoon take place in the Child or Adult timeline.

New Donk City is established by Donkey Kong Jr after the Imprisoning Splatfest after Sauron learns of the location of the Chaos Emeralds on Zebes by torturing both Ice Climbers. Donkey Kong Jr obtains the Triforce of Power and wishes he was the mayor, transforming the Golden Realm into New Donk City. Donkey Kong Jr is actually the reincarnation of Donkey Kong, who is actually Cranky Kong, though, who was so upset after his defeat at the hands of Jumpman (who reincarnates as various Marios throughout the series) that he kept coming back as a new Kong.

It's all pretty straightforward actually.

Parshias7

New Donk City is established by Donkey Kong Jr after the Imprisoning Splatfest after Sauron learns of the location of the Chaos Emeralds on Zebes by torturing both Ice Climbers. Donkey Kong Jr obtains the Triforce of Power and wishes he was the mayor, transforming the Golden Realm into New Donk City. Donkey Kong Jr is actually the reincarnation of Donkey Kong, who is actually Cranky Kong, though, who was so upset after his defeat at the hands of Jumpman (who reincarnates as various Marios throughout the series) that he kept coming back as a new Kong.

It's all pretty straightforward actually.

Wait, is this in the Carpenter Timeline or the Plumber Timeline?

Finished the game. Liked the Ganon fight, I assume if you hadn't done the divine beasts you'd have to wittle through his health bar the normal way. Nice combination of all of the blight attacks along with Guardian lasers. Was fun parrying with the Hylian Shield.

Thought the pig fight was alright, nice way to to close off the battle with mid air arrow shot

Not entirely clear on what the significance of Zelda not being able to hear the Master Sword or use her powers is. The game zooming out to the silent princess flower was nice.

All in all, I like how mostly simple and to the point it is. There's no lame villain monologue, no maniacal laughing, no talking to Link at all. Just a fight between good and evil. A back to basics approach even there.

Really enjoyed Zelda's character in the game. While it's all mostly optional, the memories tell a story of insecurity and frustration at her being railroaded on a path that she doesn't want. It's such a departure from the boring depictions she's had in the last two 3D LoZ titles. Also reading her diary bring a little more context to the memories. Also liked that throwaway line about why Link doesn't speak...which I can buy with this depiction of Link.

I'm surprised the game didn't have Link put the Master Sword back in the pedestal. Feels like he's done that in every game it's been featured in, we'll aside from Wind Waker, but hey Ganondorf turns to stone there so it might as well count.

Chaos17

Give me Dlcs Nintendo now!
That ending was not worth my 100 hours of gameplay, lol
I need more closure, an epilogue, something... XD

That final boss was fucking terribad. Jesus for such an amazing game to stumble at the very last moment.

Remember how good Twilight Princess', hell even Skyward Sword's final encounters were? What if this Ganon had shrunk down to a dense, mechanical version of Demise? Or if they had even given Ganon just a bit more in the attack department. I didn't feel in danger at all during that last encounter because all he has is an extremely slow beam.

Scourge of Hyrule Castle is pretty good though. If it had just been that encounter I might have been pleased--although his shield was total garbage to suddenly prevent all damage unless you were dodging perfectly in a game that didn't really bother to encourage or require it before hand.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I really wonder what the DLC is going to be. It said "new story" and "new dungeon," right? Do you think we'll get more overworld map along with the dungeon?

My bet is on the battle 100 years ago with a new Central Hyrule map. If it's a continuation of the story I honestly have no idea.

Crayolan

Wait what is it really a new campaign!?

Only if you have pie in the sky expectations. All we were promised in terms of a new campaign is a "new original story" and a "new dungeon."

I wouldn't expect it to be much longer than the Zora or Gerudo questlines.

RagnarokX

That final boss was fucking terribad. Jesus for such an amazing game to stumble at the very last moment.

Remember how good Twilight Princess', hell even Skyward Sword's final encounters were? What if this Ganon had shrunk down to a dense, mechanical version of Demise? Or if they had even given Ganon just a bit more in the attack department. I didn't feel in danger at all during that last encounter because all he has is an extremely slow beam.

Scourge of Hyrule Castle is pretty good though. If it had just been that encounter I might have been pleased--although his shield was total garbage to suddenly prevent all damage unless you were dodging perfectly in a game that didn't really bother to encourage or require it before hand.

The best version of this type of final boss was Spirit Tracks. Maladus becomes a giant beast and attacks Link and Zelda. Link and Zelda perform a duet that places a weakpoint on Maladus' back. At that point you have to manually control both Link and Zelda. Link has to attack Maladus so that he stays distracted and you move Zelda behind Maladus and fire light arrows at the weakpoint. Then Link can hurt Maladus. It's extremely epic, which is amazing considering it's a DS game.

13ruce

Banned
Only if you have pie in the sky expectations. All we were promised in terms of a new campaign is a "new original story" and a "new dungeon."

I wouldn't expect it to be much longer than the Zora or Gerudo questlines.

Honestly i would be fine with that, hopefully it introduces 1 new enemy type and world boss along with it that would already please me tbh. Coolest would be if it takes place after the main game, after the point of the true ending. Have seen enough of the past, a post Ganon Hyrule for once would be cool. Altho they would have to change alot of dialoge for npc's for that..

Anyway it would be great if the dlc is in the main game and not a optional menu you need to choose that would be meh.

Sylas

I think the bolded was supposed to be a victory lap sort of fight. I dug the spectacle of it, but mostly because it all sorta worked for me? Even got the leap off the horse, hit the updraft, arrow to the giant eye for the killing blow. I can see how it'd lose all of it's momentum the moment something stumbles, though.

I do think the fight beforehand was a lot cooler though.

Hylian7

Having just finished it, this is an opinion I don't really understand. The first form was incredible. The second form, while easy, I really enjoyed the spectacle of it. Even though it wasn't the most challenging thing, it was fun, with the challenge really coming in the first form. The second form was more like flair and it worked really well in my opinion.

Overall, I can still say that this is easily my favorite game of all time, and of course favorite Zelda game.

This is the Zelda game I have always wanted. Over the years, I still enjoyed the series, but it was slowly becoming bogged down with elements that were dragging it down. Handholding and linear maps being the biggest ones. Skyward Sword, while still a good game, was when this stuff reached a critical mass. Fi, and the maps feeling disconnected and like corridors (with some exceptions) were it's biggest issues.

Breath of the Wild took all of this and shed it, and kept the good aspects Zelda has built up over the years. The type of Zelda I have always wanted, was basically a Zelda 1 in 3D. BotW accomplished that, and far exceeded the hype. It's been stated many times, but this game took many risks and changed the conventions of Zelda, just like the developers stated. While many of the conventions of more recent 3D Zelda were gone, there were MANY from Zelda 1 back in.

The new conventions were also excellent as well. Most of the puzzles in previous games, while intuitive and logical, generally only had one way to solve them. Breath of the Wild presents many ways to tackle a problem. The shrines are some of the examples. There was the one where you had to roll the ball through the maze, and as an alternative solution, you could just flip the maze over and bounce it to the goal that way!

You can do the game in whatever order you want, or just go straight for the end (good luck with that). And no matter what stage you take on areas, they always have a challenge to them.

The game really takes open world to a whole new level. In many open world games, they will have cliffs they don't want you climbing over, or areas they don't want you to go in for whatever reason. BotW only has one such area, and that's that mountain north of Gerudo Desert (I forget what it's called). Seeing the sprawling landscape really changes how you play the game. Getting from point A to point B is not just walking along. Maybe you're gliding, riding your horse, or you're just walking and get distracted and go to something else (which will happen a lot).

Probably one of the most frequent debates I hear about Zelda games is story vs gameplay. Some people want more story-focused Zelda, some want more gameplay-focused Zelda. I'm personally on the gameplay side, but I want the story told more subtly. BotW did that particularly well. The story sequences are light, but definitely there, and go even deeper if you are wanting to see it, especially with the memories. The memories give you background to Link and Zelda, but they're completely optional. You don't have to sit through any lengthy exposition. You don't have to wait 30 minutes just to get a sword at the start, you get one within 5.

Many of the areas were really cool. The Lost Woods was incredible, with it's chilling atmosphere and yet having a method of navigating it. Getting the Master Sword was a nice throwback to Zelda 1's White Sword, being based on how many hearts you have.

Exploration in this game was much more satisfying than it's ever been in a Zelda game, or hell any game for that matter. Often times in other games, you would "climb" death mountain, and it didn't really feel like a climb, you were just walking up a path. In BotW, you actually climbed that mountain, and barely made it with your stamina.

I absolutely love the weapon system and variety it presents. Weapon degredation has never bothered me in games for the most part, and I thought BotW's implementation of it was particularly good, since you see weapons all the time, and you have to experiment and try different weapons. You get to expand your inventory, and of course if you buy the house, you can save up to three items of each category with the displays.

The game is also full of the "Holy shit you can actually do that?!" moments, which are always incredible. I just learned the other day that if you stun a Lynel, you can mount it and hit it that way. Last night I managed to mount the Lord of the Mountain, and rode it to the stable to try to register it, but was denied sadly. All the antics in the dunkey video were incredible, with how they all actually worked.

Eventide Island deserves discussion on it's own just because of how well it was executed. You were expecting to maybe just find treasure on this island, or a shrine or two perhaps, but you get there and are in for a surprise. The Links Awakening/stranded on an island nature to it was amazing, given the game's capacity for many ways to solve a problem. Discussing my experiences with people on that island, I didn't know you could climb onto the Hinox and steal stuff off of his necklace.

I could sit here and talk all night about how genius this game is. Nintendo really nailed this one, and all it's high praise reviews are deserved. It's easily become my favorite game of all time now, and definitely exceeded the hype I had for it. I like this direction Zelda is taking, and while I realize they won't recycle all the same ideas from BotW for the next Zelda, I'm sure they will definitely take core concepts from it and reuse them.

When A Link Between Worlds came out, I really enjoyed that game, and loved the freedom in it. It gave me a good feeling about what would we would come to know as Breath of the Wild. Turns out, I was right, they were headed in the direction I thought they were, and wanted them to go.

abrack08

... I feel like a dumbass. I never even considered dodging for flurry rush or whatever it's called, which is weird because I actually used it a lot against other bosses and Lynel's and stuff.

I got frustrated and started hitting him with bombs arrows trying to time it perfectly with when he attacked me. It worked, but I took lots of lasers to the face too. Then I discovered that the Gerudo charged lightning attack thing stuns him and removes the shield for a bit, was really easy after that.

Zekes!

tumblr_inline_na2qm3VIbf1scync0.png

Word of God, not my own words.

....This is lame. I'm cool with OoT Link being in TP, 'cause it's a neat reference, but him lamenting over not being remembered as a hero? That's not something that would concern Link. That just rubs me the wrong way.

Derpot

One thing that is a bit of shame is the lack of enemy variety and classic monsters such as Gohmas, Dodongos, ReDeads or Deku Babas. It's mostly Bokoblins, Moblins and Lizalfos. The variety of weapons, of abilities they use and the environnement sometimes make the encounters different from each other in some way, but I would have liked to see more classic enemies in BotW artstyle.

Seeing the sprawling landscape really changes how you play the game. Getting from point A to point B is not just walking along. Maybe you're gliding, riding your horse, or you're just walking and get distracted and go to something else (which will happen a lot).

Haha gosh, "a lot" is an understatement. I remember when I was looking for grasshoppers for some sidequest, and I saw a shrine far, far away below. So I used my paraglider, got there, finished the shrine and when I wanted to go back where I was, I suddenly met my first Zora who told me about the prince and the Zora Domain. And since I was curious, I decided to check and got involved in a quest to stop Vah Ruta. And I was just looking for some grasshoppers lol

gwiz210

Hey friends, I actually don't want to read any spoilers but came in the thread to post this. I'm trying to find where exactly this is on the map. I don't want to see any spoilers aside from that detail so if you could, please PM me the details. Thank you!
pD7boeX.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Hey friends, I actually don't want to read any spoilers but came in the thread to post this. I'm trying to find where exactly this is on the map. I don't want to see any spoilers aside from that detail so if you could, please PM me the details. Thank you!
pD7boeX.jpg
If you climb Central Tower, Ranch Ruins will be marked on your map if you zoom in.

Twookie

This was a fucking great game, definitely my favorite game of all time I think. I got so many hours of enjoyment out of this game, and there's still things I haven't done yet!
It was the game I always wanted, yet one I didn't think I'd get for a long time.

BotW was a TRUE open world game. You could actually go anywhere in the world without the restrictions of quests/story or levels and it's so great. The sense of adventure and discovery is almost unparalleled because of it. I haven't felt so immersed in video game in many many years.

There weren't a single area in the game I didn't like, they were all distinct and well designed. Zora's domain is probably my favorite.

While I liked that the soundtrack was a bit subdued to make way for the sounds of the worlds to shine through, I think it sometimes were a bit too subdued. It's a good OST though.

I liked the Ganon fight too, although I can totally see why people wouldn't like it. If you were too strong, you could easily overpower him. Design was fucking awesome imo.
Hard mode is going to be fun for sure when it comes out, and I hope they make it so food spoil over time, because without that you can binge create food that makes you restore all hearts fairly easily.

While the game did have some flaws, it never detracted from my experience, but here's my list anyway:
Zelda's VO never bothered me
actually liked it
, but the King's and Deku Tree's VO was completely awful. Did not fit at all IMO.
The fact that you cannot mitigate slipping while climbing in the rain is a bummer.
Nintendo keeps blueballing us with no Zelda-Link kiss, too
tears.gif

A bit more enemy variety wouldn't hurt.

All in all, what a fucking great game, holy shit. I cannot wait for the story DLC. Not sure there's any game that can beat this for me for a loooooooooooooong time.

watershed

Banned
Beat the game tonight. Great spectacle leading up to the final fight(s) and some pretty cool stuff in those fights, but a really lackluster ending. I don't know why the devs didn't do more with showing the world or at least key characters recognizing the end of Ganon. The end credits music is also nowhere near the greatness of Skyward Sword's. Seems like some missed opportunities at the very end.

Amazing game overall. One of my favorite experiences ever and beating the game doesn't mean I'm done with it. Gonna pour in a ton more hours into the shrines and side quests.

I think the bolded was supposed to be a victory lap sort of fight. I dug the spectacle of it, but mostly because it all sorta worked for me? Even got the leap off the horse, hit the updraft, arrow to the giant eye for the killing blow. I can see how it'd lose all of it's momentum the moment something stumbles, though.

I do think the fight beforehand was a lot cooler though.

I think another big problem for me was that his inner eye didn't actually open when that happened, and the game seems to be making the indication that you should catch the first updraft he creates to hit it. So I kept eating lasers because I was trying to get up there and shoot him in the eye which wasn't actually open.

Having just finished it, this is an opinion I don't really understand. The first form was incredible. The second form, while easy, I really enjoyed the spectacle of it. Even though it wasn't the most challenging thing, it was fun, with the challenge really coming in the first form. The second form was more like flair and it worked really well in my opinion.

The first form being so effective as an actual boss makes the second form all that much more disappointing for me. If it's going to be a spectacle fight, I'd almost rather it be a QTE. That's more exciting because you can go crazy with what's happening on screen. A slow, plodding Ganon that shoots just out of the front of his mouth is especially boring given the context of "He's given up on reincarnation." Like, fuck, shouldn't that just be the end all god-tier of a boss? You just slowly run around him and he dies without any effort.

... I feel like a dumbass. I never even considered dodging for flurry rush or whatever it's called, which is weird because I actually used it a lot against other bosses and Lynel's and stuff.

I got frustrated and started hitting him with bombs arrows trying to time it perfectly with when he attacked me. It worked, but I took lots of lasers to the face too. Then I discovered that the Gerudo charged lightning attack thing stuns him and removes the shield for a bit, was really easy after that.

I had the full Guardian set mostly maxed out so the damage wasn't much of a problem for me. I also had been doing parries on his lasers.

Remember how good
Twilight Princess', hell even Skyward Sword's final encounters were? What if this Ganon had shrunk down to a dense, mechanical version of Demise? Or if they had even given Ganon just a bit more in the attack department. I didn't feel in danger at all during that last encounter because all he has is an extremely slow beam.

No I don't remember this. Ghirahim and the buildup to his fight was amazing and fun but Demise was a gigantic disappointment. I remembered saying "that's it?" and then we ended up with another ganon-lite villian.

RagnarokX

No I don't remember this. Ghirahim and the buildup to his fight was amazing and fun but Demise was a gigantic disappointment. I remembered saying "that's it?" and then we ended up with another ganon-lite villian.

The way the game hinted at what you had to do in the Demise fight and the realization that that would work and the sheer epicness of that gave me one of the biggest grins I've ever had in a Zelda game.

SolVanderlyn

From Reddit

The reason I find this Link the most interesting in the series is that despite the lack of voiced lines, this Link is talkative, but he wasn't always that way...

In Zelda's room you can find a diary (that I didn't find my first time in there, so it might be related to finding all the memories first). That diary actually recalls most of the memories up until the point before Link's death. In one of the entries, Zelda notes the fact that Link never speaks. That his constant stare vexes her to no end, and that she is infuriated by the fact that he never says what is on his mind...

But that's when we find out that Link isn't just mute. Zelda states that she and Link had a conversation about how he chooses to remain silent at almost all times out of necessity. He feels compelled to stay silent because his silence is what keeps the champions calm, that his stoicism actually helps give the others a rock to hold on to.

It's also a very important thing to note since Zelda herself notes that his silence is also a mark of his own challenges in life, and I can almost imagine that the two had an argument over this since I can't see any other reason why past Link would finally break his silence to speak to her, and to tell her about all the troubles he's faced in his own journey. It also made the memory at the small stone statues so much more powerful as well since we now know that Link has his own insecurities.

Fast forward to the present day, and Link is the most ridiculous person you can think of. He's constantly making seal puns, joking around with people, and overall being a nice guy in dialogue. I believe this is actually a rather clever way of showing that Link has truly lost his memory as even part of his personality has radically changed. He is no longer stoic, but rather a bit comical - cocky even. This makes it all the more powerful when we finally get to the true ending, and Zelda asks if he actually remembers her. It also makes each memory you reclaim that much more powerful as Link's almost overacted "shock" at each flashback is actually genuine shock in the character: he is completely unable to recognize himself.

This has also made me rethink the past Links in the 3D games. What if their lack of speech isn't out of inability, but out of necessity? Think back to OoT where Saria's conversation with Link makes him look like a total dick because he won't reply to her, but in reality he's just being silent because he knows much more than she does. Or maybe the silence Link shows to his Grandma in Wind Waker when she learns he's heading out on his own? Or even the many other Links in the series who have simply not said anything to anyone other than what was absolutely necessary?

I'm not sure if anyone has really thought about it to this extent, but I thought it was really interesting, and a new way to look at the characters throughout the series.

A good read.

I really wonder what the DLC is going to be. It said "new story" and "new dungeon," right? Do you think we'll get more overworld map along with the dungeon?

My bet is on the battle 100 years ago with a new Central Hyrule map. If it's a continuation of the story I honestly have no idea.
Makes no sense to give you the perfect ending of him and Zelda walking along new Hyrule going towards the malfunctioning divine beasts if the new campaign is going to be something else.

I'm hoping the new beasts are malfunctioning and you have to team up with the people who helped you get to them before hand, plus Zelda, to destroy them. Because purifying them again would be lame.

Also what the fuck was with Nintendo bullshitting with the "in this game Zelda can get mad with you"

Can get my ass, it's a memory or two or her being mad with you

Hylian7

So I'm sure this has been brought up in here before, and will be a subject of much debate: timeline placement.

I have two theories on where this game goes.

1. It goes after Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess. The strongest evidence for this is the ceremony memory when Zelda mentions "Skyward bound, adrift through time, or lost in the embers of Twilight". It doesn't really explain why Koroks and Rito exist though.

2. This is a more far-fetched theory, but if the timeline has shenanigans like OoT having 3 endings, then I think this is plausible too: The timeline becomes unified. Somehow, some way, all 3 splits become unified. This might explain why Ganon is "Calamity Ganon", instead of having a human basis (although Urbosa mentions his human form being Gerudo, aka Ganondorf). Maybe Calamity Ganon is some kind of transcendent being. There is strong evidence for this game being on all 3 timelines, so maybe they have become unified. This game also takes place far in the future, as we know it is at least 10,100 years after a previous event.

Hylian7

There is that labeled mountain in the Gerudo Highlands that if you try to climb it, it says you can't proceed further in that direction, despite that not being the edge of the map. I think something will take place there.

