• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Hot Off "Get Out", Jordan Peele is being courted to direct "Akira"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to gamble that these rumors come to a cold stop on Monday if GitS severely underperforms.

Peele would be a smart pick, if only to give the project a huge credibility boost amongst its most vocal critics. Without a doubt, he could kill it.

But if studios lose faith in anime adaptations, nobody's going to put down a dime on this. Him getting Flash is way more likely (assuming he's even interested in taking on a tentpole-sized commitment).

guek

Banned
I'm going to gamble that these rumors come to a cold stop on Monday if GitS severely underperforms.

Peele would be a smart pick, if only to give the project a huge credibility boost amongst its most vocal critics. Without a doubt, he could kill it.

But if studios lose faith in anime adaptations, nobody's going to put down a dime on this. Him getting Flash is way more likely (assuming he's even interested in taking on a tentpole-sized commitment).

That all seems possible

Get Out was dope but what a bizarre project to offer him to follow that up.

This trend of offering indie directors who have shown no inclination of being a fit for this sort of thing some huge 150+ million project right out the gate is stupid.

Good for him though, make that money. Honestly I'd offer him one of those "Cloverfield-verse" movies since Get Out felt like an episode of the twilight zone.

edit: wait wait...they got a director for Shazam now? some random wasteman, nooooo. Oh well. Better Peele be on Akira than Espinosa, he's a better filmmaker already.

"The dude from that sketch show?

Can he do horror?"
I get what you're saying, but Get Out is built upon some of the darker satire from Key and Peele. The hoodie sketch they did after (I believe) Trayvon Martin comes to mind

That's a bit different than the leap to (presumably) CG as fuck cyberpunk body horror shit

Would be awesome to see him on this though solely because its an interesting pick (vs. random guy who made a mediocre movie that looked nice)

Ross61

This trend of offering indie directors who have shown no inclination of being a fit for this sort of thing some huge 150+ million project right out the gate is stupid.

Good for him though, make that money. Honestly I'd offer him one of those "Cloverfield-verse" movies since Get Out felt like an episode of the twilight zone.

edit: wait wait...they got a director for Shazam now? some random wasteman, nooooo. Oh well. Better Peele be on Akira than Espinosa, he's a better filmmaker already.

Random wasteman? He driected on of the better horro movies of last year and got James Wan full backing.

guek

Banned

Honest question, how many other examples are there since 2000 of studios taking a successful indie director and give them a tentpole project? The only example off the top of my head is Trank and F4

robotrock

Banned
Is a newbie director from Youtube really the best pick for a movie like Akira..?

No joke I think this is the only case where it should be Zack Snyder if they were just ripping off of the movie. I don't know anything about the manga or whatever.

Whatever he gets, Flash or Akira or whatever, they should have him take a crack on the script too.

Seems like Peele's about to get seriously tested here.

He says he's got like five or six ideas in his head that are along the lines of Get Out: Using genre to examine societal issues. Smaller-scale, less-expensive things.

How much money does a studio have to offer him to get him to swerve from that?

And if they do offer him all that money, how severely will he have to bend to suggestions that continue to perpetuate the stagnant bullshit that movies like Get Out prove are unneccessary stances to keep holding here in the 21st century?

Because right now if this rumor contains a shred of truth to it (and Sneider cops to getting this shit wrong THREE TIMES already in the OP's post) It seems the choice is:

Continue on the path that is already rewarding both creatively and financially

or

Cash in while they're offering and start compromising in the hopes a large scale sci-fi success (be it Flash for AKIRA) can be achieved.

Honest question, how many other examples are there since 2000 of studios taking a successful indie director and give them a tentpole project? The only example off the top of my head is Trank and F4

The director of Kong: Skull Island, Jordan Vogt-Roberts, made an indie movie in 2013 and a documentary in 2014. That's it. Now he's rumored to be doing the Metal Gear movie.

jett

D-Member
Whatever man. I don't understand why WB wants to make this thing so badly. Akira as-is would be impenetrable to the average moviegoer.

