• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Tashi0106 said:
yea there are a lot of "bad" generals out there. I've beat up on Generals and just couldn't help but wonder how on Earth they legitimately got their General.

Tell me about it.

I had to win 4000 games to get mine.

Edit: IV.

alisdair

In the members-only Bungie.net Atlas group forum, Shishka writes:
In January, we're going to have a temporary playlist themed for CTF. Ideally, every map variant in the playlist will be made by you guys.

So get to it! Variants for either Multi or Single Flag are cool. Just make sure your variants support the gametypes currently in Matchmaking. Good luck!
Pretty rad idea: combining the awesomeness of Team Flag with community maps. I hope this works out, although there seems to be a very small number of map submissions so far.

Any GAFfers have a CTF map or map idea? Eazy, I think you should submit Smalhalla for CTF Classic.

EazyB

Banned
alisdair said:
Any GAFfers have a CTF map or map idea? Eazy, I think you should submit Smalhalla for CTF Classic.
Sadly Smalhalla (and all my maps) take advantage of the infinite money glitch and IIRC they don't accept those for matchmaking. It's a shame because almost all of the awesome Foundry forged maps I've played use this glitch with the exception of the spartanly bare MLG maps.

Really excited to see what the Shiska rounds up though, only one thing gets me hotter than the sound of a CTF playlist on custom maps
a CTF playlist on custom maps with BR starts.

I may submit The Best Map
(Default Valhalla with a chopper on each side)

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
alisdair said:

Pretty rad idea: combining the awesomeness of Team Flag with community maps. I hope this works out, although there seems to be a very small number of map submissions so far.

Here you go, Juices.

Let the creative variants flow like water from a raging river.

alisdair

Unfortunately, Shishka has said that the maps should work with gametypes already in matchmaking. So no 300% speed, no shield, sniper spawn gametypes from juices :(

MIMIC

Banned
Still rollin in snipers :D

A General on the other team had 24 kills (12 head shots) and is dangerously good. He sniped me a bajillion times so I try to avoid squaring off with him. :lol

With less than a minute left, the score is tied 49-49. The General is rushing my team since he knows that he good. But for this one moment, I was better. He spins around and he's in my scope. There's only enough time for him to see me mouth "payback".

BOOM! Headshot! 50-49 :D

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
alisdair said:

Hmm, Blood's Arabella could work great here; truly one of the best symmetrical maps so he can just add a Flag to each base.

But also time for me to get started on a Flag map. :D

EazyB

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Hmm, Blood's Arabella could work great here; truly one of the best symmetrical maps so he can just add a Flag to each base.

But also time for me to get started on a Flag map. :D
You'd be surprised what multiflag can do to an otherwise great map. You really have to think about the distance and path from base to base and where the players from each team spawn when the flag's at home and away.

My main concern for a map shaped like Arabella would be players b-lining to the other base and only having to to walk a very short distance to get back. Players on the away team wouldn't spawn behind the base or to the side but between both bases.

What I'm saying is we should get some custom games going :D

fin

alisdair said:

Good news. Community maps should add some more variety. I'm going to submit some maps as well. What about the geometry glitch, are those OK. Do the MLG maps use that glitch?

EazyB said:
What I'm saying is we should get some custom games going :D

If you guys ever need an extra dude send me an invite. I should be online after work, 4.5 hours from now...

EazyB

Banned
fin said:
Good news. Community maps should add some more variety. I'm going to submit some maps as well. What about the geometry glitch, are those OK. Do the MLG maps use that glitch?
Yeah, the glitch should be fine because the MLG maps use it. But do make sure you don't interlock too many objects in the same space or there will be performance issues.

alisdair

fin said:
Good news. Community maps should add some more variety. I'm going to submit some maps as well. What about the geometry glitch, are those OK.
Yep. There's a list of things which are acceptable:
Overlapping Geometry (sometimes called "geomerging" or "interlocking"). This includes multiple Forge objects spawning in shared space so that they appear to be "fused," or objects that have been partially pushed outside of the environment. Keep in mind that if your overlapping geometry looks bad, it can result in your submission being rejected.

Shishka

Works for Bungie
fin said:

Overlapping geometry, and geometry that intersects with the environment is fine. This also includes using colored powerups that intersect with objects as landmarks. The only glitches that you must avoid are tricks that "break" Forge's budget, such that you can place more objects than the budget would otherwise allow.

