• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2011)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
My thoughts on Four Fish: The Future of the Last Wild Food:

51oBJQMtC7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Amazon description said:
Writer and life-long fisherman Paul Greenberg takes us on a journey, examining the four fish that dominate our menus: salmon, sea bass, cod, and tuna. Investigating the forces that get fish to our dinner tables, Greenberg reveals our damaged relationship with the ocean and its inhabitants. Just three decades ago, nearly everything we ate from the sea was wild. Today, rampant overfishing and an unprecedented biotech revolution have brought us to a point where wild and farmed fish occupy equal parts of a complex marketplace. Four Fish offers a way for us to move toward a future in which healthy and sustainable seafood is the rule rather than the exception.

Short version: I’d give this book an 8/10. It provided a very good overview of the state of wild fisheries and fish farms through the eyes of someone who genuinely cares about fish and fishing. After reading Bottomfeeder, I was wary that it may cover a lot of similar terrain, but this actually provided an interesting and thought-provoking perspective about how people view fish. There were some really intriguing insights here. For example, salmon was perceived to be a luxury item, brought down to the masses. Cod was perceived to be a workman, an everyday staple, until one day, it wasn’t. Bluefin tuna was perceived to the pinnacle of evolution, and subduing it via modern fishing technology represented man’s triumph over nature.

The conclusions are excellent and well-thought out; Greenberg argued that we need both new management strategies for wild fisheries and new developments in fish farms if we are to continue to rely on fish as a source of protein. In the realm of aquaculture, one of the most important arguments he made was that we need to devote our energies to raise fish species that are actually amenable to being farmed. Rationality dictates that farmed fish species should tolerate containment, net us surplus protein (we get more than we put in), are hardy, easy to maintain, and can breed freely without fuss.

The kicker is that all four main fish species in the book are actually terrible candidates for sustaining the world. Our appetite, stemming from culture and circumstance, is in reality terribly irrational. Salmon is just about the hardest, most annoying thing to farm; sea bass is no better. Bluefin tuna was considered not fit for cats to the Japanese a few generations ago; now they are almost extinct due to rabid and insatiable demand because it could be frozen at sea. Cod was the staple of nations not because of its taste or nutrition, but for its abundance, low cost, and extraordinary blandness. They have fared extremely poorly in a world of tremendous seafood demand, and farmed salmon and cod along with ranched bluefin are not solutions to anything.

Greenberg looks at more sensible alternatives that cater to our irrational tastes. Instead of cod, tra (the Vietnamese catfish) and tilapia provide the same white bland meat (there are concerns about how Asian fish farms raise them, unfortunately not covered in the book.) Instead of sea bass, farmed barramundi from Australia. Instead of bluefin tuna, he looks at farmed kahala from Hawaii. They are by no means the most sustainable choices, but they are better than what they replace.

There are weaknesses in the earlier portions of the book. It’s definitely a personal preference thing, but I found it difficult to relate to his personal history about why fishing meant a lot to him. The Sea Bass section also really laboured to draw me in as a reader; perhaps because the history of sea bass pales in comparison to epic and tragic histories of the salmon, cod, and tuna fisheries. But towards the end of the chapter, he really grabbed my attention again and kept it throughout the rest of the book.

Overall, similar to Bottomfeeder, I would recommend this book both for someone who’s just learning about the issues and for those who are already pretty knowledgeable about the plight of the oceans and are seeking to understand finned fish aquaculture. I really enjoyed its structured format, going from one main species of focus to another; that aspect made it easy to follow and ideal to quick pickup and read sessions.

Mumei

I like your reviews, BorkBork. Wish I had more to add than that!

For my own updates:

I finished the last book of the Mistborn trilogy, The Hero of Ages. I had heard that it does a great job tying together loose ends and answering lingering questions, and I wasn't disappointed. That was really, really great. I think it might retroactively raise my opinion of the series as a whole.

I have started reading The Mikado, which I picked up for ~$.40 not knowing what it was. I've since learned that it was an operetta, so I've been listening to it on Youtube while reading along to try to get the effect. It shouldn't take long to finish, seeing as how it is barely 60 pages.

After that, I am unsure what I should do next. I have a lot of options, so I might just ask GAF's advice.

Purchased the Kindle deal of the day book since it seems decent for light reading.

The Grove - $1.99

Book Description: In this gritty noir novel, John Rector weaves an intensely sinister tale. Dexter McCray is a farmer with a dark past that continues to haunt him. As a man struggling with alcoholism, he’s used to being looked at with pity and suspicion in his community. So, after waking from a blackout to discover the body of a teenage girl in the nearby cottonwood grove, he can't be entirely sure he's innocent. With no memory of the previous night, he sees no choice but to investigate the crime himself.

Reading A Fire Upon the Deep really feverishly.
a+fire+upon+the+deep.jpg

That said it's a lot like Rainbow's End. Vinge is an incredible ideas guy but a somewhat mediocre writer.

Ashes

Banned
I've been reading short stories all summer. Too long to list here, see the gaf summer thread goal post, here. And I have now come to an end. Glad that's over though. On to new stuff.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
My thoughts on the audiobook version of Changing Planes by Ursula K. LeGuin, narrated by Gabrielle De Cuir:

51G5CV9EMNL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Short version: I’d give it a 9/10. It’s been in circulation in my audiobook collection ever since I got it on a whim two years ago. I just had a recent re-read of the novel itself so I thought I would share.

The book is a series of short stories, stitched together on the premise that one can travel through different dimensions by “changing planes” at the airport. More than any of her books, this collection provides a glimpse of Le Guin’s humour. The stories generally have a sense of incompleteness to them, but I mean that in a positive way; they’re vignettes that provide brief windows into different cultures and different possibilities of being and living. They provide just enough of a taste to pique one’s interest and provokes one’s thoughts before moving on. The descriptions of each short is taken from wikipedia. I added my comments and ratings after each one:
"Porridge on Islac"
About a society which has taken genetic engineering to extremes. This story features a woman whose genome is partly corn.

It’s a standard cautionary tale abut the perils of uncontrolled genetic engineering, but with a bit more emotional heft delivered by the narrator - 4/5.

"The Silence of the Asonu"
About a people who do not speak as adults and the visitors from Earth who seek meaning in their silence and their rare utterances.

A delightful thought experiment of how such a society would function, and a hilarious example of how fanatics attempt to find meaning in ANYTHING - 5/5

"Feeling at Home with the Hennebet"
About a people whose society is based on a concept of "living multiple lives", which is never completely explained.

A charming and confusing tale of metaphysics that made me chuckle on more than one occasion - 5/5

"The Ire of the Veksi"
About a culture of people who are angry most of the time, and its ramifications, such as sulking, war, distrust.

I personally didn’t get a lot out of this one, there was too much description of a culture that wasn’t very interesting in the first place - 2/5

"Seasons of the Ansarac"
About a planet with very long years (26 Earth years) within each of which its people migrate to and from the mountains in the north; based on the migration patterns of ospreys.

One of the longest shorts in the collection; a beautifully written and slightly melancholy story about a people that transition between two very different styles of living throughout their lives - 5/5

"Social Dreaming of the Frin"
About a society where dreams are shared telepathically and the unconscious is the collective unconscious.

Briefly delves into shared dreaming on a societal level with some intriguing implications - 4/5

"The Royals of Hegn"
About a country where almost everyone is royalty, and the one family of commoners is treated as celebrities.

The dud of the collection, in which the central gimmick (the commoner are celebrities) is way overplayed - 2/5

"Woeful Tales from Mahigul"
Includes four tales: "Dawodow the Innumerable", about a narcissistic and tyrannical emperor who both loved and hated himself; "The Cleansing of Obtry", about a region marked by religious conflict; "The Black Dog", that tells the story of a mysterious black dog that drove two tribes into mayhem; and "The War for the Alon", about two city-states that destroyed themselves over a small piece of land each claimed by divine right

Tales within tales of the same world. It’s a mish-mash of stories that occasionally work, but more often not. Dawodow is the most successful of the bunch, just because of its brevity - 2/5

"Great Joy"
About a plane that has been turned into a collection of holiday-themed resorts by an Earth-based corporation.

The most blatantly didactic story, exploring the consequences of consumerism and exploitation. It’s still quite funny and enjoyable though. 3/5

"Wake Island"
About a population of people genetically engineered not to need sleep, who never fully achieve consciousness.

An excellent and chilling tale about the function of dreams. Tremendously successful - 5/5

"The Nna Mmoy Language"
About the complexities of language in a world where every living thing unnecessary to human life has been removed. These people have replaced biodiversity with language.

My personal favorite short of the series. The originality of the described language is really intriguing - 5/5

"The Building"
About a global society which is organized around the endless construction of a building. These nomads invest tremendous resources creating an uninhabited, labyrinthine castle.

A mysterious story about a people with urges that have very few answers - 4/5

"The Fliers of Gy"
About a plane of feathered people, a few of whom develop wings and yet such happening is considered a misfortune, and the wings a handicap.

Another beautifully narrated and written story about a culture’s perception of flight - 4/5

"The Island of the Immortals"
About a visit to an island that is said to be inhabited by immortals.

My second favorite short is a tragic and haunting anti-immortality tale -5/5

"Confusions of Uñi"
About a plane where reality seems to shift unpredictably.

If you can handle the random bizarreness, this one is a fun ride- 3/5

Overall, I would recommend this book if you are interested in WHAT IFs', and are not going in looking for depth or development. It’s a light humourous read, but also weighty enough to stimulate thought processes about some pretty deep issues. As usual, Le Guin’s language is simple, sparse, but evocative; words are chosen deliberately and the stories sound lyrical when narrated with the dreamy ethereal voice of De Cuir. The highs definitely outweigh the lows.

hunter7725 said:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-kwFHO5l0HMg/TYs3bNJqiJI/AAAAAAAAEiw/OgTSrm7rHg4/s1600/heart-shaped-box.jpg
Great book.

I'm reading:

LrZUF.gif

Not too far into it. Well written and interesting, will post full thoughts when I finish.

ultron87

At third of the way through the first Mistborn book.

34725535.JPG

Quite enjoyable so far.

Though I think I might be even more intrigued by the text that opens each chapter than by the actual story.

The allomancy powers are a cool take on a magic system.

I started and finished Peter Watts' Rifter series last week. Overall I had mixed feelings because I really liked the first book Starfish and the rest not quite as much.

He's made his books available for free under the Creative Commons license, and the format of a really tall window of text possibly suits his style better than actual book form because, in a way, the constant scrolling downwards could be seen as a metaphor for dropping into an abyss with no bottom in sight. It's a bit of a downer, haha.

Here are the links:
Starfish
Maelstrom
Behemoth

He's been compared to Greg Egan, but his writing remind me more like the late John Brunner. I should probably say something about the story, but I think the story is ancillary to the themes of loss of "humanity", manufactured identities, and artificial life.

Mumei

I've finished Yasunari Kawabata's Snow Country and W.S. Gilbert's The Mikado. I don't really know what to say about Snow Country. I liked it, but I'm just not sure how much. I knew that it was going to be very spare and I had heard it compared to a haiku in its use of suggestion numerous times. It also does have a very lonely atmosphere to it. I also read some complaints about the translation being overly dry, but I have no way of knowing if that is true. I liked it, but perhaps I'll like it more on a second reading or a different translation.

The Mikado is a short operetta from the late 19th century that is a "lighthearted burlesque of Victorian English culture and the vagaries of love, set in a fanciful (and wholly imaginary) Japanese society." Without getting most of the satire, it's still really quite funny and I'm glad I got it.

umop_3pisdn said:
How did you like this one? Hermann Hesse is probably my favorite author, and largely for thematic reasons. In an ideal situation I tend to see storytelling as primarily a means of conveying something greater. For example: if storytelling is ideal for simulating or acting as analogue for experience, then ideally a story may give us some added insight into our own experience. I suppose that's obviously a common ideal, the strongest examples of which being the kind of books that "change people's perspectives about the world", etc. I find Hesse's work has some appreciable aptitude for this. It all seems to deal in basically how to become "whole people", which as a suggestion seems almost universally appropriate and lacking in our daily lives.

I really liked it. I'm currently dog-sitting for a couple who are vacationing in Europe, and while I was having dinner at their house it somehow came up that I was reading Siddhartha. The wife lit up at that, since she said she'd read it when she was much younger and had gone back to it periodically and found that her experiences changed how she viewed it, and she really loved how she could come back to it and find the book different from how she viewed it before.

I liked the book the most when I saw myself in something a character was experiencing. As a matter of the plot, I was somewhat less enamored by it, since it seemed as though Siddhartha was rather... suggestible and seemed to almost drift along with one part of his life until something snapped and he uprooted and completely changed his philosophy. I found something interesting at each of his life stages, but his shifts (and his conclusions) were something I found incomprehensibly alien.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
So has anyone here read this? Thoughts?

R9mo5.jpg

My father's had it on his bookshelf since before I was born and is re-reading it. He recommended it to me and while it looks pretty interesting, also looks kind of intimidating.

Dresden

Almost done with White-Luck Warrior - this is the finest fantasy novel released in the last ten years. Of the ones I've read, anyways.

When I get a significant chunk of free time:

RevelationSpace.jpg

I'm not sure how well known this author is but my friend recommended as "life-changing" so I'm pretty stoked on it...so far it's been awesome.

When I have less time, I get a short story in...

Lovecraft_Tales-707419.jpg

...though I'm currently on "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" which is the longest thing he ever wrote if I'm not mistaken :/

Toby

ElectricBlue187 said:
Reading A Fire Upon the Deep really feverishly.

That said it's a lot like Rainbow's End. Vinge is an incredible ideas guy but a somewhat mediocre writer.
Loved it, was great reading it on my cruise, and it's about time for a re-read. Didn't find Rainbow's End near as enjoyable though, I couldn't finish it.
Have fun with it. Try A Deepness in the Sky if you haven't already.

balddemon

Banned
The Facebook Effect by David Kirkpatrick - it's an alright read. I like to read about famous people and their lives, and this tells a lot about Zuckerburg's business/personal life while he was creating Facebook.

The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie - Basically there's a war going on and the book is written from both perspectives. The society is all about killing and being manly and shit like that. Pretty good, but since there aren't numbered chapters, it's becoming hard for me to split my time between it and the facebook effect...

Mumei

I've finished Contact. I found it much, much more satisfying than the movie.

Edit: I neglected to mention what I've started: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I read all of the other Murakami books I own (which is everything sans The Elephant Vanishes, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, After the Quake, and those pre-A Wild Sheep Chase books) years ago, but I was feeling a bit burned out on Murakami by the time I started Wind-Up, so I only read the first third of it before moving on to something else.

Now that I've had some breathing room, I'm going to read it in anticipation of 1Q84. :D

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Mumei said:
I've finished Contact. I found it much, much more satisfying than the movie.

Edit: I neglected to mention what I've started: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I read all of the other Murakami books I own (which is everything sans The Elephant Vanishes, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, After the Quake, and those pre-A Wild Sheep Chase books) years ago, but I was feeling a bit burned out on Murakami by the time I started Wind-Up, so I only read the first third of it before moving on to something else.

Now that I've had some breathing room, I'm going to read it in anticipation of 1Q84. :D

Contact the movie is great.

Contact the book is fantastic.

ourumov

Finished Burrough's Junky in 3 days and then jumped to Heller's Catch-22. Good book so far.
Is it worth reading Kerouac?

Mumei

Karakand said:

I apologize for being so uncultured. :)

I was looking it up after buying it, and it was a very popular operetta in its heyday. There are probably a lot of otherwise well-known plays, operas, and operettas I haven't heard of.

I did really enjoy watching / reading it, though.

kinn

Secks4Food said:

RevelationSpace.jpg

I'm not sure how well known this author is but my friend recommended as "life-changing" so I'm pretty stoked on it...so far it's been awesome.

Its a great read. All his books are. Enjoy!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Finished

0575075139.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

also know as

13lg.jpg

I can't remember last time I cried reading the book but this book managed to make me do it. Not an easy read even though it goes under "action sci-fi" label.

thomaser

demon said:
So has anyone here read this? Thoughts?

R9mo5.jpg

My father's had it on his bookshelf since before I was born and is re-reading it. He recommended it to me and while it looks pretty interesting, also looks kind of intimidating.

It's very fascinating and strange, and it makes you feel real smart if you can follow it. It's like your mind expands a little with every page. Most people won't get any real use out of it unless they work with programming or statistics, but it's fascinating enough to deserve a look. I love how fairly difficult concepts are made understandable with koans, silly stories and musical notes.

Dresden

subversus said:
I can't remember last time I cried reading the book but this book managed to make me do it. Not an easy read even though it goes under "action sci-fi" label.
The last third of the book
with Sev
always gets me.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I finally finished A Clash of Kings after reading it off and on, along with some other stuff, for about 2 months. I read the first book several years ago and forgot everything, but the show rekindled my interest.

balddemon said:
The Facebook Effect by David Kirkpatrick - it's an alright read. I like to read about famous people and their lives, and this tells a lot about Zuckerburg's business/personal life while he was creating Facebook.

The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie - Basically there's a war going on and the book is written from both perspectives. The society is all about killing and being manly and shit like that. Pretty good, but since there aren't numbered chapters, it's becoming hard for me to split my time between it and the facebook effect...

While Abercrombie's First Law trilogy isn't required reading before you tackle The Heroes, it is a great series and gives you a view of the world that the battle occurs in (as well as backgrond on a few of the characters). Abercrombie is my favorite "modern" fantasy author. The dude does not pull his punches.

Dresden

Finished White Luck Warrior.

It's the best fantasy novel I've ever read. The cool thing is that I trust the author to top himself with the next book, as well.

Dresden said:
Finished White Luck Warrior.

It's the best fantasy novel I've ever read. The cool thing is that I trust the author to top himself with the next book, as well.

Is that book 2 in the Aspect Emperor series? How was book 1?

Secks4Food said:

RevelationSpace.jpg

Just started on this one. I expect greatness.

Also finished this earlier:

51p-IG8fT0L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I enjoyed the previous Halo books. This one... not so much. It's just boring and fails to get me interested in the Forerunners. I want Covenant and SPARTANs in my Halo please.

Dresden

Cyan said:
Man. I'd love to see what else that story's got in store, but I promised myself I'd never read that author again.
Yeah, they're hard sells for sure, due to how... inaccessible the series can be. Lol. He's a better writer than he was, though. And more restrained, at least regarding some of the more unsavory details that people were fretting about. I think I'm going to tone down the BEST FANTASY EVER praise, but it's still one of the best that I've ever read, and there's this sure assurance that he knows what he's doing. The latest book is certainly the best epic fantasy I've read.

Karakand

Mumei said:
I apologize for being so uncultured. :)

I was looking it up after buying it, and it was a very popular operetta in its heyday. There are probably a lot of otherwise well-known plays, operas, and operettas I haven't heard of.

I did really enjoy watching / reading it, though.
smh @ reading an operetta not not knowing about it (though i wouldn't throw that information out in mixed company)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Finished reading Behemoth (I posted that in the last thread). Now I can't decide if I want to read something else right now or if I'm gonna wait till the 20th for the 3rd and final book in the trilogy to hit. IDK....

Might just wait it out and pick up the latest copy of the Bleach Manga in the mean time.

Woorloog

Banned
Currently reading The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin. Lack of descriptions is a bit jarring but then that's pretty normal for first person narratives in my experience. Interesting so far though.
Afterwards i think i'll be reading The Way of Kings (by Brandon Sanderson) for third time. One of the best books i've ever read i think. Annoyed that the final Wheel of Time book will come next year and that means second book of Stormlight Archive will come out in 13 earliest probably.

cory021

Neo Member
I've been reading a Song of Ice and Fire since summer started, just about 1/4 the way through the Dance with Dragons. Once I'm done with that, I'm planning on re-reading the Harry Potter series again (I've only read the 7th book once, and I figure it's been long enough for a re-read). Then I plan on reading the Eragon books again.

Woorloog said:
Currently reading The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin. Lack of descriptions is a bit jarring but then that's pretty normal for first person narratives in my experience. Interesting so far though.
Afterwards i think i'll be reading The Way of Kings (by Brandon Sanderson) for third time. One of the best books i've ever read i think. Annoyed that the final Wheel of Time book will come next year and that means second book of Stormlight Archive will come out in 13 earliest probably.

It wasn't the lack of descriptions that turned me off of that book but the voice of the character. The amount of heavy-handed foreshadowing she uses plus her tone annoyed me enough to put the book down. I was disappointed because I really wanted to like the book based on the subject and setting.

Mumei

Karakand said:
smh @ reading an operetta not not knowing about it (though i wouldn't throw that information out in mixed company)

There's no pleasing you!

I'm about 80 pages out from finishing The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I think I might read something non-fiction next, since I've read so much fiction recently. I have much less in the way of options on that front, though. I did see a book on Chinese history at Borders (though given their current state, it could well be gone now) called The Search for Modern China that looked promising. And I have one of the books in the Penguin series on the history of the church (aptly titled The Early Church. Or maybe Isaiah Berlin's Russian Thinkers. I read excerpts for a class (Russian politics, naturally), but I've never read the whole thing.

I don't know. I have some other options, too. Or I might just read more fiction.

Top Bottom