• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2012)

Orujv.jpg

Visit the January GAF Book Club thread! The book this month is Catch 22

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

GAF Recommends!

History Books
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Post-apocalpytic Books
Books of 2010
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Lengthy Books
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Books
Summer Reading
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Fantasy Recommendations
Scary Books
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Blogs
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Taking a break from The Deathgate Cycle and reading Mean Genes.

As a random aside, has anyone here read Days of War Nights of Love? I was searching through my closet last night to find a DVD and found my old copy of it. I haven't really read it since I was a teenager and just thought it was curious. Its a pretty fascinating book from what I remember.

Atrus

Gold Member
I just bought 6 books today:

- The Tao of Nature by Zhuanzi
- The Horrors and Absurdities of Religion by Arthur Schopenhauer
- Sensation and Sex by Lucretius
- Of Human Freedom by Epictetus
- Human Happiness by Blaise Pascal
- Vienna Art and Architecture by HF Ullman

Sleepy

Poker: The Real Deal- Gordon (I got all four books for Christmas. Seems like I should start at the beginning).

The Girl Who Played with Fire- Larson

A Theory of Semiotics- Eco

Confessions of a Young Novelist- Eco

coldvein

Banned
i can't decide if i'm ever going to read "ready player one" or not.

a bunch of people have told me it's good. a bunch of people have told me "if you're a child of the 80's you'll love it". a bunch of people have told me "if you're a child of the 80's it still sucks".

Slayven

a bunch of people have told me it's good. a bunch of people have told me "if you're a child of the 80's you'll love it". a bunch of people have told me "if you're a child of the 80's it still sucks".

It's good, gets a little fanficish in parts but nothing terrible.. The world is interesting, and I hope he does a sequel.

still working on catch-22 (great book although it took a little for me to get into it)

and this is waiting in the wings:

IWuRs.jpg

Heel

I felt like it got a little obnoxious with the nearly constant barrage of 80's nerd culture references. He really lays it on thick.

That said, I still really liked it. Worth reading for sure!

Qwomo

Hey Salazar, which The Great Game are you reading? I looked it up on amazon and the guy has like two books called The Great Game with different subtitles. I was most confused.

coldvein

Banned
still on book one of vladimir sorokin's ice trilogy. things are picking up, and i'm still pretty early on in the book. the following lines from the main character

"And we understood definitively that this was an identifying sign of the Light: the dark haired and grey-eyed could not be one of us. Our search needed be only among the blue eyed and light-haired"

kinda made me go "whaaaaat!?". definitely some crazy shit going on in this one.

Qwomo

2006 edition. The Great Game: On Secret Service in High Asia. I think the only difference is a new foreword.
Alright, cool beans. Sounds like an interesting book, that shit is going right to the top of my to-read list.

Narag

Need to get back to reading. Going to start with Stephen King's The Dead Zone and a reread of Hyperion.

Gets fucking great towards the end and the sequels are great. Shadow's Edge was my personal favorite. I actually just picked up The Black Prism by Brent Weeks at a thrift store today. Seems interesting thus far.

Black Prism e-book (among other things) is discounted to $2.99 until Jan 2 for anyone else interested.

Kisaya

I want to get my hands on a copy of Pride and Prejudice DX

The list of links of recommendations is helpful, thanks! I haven't had time to read for myself in a while, but I want to start again during my break~

Tapiozona

Banned
Hero+of+Ages.jpg

Pleasantly surprised with this series. I breezed through the first two books. Both of them had amazing endings though book two was a tad bit sluggish in the middle.

I kinda hope Sanderson kills of Elend in this book..he annoys the shit out of me

Sblargh

Banned
This last bimester, I really read little.
New year resolution is to catch up, starting with one my favorite Sci-fi authors:
PODKAYNE+OF+MARS.jpg

Sblargh

Banned
I just bought 6 books today:

- The Tao of Nature by Zhuanzi
- The Horrors and Absurdities of Religion by Arthur Schopenhauer
- Sensation and Sex by Lucretius
- Of Human Freedom by Epictetus
- Human Happiness by Blaise Pascal
- Vienna Art and Architecture by HF Ullman

Good selection. If you like your Schopenhauer, I recommen buying the second volume of The World as Will and Representation (the complements to the main book), I even think some of the texts in what you bought come from there.
Also, if you like that Pascal, I really recomend the Pensées, even as an atheist, I believe it is an excellent source of wisdow; people quote "the heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing", but the way he constructs the aphorisms around it make it so much more powerful than the single quote. The same goes for the bet argument (if god exists, then you lose all by not believing, if he doesn't, then you lose nothing by believing in him), which nowadays is just abused left and right.
Also, if you like the romans, don't skip Epicurus, he is my personal favorite and it is the kind of philosopher whose teachings I actually try to follow.

Salazar

Let her shop, icarus.

Much as I resent Jane Austen (for her encroachment on the offerings of literature departments, for no better reason than to train teachers to plod through P&P), some of those editions are sexy.

mike23

Just finished

wQXXP.jpg

Liked it a lot. The setting is pretty interesting too. I'm interested to see what the author does with it in the rest of the series.

Probably starting this next

UJQwM.jpg

Dresden

Finished:

l9LLZ.jpg

Really liked it. Starts off as a standoff between a writer and his muse, who has come to him rather peeved that all of his female characters die gruesomely. He shrugs it off by saying that it's all just a game--yet to her as a figment of his imagination it is some thing far more--or something. Think I'll track down her other books.

Sblargh

Banned
Finished:

l9LLZ.jpg

Really liked it. Starts off as a standoff between a writer and his muse, who has come to him rather peeved that all of his female characters die gruesomely. He shrugs it off by saying that it's all just a game--yet to her as a figment of his imagination it is some thing far more--or something. Think I'll track down her other books.

I read the Icarus Girl by her and highly recommend. It starts out as something aimed for 14-16 yo girls (which probably is the target audience) but then take some turns to some genuinely scary stuff.

Top Bottom