• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vue Goes Nationwide, Starting at $29.99 in New Markets

Loudninja

Many of you have been patiently waiting for PlayStation Vue to come to your city, and today we’re pleased to announce that PlayStation Vue is making its nationwide debut. We’re expanding the service to the rest of the U.S. to give our fans a better way to watch popular live and on-demand TV from top networks like AMC, ESPN, Comedy Central, Cartoon Network, and more, using PlayStation Vue’s unique streaming features.
We’re kicking off this launch with our new Slim multi-channel plans that are available in the 203 newly launched markets. Here are the prices for these new plans — all are offered with a free seven-day trial.
  • Access Slim: 55+ channels, including live cable TV, movies, and sports channels for $29.99 per month.
  • Core Slim: 70+ channels, including all the channels from Access Slim with the addition of national and regional sports networks for $34.99 per month.
  • Elite Slim: 100+ channels, featuring all the channels from Core Slim with the addition of more top movie and entertainment channels for $44.99 per month.
With an Internet connection and a PlayStation Vue TV-connected device, there are no hidden fees or long-term contracts for PlayStation Vue.

Some of you may be wondering, what’s the difference between Slim and our standard multi-channel plans available in previously launched cities (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, San Francisco, and Miami)? Slim plans are only available in the newly launched markets and will offer all of the same live cable channels as the standard PlayStation Vue plans. However, ABC, FOX and NBC will offer video-on-demand (VOD)-only content. This means you’ll be able to access top network content, including primetime shows, from the three broadcast networks. Most on-demand content will be available within 24 hours after airing. CBS live and on-demand programming will also be added to select cities at a later date.
We’re working to add local broadcast stations to your city, which will add live, local programing to the channel lineup. You can find more information on plans in your city here: www.psvue.com
Users can access PlayStation Vue through PS4, PS3, Amazon Fire TV, and Fire TV Stick, as well as iPad and iPhone through the PlayStation Vue mobile app. Google Chromecast is also supported via compatible iOS devices.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...-nationwide-starting-at-29-99-in-new-markets/

Comparison from Danthrax:
I made an Excel spreadsheet comparing Vue's Access Slim package, Sling's base package and Sling plus two add-on packages (because that would make Sling cost as much as Vue so it might be a better comparison*). It's viewable on my Google Drive here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6P-cfWcPIvmdnhXWjMzTDA0TWM/view?usp=sharing

Red Xes are for channels that all three options have, and blue Xes are for channels that Vue and the $30 "Sling plus two packages" option have. Black Xes are for channels that are exclusive to either Vue or Sling.

*The two Sling packages I chose were Kids Extra and Lifetime Extra, since those two brought Sling in line with Vue the most, channel-wise, for the best comparison.

Here's an Excel spreadsheet comparing Vue's Core Slim package (with all the sports channels) with Sling and three comparable add-on packages (Sports, Kids and Lifestyle, specifically), viewable on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6P-cfWcPIvmYmNTZE9qOUxzMEU/view?usp=sharing

Both cost $35 per month.

Red Xes denote channels both services offer. Black Xes denote channels exclusive to one service or the other.

[edit] Alternately, you could swap Sling's Kids add-on for the Hollywood Extra add-on, in which you'd have the same number of shared channels with Vue's Core Slim (two, Sundance TV and TCM instead of Disney Junior and Disney XD) but you'd swap three Sling exclusives (BabyTV, DuckTV and Boomerang) for four exclusives (Epix, Epix 2, Epix Hits and Epix Drive-in). So you'd increase the total channels for Sling by one and increase Sling's exclusives by one.

Toki767

The Slim packages aren't available in the places that had the beta service?

But what if I'd prefer saving that extra $10 a month and just watching FOX/ABC/NBC over the air?

Boke1879

VERY interested in this. I'll wait a bit for impressions but if it's good I'll get rid of cable and definitely get this. I'd be saving a shit ton a month.

Torgo

It's nice to know that PlayStation listens to our podcast, since we were calling for this last week ;-P

LifEndz

I just paid for my first month of service. Glad that more people have access to it. Just wish that everyone could take advantage of the 29.99 package.

Mindman

What are the Vue-connected devices? Hoping for Roku, my PS4 is in a different room

EDIT: Users can access PlayStation Vue through PS4, PS3, Amazon Fire TV, and Fire TV Stick, as well as iPad and iPhone through the PlayStation Vue mobile app. Google Chromecast is also supported via compatible iOS devices.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Definitely going to give this a shot. The packages discount with plus is also pleasant.

Will HBO work with this?

Moofers

I'm very interested in seeing the writeups for this. I've cut the cord for over a year now, but my Dad is still on cable and I would love for this to be a real option for him. He really really likes his TV though, so if the on-demand stuff isn't as fleshed out, that could be the dealbreaker. Still excited to see this develop though! I've got my fingers crossed.

The Lamp

Now if only I could find an unlimited high speed internet package in my area that isn't bundled with TV and phone.

Does this offer DVR?

mattp

uh, i'm in nj and i don't see the access slim option. only core for 39.99 (the cheapest available)

edit: oh...so sony considers me in nyc? lol

Jonboy

I've had Sling TV since launch and while its price is still the one to beat, I've been pretty disappointed in the streaming quality, frequent buffering, and cutting in/out at times.

I'll probably give PS Vue a shot and see if the quality is better.

If only I could get rid of Comcast though. They want to absolutely destroy you with prices if you just want Internet!!

Sheesh -_-

Time to have a 3 hour conversation aka negotiation with them tonight. Sigh

J-Skee

What is going on today? Microsoft announcing cross-play, Vue going nationwide. Am I missing anything?

EDIT: Now if only we could get apps like HBO Now, Starz Play, etc. on the PS4. I really wanna get rid of my cable box.

Boke1879

If only I could get rid of Comcast though. They want to absolutely destroy you with prices if you just want Internet!!

Sheesh -_-

Yea I need to start talking to them if I only want the internet. Fuck Comcast really.

BigFwoosh

I see ABC/NBC on demand channels... do those do live TV as well, or is it just the "watch full episodes" sort of thing? I can't get the major networks on an antenna since my apartment complex is made out of lead or something.

Edit: Found my answer: "Slim plans are only available in the newly launched markets and will offer all of the same live cable channels as the standard PlayStation Vue plans. However, ABC, FOX and NBC will offer video-on-demand (VOD)-only content."

Elandyll

Banned
I guess having to negociate individually with each station in each market was taking too long.

Good option, and it seems that local stations will be brought in over time.

inner-G

Banned

Sheesh -_-

It's more expensive, but if you get one of their business connections, there's no bandwidth cap and the service is better.

Serick

Married Member
If only Comcast didn't charge me more for stand alone internet than I pay for internet + cable.

Meh.

demigod

You have got to be kidding me. I just fucking subbed 3 months yesterday to sling since it was only $20 and I'm not willing to pay $40 for Vue. For $30 I'd rather have Playstation Vue. FUCK!!!

J-Skee

I see ABC/NBC on demand channels... do those do live TV as well, or is it just the "watch full episodes" sort of thing? I can't get the major networks on an antenna since my apartment complex is made out of lead or something.

Looks like ABC, Fox & NBC won't be live in the new markets, only in the markets they started with. You can on-demand content for them, but you'll miss things like award shows & sports. Sucks, I really wanted to try this during the NBA Playoffs on ABC.

Arttemis

HOLY SHIT!

This and cross-platform multiplayer makes today one of the most exciting!!!!!!!

Damn, no Roku support! As soon as that drops, I'm all over this and dropping Sling.

Top Bottom