• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

I went on a mad mod culling spree yesterday and deleted / removed a shitload of mods, went back to a fairly steady and stable setup and I'm thinking of ironing out all the problems with the build - which is extremely lore friendly, and perhaps putting out a 'mod pack'.

Considering I am not really versed in creating mods and I want to give something back to the community, I've been thinking about putting together a downloadable mod-pack for some time now. Working on that would be something to keep me occupied in my boredom and don't you think people would jump on board if they could just download a one click 'Ultra High Quality Super Skyrim Upgrade' Pack?
3AQmK.gif

I think I want to learn how to modify textures however. I have the .dds plugins, however whenever I save the files they look stupid colors in the game.

Enco

I went on a mad mod culling spree yesterday and deleted / removed a shitload of mods, went back to a fairly steady and stable setup and I'm thinking of ironing out all the problems with the build - which is extremely lore friendly, and perhaps putting out a 'mod pack'.

Considering I am not really versed in creating mods and I want to give something back to the community, I've been thinking about putting together a downloadable mod-pack for some time now. Working on that would be something to keep me occupied in my boredom and don't you think people would jump on board if they could just download a one click 'Ultra High Quality Super Skyrim Upgrade' Pack?
3AQmK.gif

I think I want to learn how to modify textures however. I have the .dds plugins, however whenever I save the files they look stupid colors in the game.
Would be nice for small fixes and changes but big mods I'd like separate.

Not sure if devs would like their big mods bundled together too. Small fixes are ok because anyone can do them.

Teleporter

3AQmK.gif

Yes pls do this sir! Your config is really jaw droppin`!

Hey guys... see in the top right corner of this image:

ibpN9uCEHYzmAP.jpg

How the snow is a bit bollocksed with the black line. I think I noticed this being discussed before as being SSAO or something on ATI cards?

Is there any way to fix this without turning off SSAO? I've only just gotten to the snowy parts of the game and I'm totally annoyed that it's happening because I don't want to have to lose SSAO if I can afford it.

Also - I don't know if this is a driver issue or not (probably is) but since the CK came out I've had trouble with screen flickering and crossfire problems... it's like all of the benefits of the 1.4 update went away since the creation kit came out :(

Enco

So...I hear beth's HD pack screws stuff up, but does it actually look good?
I think it makes everything look a lot sharper and I haven't really had any issues.

Finally started playing the game after a long phase of modding/testing/walking around. So good.

The Dungeon sounds mod is amazing. Thought everyone here was exaggerating but damn it was scary.

Some shots I just took after a crazy dungeon:

edit: Colonial I don't think there's any way to fix it. Is it the SSAO from ENB? If so, I'm not sure what you can do. If it's the proper AO from Nvidia you can change the quality using the control panel. I use 'Quality' AO. Nicer than 'Performance'.

Ledsen

3AQmK.gif

If you do it, prepare for huge outrage and threats from the modders whose mods you include... the TES modding community hates compilations.

Some more shots of how my current game looks for yall to see.

I won't post another big compilation like this again for a while, I just love how it looks so much, it's almost perfect for me and so often while I'm playing I just sit there in awe with my jaw gaping. I like to capture screenshots to 'capture the moment' for later. Some of these were especially exciting moments.
3AQmK.gif

jbmJ2GjFS5clQr.jpg
jb0F1zAQRUOPoc.jpg
j9h2KrzGnyedU.jpg
jbw4fDEiztmVRS.jpg
jbbHLMqfmpUm0.jpg
jdMvnyyhSoXk8.jpg
jbiKYsd3AwisRk.jpg
juewFKx2OLj9h.jpg
jJgcVgbTCITKN.jpg
jmE3URk1kOQ7Q.jpg
jWb72vLErQ4D.jpg
jM4WJlUBkR9z2.jpg
jOIoCeAKEI8ye.jpg
jb1dTTYmGFaJ1A.jpg
jL5eNdhUhuEVu.jpg
jblIKZ9ctQbK7E.jpg
jbakEqkr0z9qlI.jpg
jGlcRHS4WgdAW.jpg
jbx6MYHYVPccfb.jpg
jzFlqq3QVIoPz.jpg
jbEXBTVYyFG0J.jpg
jDJ2iwtwcr989.jpg
j9vh6iVyudvAX.jpg
jv8w9UM773aoC.jpg
jbpZ5qhGxPsFb2.jpg

If you do it, prepare for huge outrage and threats from the modders whose mods you include... the TES modding community hates compilations.

I would of course get in contact with each of the mod owners and ask their permission to use their mods... it would be a gigantic job and I'd want to set it up so that it was the type of compilation so that it wasn't just a dump in type of setup but a complete 'mod your game' setup where you just copy over a copy of Mod Organiser or NMM or something and bang it's all set up with the correct links to the mods on the Nexus or something so that they will automatically update or something. A comprehensive 'starting' point for someone new to modding. Dunno though, probably won't do it, but I might, I like to get all my ducks in order so if it gets to the point that my mod setup is organised well enough and clean enough to be shared, then I might just.

I think it makes everything look a lot sharper and I haven't really had any issues.

Finally started playing the game after a long phase of modding/testing/walking around. So good.

The Dungeon sounds mod is amazing. Thought everyone here was exaggerating but damn it was scary.

edit: Colonial I don't think there's any way to fix it. Is it the SSAO from ENB? If so, I'm not sure what you can do. If it's the proper AO from Nvidia you can change the quality using the control panel. I use 'Quality' AO. Nicer than 'Performance'.

I'm in the same boat - I've been modding for such a long time and getting everything right for weeks and haven't been playing for ages, then the last few days I've been playing a lot more and I'm just awestruck by how good it looks now.

I assume it can't be fixed yeah - I'll try and push it up to 'Quality' with ENB, that uses Indirect Lighting and I haven't tried that with my current config so we'll see what happens when I bump that on as well.

Edit - also, guys if you're using Google Chrome I suggest you download a plugin called 'auto-pager' it helps browsing the Steam Workshop by about 1000% because you can just load them all onto one page and scroll down down down down instead of having to click and load a new page every 30 mods. SO much better.

Enco

Really nice shots Colonial.

I'll check out the Chrome plugin.

Yea I love sound mods. It adds so much to immersion. For example, compare Minecraft to Battlefield.

Jtrizzy

I don't have a lot of steam friends who are doing this so if some of you guys wouldn't mind adding me I'd be appreciative. That way we can look at what each other are using. My id is jtrizzy754

I'm getting crazy about the HD texture pack overriding stuff, I modified the .inis as S0N0S posted but the Dunmer still have the ugly vanilla face textures no matter what, other texture mods *seem* to be working fine but I'll need to look carefully and see. *Sigh*

I don't have a lot of steam friends who are doing this so if some of you guys wouldn't mind adding me I'd be appreciative. That way we can look at what each other are using. My id is jtrizzy754
Same, my ID is: D0V4HKIIN.

Question:

When I change my carry capacity with the console commands is it just affecting the base number? I want to increase it temporarily, save, then switch back to my normal amount later on while I test some mods I'm making.

I'm simply scared that if I change it with the console cheat, the number will become static and never return to a true dynamic amount based on my buffs and stamina. I can think of some simple ways around it if this is the case but there'd be less hassle if I can just toggle it up temporarily and then dial it back to normal later.

goodfella

Good lord, Colonial, those screens are nice.

Funny, I initially hated your screenshots from earlier in the thread, but you seem to have refined the look of the game to a point where it almost has a completely new and constant art style.

Question:

I need to give my character more Carrying Capacity but only temporarily, then I want to revert back to whatever dynamic number the game gives me bases on my stats and buffs. I know I can use a console command to mod my capacity but is there a command to simply revert to a non-static amount?

