• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 3DS to get right analog stick dongle, relaunch 2012 w/ new name [Updated]

Angry Fork

Fantastical said:
Says who? A vocal minority on GAF? If anything, touch gaming has gotten more popular with the DS and iPhone.
For casual gamers sure. Vita and 3DS aren't competing with iphone stuff though. They simply can't compete. Casual gamers don't care about depth in games and will spend 1-2 bucks on weak stuff for 15 min a day. 3DS and Vita are in their own league and competing against each other no more no less.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Andrex said:
I think horror in 3D is a great prospect, personally. And Revelations doesn't seem hampered by the lacking analog stick at all.
Yeah, it really isn't. It controls exactly like RE4 does.

For what it's worth - and this may surprise some people - I actually do think Vita is a better product than 3DS in almost every respect, save size and form factor. My skepticism about the platform is entirely based on my concerns about its commercial viability and third party support, not the hardware.

ShockingAlberto said:

1UP is describing this as a "report" in their headline, not a rumor. :/

Boney said:
Can we turn this thread into a 60's spiderman thread like ZOE?

fuck top page

tumblr_livj0oI4f31qen3q5o1_500.png

Boney

Banned

KAL2006

Banned
GeekyDad said:
There's an "extreme importance for a 2nd stick"? I don't feel the need for one at all, let alone an "extreme" need for one. And I don't think Nintendo have recognized anything, including this thread. But I'm sure they'll have a good chuckle about the rumors once it hits their offices.
What nearly every game i played this gen benefitted from dual analogs

Batmam
Assassins crred
Red dead
Cod
Uncharted
Mass effect
Geometry wars
Infamous

I can go on forever

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Father_Brain said:
For what it's worth - and this may surprise some people - I actually do think Vita is a better product than 3DS in almost every respect, save size and form factor. My skepticism about the platform is entirely based on my concerns about its commercial viability and third party support, not the hardware.

The Vita is handsome hardware to be sure, but that didn't help the PSP. I also hope the Vita isn't as fragile as the PSP was.

PortTwo said:
Sorry for the response to a page 1 post, but... it appears some of you have seen the light.

It's NEVER worth it Day 1, of a new console. No matter how excited you are for it.

As for this rumour: I find it highly unlikely. If it is true, it's one of the biggest admissions of platform design failure in videogame history.

Fuck that, I've never bought a day one console/handheld that I've regretted and I'm not gonna stop now.

Lindsay said:
Hasn't MotionPlus been packed in with the system for over a year? How can ya say its not the standard controller now? Its standard by way of being packed in and the only model sold. Just cause its full functionality isn't always used doesn't make it non-standard. Just look at all the PS3 games that don't use sixaxis & analog buttons & rumble!

Okay, so "MotionPlus controls didn't become standard" would have been better wording. The point still stands.

Epcott

This sounds like such bullshit.

Hmm, but then again, I thought the early price drop was bs too, until it was announced.
Still a stupid idea. Just release more games, and not just oversaturate with 3Dmakes. It's not rocket science.

If this turns out to be true I will feel burned on my Day 1 purchase (didn't mind the price drop) but I will continue to buy Nintendo consoles Day 1.

Angry Fork

hardcastle_mccormick said:
Funnily enough I never touched the second analog stick in Resident Evil 4 or 5. Mercs didn't need it, and Revolutions controls great without it. Bad example.

"Didn't need it" is irrelevant, it would be better with it. You're really trying to suggest a 2nd analog stick isn't needed for modern 1st/3rd person games? Come on now.

Ever heard of subjectivity?

Additionally, more power, control options and features don't always make a better platform. The implementation and uptake of these features are what matters.

Vita has everything 3DS has except 3D (and Nintendo's 1st party obviously). There is no subjectivity unless you love 3D that much, Vita is the better device technologically speaking.

Sennorin

Banned
RandomVince said:
Truly this is the carnival of stupid.

Gaming press and rumour mill is depressing these days.

It certainly is. And Gamepro will, yet again, have to apologize to Nintendo, right after having had to apologize for stating that Skyward Sword would be a Wii U-title.

Huff

Banned
Not that I believe this is real, but I would be a bit up set if it was. Especially if the n3wDS is required to play newly released games rather than just being an option for better controls.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Angry Fork said:
Vita has everything 3DS has except 3D (and Nintendo's 1st party obviously). There is no subjectivity unless you love 3D that much, Vita is the better device technologically speaking.

Second screen, also, which is quite important for some games.

M3d10n

Yeah, that site really jumped the shark now. Nevermind the fact the 3DS has no data ports whatsoever where such attachment could be plugged on and that the slide pad takes an enormous amount of space in the PCB leaving no room for another one unless they make it ultra thick: that Nintendo would go through such massive jeopardy for the sake of a 2nd analog stick is the most ridiculous thing I have read in the past week.

jman2050

Hey remember when we liked systems based on what games were on it?

Also remember when we were allowed to like more than one system without having to take an extreme one-or-the-other stance?

Yagharek

charlequin said:
It's probably the part where the rumor is completely implausible.

This response made me laugh.

jman2050 said:

Also remember when we were allowed to like more than one system without having to take an extreme one-or-the-other stance?

No damn you. It is success or oblivion. No middle ground. No fence sitters. Death or glory.

Boney

Banned
hardcastle_mccormick said:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/newsfeed/000/110/230/tumblr_livj0oI4f31qen3q5o1_500.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
gonna need clearance first, not in the mood for vacations.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Sorry to destroy your dreams but thats not happwning mainly because releasong ps2 classics would make sony lose sales on vita games many peoe would rather buy devil may cry 3 over a game like shinobido 2 for vita so releasing a ps2 classocs line will make a barrage of games come out without each getting enough press and attentian i think they would rather re release games similar to mgs3d on 3ds

That decission would be in Konami and co's hands though - they don't want to damage MGS3D sales? Wait until it's been released and then release it with Vita BC. I don't see the problem - if someone wants to play MGS3 on the PS3 right now they can, it's a rerelease in 3D for the 3DS. Surely that's selling to a different crowd ?

Just control the releases - what affect is GT4 going to have at launch for instance? there's no GT game and likely won't be for 4 years - it plugs a gap and gets people excited for a "real" GT game.

Anyways, this is too much Vita talk for a 3DS rumour thread - so will leave it there. I think it's happening for Vita - i fully expect PS2 downloads in 2012. Exactly what games get turned out is another question

Gravijah

jman2050 said:

did we stop doing that or something?

Keyouta

I really can't see them building a "3DS" model that adds in a second analog and changes the name. And then come out with an accessory circle nub to add on to current 3DS consoles (which there's no port for an add on anyway).

Seriously, if you are going that far, why not scrap the 3DS and build a new system altogether? Releasing a new 3DS next year with a different name and look would confuse consumers further. What, will existing 3DS titles work on it? It has a new name, so the box art is going to change, and then it will seem like a new platform. Would all the boxes have to say "also compatible with 3DS"? Will existing 3DS titles come out in reprints with the new name on the boxes?

It's too much work for Nintendo: new marketing campaign, it will alienate older consumers too, so they'd have to do something crazy to get them back. They'd be better off calling the 3DS dead, and announcing a new platform.

Anyway, I don't believe it, and I'm calling this information/rumor false.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot Miyamoto said they'd fooled with a second analog stick, but scapped it due to the gyrosensor being much better. Something like that, anyhow. You chose the design and appeal of the 3DS, Nintendo. Stick with it.

Angry Fork said:
"Didn't need it" is irrelevant, it would be better with it. You're really trying to suggest a 2nd analog stick isn't needed for modern 3rd person games? Come on now.

I'm saying that Resident Evil doesn't need a second analog stick. And plenty of other games too. I can't remember the last time I shed a tear about it.

But I'm one of those people who think that the touch screen can function just fine as a simple camera control, so yennow.

Angry Fork said:

I rank systems based on software, not hardware. You can say the Xbox was better than the PS2 in every way, but it doesn't matter because the software was a violent ratio it wasn't even funny.

In such, the Vita features won't matter until the games are made to support them. And if the games are going to be delightful console ports like you claim, then what use are they? They'll be no better than Twilight Princess waggle.

I still don't see why anyone would buy a Vita in your world of PS3 ports. But I don't actually think that will be the case; many Vita games look like engaging portable experiences.

Boney

Banned
Angry Fork said:
"Didn't need it" is irrelevant, it would be better with it. You're really trying to suggest a 2nd analog stick isn't needed for modern 1st/3rd person games? Come on now.
I'm just trying to understand why you think this are gonna be the lifesource of the current handheld generation.

And not say.. traditional handheld genres.

Gravijah

jman2050 said:
Sure seems that way a lot of the time.

it's not anything new, though. snes vs genesis. ps1 vs n64. ps2 vs gamecube. nes vs those other systems your mom bought you and fuck you mom.

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
it's not anything new, though. snes vs genesis. ps1 vs n64. ps2 vs gamecube. nes vs those other systems your mom bought you and fuck you mom.
fuck my mom, she hid my power adapter and had to go look for it at the storage house.

KAL2006

Banned
jman2050 said:

Just because people like games doesnt mean the hardware is nice i like games on wii but hate the hardware i like galaxy but wished it was in hd i liked twilight princess but wished there was no waggle it seems the last decent hardware nintendo has made was ds since then they jave sucked

jman2050

Gravijah said:

At least then it was "Sonic is way cooler than that kiddy Mario game" or "my version of Mortal Kombat has BLOOD" and not "my system has more buttons than yours!"

VanMardigan said:
Hey buddy, that system's already on store shelves. How hard is it to move the slider down?

Once I found out that the 3DS applies some anti aliasing when you go into 2D mode I can't decide which I like more.

KAL2006 said:
Just because people like games doesnt mean the hardware is nice i like games on wii but hate the hardware i like galaxy but wished it was in hd i liked twilight princess but wished there was no waggle it seems the last decent hardware nintendo has made was ds since then they jave sucked

I find the Sony fans' delight in the insane input options about as frothing mad as the hype for the Wii was.

M3d10n

Thinking again, this seriously reeks of astroturfing.

I mean, how convenient is it for this news to come up right after Nintendo is supposedly getting some wind back on its sails after the price cut?

StuBurns

Banned
VanMardigan said:
Hey buddy, that system's already on store shelves. How hard is it to move the slider down?
He finds the slider objectionable clearly.

Maybe the novelty will wear off, but I'm still blown away by the 3D, it's such a huge improvement over the slider down.

dream

hah, wow. I just saw a UK commercial with the slogan "this is not DS, this is 3DS." I can't wait until they change that to "this is not 3DS, this is 3DS with an additional analog stick."

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Tomasooie said:
Does the 3DS even have an expansion port for this type of peripheral?
Nope, which is why it's so unrealistic.

If the thing had a GBA port like the DS had then maybe we could entertain the thought.

rpmurphy

Lindsay said:
People that like easy camera control maybe?? Also people that love twin-stick shooters.
You know what would be better than an analog stick for camera control? Not needing to mess with the camera in the first place so you don't have to take your thumb off of the buttons and stop the gameplay. D-pad, touchscreen, analog stick -- all of them are poor implementations of camera control.

Top Bottom