I started the CTF entry over a month ago to see what kind of content I could get if I provided a focus for aspiring map makers. The results have been... Unfortunate. To put it frankly, I don't believe enough variants of that meet the quality bar. Anvil was a good experiment for me in that it gave a me a template for gauging community reaction to non-standard map variants, so I get to mix that in with my own results from examining and testing maps as I can round them up.

GAF's a bit familiar with this. Your time on favorites should have taught you what to expect when someone doesn't like your submission. ;)

I digress. We will likely not do a week-long CTF playlist with community variants because I don't believe there are a sufficient number of successful map variants to build such a list. Instead, it's looking like Team Objective is going to become strictly a Flag and Assault hopper, and I'll build up its lineup by adding a couple community variants every month.

EazyB

Banned
Shishka said:
Instead, it's looking like Team Objective is going to become strictly a Flag and Assault hopper, and I'll build up its lineup by adding a couple community variants every month.
Sounds like TO will be an awesome playlist, hopefully it'll attract enough people in there so we can find matches more easily. Now just take Territories, land grap, and vip out of Social Skirmish and replace them with KotH and oddball :D

EazyB said:
Sounds like TO will be an awesome playlist, hopefully it'll attract enough people in there so we can find matches more easily. Now just take Territories, land grap, and vip out of Social Skirmish and replace them with KotH and oddball :D

I think a hopper that is strictly flag and assault will see a lot more traffic than team objective currently has. This is definitely good news.

Edit: The tricky think about taking out VIP and territories is how do we play them our token once a night :p

EazyB

Banned
Captain Blood said:
I think a hopper that is strictly flag and assault will see a lot more traffic than team objective currently has. This is definitely good news.
Hmm, I was under the impression that TO had garbage like VIP, territories and land grab in it but according to this it didn't. I actually like the current setup better because now the only place you can find team KotH and Oddball is in MLG. Do you think the majority of the community hate these two gametypes so much so that they'll flock back once they're gone? I doubt it.

Captain Blood said:
Edit: The tricky think about taking out VIP and territories is how do we play them our token once a night :p
Luckily we'll always be able to find these gametypes in BTB.

Jironimo

Neo Member
A NEW CHAPTER IN THE “HALO” FRANCHISE, “HALO WARS,” AVAILABLE AT U.S. RETAILERS ON MARCH 3

Get suited up and ready for deployment! On March 3, “Halo Wars,” the action-based strategy game set in the iconic “Halo” universe and created exclusively for Xbox 360, will be available in stores nationwide. Internationally, “Halo Wars” will be available on the following dates:

Japan and Asia Pacific: Feb. 26
EMEA: Feb. 27
Americas (US, Canada, Mexico and South America): March 3

Pre-orders for “Halo Wars” are taking place at participating retailers nationwide now. Fans who pre-order will receive an exclusive in-game Warthog with flame decals. The Limited Collector’s Edition is also available and includes a special in-game “Honor Guard” Wraith, a graphic novel, six Leader cards and a “Spirit of Fire” patch. As an additional exclusive, LCE owners will get early access to the in-game “Halo 3” Mythic Map Pack for exciting new multiplayer action.

The Limited Collector’s Edition retails for an estimated retail price of $79.99, while the standard edition is available at $59.99. A first for a “Halo” franchise game, “Halo Wars” is rated “T” for Teen.

More information on “Halo Wars” can be found online at www.Xbox.com/HaloWars or www.HaloWars.com.
So there's an official launch date, and interestingly the US gets this game a whole 6 days after Japan/Asia and even after Europe.

Did I mention I'm not getting this?!

EazyB said:
Hmm, I was under the impression that TO had garbage like VIP, territories and land grab in it but according to this it didn't. I actually like the current setup better because now the only place you can find team KotH and Oddball is in MLG. Do you think the majority of the community hate these two gametypes so much so that they'll flock back once they're gone? I doubt it.

Luckily we'll always be able to find these gametypes in BTB.

I like KotH and Oddball but I think the meat and potatoes of Halo Objective is Flag. I guess it is just what I enjoy the most. I don't think people will flock to the playlist because KotH and Oddball are out. I also was under the assumption that VIP and territories were in TO so I guess that shows how little we play it. I would bet a lot of people will check it out for the community varients sprinkled in. I do wonder if the community maps were part of the reason for dropping KotH and Oddball. Shishka said they were having problems finding quality maps and I wonder how many of the few quality maps were designed for gametypes other than slayer and Flag/assault. Either way I bet
hope
there is a noticeable Objective increase.

Thermite

Come the fuck on. Just how long are we going to have to wait to play these maps? The people who buy Halo Wars will more than likely have a couple week exclusive period with the maps, so at the earliest, we're looking at late March/early April!? This is so fucking lame.. :(

Jironimo said:
So there's an official launch date, and interestingly the US gets this game a whole 6 days after Japan/Asia and even after Europe.

Did I mention I'm not getting this?!
March 3rd? Aw man.

Can't wait for the game and to be able to play the new maps!

TDG

Banned
Jesus Christ. Such bullshit. By this point in Halo 2's lifespan there were 21 maps, all free and required for matchmaking. Right now there are 14, god only knows if the Legendary maps will ever be free or required, and the distribution of the remaining maps will be even more fucked up. This is just idiotic.

Fuck Halo Wars, and fuck MS. I'm not buying that shit even if it's winning awards left and right. Why should I, to support the developer? Oh wait, MS shut them down.

EDIT: Dax's blind enthusiasm beat my blind outrage. :(

EazyB

Banned
TDG said:
Jesus Christ. Such bullshit. By this point in Halo 2's lifespan there were 21 maps, all free and required for matchmaking. Right now there are 14, god only knows if the Legendary maps will ever be free or required, and the distribution of the remaining maps will be even more fucked up. This is just idiotic.

Fuck Halo Wars, and fuck MS. I'm not buying that shit even if it's winning awards left and right. Why should I, to support the developer? Oh wait, MS shut them down.

EDIT: Dax's blind enthusiasm beat my blind anger. :(
This.

It's really incredible to think that Halo 2 had a stronger stream of content than Halo 3 even though DLC has become much more mainstream and the 360's marketplace is widely successful. Only a perfect storm of bullshit could result in something like this.

alisdair

EazyB said:
Do you think the majority of the community hate [King and Ball] so much so that they'll flock back once they're gone? I doubt it.
Likewise. Maybe Shishka knows something we don't, though! Perhaps people play Team Objective until Oddball comes up once, then they never play again.

Just my opinion, but I don't play Team Objective because I don't really like any of the gametypes. The flags return far too slowly for 4v4, there are asymmetric gametypes on symmetric maps, way too many AR starts, no classic CTF. I find it frustrating instead of either competitive (MLG) or fun (RBTB back in the day).

I'd like to see a Team Flag playlist with fixed gametypes and maps. There are too many stupid combinations at the moment---One Flag on Standoff? Really?

Have the flag either reset after 15 seconds (Multi-Flag), touch returns after 3 seconds and is home-to-score (Classic), or touch returns after 10 seconds (One Flag). Have Multi-Flag on the big maps, CTF Classic on the small ones, and One Flag on the asymmetrical ones. Something like:

- Multi-Flag BRs (30%, Pit, Narrows, Valhalla, Rat's Nest)
- CTF Classic (30%, Onslaught, Isolation, Boundless)
- One Flag (40%, Last Resort, High Ground, Ghost Town, Blackout, Guardian)

Would be awesome, no? Why not do that instead?

GhaleonEB

TDG said:

Your anger is not blind. Let us be angry together. Thus:

It speaks volumes of Microsoft's confidence in their first non-Bungie Halo game that they have to bundle in Halo 3 content - held back many months for this purpose. First they shut down the developer and then bundle Halo 3 content to ride Bungie's coattails. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Halo Wars customers are buying a shitburger, at least as far as multiplayer goes - which is why they'll turn to Bungie's content in that department. It's a dinner bell ringing, hoping Halo fans will come and get it.

In the meantime, actual Halo fans, the ones who bought the game and are active in the community and are buying the DLC, get screwed over, for a little while at least. But bigger picture, the entire Halo 3 community and matchmaking population is fragmented and Bungie has a host of very hard decisions to make about how to integrate their content across a fragmented playlist environment. And Bungie will get grief over it, despite their hands being tied.

TDG said:

That's an extremely stupid reason not to buy a game. If I were the guys at Ensemble, I would be disappointed that you didn't buy the last game I made simply because you don't agree with something the publisher has done.

