• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2011)

Right now I'm reading a japanese light novel. It's much better than the anime.

shakugan-no-shana-fight-day-yashichiro-takahashi-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

Kosh

Finished up Six Frigates.

If you have any interest in early American History, I can't recommend this book enough. The naval battles are written well and are pretty exciting to read.

Burger

Fjordson said:
Damn. I'm enjoying the hell out of Retribution Falls. Tearing through it at the moment and I already have the second book waiting on my Kindle.

On the other hand, I couldn't finish the first Mistborn novel out of general distaste for Sanderson's writing style, so what do I know.

Strange. Different strokes for different folks I guess. One thing that annoyed me about it was this, which I shamelessly stole from an Amazon review:

"His treatment of women in the novel is shocking in this day and age. Women are described as either stupid, or whores, or as stupid whores. No one is spared. A drippy 'sex starved nymph' in a convent, instantly forgotten, a woman described as 'whore like' for wearing red lipstick and cutting her hair, and even the female crewmember 'does some very filthy things' to later move the plot along. If he wants to rip off Firefly so be it, but that series can be commended for its excellent female characters who don't resort to sex or fawning over unsuitable males to get ahead or even get noticed."

I whipped through the first Mistborn book in less than a week, whereas I'd been trying to read Falls for over a month. Glad I dropped it.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Finished 'Brave New World' yesterday. About to start this:

5sBt4.jpg

btw, regarding Brave New World...

mac said:
I suppose because the only "good" figure in Brave New World has maybe 20 lines in the entire book and is barely seen.
out of curiosity, who are you referring to?

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
demon said:
out of curiosity, who are you referring to?
He might be referring to Helmholtz Watson - the only character in the book who can fully appreciate the creative process and see through the meaninglessness of his world.

Larsa

Just finished John Dies at the End which was just an entertaining-ass book.

About to start:
BwvfV.jpg

Have been looking forward to this for over a year now so I'm a little scared to start it.

Orcastar

ZG5BS.jpg

Around a hundred pages in at the moment and Sir Terry's still got it. Hope he still has a few left in him after this one...

I've got about 200 pages left on A Storm of Swords. I should have it done by the end of the week.

Dear God, it's fucking CRAZY. But in a good way. The Jon/Sam chapters are a bit meh, but everything else is pure gold.

way more

Mgoblue201 said:
He might be referring to Helmholtz Watson - the only character in the book who can fully appreciate the creative process and see through the meaninglessness of his world.

That would be it. In 1984 that type of character was made the lead but in Brave New he gets pushed to the sides.

I'm about half way though Handmaid's Tale and, not to be crass, but it is a bit more "womanly" in writing. The author really doesn't concern herself with world building and that. It's more a focus on the day to day horrors.

ultron87

Hero+of+Ages.jpg

I'm slightly more than 50 percent through the 3rd Mistborn book. It is already waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the second one.

Some stuff I've really enjoyed so far:
- All the Hemalurgy stuff is quite cool. I like how Spook got Pewter entirely by accident.
- The voices in people's heads were Ruin all along! Or at least Reen's voice in Vin's head was. I can only assume that the voice in Zane's head and the "Kelsier" talking to Spook are the same.
- I'm very interested in how this Preservation thing that keeps getting mentioned in the chapter intros is going to come into play.

Also, a Mistborn game using something like the Assassin's Creed engine would be freaking amazing.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
CormacMcCarthy_BloodMeridian.jpg

200 pages in and this is already one of the best books I've ever read. The imagery is so powerful, the story so fucking crazy and bizarre that I can't help but love it.

Pretty difficult read, though (I have to allow every single word to really sink in).

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
ultron87 said:
Hero+of+Ages.jpg

I'm slightly more than 50 percent through the 3rd Mistborn book. It is already waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the second one.

Some stuff I've really enjoyed so far:
- All the Hemalurgy stuff is quite cool. I like how Spook got Pewter entirely by accident.
- The voices in people's heads were Ruin all along! Or at least Reen's voice in Vin's head was. I can only assume that the voice in Zane's head and the "Kelsier" talking to Spook are the same.
- I'm very interested in how this Preservation thing that keeps getting mentioned in the chapter intros is going to come into play.

Also, a Mistborn game using something like the Assassin's Creed engine would be freaking amazing.
I don't remember if it was the second or third book, but the part where Vin does a super jump and splits Straff Venture in half was one of the coolest things I've ever read.

November thread is up ...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32308783#post32308783

mac said:
I'm about half way though Handmaid's Tale and, not to be crass, but it is a bit more "womanly" in writing. The author really doesn't concern herself with world building and that. It's more a focus on the day to day horrors.
If I recall correctly, I thought that was the whole point. Women were nothing more but slaves/cattle to men. If you wan't more of a well defined PA world written by Atwood I recommend Orxy and Crake or The Year of the Flood.

Top Bottom