There are some things about the world that feel a little... artistically incongruent. Like, early on, it feels like the world is setting itself up as a dead Hyrule, with people finding ways to survive. That's cool, and it was a pleasant surprise for certain. However, it felt weird and unnatural that EVERYTHING was fine, at least in terms of the stables and towns. I was hoping I'd find a town that is besieged by Stal creatures (and therefore went into hiding late at night), or maybe a stable near Hyrule Castle that you have to rescue from Guardians. Instead, the stables felt a little gamey, and they almost feel like they aren't areas in the game, if that makes sense. I also don't like how animals and humans don't interact in the same way as Link does with them. I would have really appreciated a more complex AI system, where animals, humans, and monsters will react to one another in the way that Link does. I know that there are scripted events with monsters hunting animals or harassing humans, yet at the same time I've seen people stroll near Guardians without any trouble.

To clarify, I'm a big fan of this game - favorite 3D Zelda - I just felt like I needed to air my grievances about the world design and NPC interaction lol

Galava

Loved the game, but have one major issue with it. Hyrule castle.

It's supposed to be the last dungeon, with the main villain as final boss, and features no puzzles, no exploration, no nothing, just go straight to boss' room and fight him. So disappointed. I can understand Ganon not saying a word ecause he is just a manifestation, not a concious being (which I cannot wait to learn in a future game why ganon became this amalgamation instead of reincarnating into a person)., but the whole final part is just underwhelming.

Regarding future games, a sequel to this would be awesome. Same link, same zelda (or new ones, idc). Go to a new region in order to explore it and see what the hell happened with other kingdoms or places (if any) in these 100+ years. Build outposts along the way, explore ancient ruins, temples... in this new region.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

The 2nd form is basically the equivalent of Super Metroid's Mother Brain fight post-Metroid sacrifice.

Twookie

It's supposed to be the last dungeon, with the main villain as final boss, and features no puzzles, no exploration, no nothing, just go straight to boss' room and fight him. So disappointed. I can understand Ganon not saying a word ecause he is just a manifestation, not a concious being (which I cannot wait to learn in a future game why ganon became this amalgamation instead of reincarnating into a person)., but the whole final part is just underwhelming.

there's actually a lot to find in the castle. try going around with the magnet rune for example. there's even a shrine there! you CAN go to directly to the boss if you want, but you can explore it if you take yoru time.

Sylas

Regarding future games, a sequel to this would be awesome. Same link, same zelda (or new ones, idc). Go to a new region in order to explore it and see what the hell happened with other kingdoms or places (if any) in these 100+ years. Build outposts along the way, explore ancient ruins, temples... in this new region.
There was a ton of exploration. A lot of the puzzles were in finding ways to snake your way up the castle too. Hell, it even has a secret item!

RetroMG

Wow, I think you and I played very different versions of Hyrule Castle. That place was amazing. I mean, I'll kind of give you no puzzles. (Except for taking the mine cart in. And unlocking the shrine. And finding the King's study.) But it's true that there are no traditional Zelda Puzzles
No exploration? I spent like two days IRL wandering around that place.

Honestly, I wish more of the dungeons had been like Hyrule Castle.

Or if they had even given Ganon just a bit more in the attack department. I didn't feel in danger at all during that last encounter because all he has is an extremely slow beam.

Hey, we're in Hyrule Field, where are the Guardians? Even sending a Guardian or two after us occasionally would have made that fight significantly harder.

The first form being so effective as an actual boss makes the second form all that much more disappointing for me. If it's going to be a spectacle fight, I'd almost rather it be a QTE. That's more exciting because you can go crazy with what's happening on screen. A slow, plodding Ganon that shoots just out of the front of his mouth is especially boring given the context of "He's given up on reincarnation." Like, fuck, shouldn't that just be the end all god-tier of a boss? You just slowly run around him and he dies without any effort.
I mean, if challenge is your issue, I'm not sure why you consider Ganondorf in TP to be good. His one on one fight is easier than a Darknut battle, and the ones before being tennis with Zelda, goat stopping Ganon, and chasing after him by horse while Zelda autotargets werent exactly that exciting either.

robotrock

Banned
I loved the final boss fight so much, spider ganon was extremely unsettling. ended up appreciating the boss even more when i learned that if you didn't do the divine beast stuff, it wouldn't have knocked down half of his health.

the way the music got kicked up to 11 at the second form was like my favorite thing ever

sanstesy

The best final fight is definitely still either OoT or Wind Waker. No final fight in Zelda games was ever truly challenging but OoT had the sword tennis novelty + crumbling castle and Wind Waker the Ganondorf story set-up plus very good build-up to the final sword battle unlike TP.