Dirtbag

TDG said:

I'll buy the game used if it's a killer app, but MS won't see one cent of my money on this one.. more-over, I'm never buying a special edition of a game again (this was actually decided at the time of the cat helmet edition - they never suckered me on that plastic monstrosity). A special edition would have to come with either a blowjob or superbowl ticket before I'm going to smile and order one again.

Dax01 said:
That's an extremely stupid reason not to buy a game. If I were the guys at Ensemble, I would be disappointed that you didn't buy the last game I made simply because you don't agree with something the publisher has done.
Sometimes doing the right thing takes personal sacrifice.

EazyB

Banned
Dax01 said:
:lol
"guys at Ensemble"
cjelly said:
I'll buy Halo Wars LCE just to see MS pull the same shit again and to watch the fans' outrage.
You think Bungie is happy about this? They're going to make sure they're not trapped like like again. Their future products on new IPs will not be owned by MS so they'll have a lot more say into what happens with content distribution.

Thermite

cjelly said:
I'll buy Halo Wars LCE just to see MS pull the same shit again and to watch the fans' outrage.

cjelly
will gladly bend over and grab ankles for Microsoft
(Today, 04:03 PM)
Reply | Quote

Jironimo

Neo Member
Dirtbag said:
I'll buy the game used if it's a killer app, but MS won't see one cent of my money on this one.. more-over, I'm never buying a special edition of a game again (this was actually decided at the time of the cat helmet edition - they never suckered me on that plastic monstrosity). A special edition would have to come with either a blowjob or superbowl ticket before I'm going to smile and order one again.
It's not the Halo Wars title that bothers me, or the price of the special edition. I don't care, people had a choice to buy the Legendary edition and they still had the ability to participate in games with their friends. It's truly unforgivable to me that the maps have been hoarded, and you know if MS had handled this well and quickly released the content Bungie would have probably been motivated to continue making DLC content.

I'm soooooo furious right now.

ShinAmano

Dirtbag said:
I'd tip 15% for that.

:lol at the Bungle Defense force...

Seriously though why are all of you pessimistic about Halo Wars? The game looks amazing.

Question: Can you play as the Flood in Halo Wars, if that's the case then how can the game be bad?

EazyB

Banned
UltimaPooh said:
:lol at the Bungle Defence force...

Seriously though why are all of you pessimistic about Halo Wars? The game looks amazing.

Question: Can you play as the Flood in Halo Wars, if that's the case then how can the game be bad?
Holy mother of God, people and their reading comprehension these days.

Besides the interesting points Ghaleon brought up:
GhaleonEB said:
Your anger is not blind. Let us be angry together. Thus:

It speaks volumes of Microsoft's confidence in their first non-Bungie Halo game that they have to bundle in Halo 3 content - held back many months for this purpose. First they shut down the developer and then bundle Halo 3 content to ride Bungie's coattails. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Halo Wars customers are buying a shitburger, at least as far as multiplayer goes - which is why they'll turn to Bungie's content in that department. It's a dinner bell ringing, hoping Halo fans will come and get it.
No one is hating on the game Halo Wars. Many are upset at how MS has chosen to distribute Bungie's content with the game. It benefits no one other than MGS's pockets.

The flood aren't playable in Halo Wars. They'll be in the campaign as well as sort of an "environmental factor" on certain MP maps.

kylej

Banned
alisdair said:
- Multi-Flag BRs (30%, Pit, Narrows, Valhalla, Rat's Nest)
- CTF Classic (30%, Onslaught, Isolation, Boundless)
- One Flag (40%, Last Resort, High Ground, Ghost Town, Blackout, Guardian)

Would be awesome, no? Why not do that instead?

Um Rocket Race and Grifball weekends come first.

alisdair

Dax01 said:
I get to play a new game and three new Halo maps. That's a benefit for me.
But if they hadn't purposely delayed them, the maps would be out now, and you could already be playing them. Then you could play Halo Wars next year. That's a benefit for all of us!

EazyB said:

God Eazy is awesome!
No one is hating on the game Halo Wars. Many are upset at how MS has chosen to distribute Bungie's content with the game. It benefits no one other than MGS's pockets.