WAIT FOR SOMEONE BESIDES THE TRACKING BOARD TO REPORT ON THIS

That said... interesting choice, if its actually the case (iiiiiffffff)

Question being: Would Peele be the one to say "Look - this is a story about Japanese culture, starring Japanese people, set in a post-apocalyptic Japan: I'm not putting Dane De-fucking-Haan in my Akira movie."

IS HE THAT DUDE.

Dan DeHaan already starred in a previous Akira adaptation anyways!

guek

Banned
The director of Kong: Skull Island, Jordan Vogt-Roberts, made an indie movie in 2013 and a documentary in 2014. That's it. Now he's rumored to be doing the Metal Gear movie.
You just reminded me, Edwards did Monsters before he did Godzilla too.

Jon Watts? He did that Cop Car movie and now he's doing Spider-Man.

Edit: Marc Webb did 500 Days of Summer before The Amazing Spider-Man.

This guy's one
MV5BNjE3NDQyOTYyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODcyODU2Mw@@._V1_UY317_CR7,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Jon Watts like GOB mentioned.
Carl Eric-Rinsch with 47 Ronin
Josh Trank with F4
Colin Trevorrow with Jurassic World
Gareth Edwards with Godzilla
Jordan Vogt-Roberts with Kong: Skull Island
Niell Blomkamp with "Elysium"
Marc Webb with "Amazing Spider-Man"
Rupert Sanders went from directing TV ads to "Snow White and the Huntsman."

I'm sure there are more, but this is what immediately came to mind.

wandering

Banned

Gareth Edwards went from Monsters to Godzilla and Rogue One

Rupert Wyatt went from The Escapist to Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Matt Reeves went from Cloverfield to Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Rian Johnson went from Looper to Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Duncan Jones went from Source Code to Warcraft

Colin Trevorrow went from Safety Not Guaranteed to Jurassic World and now Star Wars Episode IX

Nudull

Banned
WAIT FOR SOMEONE BESIDES THE TRACKING BOARD TO REPORT ON THIS

That said... interesting choice, if its actually the case (iiiiiffffff)

Question being: Would Peele be the one to say "Look - this is a story about Japanese culture, starring Japanese people, set in a post-apocalyptic Japan: I'm not putting Dane De-fucking-Haan in my Akira movie."

IS HE THAT DUDE.

Is Dane even that big a draw anymore? ASM 2 did a number on his career, and A Cure for Wellness basically bombed.

Josh Trank with F4

47 Ronin doesn't count. lol

_woLf

The way Hollywood has handled Ghost in the Shell makes me hope the Akira and Battle Angel Alita movies never ever happen, to be honest.

Josh Trank with F4
Rupert Sanders went from directing TV ads to "Snow White and the Huntsman."

Joseph Kosinski tops them all by having his first movie be the $170M Tron Legacy.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If Peele does direct, there's no way Kanye won't try to reach out to him to put some original music in the movie.

Jurassic World, Kong, Godzilla, both spiderman reboots

Fantastic 4 was actually a logical move after chronicle. It just happened to crash and burn tho lol. And I liked kong so it ain't all so bad but I'm still kinda mad about Trevorrows undeserved rise to the top lol. Marc Webb, Edwards and Trevorrow are cases where I think it did not pay off well at all quality wise (tho financially they made some beastly movies no doubt)

Wasn't Deadpool director similarly inexperienced in film (trailers or something).

Deadpool was small compared to what some of these guys get. Something like $60mil vs over $160mil.

And we're all forgetting the two guys directing the biggest Marvel movies started with Me, You, and Dupree.

kurahador

Wasn't Deadpool director similarly inexperienced in film (trailers or something).

Different scope and budget. Deadpool even received a budget cut to get the studio agrees to the director's vision.

Handing $100++ million movie to an inexperience director?? You can bet the executives are going to micromanage it to hell.

tribal24

Banned
Im in, i would like to see how he would reimagine it or keep it close to the original material. I actually think he would make this watchable enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom