• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

Wait for the next buy. Don't sell at loss, don't buy yet.

hgv9El3.png

ZOONAMI

Coinbase is just down for maintenance right?

Edit: I see it's because of too much traffic/trading volume.

I just bought some ether on there this morning and hadn't yet transferred because I was thinking of switching from Exodus to myetherwallet

As long as it's still there when they are back up

Just bought another $50USD in ETH, bringing me up to having put $200USD into things. I think that's about as much as I can spare for it right now.

When do you think the buy should occur? End of the week to let things settle or maybe sooner than that?
We are already past the buy point for making compound profit. If you want to stay for the long term, just buy whenever it shouldn't matter too much in the long run. Next point will be sell for compound interest, which is of no use if you don't already have some Eth.

P2EZqWc.png

We are already past the buy point for making compound profit. If you want to stay for the long term, just buy whenever it shouldn't matter too much in the long run. Next point will be sell for compound interest, which is of no use if you don't already have some Eth.

P2EZqWc.png
Good points. I'm definitely in for the long term. I appreciate your input

I just want to double check something in regards to my ETH wallet before I send my coinbase balance there.

So I have my wallet downloaded to my machine, I have its address (0x...) and password and private key securely stored.

Now I can send my ETH to my address and then it will for all intents and purposes be tied to that address. I do not need to re-download my wallet or anything and as long as I have all the access files and keys I am good to go right?

Zeronax

I just want to double check something in regards to my ETH wallet before I send my coinbase balance there.

So I have my wallet downloaded to my machine, I have its address (0x...) and password and private key securely stored.

Now I can send my ETH to my address and then it will for all intents and purposes be tied to that address. I do not need to re-download my wallet or anything and as long as I have all the access files and keys I am good to go right?

Yep, that's correct. Your address is a public key so you can share that with others to receive payment. Every transaction is recorded on that address on the blockchain so any software wallet you download can access it wherever you are.

I found a succinct video that explains how the blockchain works and hopes this guy makes another video for Ethereum!

Orca

Told friends to get into Ethereum about three-four months ago after being in Jasper for the weekend and talking to some women who worked for a German bank. Talk came around to cryptocurrency and I had just heard about Ethereum the week prior so I mentioned it. They were surprised I'd heard of it, but said their bank was going to move on it with the belief it would surpassing bitcoin within the year.

When I got home I put $5,000 (Canadian) into it at ~$45. A couple weeks later a friend put $100 in at $68. A month later another friend finally bought in $200 at ~$215. If/when it crosses $1,000 I'll probably pull out my initial $5,000 and sit on the rest.

I missed out on bitcoin when a friend was pushing me over and over to get in on it when it was sub-$100. I didn't get it, and didn't bother trying to understand why it was so meaningful. Don't intend to get caught like that again.

You do realize that buying and selling at these times would barely had made any profits?
But buying and not selling would have made a loss on that graph.

If you calculate the increased value of every rebuy at a lower price at least some nice profit was made.

Krakatoa

Does it cost money to send funds to your wallet from exchanges (coinbase)? Also what wallet are people using for ETH? I'm thinking about using Exodus.

Does it cost money to send funds to your wallet from exchanges (coinbase)? Also what wallet are people using for ETH? I'm thinking about using Exodus.

Kraken charges me 0.00500 ETH to send to my personal wallet

I have been using myetherwallet, really simple and easy to use

sunofsam

Is siacoin still a good investment at this point?
There's a new one that popped up, ECC coin
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1006830.msg10926361#msg10926361

I was just about to post a recommendation to buy ECC (E-Currency Coin)

ECC is a direct competitor of Siacoin with strong dev support that is just getting rolling and is only 30 satoshis right now.

Unbelievable ground-floor buying opportunity here.

This coin is not a day trade, IMO. Realize that this coin can either go to zero or to 10+ cents, making an investment now worth tens to hundreds of thousands.

Buy now, place in the wallet, and come back daily, weekly, monthly for the next few months and check on it.

Keep up with the dev progress and listings on new exchanges. Each new update will bring higher prices.

Spread the word with each new event (development milestone, new wallet upgrades, getting added to a new exchange etc.) and encourage getting in while the getting's good.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this coin break the 1 cent threshold sometime this year or early next.

Right now, the only place to pick it up is https://www.coinexchange.io/

Has had recent volume higher than many Poloniex coins ---- this is a mindblowingly cheap coin with huge potential

Tk0n

ECC is a direct competitor of Siacoin with strong dev support that is just getting rolling and is only 30 satoshis right now.