I understand the frustration behind that and it's legitimate. I was mostly commenting on what Ghaleon said in the same quote you posted...
GhaleonEB said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Halo Wars customers are buying a shitburger, at least as far as multiplayer goes

He seems to think that the game will suck, at least in the multiplayer department and he surmises that, that is the reaosn for the pack in Halo 3 content.

What I was aksing was why he thinks the multiplayer will suck outside of the fact that the Halo 3 content is being packed in.
The flood aren't playable in Halo Wars. They'll be in the campaign as well as sort of an "environmental factor" on certain MP maps.

That's a letdown. Still I'm highly interested in the game.

alisdair said:
But if they hadn't purposely delayed them, the maps would be out now, and you could already be playing them.

I'm not going to waste my time dwelling on what could have been. There's no point to it.

He seems to think that the game will suck, at least in the multiplayer department and he surmises that, that is the reaosn for the pack in Halo 3 content.

What I was aksing was why he thinks the multiplayer will suck outside of the fact that the Halo 3 content is being packed in.
Not to mention that it seems people in this thread aren't buying the game because of this.

GhaleonEB

EazyB said:

Besides the interesting points Ghaleon brought up:

And to add to that:

I am not hoping Halo Wars is bad. What I've seen of it (such as the demo at PAX) actually left me somewhat optimistic. It looks like it might be pretty good. But I'm a very cautious consumer, and the signals Microsoft has sent - closing Ensemble, adding in Halo 3 content - make me very cautious about the game content. Those tea leaves make me think Microsoft is not confident in Halo Wars. I hope it is an excellent game, and more over if it is an excellent game, that it sells well. If anyone actually hopes it sucks, they should be smacked in the head.

As a Halo (and Bungie) fan, and having seen Microsoft's escalating experimental milking of the Halo brand over the years, I expected to be bent over for DLC on the Mythic map pack. I'm fine with that; the first two packs rocked, so I knew I'd get my space bucks worth. But I do get irked at having the new DLC content tethered to entire new products, and delayed six months to a year, rather than actually released as DLC (as originally intended). I mean, I bought the cat helmet edition. So in some sense this is my fault. But I thought that would lead to MS going nuts with the Halo Wars LE in ways that didn't impact my current Halo 3 experience. There may be an element of karma here. But it's not unbridled rage I'm expressing, it's annoyance and cynicism. I wants me maps, that's all.

EazyB

Banned
Dax01 said:
It benefits me because I get to play a new game, as well as three new Halo maps.
Sigh...
Coupling CE Halo Wars with the maps sorta gives the CE of Halo Wars extra value for those planning on buying it. But there is no reason those maps can't be released simultaneously on XBLMP so that those who can't afford the CE or who aren't interesting it Halo Wars can get the maps. This does not take away any value from the Halo Wars CE if the person buying was actually doing so because they were interested in all its contents yet allows others to get the maps without spending $70 on content they don't want.

I really can't imagine how thick one would have to be not to see this as an obvious play by MS to get those who aren't interested in Halo Wars to buy it because they like Halo 3. The Crackdown thing was iffy because it too was linked to a MS product but this is different because those buying the $80 Halo Wars aren't simply getting a sneak peak at unfinished work (like the Halo 3 beta) but instead they're getting finished content that's been ready (and been held back) for months.

TDG

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
In the meantime, actual Halo fans, the ones who bought the game and are active in the community and are buying the DLC, get screwed over, for a little while at least. But bigger picture, the entire Halo 3 community and matchmaking population is fragmented and Bungie has a host of very hard decisions to make about how to integrate their content across a fragmented playlist environment. And Bungie will get grief over it, despite their hands being tied.
I couldn't have said it better.

Dax01 said:
Well, considering that you complained so bitterly about people judging your buying decisions back when you first proclaimed that you can't wait to buy Halo Wars, it's strange to see you indulging in such open hypocrisy.

Also, what guys at Ensemble are you referring to? The "non-essential" staff who got fired by MS in August, or the "essential" staff who're getting fired by MS once the game ships? Just curious.

UltimaPooh said:
:lol at the Bungle Defence force...
What are you talking about? Who's defending Bungie? (And for that matter, who are they defending Bungie against?)

vhfive

not this shit again

attempts to derail:

stroy time
this motherfucker is so dead
166iqs1.jpg

success?
2zxs2fc.jpg

fail
30u6ah1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.