• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Striker

Yeah, no. I don't like Halo 4, but H4's AA are tuned so much better than Reach. Haven could be the only map in Reach and it would be an improvement. The jump height and movement in Reach was a fucking joke. If there's one thing 343 got right, it's the jumping. Reach was a DMR and bloom fest for the majority of it's life. At least we have a BR and if the DMR is fixed in the TU, Reach will be the worst in the Halo franchise bar none.
The AA's in H4 are still very problematic, and the trio of PV/Camo/Jetpack is stronger than ever. Fine tuned how, exactly? They can be game-breaking in many cases with good players.

The jump height is ok, it's still wonky as shit by getting bumped ever so slightly by geometry so much. Strafe is still terrible, and there still seems to be a slight bit of inertia in the movement. All in all, yeah might not be as low as Reach's, but far from ideal.

Bloom... hello flinch. Go away.

Maps, gametypes, and weapons are all leagues above 4.
Gametypes are so crucial. Halo 3 used CTF return settings for 95% of its tenure in MM, Assault was instant and time defused (what a bad combo), 3 Plots got removed, Territories/Land Grab/VIP forced down our throat, then obviously there's Halo 4 that has waypoint CTF, Extraction that's not used without DLC, and King/Oddball that's good on one map. If you like Slayer, you probably love it.

rakka

I've just about had it with join in progress tonight. whether its joining games that are pretty much over or when I finally have a chance to win a game because some terrible teammates quit only to be replaced by just as bad / worse ones.

I made a pretty funny Xbox / Halo-ish 8bit short film. Thought you guys might like it! It's only 1:31 long.

y2Jdqp9l.jpg

Inside of an Xbox

Decided to watch after seeing the good things everyone else had to say, did not regret it.
That needs more views, good stuff.

OT but what a disappointment Aliens Colonial Marines was. Apparently the downfall of this game started with too many developers working on the game without any sense of synergy between each other.

Interesting Annoyed Gamer episode about it. Gearbox only worked on like 25% of it even though it's been touted as their game? IDK man, this industry can be pretty damn shady sometimes..

Halo 3, Halo 3, Halo 3, Halo 3, Halo 3, Halo 3, Halo 3.

Halo 3.
with mods.

OT but what a disappointment Aliens Colonial Marines was. Apparently the downfall of this game started with too many developers working on the game without any sense of synergy between each other.

Interesting Annoyed Gamer episode about it. Gearbox only worked on like 25% of it even though it's been touted as their game? IDK man, this industry can be pretty damn shady sometimes..
Everything I've heard about the game has been disappointing. I would love to play a well done Aliens FPS. There is a ton of potential there.

J10

Banned
I've just about had it with join in progress tonight. whether its joining games that are pretty much over or when I finally have a chance to win a game because some terrible teammates quit only to be replaced by just as bad / worse ones.

You absolutely have to get used to it.

Booties

Banned
The only thing that would be better would be a vehicle ADS. First person would ruin everything. If I could switch between moving the turret quickly and ADS with left trigger I'd be able to shit.

Everything I've heard about the game has been disappointing. I would love to play a well done Aliens FPS. There is a ton of potential there.

No self respecting Alien fan should buy it.

Here is the list of issues I've had in 45 minute, 4 player playthrough.

Right at the beginning, where the marine loads the pulse rifle, as the game starts two of us have an invisible pulse rifle that we can't fire.

The NPC falls of the map.

The NPC somehow dies.

Where you open the door in level 2 with the power loader, one of the guys got in, then somehow exited the power loader, then decided to slide across the room like a slug and die.

We tested this out again, this time when we were shooting the guy in the power loader, he died, but before he did, he walked across the room and did an abrupt backflip, then died.

One of us got stuck in a doorway for a good couple of minutes.

It would teleport people, even if they were right next to each other, I mean WTF?

Numerous AI problems.

Let's not even talk about the huge retcon, that pisses all over the franchises legacy, that 20th century fox thought was alright.

with mods.

I might game on PC again, although I should be anyway..

Yup, especially with that Left 4 Dead-type multiplayer. More games need those kind of modes.

1st person in vehicles would be awful, stop asking for it.

It's third person for a reason. Games that do it in first person (HL2, FC2) do so for immersion reasons over gameplay concerns, but for Halo's playstyle third person is a good thing.

It's all about personal taste. Most people hate first person driving in racing games but then there are those that swear by it. Even games like GTAIV the first person driving had its crowd; it made the driving in that game way more fun IMO.

Say what you want about personal taste, but why not at least have the option? Halo was once a game about tons of choices.. Let the developers limit the players, not the players themselves ;\

No self respecting Alien fan should buy it.

Have you tried the multiplayer? Heard that was at least a tiny bit decent lol

Say what you want about personal taste, but why not at least have the option? Halo was once a game about tons of choices.. Let the developers limit the players, not the players themselves ;\

Have you tried the multiplayer? Heard that was at least a tiny bit decent lol

I wish Halo still gave us Options

Mix

So can we expect a Bungie|OT| or a Destiny|OT| after/during tomorrow?
That would be exciting :)

Elzar, I miss you. What are you playing?

FyreWulff

Fine allow switch between 1st and 3rd person like Battlefield.

It'd be nice they took having different on-foot and vehicle and aircraft controls from Battlefield.

I could probably bet that if you could switch your control scheme dynamically when getting in a hog, a lot of people would switch to Legacy Sticks for driving.

Top Bottom