• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Path: Little Red Loli Rape Sim

border

Evander said:
I haven;t bothered to read anything from the advocates of the game, because most;y they just sit around insisting that there is no rape (there is) or that the rape isn't a big deal (it isn't)

My introduction to the concept of the story was from a Game Informer article (http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200901/N09.0129.1833.38390.htm) I was skeptical, but intriughed enough to read up more on the game.

I hink the moment that really cemented my view on the game was reading the following bio off of ToT's page for the Path (http://tale-of-tales.com/ThePath/):
My point being is that you weren't promised the be-end end-all of innovation, yet you say you were. You accuse ToT of hyperbole, but they don't seem to have any extreme claims on their website. Something seems to have triggered this "ALL RULES MUST BE BROKEN" expectation, though I can't say what. How does a character biography really make such a promise, unless you are being disingenuously cynical?

Evander

"industry expert"
Yaweee said:
There's no writing like that bio in the game, though, so I don't think that's particularly fair. And since when have press releases been an accurate representation of whatever they fuck they're trying to sell?

Something is seriously fucking wrong with the people that see everything in the game as a metaphor for child rape. I mean, seriously? The lake? The barbed wire? The power lines? There's about 4 or 5 interpretations of the overall game I've seen, and the "RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE" is only one of them, and it incorporates the fewest pieces of evidence from the game.

Personally, my interpretation is that
each of the wolves represents the dangers of different phases in life.

-Actual monsters (mauled by a wolf)
-Playing where one shouldn't (shocked by the power lines)
-Wandering beyond one's limits (drowning in the lake)
-The allure of the dangerous (loses her leg in a car accident)
-Seduction/manipulation (falling for the older, talented guy)
-Unsafe sex (drunken sex with a love interest)

I'm not convinced that the girls each represent the same woman, but I can understand why people would think that.

Like I said, I don't care if there IS rape in the game. There's rape everywhere (movies, television, music, bible) it really doesn't bug me, as long as it isn't ACTUALLY happening in real life.

As far as the press materials not being an accurate reflection of the game, that usually works in the opposite direction. Games generally aren't as good as they are trumped up to appear. We also aren't talking about a huge studio with lots of money; chances are that a lot of the marketing materials were written by folks who worked on the game (if you want to see something creepy, scroll down this page until you see "Carmen"'s comment about Hans Zantman, the game's technical artist.)

I've seen videos of the gameplay (which you can admit, I'm sure, is really no different from playing the game itself, save that I didn't have to pay for it) and the design of the game feels, to me, like it came from the same mentality as that bio. Whoever put this game together comes off as a little too impressed with themselves for what they've acomplished.

If I was in to the goth aesthetic, I might be able to look past that, but I'm not.

As for whether or not it technically is a game, I would say that if it is calling itself a game, then that is a relevant point. I've never bitched about a lack of content in Linger In Shadows, for instance, because LiG never claimed to have content.

Evander

"industry expert"
border said:
My point being is that you weren't promised the be-end end-all of innovation, yet you say you were. You accuse ToT of hyperbole, but they don't seem to have any extreme claims on their website. Something seems to have triggered this "ALL RULES MUST BE BROKEN" expectation, though I can't say what. How does a character biography really make such a promise, unless you are being disingenuously cynical?

The press releases that I have from ToT were copied and pasted on another forum by some one who received the game's press pack), so I can't properly source them, and as such I wasn't going to post them here (if you want me to, I will, but please don't respond by asking me to prove the source, because as I said, I can't)

The press releases were where I got that attitude from them, as well as my opinion (as a former photographer) on the photographs that they voluntarily chose to send out with the press pack (I'm reading in to those, but seriously, when you send out photographs that look like they belong on myspace, as a professional individual, it does not reflect well, pardon the pun.)

Evander said:
Like I said, I don't care if there IS rape in the game. There's rape everywhere (movies, television, music, bible) it really doesn't bug me, as long as it isn't ACTUALLY happening in real life.

As far as the press materials not being an accurate reflection of the game, that usually works in the opposite direction. Games generally aren't as good as they are trumped up to appear. We also aren't talking about a huge studio with lots of money; chances are that a lot of the marketing materials were written by folks who worked on the game (if you want to see something creepy, scroll down this page until you see "Carmen"'s comment about Hans Zantman, the game's technical artist.)

