• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I don't think I've ever played a game like this but with it being free on PS+ it's a great way to get me to.

Jachaos

Man this is tough. Died on the first day my first go and have just now gotten killed by a bunch of frogs. I'm getting a hang of a good bit of the stuff but there's a lot of things still to learn, like farming and all. Haven't even seen the famous pigs from that thread a while back, but I did see a weird eye on two giant legs that started running after me as I was chopping wood.

Fun game but it's pretty tough for sure.

anddo0

Loving this so far. I made it to day 3 on my first try. I'm slowly figuring things out. I picked a few fights I know I couldn't win, lol.

How do you get your heart back up? Is that even possible?

I don't even like rogue likes but I'm hooked on this. Made it to the 3rd day. Built my science machine n the middle of the woods. Cranked out a few new inventions & then the damn bats got my ass since I had too many open angles. I c I'm a have to build a fort next time

Now I'm wonderin y I don't like spelunky or the souls games... idk

Loving this so far. I made it to day 3 on my first try. I'm slowly figuring things out. I picked a few fights I know I couldn't win, lol.

How do you get your heart back up? Is that even possible?

When u eat it goes up & when u eat flowers but there seems to b a limit on how much u can recover each night

Cheech

You got another game today. It will be a long time for KZ.

I'm not sure I'd call it much of a game. It's more like an interactive screen saver. This game would have been fun like 25 years ago.

I would rather they just give us discounts on retail games instead of this crud.

Was doing pretty good--made it halfway through Day 4 on my first try. Got killed by a giant bird that would NOT stop chasing. All because I took its egg.

Really enjoying this game. I love how they don't start with a tutorial or anything; you're just on your own from the get-go.

Grinchy

Banned
Still just getting started, but I really want to set myself up so I don't have to worry so much about food.

dontstarvetqo72.jpg

Still just getting started, but I really want to set myself up so I don't have to worry so much about food.

Damn dude, I wasn't nearly this organized at Day 8.

Also, I went for the backpack over any armor. I found it way more useful, but I guess if you have a camp set up like that you have no need for a backpack.

Can you plant those berry bushes? If so, how? And how long does it take the plants to grow more berries? Thanks!
You need to dig up the bushes with a shovel, and it takes a REALLY long time for them to grow back. Alternatively, you can find poop and use it as manure to speed the process of growing berries or crops.

VanWinkle

You need to dig up the bushes with a shovel, and it takes a REALLY long time for them to grow back. Alternatively, you can find poop and use it as manure to speed the process of growing berries or crops.

I'm assuming you have to have the science machine to make a shovel? I haven't found the stuff I need to make that thing.

This game is really fun and I had been wrestling buying it through a steam sale but I heard it was coming to PS4 so I waited. I've played two rounds so far and it is amazing on remote play! Even when you go to the controls it knows you are remote playing and shows you vita controls which I think is a nice touch. I can't wait to play some more. I've died because I keep picking fights (bees, pigs, spiders). Going to give it some more plays later tonight on the PS4 proper.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Find an area with lots of frog ponds and set traps around them. You will have more food than you can shake a stick at. Also, winter is a cruel bitch. Be prepared.

DietRob

Ok somebody compile a list of tips. This game is pretty challenging and I'd like to survive past the first night, lol. I assume that in order to survive the first night I'll need to create a fire of some sort, right? Problem is I've tried 3 times and yet to find the materials I need to create fire.

I can see myself really putting some time into this game, especially over remote play. It has a Splunky kind feel to it, and that's most certainly a good thing.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Ok somebody compile a list of tips. This game is pretty challenging and I'd like to survive past the first night, lol. I assume that in order to survive the first night I'll need to create a fire of some sort, right? Problem is I've tried 3 times and yet to find the materials I need to create fire.

I can see myself really putting some time into this game, especially over remote play. It has a Splunky kind feel to it, and that's most certainly a good thing.

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Guides/Getting_Started_Guide

I like to make my permanent base in an area near frog ponds, beefalos, and rabbit holes. Frogs and rabbits for food, and beefalos for protection from hounds.

dvize

Banned

Hah, i see you playing right now. But all you need is grass and twigs to get you started. Then craft an axe and a pick and then you should be good.

Then again, i'm not really sure how to proceed. I built a trap but i'm not sure how to use it..

Strider

Then again, i'm not really sure how to proceed. I built a trap but i'm not sure how to use it..

I really dont know how to play but I did end up just randomly dropping a trap on the ground and thats all it takes. You don't have to set it or anything. I went back a couple days later and there was a bunny trapped in it.

Grinchy

Banned
Damn dude, I wasn't nearly this organized at Day 8.

Also, I went for the backpack over any armor. I found it way more useful, but I guess if you have a camp set up like that you have no need for a backpack.

Yeah I prefer the backpack too. I actually found this armor while I was running around.

I have a nice area with like ~12 beefalow right next to my camp, so I have a ton of poop to gather. I'm going to fertilize all these crops. I'm finally setting up a bunch of bird traps now too. Once I have a decent amount of food that I can quickly gather, I'll venture out and get some cool stuff.

Ferrio

Banned
I really dont know how to play but I did end up just randomly dropping a trap on the ground and thats all it takes. You don't have to set it or anything. I went back a couple days later and there was a bunny trapped in it.

Yep, you can just set traps over rabbit holes instead of placing food under them.

Trap can be used for other animals/enemies too.

Jintor

Good to see this game getting hella exposure. I was a big fan back when it was 'released', but I'm sure they've content patched the shit out of it since then.

Klei doing good work. I'm looking forward to their turn based espionage game.

DietRob

Hah, i see you playing right now. But all you need is grass and twigs to get you started. Then craft an axe and a pick and then you should be good.

Yea had to give it a run for a while. I finally made it up too day 3 after figuring out how to build an axe and make fire. This is going to be a fun little game. Perfect compliment to a Splunky session. Quick screen shot of something weird I found. Also thanks for the link Cheser!

FCpSilY.jpg

Top Bottom