Ogodei

Best final fight in the 3D Era was probably Demise, truly challenging (except for the part where you could raise your sword to summon lightning in the very final phase). WindWaker Ganondorf was no slouch due to his swift movements compared to most other enemies in the game, kind of took you by surprise.

Kinsei

Banned
The best final fight is definitely still either OoT or Wind Waker. No final fight in Zelda games was ever truly challenging but OoT had the sword tennis novelty + crumbling castle and Wind Waker the Ganondorf story set-up plus very good build-up to the final sword battle unlike TP.

Maybe when you only count 3D games.

Minish Cap Vaati is the best boss in the entire series.

13ruce

Banned
To be honest i love all final fights in Zelda games they all are cool in their own ways.

I do agree making the second form harder in this game maybe that will happen in the hard mode dlc.

sanstesy

Maybe when you only count 3D games.

Minish Cap Vaati is the best boss in the entire series.

I don't consider any of the final boss fights in the 2D games good other than maybe ALBW (because of the wall merging mechanic).

Oh yeah, I forgot Spirit Tracks!

The difference between OoT's Ganon and BOTW's Ganon is night and day, it's really interesting to me. OoT's Ganon: everything about that fight is like, a desperate struggle for survival, the stakes are high, and it's do or die. The music is intense and grandiose. The castle is in ruins, you lose the Master Sword, Zelda can't help you, and you're staring down this massive, angry beast who's just survived a castle falling on his head. It's not the hardest fight in the world or anything, but everything about the framing of it makes it a hugely effective climax. And then the final stab with the Master Sword while Zelda holds him down is just awesome.

BOTW, on the other hand: Sure, we're told Ganon's a mindless rampaging beast, but he kind of just stands there and doesn't actually feel threatening at all. The music, meanwhile, is very upbeat and victorious. And you're fighting him outside on a big sunny field, you're given an OP weapon and you're basically unstoppable. It's a victory lap, you've already won.

I don't think BOTW's approach is invalid, but it's not nearly spectacular or awesome enough to really work as a victory lap, at least for me, not in the least because his first form wasn't very hard either. It feels unearned and underwhelming.

robotrock

Banned
My favorite final fight in a Zelda game is the A Link Between Worlds one. sorry. turning the other way and firing that arrow is way too cool

Edzi

Majora's Mask is the best fight for me in terms of staging and setup. The whole fight was surreal and terrifying in the best way possible.

sanstesy

Majora's Mask is the best fight for me in terms of staging and setup. The whole fight was surreal and terrifying in the best way possible.

It's kind of like Breath of the Wild in that the build-up is way cooler than the actual fight and in order for the fight to be worth something you have to hold back on doing optional content. The first time you arrive on the moon is awesome and the quests you do to get the Fierce Deity's Mask are fun but then the fight becomes a spam-A-to-win fest.

Tookay

Hey, we're in Hyrule Field, where are the Guardians? Even sending a Guardian or two after us occasionally would have made that fight significantly harder.

This is the main thing. Dodging some guardian lasers would completely transform the last fight into something way more challenging.

As it is, I like it as a victory lap/spectacle thing.

13ruce

Banned
This is the main thing. Dodging some guardian lasers would completely transform the last fight into something way more challenging.

As it is, I like it as a victory lap/spectacle thing.

I hope this is the way they make that fight harder in hard mode.....having a few guardians 3-4 following/attacking you during that fight would be intense as fuck.

Galava

Wow, I think you and I played very different versions of Hyrule Castle. That place was amazing. I mean, I'll kind of give you no puzzles. (Except for taking the mine cart in. And unlocking the shrine. And finding the King's study.) But it's true that there are no traditional Zelda Puzzles
No exploration? I spent like two days IRL wandering around that place.

Honestly, I wish more of the dungeons had been like Hyrule Castle.

I went inside to explore and suddenly I ended up in the boss' room in less than 10 minutes. Didn't actually see anything else. Time to go exploring then.

Top Bottom