• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#FightFor15 - Target to Gradually Raise Minimum Pay to $15 by 2020

legacyzero

Banned
Source

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/25/target-to-raise-its-hourly-minimum-wage.html

Thousands of Target employees are about to get a raise.
The big-box retailer on Monday said it will start to increase its hourly minimum wage to $11 beginning next month. Target's minimum wage was previously boosted to $10 per hour last May.
The pay raise will outpace Wal-Mart's recent minimum wage increase. The two retailers have been engaged in a silent wage war that dates back years.

Target also committed to boosting its minimum wage to $15 per hour by 2020.
Target has declined to comment on how many of the retailer's roughly 323,000 employees at its more than 1,800 stores will be receiving the pay increases. The company has emphasized that it wants to "recruit and retain strong team members."

Your move, Wal-Mart.

That's awesome. I hope it doesn't hurt them somehow in the long run, which would fuel the debate in the wrong direction...

I'm being a bit pessimistic, but I imagine there will be less employees and stores by 2020, and double the registers where you self-scan.

Quonny

I'm being a bit pessimistic, but I imagine there will be less employees and stores by 2020, and double the registers where you self-scan.

Yeah, this will definitely be the case. However, the number of stockers in a Target store vastly outnumber the number of cashiers. Plus the customer service desk needs employees.

And you'll also need an employee at the self-checkout station to deal with the inevitable issues.

It won't be that big a hit.

Ever

Banned
Walmart raises the minimum wage to $15, then cuts the # of cashiers in half and doubles the amount of self-service stations. Full time workers are cut down drastically. Benefits are lowered. More 16-18 year-olds are hired to work at minimum. Immigrant baggers are added to work for tips only and double as cashiers while avoiding the job description to pay them less. Plus no 401k's or upward mobility in the company. "You want more? Then everyone else gets less," Walmart says, laughing while shareholders look on in approval.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Walmart raises the minimum wage to $15, then cuts the # of cashiers in half and doubles the amount of self-service stations. Full time workers are cut down drastically. Benefits are lowered. More 16-18 year-olds are hired to work at minimum. Immigrant baggers are added to work for tips only and double as cashiers while avoiding the job description to pay them less. Plus no 401k's or upward mobility in the company. "You want more? Then everyone else gets less," Walmart says, laughing while shareholders look on in approval.

"Don't ask for anything or you'll be automated out of a job" isn't that scary when you realize that it's going to happen anyways.

And people that shop at Wal-Mart are not about to start tipping immigrants lol. It would be funny to see Wal-Mart try to present the "we've got people who work for tips" idea though.

Kenstar

how can walmart cut the maybe 3 cashiers they usually have when its not nov-dec in half tho

Not even effective. My Target has already replaced some Cashiers with self-checkout machines and slashed hours like you wouldn't believe. Excluding management, most workers there (I'm a former employee) get 15-20 hours.

border

Have you been to a Target lately? Out of like 25 registers, there's only like 4 of them open. They could barely have any less cashiers if they tried.

90% of their staff is not running a register now or in the future.

kirblar

Retail places are absolutely desperate for employees in my area. This is a consequence of unemployment being as low as it is.

Futureman

I go to a pretty busy Target a few times a week and there's never more than 3 cashiers working anyways. I'm guessing a machine isn't going to replace the service desk workers anytime soon either.

Good on TARG.

Yeah, this will definitely be the case. However, the number of stockers in a Target store vastly outnumber the number of cashiers. Plus the customer service desk needs employees.

And you'll also need an employee at the self-checkout station to deal with the inevitable issues.

It won't be that big a hit.

I remembered working at Wal-Mart in the late 90s. Every department had at least two people assigned specifically to it. I imagine specialization won't be a thing anymore. You're not a stocker, or a cashier, or a department representative. You're a Target employee, and you'll be doing everything.

Have you been to a Target lately? Out of like 25 registers, there's only like 4 of them open. They could barely have any less cashiers if they tried.

This fucking all day. More self-checkout lanes at Target is a good thing.

Bingo. It could be noon on a Saturday and only 4 lanes are open.

That's very, very ambitious. Good for Target.

I'd expect wage inflation to start happening soon for minimum wage workers - very close to full employment, I see now hiring signs everywhere, and my workplace and a bunch of my friends' are chronically understaffed. My city raised the minimum wage for a few months, then had it repealed, but my (chain!) employer has decided to keep pay at its higher level.
At some point the corporations are going to have to raise wages even to attract "unskilled" talent, at least until the next downturn.

kirblar

That's very, very ambitious. Good for Target.

I'd expect wage inflation to start happening soon for minimum wage workers - very close to full employment, I see now hiring signs everywhere, and my workplace and a bunch of my friends' are chronically understaffed. My city raised the minimum wage for a few months, then had it repealed, but my (chain!) employer has decided to keep pay at its higher level.
At some point the corporations are going to have to raise wages even to attract "unskilled" talent, at least until the next downturn.
Aldi is offering 13.50 and Sheetz is offering 12.50 for entry level near my house.

Beartruck

I know its wrong, but I kinda want to be mad here. I left target when they were paying me $8.50, and now im making nearly $15 an hour, so in 2 years their wage will eclipse mine. Kinda makes all my hard work feel meaningless. I mean, they absolutely deserve higher pay, but fuck.

Edit:did the math, im currently still making slightly more now than they will in 2 years(OT da god), and my work conditions are waaaaay better, so i ain't even mad.

kirblar

I know its wrong, but I want to be mad here. I left target when they were paying me $8.50, and now im making nearly $15 an hour, so in 2 years their wage will eclipse mine. Kinda makes all my hard work feel meaningless. I mean, they absolutely deserve higher pay, but fuck.

Edit:did the math, im currently still making slightly more now than they will in 2 years(OT da god), and my work conditions are waaaaay better, so i ain't even mad.
We're really close to full employment, and when that happens, wages (slowly) being to rise across the board.

I know its wrong, but I want to be mad here. I left target when they were paying me $8.50, and now im making nearly $15 an hour, so in 2 years their wage will eclipse mine. Kinda makes all my hard work feel meaningless. I mean, they absolutely deserve higher pay, but fuck.

The good thing about a sizable minimum wage increase is that other employers won't be able to rest on their laurels as easily. It's not a guarantee, but some employers in other sectors of the economy will raise wages slightly just to keep people from considering a job at target instead (maybe it's closer, easier for that particular person, etc.). Think of it as a wage arms race. Even you might benefit from this in the form of a wage increase or some improvement in your benefits. You know what they say about a rising tide and all boats.

Beartruck

The good thing about a sizable minimum wage increase is that other employers won't be able to rest on their laurels as easily. It's not a guarantee, but some employers in other sectors of the economy will raise wages slightly just to keep people from considering a job at target instead (maybe it's closer, easier for that particular person, etc.). Think of it as a wage arms race. Even you might benefit from this in the form of a wage increase or some improvement in your benefits. You know what they say about a rising tide and all boats.
Oh definitely, and in 2 years when this goes into effect im sure I'll be doing better, and even if im not I would never go back working there because of the conditions.

I know its wrong, but I kinda want to be mad here. I left target when they were paying me $8.50, and now im making nearly $15 an hour, so in 2 years their wage will eclipse mine. Kinda makes all my hard work feel meaningless. I mean, they absolutely deserve higher pay, but fuck.

Does it kinda suck? Yeah, but like others said competition for good employees help offset that.

The other aspect is, I went to school for my job and make a pretty good amount above $15 per hour salary. If I had to quit my job and couldn't find something else in my industry, $15 sounds a whole lot better than $8.

Top Bottom