• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk about old-school first person dungeon crawlers?

cj_iwakura

Oh nice, it looks great. It was a digital only release in the west, right? Definitely something I'm going to have to pick up!

Yep, unless you're in Europe, but it was ultra limited.

Make sure you patch it, they had a major text glitch in the blacksmith shop.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

Magellan

Neo Member
Old thread, I know, but I really think the content by OP is fantastic and was hoping to get recommendations for similar games on handhelds (psp, ds or 3ds, don't have vita yet unfortunately). I know of EO, SMT, Class of Heroes and Unchained Blades, but was wondering if there were maybe a few other stand outs I might have missed.

How is Unchained Blades? Looks decent.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Shining in the Darkness and Shining the Holy Ark are by far the best first person dungeon crawlers I've played. Can't recommend them enough to fans of the genre.

I've been trying to find a decent first person dungeon crawler on iOS.

Wilsongt

Shining in the Darkness and Shining the Holy Ark are by far the best first person dungeon crawlers I've played. Can't recommend them enough to fans of the genre.

Phantasy Star 2? Shin Megami tensei, also.

Thanks StoppedInTracks for the awesomely informative thread! It definitely inspired me to re-purchase a few old classics like Might and Magic I-VI, Wizardry 6-8, and Ultima Underworld, and also purchase some that I missed before like Realms of Arkania, and Ishar. Thanks again!

That's great to hear! RoA is pretty hard, though. Ishar as well but definitely more manageable without a FAQ. And Ishar has some incredible atmoshpere... it really shows that it is a french game - it has a "soul".

--------------------------------------

I was wondering - maybe some kind mod would simply move this thread to the Gaming Community? We could talk about all FPP Dungeon Crawlers there.

The Quest is ok, but it's obtuse. Shouldn't be too surprising if you are used to the genre.

Magellan

Neo Member
That's great to hear! RoA is pretty hard, though. Ishar as well but definitely more manageable without a FAQ. And Ishar has some incredible atmoshpere... it really shows that it is a french game - it has a "soul".

--------------------------------------

I was wondering - maybe some kind mod would simply move this thread to the Gaming Community? We could talk about all FPP Dungeon Crawlers there.

I just briefly fiddled with RoA and Ishar, and yeah they both seem old-school tough and then some! LOL. Also, you're right that Ishar seems to have an incredible atmosphere. Great looking game too!

Laconic

Banned

Have you played Wizardry 8, properly modded?

And by properly modded, I mean with the battle speed slider mod and Flamestryke's first mod (the one with retro dungeons, the weapons that didn't make it into vanilla but were supposed to, and the class set that makes Lords not useless).

Because THAT is the pinnacle of CRPG dungeon crawlers, as far as I am concerned.

Etrian Odyssey holds the genre down solidly, on the handheld front. SMT too. Unchained Blades... I like it because it is a dungeon crawler, lol.

Magellan

Neo Member
Etrian Odyssey holds the genre down solidly, on the handheld front. SMT too.

I only have experience with Etrian Odyssey IV, and based on that I have to agree with you. AWFUL music (like cheerful 80's sitcom music) worst I've ever heard in any RPG I think. Not to mention, are ALL of the monsters just cutesy forest animals? Ugghhhh. That being said, I'm not saying it's a bad game overall, it does have it's points. Still, it is overrated to me.

From what little I've played of Shin Megami Tensei (only Nocturne and SMT IV) it seems a little better than the EO series. Better art style for sure (I'm not a huge fan of the anime RPG style, but at least SMT has a pretty good, mature anime look, instead of the kiddie look of EO). Also SMT has a kinda creepy trippy fantasy-horror vibe which is kinda cool.

Laconic

Banned
I only have experience with Etrian Odyssey IV, and based on that I have to agree with you. AWFUL music (like cheerful 80's sitcom music) worst I've ever heard in any RPG I think. Not to mention, are ALL of the monsters just cutesy forest animals? Ugghhhh. That being said, I'm not saying it's a bad game overall, it does have it's points. Still, it is overrated to me.

From what little I've played of Shin Megami Tensei (only Nocturne and SMT IV) it seems a little better than the EO series. Better art style for sure (I'm not a huge fan of the anime RPG style, but at least SMT has a pretty good, mature anime look, instead of the kiddie look of EO). Also SMT has a kinda creepy trippy fantasy-horror vibe which is kinda cool.

Etrian Odyssey has adorable looking forest creatures at the outset.

They look even cuter with their antlers draped in your party's intestines.

Don't sleep on cute.

What is this wrong sentence? Why is it a thing, and how did it come to be?

RMI

Banned

SMT IV is absolutely a worse dungeon crawler than EO IV. They're not even in the same league. It's a fine JRPG that's for sure, and it has a really awesome aesthetic, and a stronger narrative, but I got a lot more out of EO IV's combat and party management. I would go so far as to say the combat in SMT IV actually becomes a huge annoyance towards the end of the game especially.

Also, I know exactly what song you're talking about on the EO IV soundtrack, and it's just one of many AWESOME tracks on an incredible OST.

Laconic

Banned
Also, I meant to say Etrian Odyssey "holds down" the genre on handheld.

Re: It is pretty much the apex of the genre on handhelds.

That said, I would dearly LOVE a Shining sequel on the 3DS.

Magellan

Neo Member
Fair enough. You guys definitely have more expertise when it comes to JRPGs than me, so I respect your opinions. I'm honestly much more of an old-school western CRPG fan (Might and Magic, Ultima, etc.), but I play the occasional Japanese RPG since the landscape of western RPGs has been barren for a while (although this year is surpringly good with Might & Magic X, Diviniy: Original Sin and others).

SMT IV is absolutely a worse dungeon crawler than EO IV. They're not even in the same league. It's a fine JRPG that's for sure, and it has a really awesome aesthetic, and a stronger narrative, but I got a lot more out of EO IV's combat and party management. I would go so far as to say the combat in SMT IV actually becomes a huge annoyance towards the end of the game especially.

Also, I know exactly what song you're talking about on the EO IV soundtrack, and it's just one of many AWESOME tracks on an incredible OST.

I'd argue IV is the only numbered SMT that isn't a DC. Dungeons proper are like 7 or so and you spend a fraction of your time in them. Plus much of the mechanics dissuade DC mechanics and balancing.

Minsc

Gold Member
Had no idea this thread was still active, dungeon crawlers are pretty timeless for me. If the list in the OP wasn't enough a reason to subscribe, seeing new posts from time to time will be.

By request, we're now in gaming community too, nice to have an official dungeon crawler thread for the community.

Magellan

Neo Member
Did any of you try Might & Magic X: Legacy? It's kinda rough around the edges, but overall a REALLY fun game, especially for anybody that loved M&M 3-4-5.

Thank you, Minsc.

Did any of you try Might & Magic X: Legacy? It's kinda rough around the edges, but overall a REALLY fun game, especially for anybody that loved M&M 3-4-5.

Yes, it is a great game we had an OT thread for that. It really hard to believe it was made and ended up being that good.

Subscribed!

No Bard's Tale series or Dragon Wars from Interplay?

220px-Bard%27s_Tale_Box_Cover.jpg

215295-the-bard-s-tale-iii-thief-of-fate-dos-screenshot-yay-we-are.png

250px-Dragonwars_box_small.jpg

224429-dragon-wars-amiga-screenshot-rock-spiders.png

Magellan

Neo Member
Yes, it is a great game we had an OT thread for that. It really hard to believe it was made and ended up being that good.

Yeah no kidding, that was a real underdog story! I hope it sold decent enough to warrant a sequel. I'm about 50 hours into it so far, I'll come back to it after Divinity:OS (which is also great).

lordxar

You, sir have played a significant number of titles from this genre.

However...have you played...

Dungeons of Daggorath?

My buddy and I played this...well...non stop on his TRS-80 (I believe)

:) I can in to mention DoD! Man I played the shit out of that on my CoCo 2. Could never beat the false wizard but loved every minute. Beat the living shit out of my keyboard punching in moves (p l t) (a r) (a r) ....

Magellan

Neo Member
Some (potentially) good news for old-school RPG fans. I just tried the early access of Lords of Xulima (which was just released). I've only played it for about an hour or so (I don't want to spoil too much, waiting until the full release) but so far it's really good! Combat is 1st person, in the Might and Magic style, and exploration is 3rd person, kind of in a Baldur's Gate style. This seriously shows a LOT of potential. :)

DgW34vf.jpg

ALGoKLL.jpg

jZPztZk.jpg

8YMHKpQ.jpg

Magellan

Neo Member
Sorry if those images posted twice, never uploaded any images before, and obviously I don't know what I'm doing. lol

Magellan

Neo Member
Art looks pretty bad, hmmmm.

Overall I think the art looks fairly solid (not spectacular). But this isn't a AAA game, so I'm not expecting it to look like Witcher 3 or something. For an indie/ Kickstarter retro RPG, I think it looks very good. Granted, Grimrock was indie and looked AMAZING, but that's the exception, not the rule.

noquarter

Was in the mood for some map making lately and had never played the NES Wizardry: Knight of the Diamond, so decided to give out a shot. Man, fuck Wizardry.

Got a good portion of the first 2 floors mapped, but wasn't paying attention to my party and want expecting teleports so early, so the 2nd floor wiped out a whole party pretty quick. Also forgot about the random "X feels drained" bullshit. Had a level 9 Human fighter lose three levels in one trip.

But, still enjoying the game. It has been a long time since I played a Wizardry game and they still are some of my favorite games. If I finish this soon, also got Bard's Tale for NES, so will probably be going right back in.

Edit: Fucking awesome, my Evil Thief just realigned himself as good. My whole party is evil, so he can't join them anymore. God, this game is not liking my today.

jrronimo

Greetings Thread!

I am in search of a very specific game for which I have little memory or information. Surely one of you fine gentlepeople will know the game of which I speak:

- I recall it being a dungeon crawler for DOS.
- I recall the floors of the dungeons being a solid color (i.e., no texture -- only blue, or only green -- it changed as you went deeper)
- I recall there being ladders between floors, although certain races could dig down a floor
- on the Overworld, you directed a letter X that jittered up and down as you moved around, looking for new entrances.
- I remember dying to liches or maybe wights at lower levels. I remember them also having level drain abilities.
- I remember the enemies moving/attacking when I did, a-la Nethack/roguelikes.

Given that this is a memory, ALL of this may be incorrect. I'm pretty certain about the X on the overworld and the floors being single-colored.

For a very long time, I've thought that this game was Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol, but that doesn't look right when I fire it up.

Help me Obi-Wan Gafobi, you're my only hope.

Also: Fukken' subscribed, because this is the best. thread.

Edit:// It's Moraff's World! :D Huzzah! Thanks to the mention of Moraff earlier; definitely put me on the right course. Nostalgia-ing so hard!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, Imma push this one instead of creating a new one for one stupid question, since this thread is freaking amazing and deserves the spotlight again :)

Here's the question though: Which of these old-school dungeon crawlers actually have an interesting, exciting or surprising story? Is there even a game that offers one?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Alright, Imma push this one instead of creating a new one for one stupid question, since this thread is freaking amazing and deserves the spotlight again :)

Here's the question though: Which of these old-school dungeon crawlers actually have an interesting, exciting or surprising story? Is there even a game that offers one?

Story has never really been a strong element in dungeon crawlers. Lands of Lore has a pretty heavy emphasis on story as far as pure dungeon crawlers go.

If you don't mind more hybrid style games then give Albion a try. It's got first person dungeon crawling, tactical combat and isometric world exploration. It's got a pretty decent story.

cj_iwakura

If you have a PS2, Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land's is incredible.

I know this is an old thread an' all but since I can't make my own yet, I'd like to add another game to the entries.

This game is known as the first open world, 3D FSRPG, inspiring how The Elder Scrolls I+II+Battlespire played. It's a game called Legends of Valour for the Amiga and PC (1992). To further highlight some great points about this game, lemme quote Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
The game also features a point-and-click interface, an either automated or realtime combat, and day/night cycle. The game's system is quite complex and realistic for its time. For example, the player character can become drunk (impairing movement and vision), and be arrested for this; undernourished characters (the players need to eat, drink and sleep regularly) are more likely to catch a disease; and a passing guard may overhear an illegal conversation. Fantasy world of Legends of Valour is inhabited by humans, elves and dwarves, and the player can choose which of these races he wishes to play as (the chosen race influences relations with other characters), with player-customized gender, face and body build for the character.

I've actually had this game for years, the original big box release too, but only recently got around playing it. I didn't beat this game, and tbh it does feel quite outdated for me, but this gem is nonetheless of less importance of how significant it was back in '92.

Legends%20of%20Valour_4.png
legends-of-valour_3.png
legends-of-valour_7.png
legends-of-valour_11.png
legends-of-valour_9.png

Yeah... clunky interface, simplified graphics and character stats, not exactly the greatest looking and playing either, but it's still remarkable at the kinds of things this game did for its time and I found myself temporarily enjoying it until the outdated feel became too much to burden.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've heard a lot of good things about Legends of Valour back in the day but I didn't have an Amiga so I never got to try it. I should look into emulating it some day.

I know this is an old thread an' all but since I can't make my own yet, I'd like to add another game to the entries.

This game is known as the first open world, 3D FSRPG, inspiring how The Elder Scrolls I+II+Battlespire played. It's a game called Legends of Valour for the Amiga and PC (1992). To further highlight some great points about this game, lemme quote Wikipedia:

I've actually had this game for years, the original big box release too, but only recently got around playing it. I didn't beat this game, and tbh it does feel quite outdated for me, but this gem is nonetheless of less importance of how significant it was back in '92.

Legends%20of%20Valour_4.png
legends-of-valour_3.png
legends-of-valour_7.png
legends-of-valour_11.png
legends-of-valour_9.png

Yeah... clunky interface, simplified graphics and character stats, not exactly the greatest looking and playing either, but it's still remarkable at the kinds of things this game did for its time and I found myself temporarily enjoying it until the outdated feel became too much to burden.

Nice bump!

This was a fantastic RPG for Amiga 500 that I've never played - only tried at my friend's house. I still have it on my "to beat" list before I die.

Actually I was looking for something related to dungeon crawlers on the internet and it linked me here, heh.

Argonomic

I played the hell out of these sorts of games. Bards Tale and Wizardry should be included, they were 1st person. Dragon Wars was almost all 1st Person too. That one is worth revisiting. It was one of the only games in the genre to approach a reasonably accessible difficulty level.

Tangent: It was mildy discombobulating to be minding my own business, enjoying a foot massage courtesy of bed bath & beyond, just casually reading the first post, and then BAM out of nowhere Modern Warfare 2 gets side swiped in an MM7 review. It is quite meta to contemplate, but let me say as somebody that worked on both CoD:MW games, it felt like springing a meticulously constructed trap.

Top Bottom