• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AACS Mandate: PS3 no longer support HD through component| Existing Units Not Affected

angelfly

Is it possible to only disable HD when playing Blu-Ray? It's silly even in this age to expect every HDTV to have HDMI. Even then some people have limited inputs.

Theonik

I wonder if this is actually saving them any money on the DAC front or that would not be possible to change. Otherwise this seems like a really weird move. Who is benefiting from this? Especially since HDMI isn't proprietary.

Orayn

I'm actually using a dinosaur of a rear projection HDTV right now, and this would be a real bummer if it coincided with a $200 price point for the PS3... Well, I guess there are adapters out there. Still a pain, though...
angelfly said:
Is it possible to only disable HD when playing Blu-Ray? It's silly even in this age to expect every HDTV to have HDMI. Even then some people have limited inputs.
I'm pretty sure the PS3 already does. Blu-Ray movies are have HDCP, meaning they'll only display at their full resolution on an HDCP-compatible DVI or HDMI connection.

NateDrake

Billychu said:
As far as I know this only applies to electronics made now, but I'm still slightly wary of them pulling an Other OS and removing HD from all systems.
Would it be possible for Sony to release a firmware disabling all component systems from broadcasting in HD? If that happens then Sony is evil. First removal of Other OS, PSN Pass, and now this.

jackdoe

NateDrake said:
Would it be possible for Sony to release a firmware disabling all component systems from broadcasting in HD? If that happens then Sony is evil. First removal of Other OS, PSN Pass, and now this.
I doubt that would happen. That would not be worth the effort it would take, especially since it won't make them any money.

Orayn

NateDrake said:
Evil and counter-productive. This news is about a new model of PS3 that presumably lacks something needed to display HD over component, but it would probably take a non-trivial amount of work disable the feature on existing units. I don't see why they possibly would.

NateDrake said:
Would it be possible for Sony to release a firmware disabling all component systems from broadcasting in HD?
They can't do that, and even if they could it's out of the question. That move alone would destroy a massive chunk of their userbase's PS3's unexpectedly.

Kyoufu

Wow, Sony still removing features from PS3. Shameful.

How about those people who use component devices to record/stream their PS3 gameplay in HD?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
24FrameDaVinci said:
I have no issue with this. One uniform solution to A/V cables is the best option.

How does this get closer to that?

There's still an AV Out port. You can still plug in component cables. What's been solved?

Raistlin

OldJadedGamer said:
The thing I just simply don't understand is why is a system this power too stupid to understand when a game or movie is being played? Why is movie DRM coming over to the game part?
Well, we're assuming the news is correct - hopefully it isn't.

If it is, then obviously yes Sony needs to separate the two. Hopefully it isn't a contractual issue that they fucked up. If so, they are to blame for not seeing it beforehand.

Oh, I missed it as they were getting rid of the entire port. The one that does both HD and SD.
It's the same port.

Not true, as the original PS2 launch units didn't have an HDD bay then it was added, then it was taken away but the very first launch units lacked an HDD bay.
Japan-only iirc. The other regions came with it at launch.

Unless they remove the feature through firmware... which they have done in the past.
Why would they spend development time for something they have no contractual obligation to do?

This reminds me of when Jack Tretton blamed the bloated movie prices of UMD's on the movie studios. Movie studios.... like Sony Pictures.
That's a very obtuse outlook

jackdoe

Orayn said:
Evil and counter-productive. This news is about a new model of PS3 that presumably lacks something needed to display HD over component, but it would probably take a non-trivial amount of work disable the feature on existing units. I don't see why they possibly would.
I bet that is exactly what it is. Not some "grand evil scheme" of Sony's, but more of a cost cutting.

-edit-
Oops. I was wrong. Started reading up on AACS sunset that everyone mentioned. People should google it. Explains a lot about why Sony is doing this.

Orayn

Square Triangle said:
Tell them to fucking get with 2008?
But I love my 2003ish 55" rear projection 1080i component-only beast of a TV!
DQCxT.png

Well, that and the fact that it will take an act of God to get it out of my apartment.

kassatsu

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Wow, Sony still removing features from PS3. Shameful.

How about those people who use component devices to record/stream their PS3 gameplay in HD?
They will still do this since they are unaffected?

jackdoe

Orayn said:
But I love my 2003ish 55" rear projection 1080i component-only beast of a TV!
Well, that and the fact that it will take an act of God to get it out of my apartment.
Haha. I upgraded from my 2006 rear projection recently to a plasma. Felt good being able to lift an HDTV by myself for a change.

larvi

jackdoe said:
I have to say though, I am surprised at the rather large number of people who have HDTVs without an HDMI port. My old HDTV was a mid tier model, bought in 2007 (but released in 2006) and had two HDMI ports. I mean, I did my research at the time and made sure I bought an HDTV with HDMI since I figured that would be the new standard (and since I figured on Blu-ray playback for the future). For those with component only HDTVs, when did you buy your models?

I bought mine 12/14/2005. I don't replace my electronics or appliances just to gain access to new features. Only when they no longer work. I still have older TVs in use in the house as well.

Massa

Raistlin said:
Not at all.

Like it or not, reality is the new media formats simply wouldn't have existed without it. I don't like it any more than you, but I realize it had to happen.

Just look at the companies that founded AACS. They came together to create a bridge so the two opposing sides (CE's and content providers) could communicate. Basically they were the adults in the room during negotiations to make sure neither side was getting bent over too much.

The way I see it they were in the room to make sure the only ones getting bent over were the ones not in the room (the consumers).

Content providers need customers to buy their content, otherwise they're useless. I don't see how forcing needless restrictions on consumers makes it any easier for a content producer to produce content and then sell it. If anything it just makes it a hassle to get content from them instead of not getting it at all, or getting the DRM-free versions on the internet for "free".

Raistlin

Billychu said:
As far as I know this only applies to electronics made now, but I'm still slightly wary of them pulling an Other OS and removing HD from all systems.
It's counterintuitive to assume they'd do that. They'd be spending development time and money on something they have no contractual obligation to enforce.

What I'd be more concerned about is if studios start including the image constraint token (ICT) on movie releases now that we're hitting phase one of the BD analog sunset.

Enforcement of that is already in all BD players. That said, I believe part of the negotiation is that the disc must list usage of ICT or DOT on the back of the box.

So future PS3s won't be able to output anything higher than 480i out of component. Then by 2013 they won't have component at all. Sucks. But it's ok, streaming is about to be a felony without a license anyway! HDMI capture cards also won't work on the PS3 since all output is HDCP enabled (there are ways around this but I'd assume they are illegal under the DMCA circumvention laws). If the next 360 goes blu-ray you can look forward to the same thing happening.

Vita also won't be coming with video out (unrelated, but disappointing since the PSP had video out).

Raistlin

Massa said:
The way I see it they were in the room to make sure the only ones getting bent over were the ones not in the room (the consumers).
Sure. I don't think it changes the point though.

The studios would have never hopped on board a format that didn't provide most of the provisions found in the current AACS agreement.

NBtoaster

Stumpokapow said:
until their ps3 breaks and they need to buy a new one :p

(Launch 60GB Ps3 + Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 here)

Is it confirmed that the new 160gb will be the only new model available? Aren't there 320GBs?

jackdoe

larvi said:
I bought mine 12/14/2005. I don't replace my electronics or appliances just to gain access to new features. Only when they no longer work. I still have older TVs in use in the house as well.
Hmmm. If you still have older TVs in use, then why did you buy an HDTV in 2005? I thought you didn't replace electronics to gain access to new features, haha.

But in all seriousness, the HDTV was bought because of the Xbox 360 launch I presume? 60Hz, 1080P?

Red

_dementia said:
What about people who care about HD content, but also like recording it?
Look man, I agree with you. It's a shitty move that seems completely unnecessary. But I don't think that for the majority it is going to matter.

That doesn't excuse the few that are affected by it.

polyh3dron said:
aahahahahaha you so funny
Sorry, you're right. It's actually double that.

Massa

Raistlin said:
Sure. I don't think it changes the point though.

The studios would have never hopped on board a format that didn't provide most of the provisions found in the current AACS agreement.

The studios don't have a choice. Either they hop on board or they see diminishing sales on the old format.

It's really easy to predict the behavior of these studios, they go were they think the money is. I don't think keeping the old format was the answer there.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I love component, this is bollocks, wtf are Sony playing at this gen?, I use both my 360 and PS3 via HD component on my HDTV.

Massa said:
The studios don't have a choice. Either they hop on board or they see diminishing sales on the old format.

It's really easy to predict the behavior of these studios, they go were they think the money is. I don't think keeping the old format was the answer there.

I understand it from a movie studio point of view... just it gets lost on us gamers on how this has ANYTHING to do with gaming. At all.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
NBtoaster said:
Is it confirmed that the new 160gb will be the only new model available? Aren't there 320GBs?

I don't think "can output HD resolutions using component cables" is going to be an upsell feature for the higher model, especially given the AACS sunset people are talking about in this thread.

Raistlin

Massa said:

That's not how it works ... there's this thing known as competition.

Think back to when HD-DVD and BD were battling it out. If one of them wasn't offering DRM and the other was ... the former would have basically died instantaneously because all the studios would have dropped them like a bad habit.

larvi

jackdoe said:
Hmmm. If you still have older TVs in use, then why did you buy an HDTV in 2005? I thought you didn't replace electronics to gain access to new features, haha.

But in all seriousness, the HDTV was bought because of the Xbox 360 launch I presume? 60Hz, 1080P?

Because an older TV broke, I have multiple TVs in the house. It wasn't bought for the 360 at all, it's just been repurposed for use for my gaming room. And it's only 720p (Actually 1024x768 is the ideal resolution and what I'm using for the 360)

MrMephistoX

VariantX said:
So, now I have to buy a brand new HDTV just to play PS3 games in HD since my HDTV is apparently too old now? Fantastic.

If you already own a PS3 you're fine. I would imagine that most folks that waited to get a PS3 till now are not the early adopter type and thus probably wouldn't have jumped on the HD bandwagon in it's infancy.

Raistlin

OldJadedGamer said:
I did say "original" launch units. So the feature was never there, they added it, then removed it.
Yes, in one region it wasn't there true.

My point is for a majority of people, it was in fact there.

MechaX

Hm... This is an interesting decision from Sony, but I am so beyond the brink in terms of rampant cynicism with almost every gaming publisher, developer, or corporation these days that it doesn't even fucking matter to me.

I'm glad I got my PS3 when I did, because my HDTV doesn't actually have an HDMI port (but I guess my... laptop does?).

So basically I'm going to give my PS3 the "if you ever break down at a single point like your 360 brother, I swear to god I will ragequit console gaming and they will never find your plastic body" speech that I gave my Wii, and add lack of HDMI-TV as another bullet point.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
kassatsu said:
MGS Bundle 80GB PS3 + Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle :)

Does that allow to grab footage through HDCP? Not that I care for now since I don't have USB 3.0 but still.

My current Matrox MXO2 Mini doesn't like HDCP so I hope my Slim never fails.

kassatsu

Banned
TTP said:
Does that allow to grab footage through HDCP? Not that I care for now since I don't have USB 3.0 but still.

My current Matrox MXO2 Mini doesn't like HDCP so I hope my Slim never fails.
Nope. "For legal reasons HDMI input is unable to capture from copy protected HDMI sources. Always confirm copyright ownership before capture or distribution of content."

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
kassatsu said:
Nope. "For legal reasons HDMI input is unable to capture from copy protected HDMI sources. Always confirm copyright ownership before capture or distribution of content."

Great :/

I don't understand why this HDCP crap has to apply to the whole video output and not to movies alone.

statham

I have 2 hdtvs a 37in in the bedroom and a 46in in the main room. It has only one hdmi that is hooked up to the ps3 and component connected to the 360. This doesn't effect me, but what if people also have htpcs, cable, or other devices?

Raistlin

TTP said:
Great :/

I don't understand why this HDCP crap has to apply to the whole video output and not to movies alone.
I'm not privy to the contractual verbiage ... but are HDMI 360's the same way? If so, I assume it's some detail in the contract for HDCP vis-a-vis the HDMI Tx. If not, Sony is just dumb.

Either way, look into HD Fury.

TTP said:

HDCP applies to the content, not the entire video output. But you aren't supposed to connect any HDMI device to a device that doesn't support HDCP... so before the devices even know what content is being played they do a "handshake" to ensure they both can handle any protected signal. Not all signals are marked protected.

I seriously dislike a lot of things Sony has done this gen.

The PS3 didn't support my Sony HDTV when it first launched very well.. because it was a 1080i set.. it was only a few years old.. and cost me $3,000.

It's like Sony either doesn't talk between their PS3 division and HDTV division or they are so ridiculously greedy they think people would actually upgrade their Sony TV's when they pull crap like this.. I actually specifically avoided buying a Sony TV and will from now into the future because of PS3's bullshit lack of real 1080i support.

Top Bottom