• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

Yeah I kind of wish Athena got booted. She's a boring character and the Mood matrix is pretty trash. Give me more Trucy and Ema.

Forensics>>>Apollo's Ring=Psyche Locks>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mood Matrix.
I think she's a good character, but I'd take Trucy as a partner for Apollo over her any day. She probably should have gone with Phoenix, but they needed to bring Maya back I guess.

If we're gonna boot someone boot Apollo, Athena had a more interesting arc, personality, and ability in one game compared to herr forehead's bland nothingness across 2. DD literally tried to cyborg raiden him and he still sucked.
Apollo has the best inner monologue though. Most of the laugh out loud moments in Dual Destinies were still from him.

how soon AA games go on sale? I have a huge backlog, and I am not sure if I will be able to play for the next few weeks, so maybe I should just wait and not buy today

rotpb517

Hard to believe its been 3 years since DD... I remember having a good time with it though, laughing at all the absurd plot twists with my gf and figuring out cases together. I'll probably give this one a shot too, the reviews seem positive enough

Hard to believe its been 3 years since DD... I remember having a good time with it though, laughing at all the absurd plot twists with my gf and figuring out cases together. I'll probably give this one a shot too, the reviews seem positive enough

...IT'S BEEN 3 YEARS?!

latest

you were already answered but I thought it was worth noting: Noriyuki Iwadare, the composer of Trials and Tribulations, has now become sort of "the" Ace Attorney composer since Investigations, doing that and its sequel as well as AA5 and AA6. So from that angle it definitely makes sense that he'd be returning to his own work.

Also worth noting that while this is true of the mainline ace team (or as i like to call them, Capcom's b-team), Shu Takumi's team has taken a liking to the Ace vs. Layton composer Yasumasa Kitagawa who has now done two ace attorney games that Takumi has directed.

mp1990

Banned
An argument could be made for the serenade case being as bad as Turnabout Big Top, but then again, I haven't replayed 2 in a loong time so my memory of it is not the best.

Man I really wish this and SMT didn't come out in the same month.

Oh yeah, I had completely erased that one from my mind (alongside all non-Takumi AAs), but they do match when it comes to lack of quality. You could even argue that Serenade is worse because you have to watch the same video from that woman singing at least 3 times iirc :p

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

zakujanai

I'll never understand why these games can't have variable text speed. I despise having to press to advance the text and then press again to make the whole text box appear. Who reads that slow?

mp1990

Banned
I LOVE this music. It's so underrated. The entire first game had an outstanding soundtrack. It gave off a unique, "home-y" vibe that's hard for me to describe.

I'm not sure how to put that sentiment in words, but I wholeheartedly agree with you lol.

Kinsei

Banned
In hindsight, I agree with this, the case is not very well put together and doesn't really pay off after the interesting catch. That said, it's so much more entertaining than Turnabout Big Top that I feel like we're not giving it its due credit when we compare the two cases. Nothing in the series compares to how bad Turnabout Big Top is, NOTHING, and I don't even think JfA is a bad game like most of the fanbase do.

Turnabout Big Top had some interesting ideas and the basic plot of the case was sound, it was the execution and the characters that was bad. Recipe for Turnabout and Turnabout Serenade have absolutely no redeeming qualities.

I'll never understand why these games can't have variable text speed. I despise having to press to advance the text and then press again to make the whole text box appear. Who reads that slow?
I read fast but I let the text play out because it's usually that way for dramatic effect.

Turnabout Big Top had some interesting ideas and the basic plot of the case was sound, it was the execution and the characters that was bad. Recipe for Turnabout and Turnabout Serenade have absolutely no redeeming qualities.
Complete nonsense. Turnabout Serenade stars the Gavinners, baby! It's probably my second favorite case in Apollo after Trump, despite the video and Machi.

Galafar

Neo Member

It's done deliberately like that to emulate talking.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I think she's a good character, but I'd take Trucy as a partner for Apollo over her any day. She probably should have gone with Phoenix, but they needed to bring Maya back I guess.

