• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite GAMEBOY soundtracks?

clav

UN99W7U.jpg

P4pSOSY.jpg

Yoshi's Cookie

A lot of memories hearing all the short tunes from single player + multiplayer.

https://youtu.be/nYsBUF5-EJM

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I thought you were talking about that other Smurf GB game, which is also one of my favorites music-wise.

Edit: Hurry-the-fuck-up volcano tune

Oh shit that Volcano track is fucking amazing

Only mentions of Belmont's Revenge?

GAF PLS

https://youtu.be/dJVBh_vkYvs

Oh man, I knew something was missing. Such a shame it went absent in Castlevania Adventure Rebirth, one of the best songs in the entire franchise and it's painfully underused

Edit: Oh, seems it was, they just didn't use it for whatever reason. Oh well at least the track is out there to enjoy.

jb1234

Link's Awakening is the gold standard here. The dungeon themes are brilliant, how they deconstruct the Cave theme.

I also really like the music in the Square games of the time, Final Fantasy Adventure and Final Fantasy Legends 1-2 in particular.

I remember one time my cousins and I went camping.

Long story short we spent the whole time playing the Chamber of Secrets game on the Gameboy so much that when we went to sleep that night the soundtrack was still playing in all of our brains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSeP9lOXVxw

It's probably the nostalgia talking but because of that the CoS soundtrack has had a special place in my heart

Baleoce

Probably between Links' Awakening (Mysterious Forest, and Mt. Tamaranch, amongst many others) and the whole Wario Land OST.

redcrayon

The ones stuck in my mind 20+ years later are the Super Mario Land end credits theme, the Mystic Quest (FF Adventure in NA) title theme, and Ballad of the Wind Fish from Links Awakening. All three of those are incredibly memorable to me, and the last two particularly nostalgic in that just hearing them takes me back to where I was when I played the games.

iplenoid

Neo Member
Wait is this DKC? Was the series renamed in the GB ports? I thought it was on GBA too

Donkey Kong Land games are pretty similar to the DKC games but they aren't exactly ports like the GBA ones.

Mostly the level layouts are different/shorter on the Gameboy games

Wait is this DKC? Was the series renamed in the GB ports? I thought it was on GBA too

It's a bit confusing. The Donkey Kong Land series are entirely new games. The first game tries a bit too hard to be as good looking as DKC, but the second and third games are more mindful of the system's screen and are absolutely worth your time.

There was also a port of DKC to the GBC. It's fantastic that they actually got the game working at all, but it didn't exactly fare very well, and the GBC's screen didn't help matters. It was basically a tiny blurry mess of browns. The GBA ports are much more serviceable ports, if you don't want to play the SNES versions on a 3DS for some reason.

Datschge

It's a bit confusing. The Donkey Kong Land series are entirely new games. The first game tries a bit too hard to be as good looking as DKC, but the second and third games are more mindful of the system's screen and are absolutely worth your time.

There was also a port of DKC to the GBC. It's fantastic that they actually got the game working at all, but it didn't exactly fare very well, and the GBC's screen didn't help matters. It was basically a tiny blurry mess of browns. The GBA ports are much more serviceable ports, if you don't want to play the SNES versions on a 3DS for some reason.
Music wise only the first DKL and the last GBA DKC were notable due to having good original music. All other entries only had butchered ported music.

Top Bottom