This coin is not a day trade, IMO. Realize that this coin can either go to zero or to 10+ cents, making an investment now worth tens to hundreds of thousands.

Buy now, place in the wallet, and come back daily, weekly, monthly for the next few months and check on it.

Keep up with the dev progress and listings on new exchanges. Each new update will bring higher prices.

Spread the word with each new event (development milestone, new wallet upgrades, getting added to a new exchange etc.) and encourage getting in while the getting's good.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this coin break the 1 cent threshold sometime this year or early next.

Has had recent volume higher than many Poloniex coins ---- this is a mindblowingly cheap coin with huge potential

I think ecc is a classic pump and dump at the moment. It might have been a opportunity a week ago. But if you invest now, i predict you lose half your money short therm.

Oh and your post is a 1:1 copy of a reddit post promoting this stuff.

sunofsam

I think ecc is a classic pump and dump at the moment. It might have been a opportunity a week ago. But if you invest now, i predict you lose half your money short therm.

Yup - lets keep the shilling to 4chan.

Yup - lets keep the shilling to 4chan.

Fair enough --- we will see. Figured I'd pass the word on here for fellow GAFers to do their own due diligence.

Yes, in the near-term it could lose 80% of value again quickly. It could also jump up 10x further and stay there solidly as it is added to more exchanges and is further developed.

Crypto speculation is not for the faint-hearted. We'll see how this coin looks in October --- in the meantime, I encourage you to look into it further and to see if there is real weight to your claim that it is a classic pump n dump (scam). I don't see a scam coin here, but I could be wrong.

InertiaXr

All these exchanges are confusing to me, is there anywhere I can buy various coins with money straight off my debit card like I can on coinbase? Gemini? Bitfinex? I have some BTC and ETH on coinbase I'm reading I should move off to....somewhere else? Those sites above, or a 'wallet'?

Golem up 31% today so far, likely as a result of Serena Williams' fiance's comments: https://twitter.com/alexisohanian/status/874545875829129216.

Current price of GNT:
https://coinmarketcap.com/assets/golem-network-tokens/

Of course this doesn't mean anything until the project actually releases something.

It's certainly interesting news, I'm long term very bullish on Golem, we'll see how Brass is, but I'm excited to use it personally as well as seeing it take off.

All these exchanges are confusing to me, is there anywhere I can buy various coins with money straight off my debit card like I can on coinbase? Gemini? Bitfinex? I have some BTC and ETH on coinbase I'm reading I should move off to....somewhere else? Those sites above, or a 'wallet'?

If it's confusing you should spend some more time researching, be careful! Try out using shapeshift to convert coins.

From your post I understand you haven't delved too much into the cryptomarket; so I have a suggestion for you: stay as far as you can from those 'various' coins. Most of them are scams and you will lose all your money if you don't put stop orders

sunofsam

Fair enough --- we will see. Figured I'd pass the word on here for fellow GAFers to do their own due diligence.

Yes, in the near-term it could lose 80% of value again quickly. It could also jump up 10x further and stay there solidly as it is added to more exchanges and is further developed.

Crypto speculation is not for the faint-hearted. We'll see how this coin looks in October --- in the meantime, I encourage you to look into it further and to see if there is real weight to your claim that it is a classic pump n dump (scam). I don't see a scam coin here, but I could be wrong.

Website looks janky, no social media links on it.

Looks like the dev woke up and realized alt-coins are making bank again.

I'm in!

Just to elaborate how a coin scam works.

1. There is this coin IOTA which just started exchanging on Bitfinex today.

2. Right now it sits at the price of $0.635 per coin.

3. The circulating supply is 2,779,530,283 coins [which is what the number iota is; the namesake of the coin]

4. That puts the total market at the whopping amount of ~650,000 bitcoins, ~$2 billion on the first day of exchange.

5. The ICO (initial coin offer), which didn't happen long ago, was for a total of 500 bitcoins. That means all of those 2,779,530,283 coins were sold to the initial founders for only 500 BTC.

6. That means since the ICO till the first public exchange, the value of the coin has risen X1300 times.

Of course, not everyone buys into these scams and if you go to bitfinex, the largest purchase orders are at the price of $0.00001 per coin or less. Technical speaking IoTA is interesting and worth of investment, but not for $2 billion dollars. 2 million is a much more appropriate valuation for a fledgling technology.

disclaimer: I am an idiot and have actually bought some of this coin lol I'll be pulling out after I have increased my initial investment by 10% or if the coin loses more than 5% of its initial value that I bought.

