• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify |OT| All the music, all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Jayayess1190 said:

I really, really don't get it. Do I just have weird taste in music, or does spotify not give a crap about current year's stuff in particular? Everything I've read says Spotify has at least 1-3 million more songs (depending on the source) than Rhapsody, but I've been comparing them and Rhapsody kicks its ass sideways from what I can tell. Did they not get all their library over here yet?

Also, it seems like albums on Spotify are missing like 1 or 2 songs each for some reason.

Animator said:
Done, Everybody subscribe to this playlist and contribute. This should go into the OP as well.

Also as an unspoken rule of thumb refrain from adding entire albums or too many songs of the same band because you think they are fucking AWESOME. Add only the songs you love the most, if the song is good it is stupid easy to check the rest of the band on spotify anyway.

Are you trying to tell me something? As the playlist grows, it will become less of a problem as well.

Cush said:
Is there any way to view all the albums by an artist in list form? For example, if I search for The Rolling Stones, it would list just the names of the albums (Exile on Main St, etc.), then I could click on the album to see the songs. The Overview page seems unwieldy to me since it lists the albums + the songs -- it gets way too long for me to efficiently find anything. It would be nice if I could just see a concise overview of the band's discography, then click on an album for more detail.

When you are viewing the song, click on the Album name and the entire album should show up.

SeanR1221 said:
I can see stuff like Zeppelin and Metallica not being on there, but Arcade Fire? Why?

I think it is a negotiation problem. I mean, they don't even show up, I noticed that when I was adding stuff to the GAFlist. Good thing I already own all their albums!

SeanR1221

So in the mobile version, can I just hop onto the app and start streaming my playlist over 3G?

What if I'm in the mood for a song? Can I just search it and start streaming on the go?

CzarTim

SeanR1221 said:
So in the mobile version, can I just hop onto the app and start streaming my playlist over 3G?
What if I'm in the mood for a song? Can I just search it and start streaming on the go?
Yes. You can search and stream. Or you can download it onto your device and have it ready when needed. You can also wirelessly sync between your PC and phone. (Probably should do that on wifi though).

RDreamer said:
I really, really don't get it. Do I just have weird taste in music, or does spotify not give a crap about current year's stuff in particular? Everything I've read says Spotify has at least 1-3 million more songs (depending on the source) than Rhapsody, but I've been comparing them and Rhapsody kicks its ass sideways from what I can tell. Did they not get all their library over here yet?
Also, it seems like albums on Spotify are missing like 1 or 2 songs each for some reason.
They just launched in the US. It's gunna take a few months to get their selection up to snuff.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Awesome Animals said:
GAF Playlist
There we go :) I'll add a few songs right now.

EDIT: Wow, I added quite a bit of stuff, all over the map. Feel free to add lots more!

So I subscribed to this playlist but I only see one song that I can't play. What am I doing wrong here?

Dali

Is anyone else having trouble with search? Every search I try fails. Maybe a server-side thing, I guess.

edit:

So it's not just me, then. I guess it is a server-side thing.

2th

Banned
so far i havent been impressed. been much more amused by turntable.fm

but then again i have gotten away from my own music a lot more recently and prefer just something random to chill to while working on the computer.

dvdjamm

Awesome Animals said:
GAF Playlist
There we go :) I'll add a few songs right now.

EDIT: Wow, I added quite a bit of stuff, all over the map. Feel free to add lots more!

One More Time - Daft Punk is not available in the United States...So does that mean that even if someone else loads it up on a playlist that it still won't be available? And why is every Daft Punk album but Discovery is available?

Awesome Animals said:
I'm going to need to try comparing the two. I've never really noticed, but then, I've never really tried. Question for you though, is cans just slang for over ear headphones? Or does it mean something else?

I just meant over-ear headphones, no other meaning...:)

Lee N said:
Yes, but they're using OGG not MP3, the former handles way better at lower bitrates.

Wow, I didn't know that. I'll have to check it out sometime.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Been in the beta for a couple days now, but I'm on vacation so I haven't had a proper chance to dive in.

I def. enjoy it, but I'm not sure I'll pay the $10 a month. I've been pretty happy with Pandora free before now... Spotify seems very solid, but somewhat overhyped.

CzarTim

GDJustin said:
Been in the beta for a couple days now, but I'm on vacation so I haven't had a proper chance to dive in.

I def. enjoy it, but I'm not sure I'll pay the $10 a month. I've been pretty happy with Pandora free before now... Spotify seems very solid, but somewhat overhyped.
To each his own, etc. etc., but the two services are completely different. Pandora builds a radio station based on your likes/mood, and Spotify is like an iTunes where you have access to (most) every track inherently.

cory.

Banned
Oh cool, it's ogg. Sounds comparable to 192kbps MP3.
Don't see myself paying for this, too many alternatives, and I've already spent a good amount of time setting up Google Music. But it's useful.

Lee N

Membre
Kitschkraft said:
Wow, I didn't know that. I'll have to check it out sometime.
AAC+ outperforms both of them at low bitrates, fyi.

GDJustin said:
We've been using Spotify here in Sweden for 3 years now and I think it's fair to say that the honeymoon is over by now, but people still love it over here. Personally I've been paying for the service this entire time and it's well worth it for me. $10 is cheap for this kind of service if you're asking me.

Hellcrow

JAVK said:
Is there a way for spotify to play related music, like what Pandora does?

Click on the artist, and on the upper right there should be a tab called "Artist Radio". It will create a playlist with many of the artist songs, plus related artists.

Manager

From the other thread, use this for Invites:
http://spotify.com/sprite

pje122 said:
So who here has experience playing Spotify through their Onkyo receiver or Squeezebox Touch?
Also, 256kbps? I thought it said 320 on the site for Premium... was this downgraded for the US?

Edit:
Yeah, says 320 on the site... what's up with the OP...?
http://www.spotify.com/us/get-spotify/premium/

Fixed that, was a bit late and got them mixed.

Jayayess1190 said:

Thanks! Added to the OP.

So I'm trying to play Erykah Badu's second album, Mama's Gun. It works fine, but a few tracks will stop mid-song. They won't continue to play. I can't fast forward or scroll pass the stopping point.

Has this happened to anyone else?

georgc

So whats the difference between me putting my music on my ipad via itunes and syncing it via spotify? Seems like its the same thing.

Animator said:
Um, no?

I am talking about putting entire discographies/albums in there.

Sorry, I was just teasing. Sarcasm doesn't come off on the internet so well :)

Dupy said:
So I subscribed to this playlist but I only see one song that I can't play. What am I doing wrong here?

One song that can't play? Isn't that a good thing?

dvdjamm said:
One More Time - Daft Punk is not available in the United States...So does that mean that even if someone else loads it up on a playlist that it still won't be available? And why is every Daft Punk album but Discovery is available?

spotify:album:2noRn2Aes5aoNVsU6iWThc

That is the Discovery album link for the US, although the entire album isn't available, which makes me sad, because Digital Love is my favorite song.

Hellcrow said:
Click on the artist, and on the upper right there should be a tab called "Artist Radio". It will create a playlist with many of the artist songs, plus related artists.

Oy! You must not be in the US, we don't have that feature yet unfortunately.

Manager said:
Thanks! Added to the OP.

I'd add Spotiseek.com to the list of resources too :)

SonofdonCD said:
So I'm trying to play Erykah Badu's second album, Mama's Gun. It works fine, but a few tracks will stop mid-song. They won't continue to play. I can't fast forward or scroll pass the stopping point.

Are you using the free version? It may be an add trying to play, but not working correctly.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Awesome Animals said:
One song that can't play? Isn't that a good thing?

There was literally only one song on the playlist. But I checked it again this morning and everything is fine. Looks like it was an issue last night.

gimmmick

I downloaded it today and I'm loving the service. I signed up for the prem. service. Going to try it out @ the gym right now.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Getting a little sick of how songs just randomly stop being available to a region, makes me think twice about keeping my sub.

eznark

Banned
Awesome Animals said:
What kind of music do you listen to?

Americana mostly. I generally pick an album or two from the "listening" threads each month to try out and almost never make it through a full song on any of them.

I'm trying to find a good running playlist.

eznark said:
Americana mostly. I generally pick an album or two from the "listening" threads each month to try out and almost never make it through a full song on any of them.

I'm trying to find a good running playlist.

Hmm...I could try making a playlist for you if you'd like. I listen to some americana based on what I just read on wikipedia. I like Dawes!

SeanR1221

Ok, so I jumped on Premium, but now I'm confused.

On my iPhone, my custom playlists can play everything, but the ones I got from spotify (like top 40 rock songs) have most of the songs greyed out, and it's telling me to sync and download. What gives? Especially because some of those top 40 are in my playsists and can be streamed!

nocode

Well, thanks to generous Gaffer Rabbitweed I was able to check this out last night. I fucking love it, and can't wait to use this at work.

SeanR1221

SeanR1221 said:
Ok, so I jumped on Premium, but now I'm confused.

On my iPhone, my custom playlists can play everything, but the ones I got from spotify (like top 40 rock songs) have most of the songs greyed out, and it's telling me to sync and download. What gives? Especially because some of those top 40 are in my playsists and can be streamed!

Ok...it almost seems like they are different versions in the top 40 list.

I added one of the top 40 songs to my playlist, still greyed out. I searched and added the same song, works fine. Really weird and really annoying. Hope they fix this.

Angelus Errare said:
So yeah since spotify has launched officially in US.

lol @ Amazon, Google and soon iTunes cloud crap.
Spotify is not some godsend service, we've had different (better?) services already.

I just don't see the hype in Spotify.

I am also having the problem where an ad should play and it doesn't so I can't play the track at all. Why can't anyone solve this? Should I upgrade to Unlimited?

RDreamer

thewesker said:
Spotify is not some godsend service, we've had different (better?) services already.

I just don't see the hype in Spotify.

Agreed. Rhapsody has way better album selection from what I've seen, and from what I checked out of Rdio it has better album selection too and some more interesting social features than Rhapsody.

Spotify so far has almost an abysmal selection, especially when it comes to this year's music. And it seems like the integration with my library is really screwy and confusing. For some reason it's missing a song or two from every album on my library. I'm not exactly sure why.

I mean the idea of Spotify really appeals to me. If it had a better selection and the program worked as well as it seems to for everyone else, it'd be great. I mean the program is a lot slicker than the website thing that I'm stuck with on Rhapsody, and I'd love to migrate to that, but without that selection and with the weird import issues, I don't get the hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom