• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 PC/Mac Remote Play client available now

jmaine_ph

I'm on a mid-2009 MacBook. The quality is pretty bad but the input lag is almost nonexistent.

Edit: after bumping the setting to 720p and frame rate to high the input lag is noticeable but not that bad. I'm also getting better but choppy quality.

I'm going to put that more on my hardware and current internet situation

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Off topic, but I don't understand this mentality. You don't want better performance? You can turn off all the location stuff, and everything is in the same place it was in W7. Hell, the Power User menu alone (win+x) makes Windows 8+ worth it.

I used windows xp until the year of our lord 2012. I'll switch when windows 12 comes out.

p3n

They should have an automatic mode by default that scales quality to the available bandwidth. I see so many people complaining about the blurry image because they forgot to check settings...

I thought I'd use this a lot (same with Xbox One streaming), but I ended up buying extra consoles for where I needed this functionality.

The only streaming I consistently use is Steam streaming, which works best (so far).

JordanKZ

wonder if it'll be possible to map mouse and keyboard to this, destiny with a mouse would be cool

Makes you wonder. I remember a few PS3 games having M&KB support a few years ago. If they updated the client to allow for control mapping, it would probably work pretty well. Although you'd lose analog control.... and the touch pad.

Corpekata

Banned
The bootleg Remote Play app was experimenting with KBAM last I checked. Worked fine with Xinput controllers too. Had issues with stability though. Might need to go look at recent updates, it might end up a better experience.

Edit: looks lt went free in March, with some features for paying members.

Ogawa-san

Win10 here. Just in case other people are having the RP installer not detecting Media Feature Pack even though you have it: Windows Media Player has to be enabled/installed as well (Programs and Features > Media Features > WMP).

It works as well as it does from my Vita and phone. Not perfect, even with both sides wired sometimes it still has that hint of lag with slightly "heavy" inputs. But unlike those there are no drops in quality or hiccups so far, probably because it's wired.

Looks like it's decoding by software indeed. On high settings (720@60) it hovers between 25~40% CPU utilization on my i5 4430 (and never below those 25%), down to sub 10% on standard (520@30). But I'm also seeing some GPU activity while the RP app is open, hovering from 10 to 30% of my 970, so I don't know what's going on.

Shadowplay capture works, at least capturing the entire desktop.

Toki767

Works fine for me. Maybe a little less input lag than Remote Play on the Vita with a wired connection to my computer.

CfWBgdIUsAAPEJm.jpg

Kind of bummed Remote Play doesn't work with PS Vue. They really do need a PS Vue app on Windows so I can just watch TV on my computer.

c0de

Come on Windows 7 users, it's time to stop complaining. You have two other operating systems to choose from. And yes, after almost 7 years, you cannot be surprised your OS is not supported.

CtixWTP.png

Why? It is still getting security updates, you still get drivers for it and there is no need for an upgrade, only in special cases.

Toki767

Why? It is still getting security updates, you still get drivers for it and there is no need for an upgrade, only in special cases.

Windows 10 is faster, more efficient, and overall just a better product in my opinion. Plus it was being given out for free.

JawzPause

SMH at people complaining about no Win 7. You have no leg to stand on when Win 10 is a free upgrade. It even runs better and boots faster than Win 7.
I upgraded to windows 10. It deactives a LOT of my drivers on my laptop. My multi touch mouse features simply stop working and my bluetooth is disabled.
I spent a while trying to fix it to no avail.
So i downgraded back to windows 7.
So yes, i have every right to complain.

c0de

Windows 10 is faster, more efficient, and overall just a better product in my opinion. Plus it was being given out for free.

Faster in terms of what? More efficient in terms of what?
I have win10 running in a VM with classic shell and I do think it's a nice os but why do I want to upgrade, like at all? Win7 has no load when I am doing nothing and I have plenty of RAM available.

Well 6 years and 10 months is still pretty old, I agree unless there is a reason for it not working on Windows 7 it seems strange to not include it.

Toki767

Faster in terms of what? More efficient in terms of what?
I have win10 running in a VM with classic shell and I do think it's a nice os but why do I want to upgrade, like at all? Win7 has no load when I am doing nothing and I have plenty of RAM available.

Faster to boot, uses less system resources, system wide notifications panel, better file explorer, better overall management of your space.

There are a lot of reasons to upgrade to Windows 10. I guess if you have driver issues, that's a fair reason to stay on Windows 7, but I would hope most companies have updated their drivers by now.

Nev

Banned
People saying it's time to move on from W7 and basically calling people dinosaurs for using it. I for one won't go back to W10 after installing it on my laptop and losing an average of 15fps in every game and making even League of Legends an unplayable stuttering mess. There's no significant new features either so I will keep my W7 over this new buggy garbage, free or not. It also made my laptop slower, by the way, so saying it's faster for everyone is not true.

Don't worry, I'm sure it'll take less than a month for people to make it work on 7. Enjoy the mediocre buggy OS Microsoft forced down your throat.

I cant get it to connect manually to my ps4 even though its sitting right next to me. So is the router. Internet connection works fine though

c0de

Faster to boot

I already have an SSD in my computer.

uses less system resources

Don't have a problem with that at all.

system wide notifications panel

I don't even know what that means.

better file explorer

Better than TotalCommander? Doubt that. But hey, we will soon get bash and can use mc, right?

better overall management of your space.

What?

There are a lot of reasons to upgrade to Windows 10. I guess if you have driver issues, that's a fair reason to stay on Windows 7, but I would hope most companies have updated their drivers by now.

I still don't see a reason why I should upgrade, sorry. Computer works perfectly (even when I have to boot Win7).

Ristlager

Having trouble getting this to work with my iMac, can´t find the PS4. Writing the 8 digit number code gets an error as well. Anyone know what could be wrong? They are hardwired together.

Toki767

If you guys don't want to upgrade, that's on you. I'm sure someone will probably figure out a way to get it to run on Windows 7 anyway. Just have patience (or figure out how to do it yourself).

Having trouble getting this to work with my iMac, can´t find the PS4. Writing the 8 digit number code gets an error as well. Anyone know what could be wrong? They are hardwired together.

Are you trying to pair things manually? The app on PC just asked me to sign into my PSN account.

virtualS

People saying it's time to move on from W7 and basically calling people dinosaurs for using it. I for one won't go back to W10 after installing it on my laptop and losing an average of 15fps in every game and making even League of Legends an unplayable stuttering mess. There's no significant new features either so I will keep my W7 over this new buggy garbage, free or not. It also made my laptop slower, by the way, so saying it's faster for everyone is not true.

Don't worry, I'm sure it'll take less than a month for people to make it work on 7. Enjoy the mediocre buggy OS Microsoft forced down your throat.

DX12 is a pretty nifty new feature, especially when done right.

Alej

Banned
Hi guys, my laptop (that is running on Win10 and updated as Windows update doesn't download anything) seems to have a problem to troubleshoot.

I did try to install that remote play app on OP, but everytime i'm doing this it stops and says to me that i should install Win10 Media Feature pack (linking me with this: https://support.microsoft.com/fr-fr/kb/3099229). After i have installed that, it continues to say the same message again and again whenever i try to install the remote play app.

I don't know what to do.

I've been using it since pre-consumer preview last October and it was the most stable beta OS I've ever used, so much so I made it my primary OS and have not had any problems with it whatsoever. It's had two pretty big updates since then as well.

It's not buggy at all. Maybe your laptop is the problem and not Windows 10.

Ristlager

If you guys don't want to upgrade, that's on you. I'm sure someone will probably figure out a way to get it to run on Windows 7 anyway. Just have patience (or figure out how to do it yourself).

Are you trying to pair things manually? The app on PC just asked me to sign into my PSN account.

Tried both options, no go on both of them :(

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I still don't see a reason why I should upgrade, sorry. Computer works perfectly (even when I have to boot Win7).

Apart from it being a better OS, a free upgrade and apps like this only supported on Win10. I can't think of a single reason.

Ogawa-san

Hi guys, my laptop (that is running on Win10 and updated as Windows update doesn't download anything) seems to have a problem to troubleshoot.

I did try to install that remote play app on OP, but everytime i'm doing this it stops and says to me that i should install Win10 Media Feature pack (linking me with this: https://support.microsoft.com/fr-fr/kb/3099229). After i have installed that, it continues to say the same message again and again whenever i try to install the remote play app.

I don't know what to do.
Go to control panel, programs, "Turn Windows features on or off", enable "Media Features".

Top Bottom