• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo OFFICIALLY Confirms SNES Games For New Nintendo 3DS!

I literally wouldn't have bought these on Wii U if I knew they would eventually be portable and didn't come with a discount

Fuck you, Nintendo

Trojan

Why did you wait so long, Nintendo? If you would have been a couple years earlier I would have bitten on a 3DS. I ended up buying a Vita instead.

Hazmat

If it had a reduced price for Earthbound I'd be all over it, but I just played it and can play it the Wii U game pad if I want to multitask it with TV. I might be up for Super Metroid though.

gerudoman

From the ones announced for Europe for now I'm getting EarthBound (never played it), the DKC trilogy (only played the crappy GBA ports and still loved them) and Super Metroid (only played it once in Wii, and it's a perfect game to play on the go), this is going to be expensive lol. So fucking pumped, I don't have a Wii U but no cross buy is embarrassing at this point.

Wasn't that obvious, you could've said "homebrew users".

And how many people with homebrew installed do you think have legit access to SNES games?
Yes Rich I know you fucking do
Either way you're talking about a tiny group of people. Probably not even in the five figures.

Emulation is compatible with more devices than just New 3DS. Lots of people use PSP for example.

jblank83

I went ahead and purchased SMW. I love SMW and I also wanted to see how it performs.

So far it performs well. It has the same basic UI as the other 3DS VC games. That is it has the restore points and all. The only change seems to be the "pixel perfect" option that Trinnen mentioned. Without it, the image is stretched and blurry. In pixel perfect mode, it looks pretty much perfect.

Gameplay is tight. I don't notice any appreciable input delay. It plays as well as all the other VC games on 3DS, which is to say a lot better than NES/SNES VC games play on Wii U.

Frames also seem fluid, without any hitches.

The lack of discounts or cross-buy is disappointing, but technically the SNES VC on 3DS seems good.

zroid

Banned
Sucks that there won't be a discount if you bought it on Wii U :(

Lotta games I'd love to get on 3DS but I ain't double dipping

CHC

I really can't believe that in this day and age there is still no cross-buy system for these games that are 20+ years old. I understand that it takes some non-trivial amount of work but that is just the cost of doing business for them, it should count as the same application, playable on multiple systems.

Cub3h

Banned
Yep, not touching any that I already own on Wii or Wii U. It's 2016. Crossbuy or nothing.

There have to be so many people that would spend a fortune on these VC games if they only were tied to your account instead of having to buy the games over and over, and over again. I'll once again ignore the VC until they get it right. 2020s here we come.

sugarless

I don't have a Wii U but no cross buy is embarrassing at this point.

Even when they do cross buy it's embarrassing. I think it was a Mario and the Minis type game that had it and how it worked was, if you had it on Wii U, you would have a download code on the Nintendo site to give it to you on 3DS or vice versa. No way to just have it be automatically assigned to your account as an entitlement behind the scenes.

Just download SMW. I'm so excited. Don't have a Wii anymore and don't own a Wii U, so this is the only way I have playing right now.
Will they be adding more then just the nine listed so far? I really hope to get Secret of Mana the most.

I went ahead and purchased SMW. I love SMW and I also wanted to see how it performs.

So far it performs well. It has the same basic UI as the other 3DS VC games. That is it has the restore points and all. The only change seems to be the "pixel perfect" option that Trinnen mentioned. Without it, the image is stretched and blurry. In pixel perfect mode, it looks pretty much perfect.

Gameplay is tight. I don't notice any appreciable input delay. It plays as well as all the other VC games on 3DS, which is to say a lot better than NES/SNES VC games play on Wii U.

Frames also seem fluid, without any hitches.

The lack of discounts or cross-buy is disappointing, but technically the SNES VC on 3DS seems good.

Awesome!

Just download SMW. I'm so excited. Don't have a Wii anymore and don't own a Wii U, so this is the only way I have playing right now.
Will they be adding more then just the nine listed so far? I really hope to get Secret of Mana the most.

There will definitely be more games but I wouldn't get your hopes up for Square Enix stuff. They haven't really been supporting the VC outside of Japan this generation.

Qwyjibo

Great idea and a good fit for the n3DS but it's late and for $8? They can kinda fuck off with that. I don't expect many wanted titles being released for this and the whole thing fizzling out.

jblank83

There have to be so many people that would spend a fortune on these VC games if they only were tied to your account instead of having to buy the games over and over, and over again. I'll once again ignore the VC until they get it right. 2020s here we come.

I agree. Nintendo, given its long history and given how relatively easy it is to emulate these old systems, is in a perfect position to offer a "digital library" or "digital museum" sort of thing with its old games. That sort of stuff should easily carry over between systems.

The fact that it doesn't is terrible.

Drago

aAe4ftI.png

NA lineup is downright pathetic compared to this, unsurprisingly. Fully expecting a dripfeed of maybe one or two games every other week (they're already doing that with the dripfed launch here) while Japan gets games every week. Not that I planned on really buying many of these anyway, especially without crossbuy.

Earthbound might break me though, we'll see.

jackdoe

Double dipping on these titles that I already own on Wii U would send the message to Nintendo that I would be fine with no cross buy on the NX and would gladly repurchase the same titles again on a different platform. So, I'm going to abstain from double dipping.

Controversial opinion: I'm fine with it and I understand the exclusivity to a console that can process that sort of emulation adequately.

Boom.

deleted

So let me get this straight:

You have to own a N3DS - okay, not the worst thing.
You need to pay again, if you own the games on the Wii U - pretty bad.
You get the US versions - great, but I bet they won't re-release the US versions of DKC2 on Wii U, right?

I don't own a N3DS, but I'd hoped that Nintendo would point in the right direction with this, regarding their new account system and the NX coming.
Is it at least done by M2?

Why is Nintendo so backwards when it comes to a unified Nintendo account? Why do they expect us to just rebuy everything for every console they release? Count me out since it even is N3DS only.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
The existence of this is perplexing. There's not really much of a point in releasing these now if they're not going to have cross-buy.

Really? I didn't buy any VC titles on Wii U because I was waiting for this. So, that's a point for these releasing. Probably a bunch more like me as well. Wii U is pretty much a corpse you know.

Sucks that there is no cross buy, yes. But there is quite the "point" to this.

Audioboxer

I don't get it. Who's buying the exact same game over and over? Do people really play these games or just want them sitting there on their consoles just comfortably knowing they can play it if they want to but don't?

I already do that with modern games

/backlogculture

entremet

NA lineup is downright pathetic compared to this, unsurprisingly. Fully expecting a dripfeed of maybe one or two games every other week (they're already doing that with the dripfed launch here) while Japan gets games every week. Not that I planned on really buying many of these anyway, especially without crossbuy.

Earthbound might break me though, we'll see.

They have two versions of Final Fight 1 lol?

Looks like the original and FF Guy.

Pokemaniac

The PSP could emulate/run PS1 games and yet the 3DS can't emulate SNES? Hell, PSP could emulate SNES games no problem.

SNES to 3DS = 20 years
PS1 to PSP = 10 years

Ridiculous.

Emulation has nothing to do with years.

The PS1 emulation was hardware assisted.

Your definition of "no problem" is pretty lenient.

There's actually a decent chance that Old 3DS is slightly weaker than the PSP CPU-wise.

Wii Tank

$11.29 per game in Canada. Yeah no. They need to implement crossbuy or something here, this is ridiculous especially considering I own it on Wii U VC

Top Bottom