I've seen videos of the gameplay (which you can admit, I'm sure, is really no different from playing the game itself, save that I didn't have to pay for it) and the design of the game feels, to me, like it came from the same mentality as that bio. Whoever put this game together comes off as a little too impressed with themselves for what they've acomplished.

If I was in to the goth aesthetic, I might be able to look past that, but I'm not.

As for whether or not it technically is a game, I would say that if it is calling itself a game, then that is a relevant point. I've never bitched about a lack of content in Linger In Shadows, for instance, because LiG never claimed to have content.

To be fair I might have come to the same conclusion that you have about this game had I been exposed to some of this stuff before I played it. However, to say the game is bad because you watched a few videos and that's the same as playing it (it isn't), can't get past all the "angst and goth" that you see when looking at the game (I understand this), and the creators seem a bit pretentious (yeah, they might be) is not well founded criticism.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
So, I've been playing a bit of this lately, and I think I really like it. I say "think" because I'm honestly not sure yet - I haven't finished it yet.

What I like most about the game is just the feeling of putting yourself in obvious danger. It's a real twist to be in a position where you have absolutely no defenses, but know that in order to proceed in the game's story, you have to actively court harm. Now, whether or not that's always rape is another question. Some of the girls, I would say there is definitely the implied sexual assault there. Others I'm not so convinced about.

It's not a game that I'd recommend to many people at all, especially more experienced gamers. But for people who don't play a lot of games - my DS obsessed girlfriend, my Peggle obsessed housemate - it seems to illicit a very positive response.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
uhh is there a real thread for The Path, or is this really it?

played some of it last night, but based on some of the posts, i don't want to read through this thread.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
alistairw said:
It's a real twist to be in a position where you have absolutely no defenses, but know that in order to proceed in the game's story, you have to actively court harm.

The ending of
Prince of Persia
is like this.

Slacker

So I hope this thread is official enough to bump. I checked out the Prologue demo thing last night, and I'm confused. I wandered the girl around the forest for a while, collected a few flowers, then hit grandma's house. Was something supposed to happen? I wandered for at least 30-45 minutes and didn't find anything to trigger any kind of event.

Sorry if this has been discussed, I didn't want to read the thread too closely and get spoiled on the off chance I end up getting the game.

John

Two girls down so far. I realize that, at least so far, The Path a tad light on literal substance (though I enjoy the fleshing out of the girls' personas via their journal entries, and the speculation the game encourages the player to engage in), there's no denying the beautiful, entrancing audiovisual experience that the game lulls you into. It's got style.

Nasreddin

Wow, this has to be the worst thread, I ever read on GAF. Horrible OP.

I think The Path is interesting. I like the mood created in the game and that there are few challenging gameplay elements. This makes The Path an relaxing while still stimulating experience.

What I didn't like is all the wandering in the woods. The exploration doesn't seem to be guided at all. I had problems to find places where you can interact with the world. So for me the game got a little bit boring after playing with the first two girls.

John

Nasreddin said:
Wow, this has to be the worst thread, I ever read on GAF. Horrible OP.

I think The Path is interesting. I like the mood created in the game and that there are few challenging gameplay elements. This makes The Path an relaxing while still stimulating experience.

What I didn't like is all the wandering in the woods. The exploration doesn't seem to be guided at all. I had problems to find places where you can interact with the world. So for me the game got a little bit boring after playing with the first two girls.
If you follow the wispy imagery that forms on the borders of your screen, you'll find places of interest. Also, if you collect a certain number of those sparkling flowers as a girl, an icon on your map will take you directly to one of her special items. As you go through girls, exponentially more flowers show up.

I finished this yesterday, definitely enjoyed the game as a whole. The pace accelerates as you learn how to play, and where everything is (hint: most of the wolves are on the north end of the forest, if you want to just get through it).

The game's convincingly disturbing, and I wish more was made of the twist at the end.

There's also a pretty bad batch of bad writing when playing as Robin, such as this:

20pu3jd.jpg

Kids don't downplay themselves like this, guys. They (and pretty much everyone, really) refuse to admit that anything is outside their capacity of understanding. They also aren't proud of being children; the infatuation with the romantic image of childhood as a blissful, whimsical, carefree stage of life is held only by adults. Yet that's how children are written so often in games. It's kind of embarrassing.

Also, it's suggested that only one girl was raped.

Top Bottom