Brandson

I feel like ETH is about to dip at any moment, but I'm too chicken to act on it. Just posting this for posterity I guess.

InertiaXr

From your post I understand you haven't delved too much into the cryptomarket; so I have a suggestion for you: stay as far as you can from those 'various' coins. Most of them are scams and you will lose all your money if you don't put stop orders

Correct lol, I only have some BTC and ETH for now. I just wanted to look into blowing like $50 each on a bunch of other random coins, if I lose it all oh well but fun to watch. Seems like the best idea right now is to just keep buying ETH and hold onto them for a while/couple months+?

Brandson

Just to elaborate how a coin scam works.

This explains why I have been avoiding all ICOs so far. If the ICO is capped, it sells out instantly, and gets flipped for a profit, before crashing. If the ICO is uncapped, the founders raise a stupidly large amount of money themselves, and then it crashes. There doesn't seem to be a benefit for participating in the ICO itself at this point. Although I have my eye on a couple upcoming crypto coins that appear legit and could be amazing down the line, buying in the ICO seems like a disaster waiting to happen. The full potential of a new cryptocurrency is not realized right after the ICO, so my strategy might be just to wait to see how the ICOs I'm interested in shake out, and then if I still think the coins look good after a month or two, buy some once they have leveled off in trading.

Correct lol, I only have some BTC and ETH for now. I just wanted to look into blowing like $50 each on a bunch of other random coins, if I lose it all oh well but fun to watch. Seems like the best idea right now is to just keep buying ETH and hold onto them for a while/couple months+?
I would say so. Hold onto ether. You will not become a millionaire in a month, but at least it won't completely crash overnight.

This explains why I have been avoiding all ICOs so far. If the ICO is capped, it sells out instantly, and gets flipped for a profit, before crashing. If the ICO is uncapped, the founders raise a stupidly large amount of money themselves, and then it crashes. There doesn't seem to be a benefit for participating in the ICO itself at this point. Although I have my eye on a couple upcoming crypto coins that appear legit and could be amazing down the line, buying in the ICO seems like a disaster waiting to happen. The full potential of a new cryptocurrency is not realized right after the ICO, so my strategy might be just to wait to see how the ICOs I'm interested in shake out, and then if I still think the coins look good after a month or two, buy some once they have leveled off in trading.
I definitely agree. My advice is to stay away from alt-coins altogether, let alone ICOs. I too am watching some like Tezos, but not willing to invest even $50 dollars there.

Brandson

I definitely agree. My advice is to stay away from alt-coins altogether, let alone ICOs. I too am watching some like Tezos, but not willing to invest even $50 dollars there.

I maybe wouldn't go as far as avoiding all altcoins, since I can see the need for at least some distributed apps to be successful if crypto is really going to succeed as a platform, but I am highly suspicious of the need of many of those apps to have their own proprietary coins.

I feel like people are going to regret participating in this ICO next: https://www.tenx.tech/. Their mobile app and card sound great, but why do they need a billion dollars? Why do they need their own coin at all? More important people than me need to be asking that question of the entire crypto developer community.

Donos

Reading up all weekend and this is all very interesting. And damn at some of the crazy stories but expected where money is to be made (or can be stolen).

Guys, for those new to this space be very wary of:

• Coins that don't have a white paper.
  • Coins with shitty websites and/or descriptions are full of grammatical errors
  • Anything being pumped by 4Chan. Come on people, this is the same community that pumped Donald Trump.
  • Coins that promise to revolutionize the blockchain withou a clear description of how
  • Coins with developers that are anonymous (there are legit coins that have this but they back it up with other stuff)
  • Don't invest in coins just because they're cheap on an absolute level. Cheap is relative. Bitcoin was once $200, given it's price today that is super cheap. If you had a chance to buy Bitcoin at $200 vs ABC Coin at $0.03 in 2010, which would you buy?
  • Coins that describe themselves as being like X but better. It's way easier to make X better than it is to make a penny coin better than X.

There have already been multiple coins being pumped in this thread and the previous one.

IMO, avoid any and all future coins that are trying to be nothing other than currencies. The idea of an internet currency is largely dead and it will never come to fruition regardless of how legit a coin is.

DonMigs85

I have like $100 in siacoin right now. That's probably more predictable at this point than ECC, right? And I also like the fact it's traded on bittrex

Top Bottom