She's an OK character in my book. I didn't hate her, was just a bit underwhelmed. I liked DD a lot, but from a cast perspective she really doesn't add anything to the mix as a regular. Trucy, Ema, and Maya are all great characters, with the former two being criminally under utilized and Ema being partially sabotaged in Apollo Justice.

Removed from everything else she's a decent character, but knowing that she's more or less stealing screen time from characters I find far more likable and interesting really colors my opinion of her in a negative way.

Hold down the A button to fast forward then? Its not about reading speed they want to accentuate the animations with the pace of someone talking on the stand. When the person on the stand gets more infurriated or frustrated then the text speed increases dramatically.

Not sure though beyond that why they never had variable text speed as even pokemon has had that since day 1 I think?

daydream

Banned
this game sure has an upward battle to win with me. the last aas including aai have all been top notch and i've always been of the opinion that games like aa3 really suffered from the spiritual nonsense

so a game full of that, well, we shall see

mp1990

Banned

The only interesting draw in Big Top is the setting, but it's so poorly utilized it only detracts from the case. And everything else about it is just downhill, the characters are all sorts of annoying (notably Moe the Clown,to whom I hereby give the title of worst character in the series), the twists are incredibly silly
(like, taking revenge for your brother because he sneezed in front of a lion's mouth and got his head bitten? AA was never a serious franchise but c'mon, lol)
, and the outcome is downright a joke, like,
in the end everything was just an coincidence?
. I tried to like it, because honestly I find JfA to be a good game, but I couldn't swallow it. Turnabout for Recipe is poorly executed, but the concept of Phoenix being indicted for a crime he has no idea it happened is at least appealing.

(like, taking revenge for your brother because he sneezed in front of a lion's mouth and got his head bitten? AA was never a serious franchise but c'mon, lol)

All Bat did was wear a scarf with Pepper on it. The lion sneezed and while sneezing, bit down.

zakujanai

That dancing scene was waaaaay too long.

I really just want to get started on a trial, this has to be the most protracted intro of any AA game.

GameXplain gave the game a fucking terrible review, but the reviewer says Trucy is one of his least favorite characters so you might want to view it as an endorsement.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Haven't found myself terribly excited about this game, but will play it. Trails of Cold Steel 2 takes priority for me, though, so I'll buy it once I finish that.

i know the dlc costumes are free for the first week but it doesn't include the sengoku basara costumes correct?

cause no way capcom na remembers sengoku basara exists

I was super LTTP for this series a couple of years ago. Luckily I was able to play every game back to back in one glorious sitting prior to AA5's release.

It'll be downloading as soon as I get home, I am SOOO ready for this.

Menitta

I started a new game and created a save file, but when I go to "View DLC" it goes into a loading screen and just takes me back to the Extra's and DLC menu. Am I doing something wrong?

I started a new game and created a save file, but when I go to "View DLC" it goes into a loading screen and just takes me back to the Extra's and DLC menu. Am I doing something wrong?
I'm wondering if we need to get to a certain point in the first case?

mp1990

Banned
All Bat did was wear a scarf with Pepper on it. The lion sneezed and while sneezing, bit down.

Oh yeah, that. I'm not sure if it makes it any better though, lol.

aaaaaand I bought it. Welp. Now to find time to juggle between 6 and Investigations.

Jazzem

Bought it while away from the house, was downloaded when I came home! Yay for minor conveniences :D

Weirdly, I'm finding the menus a bit laggy, things like the options and dialogue history are a bit slow to load and navigate...plus I swear the frame rate dips when putting on 3D mode, it's giving me Pokémon battle flashbacks!

Super charming so far otherwise :) Ace Attorney's art style made the transition so well to 3D character models.

I'm wondering if we need to get to a certain point in the first case?

You needed to finish the first case in the JP version to do something I remember, don't remember exactly what

I got the DLC by saving and exiting
just after I took to the bench in case 1

Menitta

You needed to finish the first case in the JP version to do something I remember, don't remember exactly what

Ok.That's weird. It wasn't that way for Dual Destinies. I was able to buy the DLC once starting the first trial. Wonder why it's different.

Joqu

I didn't need to finish anything, EU here. Saved as soon as I could and went back to the main menu. It worked.

Top Bottom