• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Red Scarlet

Amir0x said:
Well, I haven't played very much after Crash Course came out, so I couldn't tell you. Right before Crash Course, they were definitely still being used by everyone I know that.

Were they patched in with Crash Course?

I think both of those got patched out before CC..never really saw them, only heard about them. On computer, anyway. But from how it sounded, when CC came out on both, they were both the same, patch-wise I thought.

Well I tried the demo. Maybe 3 to 4 dozen games with strangers and someone tried to grief in every game. Not so bad on normal difficulty but advanced is impossible. Friendly fire, disturbing the witch, and setting off the car alarm every single time in every single game.

The gameplay is great. Love the new weapons, especially the AK. Love the setting and characters. Hate the people I play with.

kai3345

Banned
I <3 Memes said:
Well I tried the demo. Maybe 3 to 4 dozen games with strangers and someone tried to grief in every game. Not so bad on normal difficulty but advanced is impossible. Friendly fire, disturbing the witch, and setting off the car alarm every single time in every single game.

The gameplay is great. Love the new weapons, especially the AK. Love the setting and characters. Hate the people I play with.
Yeah, that definitely didn't happen to me. In probably the 50 games I've played (and I've done all difficulties successfully) I only had one instance of griefing and it was at the end of the demo anyway so its not like it mattered.

Well then I'm happy for you. Every single game I've played on advanced people have disturbed the witch and set off the car alarm on purpose. Not every time on normal but every single time on advanced. It's not just because this is a demo either, it happened with every single game I played on the L4D 1 free weekend.

Playing games only with people in my friends list would help obviously, but still I shouldn't be running into this problem in every single game.

Xdrive05

I <3 Memes said:

You should always go right for Expert. Mostly only the serious players will be on Expert, making things better.

Xdrive05 said:
You should always go right for Expert. Mostly only the serious players will be on Expert, making things better.

That's good advice. I probably would have eventually after i learned the in's and outs of the maps.

squinters

astigmatic
Finally got around to trying the demo. Started on normal and breezed through it. Proceeded to expert and spent the next hour trying to beat the second stage. I don't know if expert's just brutally tough or me and the guys I played with all sucked, but I ended up exiting the game defeated.

During that hour though I did notice some devious scheming on the Director's part. There was this one time when all four of us were in the ally between the two houses, picking off the zombies around that bridge from a distance. All of a sudden the ground turns green and zombies (including a riot cop) were all over us. A Spitter killed all of us in 3 seconds. It was hilarious and sad at the same time

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
left4dead.jpg

Dunno why youre using a screenshot from a Left 4 Dead 1 preview, but eh, whatev :p

Might wait till the game goes on sale, so many games to play ....

I never played Left 4 Dead 1, was gonna jump straight into 2 seen how 1 hasn't really had a price drop round here stupidly and it just seemed smarter saving the money and using it towards the sequel instead.

Am I going to be missing out story wise or anything?

Slavik81

Conrad Link said:
I never played Left 4 Dead 1, was gonna jump straight into 2 seen how 1 hasn't really had a price drop round here stupidly and it just seemed smarter saving the money and using it towards the sequel instead.

No, however, I'd totally recommend buying this:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2188/

If you buy Left4Dead 2, Left4Dead 1 is only $20. It's totally worth it.
EDIT: Well, you're not north american, apparently. But it's still probably cheaper!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Conrad Link said:

They have had a number of sales on it on Steam. Like get it for 15$ sale. Story wise you don't have anything to worry about, you are just missing out on some stellar content.

Stupid question, but this game is 4-player co-op offline as well, right? Could I play with two others in the same room and get a game going online for a fourth person to join?

Xdrive05 said:
I grief all difficulties. And the car alarm and witch count as griefing? That's part of the fun for me. Griefing is refusing to shoot zombies, or using all the med packs on expert to me. You've got to play with more creative griefers.

I also love that Valve thinks they can stop griefers with one way door systems. You're just making it easier to rush by putting that CEDA pod.

Red Scarlet

dragonlife29 said:
Stupid question, but this game is 4-player co-op offline as well, right? Could I play with two others in the same room and get a game going online for a fourth person to join?

It's only up to 2 players + 2 bots offline, unless you can link up 360's or something.
When I played it on 360, it was 2 players only, at least (offline).

So you could probably play online with 2 people where you are + 1 person somewhere else + 1 bot or another person somewhere else.

Either way, I think the most # of human players per console is 2.

Red Scarlet said:
It's only up to 2 players + 2 bots offline, unless you can link up 360's or something.
When I played it on 360, it was 2 players only, at least (offline).

So you could probably play online with 2 people where you are + 1 person somewhere else + 1 bot or another person somewhere else.

Either way, I think the most # of human players per console is 2.

Spot on, it's 2-player splitscreen only, but you can link 2 consoles and have 2 people on each. It's actually totally fun doing that, you really find out who your friends are :lol

Xdrive05

Visualante said:
I grief all difficulties. And the car alarm and witch count as griefing? That's part of the fun for me. Griefing is refusing to shoot zombies, or using all the med packs on expert to me. You've got to play with more creative griefers.

I also love that Valve thinks they can stop griefers with one way door systems. You're just making it easier to rush by putting that CEDA pod.

Well I'm sure your mother is proud.

kai3345

Banned
Yeah my friend and his sister each had an xbox, so we always went over to their house to play survival.

We got 13 minutes on the one level in Dead Air where you have to start that car. Good times.

Ah yeah sorry forgot to mention I was talking 360 version, haven't really been into a PC game hardcore since Battlefield 2, just not a huge PC gamer anymore.

I always meant to play L4D1, it sounds awesome. Definitely wont be missing the maiden voyage of 2 this time at least.

Concept17

Visualante said:

How is this fun?

Visualante said:

wtf dude

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Conrad Link said:
Ah yeah sorry forgot to mention I was talking 360 version, haven't really been into a PC game hardcore since Battlefield 2, just not a huge PC gamer anymore.

I always meant to play L4D1, it sounds awesome. Definitely wont be missing the maiden voyage of 2 this time at least.

I would recommend the PC version. Really.

So yeah, used my 360 wireless controller for the PC demo just for shits n' giggles

...fuck is it terrible. Valve needs to get in contact with Infinity Ward or somethin'

grif1020 said:
I would recommend the PC version. Really.

Seriously, I play alotta games on consoles nowadays (hell just bought Borderlands on PS3 because I prefer it over PC), but Valve releases are ones I just can't

Shambles

It doesn't require a lot of imagination to figure out why griefing is fun, but I guess if everyone understood it wouldn't be nearly so entertaining for griefers. As far as difficulty goes expert is the only way to go. It's easy to spot griefers and you might get TK'd a couple times but after you kick one or two of them you'll find the remaining players are far more dedicated. Besides, normal is easy, advanced should be normal, and expert is more like an advanced mode. When I play anything besides expert it's purely a speed run for me, and if the others want to wander around looking into every dark corner i'll be waiting for them in the safe room.

And what is ghost swatting?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't shoot teammates or "grief" people in general, but I always set off car alarms when they're near the safehouse, it's pretty much a requirement for me. If my teammates don't join me for my last stand, I'm fine with them leaving me for dead if things don't work out for me when they horde comes. Horde + Molotov = Fun.

Shoogoo

No way I'm playing versus with you Amir0x :D. The couple of times I joined your game I always was on the opposite team against you and your mates. My team consisting of randoms trying to kill me from the get go for some obscure reason, the hell?!

Concept17

The best thing you can do for VS in L4D/2 is to add players to your friends list who actually enjoy playing the game properly, and play with them more often. I have a group of about 8 or so people that I can always run games with, and it makes the whole experience that much better.

Amir0x

Banned
Shoogoo said:
No way I'm playing versus with you Amir0x :D. The couple of times I joined your game I always was on the opposite team against you and your mates. My team consisting of randoms trying to kill me from the get go for some obscure reason, the hell?!

hahaha. I feel terrible playing against my friends, I always hold back :lol

Llyranor

After playing the demo, I'm pretty hyped.

I only have the 360 version of L4D1 and love it. The controls are fine, the content is the same, and the game is still tons of fun. I'll be the first to defend the 360 version, as the game is still great.

Though, I'll be picking up the PC version of 2, as the aiming is quite substantially better. I ended up even using the pistol as my main weapon.

I'm purely getting it for the co-op. Not really interested in versus (and really disappointed that the new mode is PvP). I'll be going through the campaigns on advanced and expert, depending on who I play with. And we'll be getting a lot out of expert.

After playing the PC demo, I'll also be trading in 360 L4D1 and pick up the PC version on the next Steam sale (they should have a discounted 4-pack bundle of both 1/2 in one neat package).

Ok guys and gals, added some more info to the OP. Please let me know what else you would like in there, what you think should be cut (if anything), new recommendations for a different title (if you feel there should be one), etc...

feel

vertopci said:
Damn, whats with all the people not liking VS? VS is the meat of the game damn it!
VS is great of course, but it's just that it gets too tense and personal, and knowing that real people are controlling the enemies takes away from the movie like experience, so my friends and I enjoy the campaign coop experience more. We just like to chillax and kill some zombies without the extra pressure of having to outscore real people. This is all personal opinion and I can totally see why most people prefer versus.

vertopci said:
Damn, whats with all the people not liking VS? Campaign is the meat of the game damn it!
Hey, you're right!

LovingSteam said:
Ok guys and gals, added some more info to the OP. Please let me know what else you would like in there, what you think should be cut (if anything), new recommendations for a different title (if you feel there should be one), etc...
Replacing the Left 4 Dead 1 screenshot in the OP would be welcome.

Baha

Llyranor said:
After playing the demo, I'm pretty hyped.

I only have the 360 version of L4D1 and love it. The controls are fine, the content is the same, and the game is still tons of fun. I'll be the first to defend the 360 version, as the game is still great.

Though, I'll be picking up the PC version of 2, as the aiming is quite substantially better. I ended up even using the pistol as my main weapon.

I'm purely getting it for the co-op. Not really interested in versus (and really disappointed that the new mode is PvP). I'll be going through the campaigns on advanced and expert, depending on who I play with. And we'll be getting a lot out of expert.

After playing the PC demo, I'll also be trading in 360 L4D1 and pick up the PC version on the next Steam sale (they should have a discounted 4-pack bundle of both 1/2 in one neat package).

You can buy both L4D1/2 for $64.98 usd on steam atm. You'll be paying $15 for L4D1 that way instead of $30.

Shoogoo

LovingSteam said:

european release date! :O

Top Bottom