• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

I posted in the last thread saying I'd love to be a part of it, but was at E3 during the recording. I'd love to get in on this in the future!

kai3345

Banned
Just listened to it. Good job guys!

Can't wait to hear next week's, and hopefully a game will roll around that I'll be knowledgeable enough about to be able to discuss.

Just listened to it. Good job guys!

Can't wait to hear next week's, and hopefully a game will roll around that I'll be knowledgeable enough about to be able to discuss.

Thanks!

Here is what I have on the docket, don't know what order they will be done in.

• Journey to SIlius
  • Shenmue
  • Sonic CD
  • Super Mario World

d1rtn4p

Quick question, just console games only? Or will you dabble in PC games? Would love to see something on the Ultima games, Monkey Islands, and old adventures in general :)

Quick question, just console games only? Or will you dabble in PC games? Would love to see something on the Ultima games, Monkey Islands, and old adventures in general :)

A little bit, there is a HUGE list of games I want to hit on that are fueled off my personal nostalgia. I think that is important to have that as the host. I did start playing PC games back in the days of Prodigy, if that gives you reference.

Jill of the Jungle, Jazz Jack Rabit, Duke Nukem, etc.

We just finished recording this week's episode on DuckTales (a whoo ooo) .

That pogo stick mechanic is so fun; I kind of just want to play this game every week from now on.

Episode 1: Duck Tales NES

This week we revisit DuckTales for the NES. From the fantastic music to the pogo stick attack, DuckTales holds a special place in our heart that makes us want to belt out, “oooOOO-Hooo” every time the title is said. We also cover the retro news that came out of the E3 conference including a new Link to the Past, Odd World, Killer Instinct, and much more!

Next Episode (coming June 23):

The schedule for the next four episodes:

• Super Mario World (June 30)
  • Shenmue (June 30)
  • Journey to Silius (July 7)
  • Chrono Trigger (July 14)

Oh your gonna do Chrono Trigger....

So....does my rule of dibs apply?

Also your post of wanting to do Journey to Silius was very intriguing to me. I had never heard of it so I looked up a quick youtube video about it and it looks like a really great game. Kudos.

Oh your gonna do Chrono Trigger....

So....does my rule of dibs apply?

Also your post of wanting to do Journey to Silius was very intriguing to me. I had never heard of it so I looked up a quick youtube video about it and it looks like a really great game. Kudos.

Yeah, let's chat on skype at some point this week. Shoot me a PM with your screen name.

Game Guru

I'm sorry I missed the DuckTales episode, since I have a story pertaining to it. DuckTales was one of the NES games I owned, but at one point, I had a friend and I lent him my Super Mario Bros. 2 and DuckTales cartridges and he never returned them. I think he moved! Grr... I want my DuckTales cartridge back...

I've also got good things to say about SMW (which I owned on SNES, GBA, and VC) and Chrono Trigger (which I own on PS1). Unfortunately, I have to side against GAF opinion on Shenmue. I owned the game on Dreamcast and I generally found it slow and kind of boring, no offense. I don't want to be on your podcast though, since I have a voice which is a near match for Homestar Runner.

I'm sorry I missed the DuckTales episode, since I have a story pertaining to it. DuckTales was one of the NES games I owned, but at one point, I had a friend and I lent him my Super Mario Bros. 2 and DuckTales cartridges and he never returned them. I think he moved! Grr... I want my DuckTales cartridge back...

I've also got good things to say about SMW (which I owned on SNES, GBA, and VC) and Chrono Trigger (which I own on PS1). Unfortunately, I have to side against GAF opinion on Shenmue. I owned the game on Dreamcast and I generally found it slow and kind of boring, no offense. I don't want to be on your podcast though, since I have a voice which is a near match for Homestar Runner.

I think what I might play around with is doing a 1 on 1 with a Super Fan of a game, or if someone has a particularly interesting story with it.

Right now I think (judging by the feedback) John, Trey, and I have some good chemistry so I wan to keep that group together, or at least one of them in to keep some consistency.

But with that said we will be rotating in some of you guys too :)

manhack

Listened to both podcasts and enjoyed them a lot. Much better sounding than I was expecting and I appreciate the format you are using(playing the games before the discussion).

Loving the show so far guys, keep up the good work!

Listened to both podcasts and enjoyed them a lot. Much better sounding than I was expecting and I appreciate the format you are using(playing the games before the discussion).

Glad you like it, I think it is really important to have some fresh impressions on the game. Makes it easier to let people know if the game holds up.

RkOwnage

started my playthrough of SMW. The wife came into the room and immediately demanded we do 2p, so we sat down together and demolished Worlds 1-5. She's better at Mario games than me, plus I got to be Luigi, which rocks. Love having a wife that games.

started my playthrough of SMW. The wife came into the room and immediately demanded we do 2p, so we sat down together and demolished Worlds 1-5. She's better at Mario games than me, plus I got to be Luigi, which rocks. Love having a wife that games.

Lucky indeed. Bet it beats the hell out of NSMBU

Ragnarok

Just wanted to chime in and say that i think you guys are doing a great job! And there's definitely a void to fill since retronauts is finished.

Kudos! I might be down to talk about anything NES, Genesis, 3DO, PS1, or Dreamcast related.

Just wanted to chime in and say that i think you guys are doing a great job! And there's definitely a void to fill since retronauts is finished.

Kudos! I might be down to talk about anything NES, Genesis, 3DO, PS1, or Dreamcast related.

Thanks! I wish some more of GAF would check it out. Out downloads aren't super high.

oatmeal

Banned
Almost done the second episode. I wasn't really ever into Duck Tales, but I was still interested the whole time.

You should have a story time segment before moving onto news, have other people call in or write in short memories that stand out about their experience with the game (since you announce the title before hand, you can have it ready for the podcast).

Almost done the second episode. I wasn't really ever into Duck Tales, but I was still interested the whole time.

You should have a story time segment before moving onto news, have other people call in or write in short memories that stand out about their experience with the game (since you announce the title before hand, you can have it ready for the podcast).

That is what I was thinking for the chrono trigger ep. I have gotten 6 PMs asking to be a part of that episode.

Listening to the DT episode.

You all seem to be surprised by the Game Boy's audio capabilities. It's actually more sophisticated than the NES. Game Boy has 4-channel stereo vs NES's 3-Chanel mono.

Enjoying the show so far, keep it up.

Listening to the DT episode.

You all seem to be surprised by the Game Boy's audio capabilities. It's actually more sophisticated than the NES. Game Boy has 4-channel stereo vs NES's 3-Chanel mono.

Enjoying the show so far, keep it up.

I know it was stereo vs mono, but always thought the NES sounded better. Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom