• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hybrid by 5th Cell (Scribblenauts) Beta Sign Up - XBLA

Jackson, any hints about the other 4 gametypes?

The other thing that would be fun, would be the ability to have a special gametype that's only played when a zone is nearly captured, some kind of assault/defend assymetic gametype where the team nearing the capture has to really work together to win/ finish the capture, and the other side has a chance to hold them off/catch up.

Jackson

Jackson, any hints about the other 4 gametypes?

E3 probably. :)

the prorgression in Hybrid favors those who play more, way too much. The most egregious example is the passive buffs, which see some pretty dramatic improvements after a few levels. A new player with a level 1 armor buff going up against a dude with a level 5 armor buff is at a serious disadvantage. That generally gives the person who's played longer an extra one-two shots to get right.

A lot of this could be solved by stronger matchmaking though, so I never feel like I lost because I was underpowered.

To be fair, the amount of increase in stats we're talking about in Specialization from Tier 1 to Tier 5 is just a few %. It's not enough to give any unfair advantage. In fact read what Xtortionist wrote earlier in this thread:

I'm level 19 and haven't lost more than 5 games total. 90% of my games were with the base assault rifle, Satellite and Strategist.

He's using the XP Specialization which gives 0% bonus to any combat related stats and claims to be winning 90% of his matches.

There's no "better guns", just guns you prefer. Our beta unlock system is not our final unlock system. Our final one is more suited toward getting people what they prefer. If Hybrid prefers people who play more, then it's because they have more practice and are therefor more skilled.

Looking forward to it. I really hope the creativity I'm seeing in the core game extends out to the gamemodes :)

To be fair, the amount of increase in stats we're talking about in Specialization from Tier 1 to Tier 5 is just a few %. It's not enough to give any unfair advantage. In fact read what Xtortionist wrote earlier in this thread:

He's using the XP Specialization which gives 0% bonus to any combat related stats and claims to be winning 90% of his matches.

There's no "better guns", just guns you prefer. Our beta unlock system is not our final unlock system. Our final one is more suited toward getting people what they prefer. If Hybrid prefers people who play more, then it's because they have more practice and are therefor more skilled.

That's probably true, (bonusses are 4-8-12-15 then 20 or 25 I'd guess? And it's also good to hear it's being flattened somewhat, as I think the early weapon choices miss a few roles (see previous comment about inability to hit upside down snipers, especially if they are rocking the 2nd tier sniper). And I'm not saying that it isn't enough for a good player to overcome...

But it does give the player who has played longer (and is already better) a larger advantage, in a way that trips something in my gut. At some point, I stopped blaming myself in firefights, and started blaming the progression system. Even if those numbers are small, I found myself cursing the guy who I fought's loadout (Lvl 35, using teleport and a pretty well beefed armor bonus) instead of my reaction times. Even if he is only a little stronger than me, the perception gets magnified till it feels unfair, even if it isn't all that unfair.

The other issue I think the current system leads to, is some feeling of losing control of a firefight. Early on in the beta, I started to get a grip to how long I could stay out of cover before dying, or how long I needed to keep fire on a guy for him to go down. Now that I'm playing more, I'm finding that because of the effectiveness of leveling up and various perks it's harder to predict this kind of stuff, which amplifies the previous feelings of "hey it's stacked against me."

I'm enjoying the game more and more though, I'm actually starting to enjoy Defense Grid more, I think the trick is to use a flanking/in your face class to break through one path of the U and come around behind the team that's in a calcified position. Even if you don't get may kills, you can generally get the other team to poke their heads out long enough to get shot, or ignore the nades heading their way.

Thanks for coming to engage with us over here Jackson!

surly

Banned
Here's a spare code: -

74R97-C73DW-W7J99-TJ7V6-H2YDZ

If you use it, please post and say so, so that others don't waste their time trying it.

Gowans

Give it another go tonight, hung round in a Lobby again with 3 Varients and a paladin for 10mins till someone got bored and disconnected.

Oh well off to play something else :(

Five beta codes here:

KMM26-QQQ79-GJMK9-D9P3J-9JJPZ
KMR6F-HCC3P-XMFF9-YHRX9-F34MZ
KMP7Q-VF966-6Y3TJ-VYX96-9X7FZ
KMV7F-92Q67-PPT92-6D9DD-RYYRZ
KMV49-7FYH6-QTG29-D6WQ7-2HT4Z

Ten more down there, hidden away to stop lurkers taking them. Quote to see:

Blizzard

Banned
I imagine you're probably quite busy, but if you have a minute -- what percentage of the 5th Cell Hybrid team had Scribblenauts people on it? I wondered if you largely had the same group of people from the DS games, or whether the team had largely changed for a new engine/game style.

I find XP and faster cooldown (good with Satellite) to be the most effective passives. Never used damage or armor due to the prevalence of one hit kill weapons. Still going to stick with XP until I unlock teleport though. My friend who has it gets a double or triple kill at the start of almost every match by zooming over to them with the pump shotty lol.

Satchel

Banned
Entered my code and it tells me there is a problem associated with it?

I'm at work so I entered the code on my phone.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I finally got to play this and it seems like an interesting game.

Except this motherfucker keeps snipping me from god knows where when I'm under cover, not even blind firing!

He just uses the regular sniper and a bullet damage multiplier and he FUCKING SMOKES EVERYBODY ON THE TEAM. On the last round, dude had a 25 kill streak. I don't even see how that's possible. Maybe it's just that I have a shitty ass ping, but it's fucking maddening.

I'll try to play it again when cheat mc cheater is not around.

Oh, the radar seems to be the best special ability in the game.

A 15-20% bonus is pretty significant, I wouldn't call it "a few percentage points"

A one person sample size hardly makes an argument, I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's a good shot/strategist:)P). The entire problem is that someone who plays a lot not only get's more skilled, but will have a 15-20% damage, health, skill regen, bot strength advantage over newbies. That's not good in any way, newbies will be the lifeblood of the game as you get farther away from the release date. Pointing to one guy and saying 'look he won without them' is completely meaningless, and frankly, dumb.

Look you guys have your reasons, but this sort of stuff hurts newbies. You can argue how much or how little it hurts them, but it hurts to some degree, don't pretend it doesn't.

Emitan

Jackson, will you be releasing any of the info that you're collecting (assuming you're collecting metrics during the beta)?

Look you guys have your reasons, but this sort of stuff hurts newbies. You can argue how much or how little it hurts them, but it hurts to some degree, don't pretend it doesn't.

One hit kill weapons will hurt newbies. Specs like damage and armor are meaningless when you're getting cross mapped by the bolt action sniper or Gambler.

Decreased skill cooldown is very useful and probably the most competitive spec. That being, the spec you should use when playing to win against tough opponents. Getting radar or teleport up again faster is very relevant. Again, a bit of extra damage or armor isn't going to help against a team of players using Gamblers or snipers or teleporting with shotguns.

One hit kill weapons will hurt newbies. Specs like damage and armor are meaningless when you're getting cross mapped by the bolt action sniper or Gambler.

Decreased skill cooldown is very useful and probably the most competitive spec. That being, the spec you should use when playing to win against tough opponents. Getting radar or teleport up again faster is very relevant. Again, a bit of extra damage or armor isn't going to help against a team of players using Gamblers or snipers or teleporting with shotguns.

If you're suggesting that the weapon gap is worse than the Specialization gap, I can agree with that. I just don't have enough experience with the game to make that argument myself. They both contribute to the same problem but I'm not really in a place to say which is worse.

If you're suggesting that the weapon gap is worse than the Specialization gap, I can agree with that. I just don't have enough experience with the game to make that argument myself. They both contribute to the same problem but I'm not really in a place to say which is worse.

I wouldn't even say the weapon gap is that bad...isn't the bolt action sniper unlocked at level 1?

I just think that eventually players will figure out that OHK weapons in Hybrid are super-available and easy to use, leading to new players getting pinned down and insta-killed constantly against even an average team. Then I guess they'll learn. The game can be frustrating when it's 3v3 with all 6 players using Gamblers and snipers. It's impossible to move without teleport (level 31 ugh) and the slightest mistake means death.

I wouldn't even say the weapon gap is that bad...isn't the bolt action sniper unlocked at level 1?

I just think that eventually players will figure out that OHK weapons in Hybrid are super-available and easy to use, leading to new players getting pinned down and insta-killed constantly against even an average team. Then I guess they'll learn. The game can be frustrating when it's 3v3 with all 6 players using Gamblers and snipers. It's impossible to move without teleport (level 31 ugh) and the slightest mistake means death.

Bolt action is level 15, Semi auto is at level 1

Hmmm.

Got two 'host has disconnected' msgs and now it's giving me: HYBRID SERVICE STATUS: The Hybrid service is not available. Please try again later.

Emitan

Oh never mind then. Thought the bolt action was level 1 since it's before the semi auto in the loadout screen.

Unlocking the bolt action and the Gambler back to back...That's a little overkill.

For some reason the loadout screen doesn't list them in order. It's confusing.

haven't posted in this thread, but have followed this game, grabbed the third from the bottom from Keyzer, thanks! Looking forward to checking it out with you guys

Sirius

STORY

In 2032 a newly built Hadron Supercollider imploded, obliterating Australia.

lol.gif
Now I'm intrigued! Looking forward to the positron-enriched mutant arachnids caught between the interdimensional rifts... and a bogan Hulk ;P

So the Variant will spawn from Down Under, .. no-one will see them coming..

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh holy crap Hi Jackson. I bought two copies of Scribblenauts!

Wow, are there any more codes? I'd love to get in!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks so much!

edit: Played for like a half hour last night, holy balls it's a blast! It's so rare to see a game like this that's actually got some novel gameplay ideas.

Is anyone else's XP not getting saved after matches. I've leveled up to seven three times now.
The game is incredibly fun though!
Even though I'm terrible at it so far...

Blunt

Banned
Begging for a code?

I sure am!

edit: There was one super secret code left. Thanks Keyser, downloading now.

El Sloth

Banned
Fffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Just met a level 42 variant that had a teleport ability. That shit is cray.

Hey, Jackson, are there plans to have faction specific abilities and specs?

totowhoa

Banned
Just got the rocket launcher. I'm no good with it so far, and ive only seen one person use it before, and I was getting wiped out by it.

Really starting to enjoy swarm + high impact rounds + cool down bonus. A few questions about the swarm if anybody can answer

1) Does the high impact round bonus work after you fire it? I tend to do that and initiate the ability just before impact to gain an extra second or two of use, but I'm not sure if the bonus will affect a mid air shot.

2) Does it seem to do more damage the closer the opponent is to the center of the blast? Landing a direct hit seems to do more, but I'm not sure if the area damage gradates or not.

3) The swarm will damage an enemy behind a barrier. However, in the generator there is that spot where there are points of cover above and below one another... When below, I've been firing on enemies in the center, and they have fled to the platform above me. I've tried to kill them with the swarm through the floor with no success yet. Anybody know if it only goes through barriers and not floors/walls? So far that's the only place where it would be useful that ive found.

Sometimes I fire and never see my shot burst into it's area spread... Not sure if it's just a bug or something I'm doing somehow

VariantX

Fffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Just met a level 42 variant that had a teleport ability. That shit is cray.

Hey, Jackson, are there plans to have faction specific abilities and specs?

Say what? Im not looking forward to running into that guy at all lol. Im wondering iss there a complete list of abilities up somewhere on the net I can take a peek at to see what I have to look forward to?

Top Bottom