• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tomorrow Children [OT] Where FTP means 'For The People'

HiVision

I love so many aesthetic aspects of this game, but the core gameplay loop is leaving me cold. Character actions require minimal inputs (e.g., walk over to something and press a button to mine) and everything you work to create is dismissed when it reaches its apex (e.g., your town and its various structures).

If there were more platforming, exploration, or involved combat mechanics, I think I'd be much more hooked. And of course permanence. I still haven't become a resident anywhere because it feels like it won't be my house. It's just some temporary shack.

There is quite a bit of platforming and exploration in some of the larger islands.. and there are a lot of large islands. As for interaction with objects, you can also kick and throw of course. The game is a sandbox though, don't worry too much about the mining aspect, just play around and explore the structures; potter around a bit.

Also, best to place your house in a town as it does give you a sense of "roots" and permanence and also gives you privileges at the workbench. (you also get a 20% party privilege bonus when the town is cleared). The cleared towns have a purpose that will be revealed down the line and you'll be able to re-enter them for said purpose.

HiVision

andylsun

If your population count also went down drastically as a result of the lack of food you'd know it was one of the towns affected. Right now all apple consumption is really low until the real fix gets patched in next week.

I've seen population drop by 100 due to a lack of food in my towns (350-250). Sound about right?

bitbydeath

If your population count also went down drastically as a result of the lack of food you'd know it was one of the towns affected. Right now all apple consumption is really low until the real fix gets patched in next week.

So the big patch comes next week?

The inner-town feud between ShenmueBE & I appears to be over after 4 days of back-and-forth. He's contributing instead of annoying, I'm no longer painting his house red and placing dumpsters at his front door, and he placed a nice street lamp & bench by my house across the way.

The truce is real... and now we can be jolly, hard-working neighbors. Rejoice!

Edit:
Update- (50 min later) the truce is shattered. Damnit!!!!

HiVision

The inner-town feud between ShenmueBE & I appears to be over after 4 days of back-and-forth. He's contributing instead of annoying, I'm no longer painting his house red and placing dumpsters at his front door, and he placed a nice street lamp & bench by my house across the way.

Edit:

Maybe he suffers from bi-polar... has his ups and downs :)

somme

Edit:

If only there was a way to set his house on fire.

Keep us updated, this is actually quite funny to read. :D

bitbydeath

Lol, that'd be funny if you could generate a small storm cloud over his house.

That said I still haven't seen a lightning storm/rain ingame yet, hopefully that gets added to not just be a perk/crystal thing at some point.

HiVision

Lol, that'd be funny if you could generate a small storm cloud over his house.

That said I still haven't seen a lightning storm/rain ingame yet, hopefully that gets added to not just be a perk/crystal thing at some point.

It's already available in the game! Look at void powers. :)

Forgot when this was going free to play. Glad it got bumped since it prompted me to check and I'm a month late. I did enjoy the beta so this should be fun.

PrinceKee

Is there an IGN town and how do I join? Just downloaded and need people to play with and show me the ropes. Was in the beta, but really didn't play enough to know what I was doing. PSN is PrinceKee...

andylsun

Is there an IGN town and how do I join? Just downloaded and need people to play with and show me the ropes. Was in the beta, but really didn't play enough to know what I was doing. PSN is PrinceKee...

try picking a town with a population of around 300-400. There will be enough people who know what to do. Try spending some time on one task then move to another. Perhaps start with moving resources around from island to bus stop or bus stop to storage. Then go exploring on islands looking for the resources you moved, craft a few saplings and plant gen and pick the food.

Edit: sorry Dylan, this has been put aside for a bit of how to train your Trico. Will be back after beating that game.

Sadly there have been no funny updates. Either the guy has abandoned the town, isn't playing as much, or has lost his troll-edge.
*shrug*

In unfortunate news, the town- the green and yellow pea-soup majesty that is Galusova, is almost completely dead. The last few days I've jumped on I'm usually only one of two people there. Food is long gone, wood is gone, and I end up spending an hour or two trying in vain to replenish just for everything to be gone the next time I log in.

I did see the remnants of annoying jackrammer platforms covering the ground of the town's supply drop-off when I logged in yesterday; possibly a lonely reminder of the still lingering fuckery of our bridge-dwelling comrade ShenmueBE. However, I can't be certain it was his doing.

I shall carry on, though... in the dim hope that one day I can bask in RESTORATION glory!

Awaiting Shipment when items are out of stock is a deal breaker for me though. Waiting 7:50 <what? minutes, hours? in-game, real time?> for Comrade-grade tools for example is ridiculous.
Welp, I had assumed the limited quantity would be for the special varieties only. Hopefully I can still buy doubles of the same tool in one go for specific islands.

The animation is gone when your pouch is full, that is a good thing.
Animation used to be a non-issue a while ago though; head-shaking was there for each time, but it was only recently where they also made it so that you couldn't move until it was finished. Peculiar little tweak.

HiVision

We will be adjusting this - the huge rush of people suddenly going to buy the special tools took us by surprised as we had chosen values based on previous patterns which were fine.

The system has been changed to encourage the building of more shops to get more variations - so towns can differentiate themselves a little better. Up until now every town had the same set of same shops and there was no reason to build more than one.

andylsun

My town has a Christmas Tree with a light up top!

QW4c2DPl.jpg

Completed TLG (amazing game) so back to work...

Anyone else like working on abandoned towns, with just one or two other people instead of 20?

Anyways, love your game, please keep updating and delivering!

Hold Triangle to shake trees.Whem i played the game, that thing was just frustrating, i want to get am apple and i shake the tree, shake and get on the same button is just bad.

I also had a shitload of crashes on the pro but the latest patch seems to have solved it. Still the connection timeouts every once in a while.
Fell in love with this little weird game, never felt like spending money though so I hope others do so it keeps getting updates. It's a wonderful relaxing game for me, exploring the islands is really mesmerizing sometimes.

Maybe I should buy the soundtrack to show some support, never did before on PSN, can you copy the tracks to other devices?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Yesterday after login in the game i received 1 bag with a 3 letter name i don't remember but i don't have it in my inventory. Where i can find this bag i have for free?

bitbydeath

Yesterday after login in the game i received 1 bag with a 3 letter name i don't remember but i don't have it in my inventory. Where i can find this bag i have for free?

Go into a house where you change clothes, you can also change bags there but need to hit something like L1 to see the bag list.

qcf x2

I adore the aesthetic of this game but I just did not find it fun. It all felt like work, aside from some of the platforming aspects of the islands--but that wasn't a full enough experience. I would pay top dollar for a more traditional and social game within the same world/aesthetic.

I do think it nails the oppressiveness of the era it draws from, but in a bad way... too much oppression, too much work, too little interaction with my disappearing/individually irrelevant comrades, too little variation and possibilities. Convert it into a true sandbox/minecraft and it would be golden, imo.

hamsjams

I signed up for this forum specifically to come into this thread and ask for help in dealing with trolls. Unfortunately, that was a few months ago and it took too long for my account to be activated. I still wanted to make my very first post in this community, though.

I'm a fan of action-packed games and highly doubted I'd enjoy this at all until the beta. It just is not my type of game, on paper. Every time I play I'm still shocked that I'm enjoying the time and I'm very grateful for it.

For several reasons I've been very stressed, depressed, and angry lately. But if I put this game in I'm chilled out in half an hour. It's not even that it's a distraction. This game just straight up makes me happier when I play. It's not perfect. I only play sporadically. But it never fails to improve my mood, at least a little. It means a lot to me, and I'm so glad I gave that beta a chance. I'm thankful to the dev team for making it.

bitbydeath

How was the general reception of the game? Gaf seens a bit quiet on it. I will start playing tomorrow :)

GAF is quiet on it, REDDIT has a larger community, two infact.

I was playing it on a daily basis over the Xmas break, still lots of people playing.

I still enjoy it although it can make time disappear from you.

HiVision

GAF is quiet on it, REDDIT has a larger community, two infact.

I was playing it on a daily basis over the Xmas break, still lots of people playing.

I still enjoy it although it can make time disappear from you.

Yeah, we had a great influx of players over the christmas break including a bunch of people who came back after a few months.

I just can't get over the calming nature of this game... yes, despite some jackass constantly placing things in front of my house (which is still happening). :p

Just get me on an island with things for me to mine/cut/gather, have Embers Behind Glass or Girl at Play drifting along in the background, and I find myself completely lost in the experience.

Even after all the hours I've sunk into this game it continues to be weirdly beautiful.
If you ever have the time (or if it's out there already in an interview I don't know about), I'd be delighted to hear about how this game - from the basic gameplay idea to the design aesthetics- were formed. Did it come from a dream? Something from childhood?

The medium needs more projects like The Tomorrow Children. :)

HiVision

I just can't get over the calming nature of this game... yes, despite some jackass constantly placing things in front of my house (which is still happening). :p

Just get me on an island with things for me to mine/cut/gather, have Embers Behind Glass or Girl at Play drifting along in the background, and I find myself completely lost in the experience.

Even after all the hours I've sunk into this game it continues to be weirdly beautiful.
If you ever have the time (or if it's out there already in an interview I don't know about), I'd be delighted to hear about how this game - from the basic gameplay idea to the design aesthetics- were formed. Did it come from a dream? Something from childhood?

The medium needs more projects like The Tomorrow Children. :)

I agree (obviously), but review sites really didn't like it which disappointed me (obviously) and makes it harder to have the confidence to make something as extreme/different again.

The core ideas are a combination of elements from my childhood, growing up in the 70s in England. The cold war was raging, the tv was full of spy thrillers and more abstract shows like The Avengers and The Prisoner (there is a no. 6 sticker available in the game as a homage). Thunderbirds of course. However, a few years back I took an interest in Czech animation and puppetry after seeing an exhibition here in Kyoto which showed their almost real-life sized puppets with deformed/exaggerated features etc and all hand-carved of course. The characters looked so interesting/creepy and intriguing, and seeing as we were working with an eastern european/cold war/iron curtain theme, it seemed a perfect opportunity to try using that style in a game.

I sent our principal artists to the Czech republic to study for a week and after that the course was set!

As for the marxism, that came from the word "share" which was a keyword for all ps4 developers starting new projects back before the ps4 came out. So I took that a step further to "communal".. and wondered what it would be like to play a game about altruism/sharing to others.

Top Bottom