Reason I ask is because I'm changing up a lot inside some of the houses with the creation kit and I have to remove a ton of items from various chests and such. I'd rather not stick them all in a non-owned barrel or have to go through the hassle of transferring them back and forth between houses (plus I'm getting tired of walking around over encumbered just to test my house modifications).

Console commands in order of usefulness IMO

resurrect
click on an NPC and type this in the console to bring them back to life.

setessential <item_code> 0/1
Click on your following to figure out their id number.

player.modav <attribute> <amount>
you can type these variables in the <attribute> part 'health', 'carryweight', 'stamina', 'magicka', 'meleedamage'. You can change it back as well if you want

equipitem <item_code>
Use this to for one of your follows to equip an item from their inventory (works on any NPC really). If you want to make them hold different weapons or wear different clothes or armor

showinventory
shows any NPC's inventory after you have clicked on them

fov <value>
see more of your weapons when in FPS

et timescale to #
Sets the rate of speed that time moves, 1 = realtime, 16 = standard game time

additem <item_code> <value>

additem <item_code> <value>
Drops the item in front of you.

player.additem <item code> <value>
Same as above but it puts the item in your inventory

Don't include the "<" or ">".

You can get a list of all the codes from the wikia here.

Good lord, Colonial, those screens are nice.

Funny, I initially hated your screenshots from earlier in the thread, but you seem to have refined the look of the game to a point where it almost has a completely new and constant art style.

Yeah... I agree, I was trying to hard before, now I'm very happy with it - I've tried to 'tone things back' now and it's paying of. Before I was going BALLS TO THE WALL FUCK YEAH ALL THE WAY FUCKEN GIMME IT ALL FEATURES BRIGHTNESS BLOOM YAHOO, but now I'm just trying to keep it subtle and beautiful as much as possible. I'm still tuning, but it's getting much closer to the look I desired from the start :)

Edit - Someone warned me not to use SteamMover, but I tried it anyway, I should have listened :/

Zimbardo

so i have 2 gtx560 1 gig cards ...i tried out the bethesda hd textures ...i get perfect 60fps vsync'd, but i notice some hitching in spots. aside from when it hitches ...i get the 60fps.

anyway, has anyone noticed these 'hitches' with cards that are over 1gig? i'm guessing that my 1gig vram setup isn't enough.

edit: i disabled the bethesda hd textures and have just gone back the vanilla ultra settings. no hitching at all and get a constant 60fps.

i'm @ 1080p, btw.

About to play through Skyrim for the first time, what would you guys say are the must have mods in addition to the new official texture pack?

Sethos

Banned
About to play through Skyrim for the first time, what would you guys say are the must have mods in addition to the new official texture pack?

Honestly, I'd keep the mods to a minimum to experience the game as the developers intended the first time around. Maybe check out some of the 'Realistic Lighting', 'Enhanced Blood Textures' , 'Shadow Striping Fix' stuff like that.

EDIT: Oh and anything made by isoku - He does fantastic mods.

so i have 2 gtx560 1 gig cards ...i tried out the bethesda hd textures ...i get perfect 60fps vsync'd, but i notice some hitching in spots. aside from when it hitches ...i get the 60fps.

anyway, has anyone noticed these 'hitches' with cards that are over 1gig? i'm guessing that my 1gig vram setup isn't enough.

edit: i disabled the bethesda hd textures and have just gone back the vanilla ultra settings. no hitching at all and get a constant 60fps.

i'm @ 1080p, btw.

Definite Vram issue, had that in a few games where I've modded them with High-res textures. When it hits the Vram roof you get one of those hitches / skips.

Honestly, I'd keep the mods to a minimum to experience the game as the developers intended the first time around. Maybe check out some of the 'Realistic Lighting', 'Enhanced Blood Textures' , 'Shadow Striping Fix' stuff like that.

Obviously I disagree with this entirely. I feel like the game was... not so much rushed out, but released with the priority towards Consoles and therefore the Vanilla PC version is WAY below the standard that you could expect to see from a PC game these days.

PC Gamer Top 25 Skyrim Mods

Try to get mods that just enhance the vanilla feeling of the game if you can, that way it's just about 'improving' Bethesda's vision rather than modifying it like crazy.

Most people probably think that my game is an absolute abomination, but I think you'd be surprised if you actually played it :)

Have a look at this list by PC Gamer and if you go with some (or most) of them, you'll be doing pretty good for yourself.

Sethos

Banned
Obviously I disagree with this entirely. I feel like the game was... not so much rushed out, but released with the priority towards Consoles and therefore the Vanilla PC version is WAY below the standard that you could expect to see from a PC game these days.

PC Gamer Top 25 Skyrim Mods

Try to get mods that just enhance the vanilla feeling of the game if you can, that way it's just about 'improving' Bethesda's vision rather than modifying it like crazy.

Most people probably think that my game is an absolute abomination, but I think you'd be surprised if you actually played it :)

Have a look at this list by PC Gamer and if you go with some (or most) of them, you'll be doing pretty good for yourself.

Most of those mods just destroy the game. Yes, some UI fixes and whatnot I'd agree with but all that ENB shit that looks atrocious and all sorts of features that wasn't intended in the first place and does kill the original intention I'm very much against. And yes, I'd say your game is completely ruined and has nothing to do with Skyrim any more, in my opinion of course.

I feel the vanilla game is fantastic and can perfectly stand on its own. I would tell anyone to enjoy the vanilla game THEN decide whether they dislike the UI, think the characters need a bump in detail, need more sharpening or want ugly ass vaseline / blur / smudged look of ENB.

Most of those mods just destroy the game. Yes, some UI fixes and whatnot I'd agree with but all that ENB shit that looks atrocious and all sorts of features that wasn't intended in the first place and does kill the original intention I'm very much against. And yes, I'd say your game is completely ruined and has nothing to do with Skyrim any more, in my opinion of course.

I feel the vanilla game is fantastic and can perfectly stand on its own. I would tell anyone to enjoy the vanilla game THEN decide whether they dislike the UI, think the characters need a bump in detail, need more sharpening or want ugly ass vaseline / blur / smudged look of ENB.

Aren't opinions wonderful
3AQmK.gif

This is a modding thread you know.

Uh...you might want to edit out that fourth shot of your character wearing nothing but boots, not sure that's exactly looked upon too well on the forum.

As for ENB, I've tried it but honestly I prefer the Realistic Lighting mod myself. Not knocking anyone who does use it, though.

i'm @ 1080p, btw.
Wait... you have two in SLI? Does that not count for 2GB VRAM?

Ashodin

Uh...you might want to edit out that fourth shot of your character wearing nothing but boots, not sure that's exactly looked upon too well on the forum.

As for ENB, I've tried it but honestly I prefer the Realistic Lighting mod myself. Not knocking anyone who does use it, though.
Wheres your two handed swords man!!! :p

The dragon pet has arrived - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8808

Literally the only good picture out of those. Crappy textures, textures that aren't seamless, horrible DoF, etc.

Lol, each to their own, but man... see it in motion and I'd like to see if you still think that way.

There were a lot of 'seams' in the vanilla textures as well, it's still a WIP as well, not like i'm saying it's a bee all and end all either, just a lot better than it was when I first started out and modding is in it's infancy, I can't imagine how the game is going to look a year from now! I just find it so much fun to play around with and tweak the way the game looks to my hearts content and change it to look the way I want it to look so that the way it looks is visually impressive to me alone and the experience that I am having is something that is tuned to my own preferences and no one else will be having an experience exactly the same as the one I'm having.

Jtrizzy

So discussing the realistic lighting mod. I haven't made up my minds as to whether I prefer it during the day time, it looks good for sure...but night time and dungeons are way too dark. I guess that is realistic, but I don't want to carry a torch at all times, even though that would be realistic.

noise36

Guys does the official HD texture pack super-seed the unofficial HD texture packs?

i.e. both landscape and buildings, people etc?

Guys does the official HD texture pack super-seed the unofficial HD texture packs?

i.e. both landscape and buildings, people etc?

By default, yes. But there's a way around it apparently:

You have to uncheck the two .esp files for the hi-res packs (in the Nexus Mod Manager or in the Data Files when you load the Skyrim launcher), then change a couple of .ini files, which are "SteamApps\Common\Skyrim\Skyrim_default.ini" and "Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini". In both of those files, under the [Archive] section, you have to add both HighResTexturePack01.bsa and HighResTexturePack02.bsa to the end of your list. Mine looks like this:

[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - AI!.bsa, Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa, HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa

This should allow you to use the official hi-res pack and any mods for textures you already have will override it. So anything that was still vanilla texture gets the official upgrade and anything the modders already got to remains unaffected.

Mashing

The realistic lighting mod with customizations is very nice, except it has one glaring flaw IMO; it makes candlelight spell ridiculously bright and the radius is too big. I mean I used it in the mage's college and it lit up the entire area no matter where I was standing.

JoeBoy101

Been playing with the Sounds of Skyrim mod on...

and I no longer enjoy delving into Draugr Ruins. That shit is chilling hearing all the voices, and in surround sound, its worse. You hear them moving around.

Not cool.

Can someone help me out here? For some reason ever since I downloaded the official hi-res texture pack and the space core mod my performance has gone to shit. It takes forever to boot up the game now, the initial load takes way too long and my frame rate has entered PS3 levels of bad. I tried deleting the texture pack with, the space core mod and half my saves with no luck. I'm reverifying my cache now. Steam support mentioned something about re-running installers or something. If the cache thing doesn't work I'll try that. Anyone else have this problem?

God damnit. The game was running so buttery smooth too for the last 87 hours. It's probably just coincedence and my PC's fault, but fuck I should have known better before downloading something from Bethesda.

How do I delete the beth hires texture pack? I'm using a gtx 480 and my card is getting into the 109 degrees..0_0 Anyone here with a 480? what are your temps like?

freddy

Banned
Question:

When I change my carry capacity with the console commands is it just affecting the base number? I want to increase it temporarily, save, then switch back to my normal amount later on while I test some mods I'm making.

I'm simply scared that if I change it with the console cheat, the number will become static and never return to a true dynamic amount based on my buffs and stamina. I can think of some simple ways around it if this is the case but there'd be less hassle if I can just toggle it up temporarily and then dial it back to normal later.
If you use the .modav command to change your carryweight, it will be a permanent modification. If you use .setav, each time you load a save the weight should revert back to it previous value (this might vary depending if the game has modified your carryweight through levelling or some other way). So as long as you reload a save it should reset.

If you want to reset to a specific value to test mods then you can use .modav normally or with a - before it as long as you keep track of your default before you started just set it back to that and you will level normally afterwards. tgm(god mode) can also be useful temporarily.

Bruiserk

Can anyone recommend the sounds of Skyrim mod? I feel like the sounds would play too often and feel less immersive than how it is projected to be.

Sethos

Banned
Can anyone recommend the sounds of Skyrim mod? I feel like the sounds would play too often and feel less immersive than how it is projected to be.

Just relaying what my friend said, he said it has potential but the sounds aren't processed enough in terms of echo, having some proper distant sounds etc. to create a better atmosphere. Feels a bit thrown in right now.

Enco

Just relaying what my friend said, he said it has potential but the sounds aren't processed enough in terms of echo, having some proper distant sounds etc. to create a better atmosphere. Feels a bit thrown in right now.
Yea this is true.

Don't fit in 100% but still very good in my opinion.

Top Bottom