• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulator Screenshot Thread

Flappy

Banned
Streets of Rage (Fusion. 50% Scanlines)

EhR6p15.jpg

Sonic The Hedgehog (Fusion. 50% Scanlines)

bpwQxBv.jpg

F-Zero (ZSNES. 50% Scanlines)

TfzY7Ey.jpg

gelf

Panzer Dragoon Zwei in Open GL mode on Yabause:

8DYML5j.jpg

XlOUgO8.jpg

Its amazing this game actually had a widescreen option given when it was made.

flohen95

Valkyria Chronicles 3
vc32huvb.png

Soul Calibur Broken Destiny
scbd7vu6t.png

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
ccffvii2oumy.png

Wow at those Galaxy pics.
Yeah, Galaxy looks absolutely awesome. The artstyle really pays of and rendered like that, it could without problems pass as a new game. Makes me sad that my laptop is far too weak to run Dolphin.

Stuart444

Digimon Adventure PSP (PPSSPP, 4x Native Resolution, FXAA)

Took this while testing out settings for Digimon Adventure PSP so figured I'd post it. Might post some more interesting shots from this game later on if I get a chance.

Looks great in the emulator though.

bomblord1

Banned
Valkyria Chronicles 3

Soul Calibur Broken Destiny
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII

Yeah, Galaxy looks absolutely awesome. The artstyle really pays of and rendered like that, it could without problems pass as a new game. Makes me sad that my laptop is far too weak to run Dolphin.

Wow wow wow those are PSP games

Yiazmat

PCSX2 (PS2) - Dragon Quest VIII - 6x Native Scaling

pcsx2-r57102015-01-043muor.png

PCSX2 (PS2) - Final Fantasy XII - 6x Native Scaling, 4xAA

pcsx2vbuwk.png

tebunker

Banned
PCSX2 (PS2) - Final Fantasy XII - 6x Native Scaling, 4xAA

pcsx2vbuwk.png

Care to PM or share your FF XII settings? I can get the game to run but it just dies during the in game cut scenes, and by dies I mean it just goes from looking stunning to choppy to barely running.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Dragon Quest 8 needs a remaster. 1080p with MSAA would make that game shine

bomblord1

Banned
Digimon Adventure PSP (PPSSPP, 4x Native Resolution, FXAA)

Took this while testing out settings for Digimon Adventure PSP so figured I'd post it. Might post some more interesting shots from this game later on if I get a chance.

Looks great in the emulator though.

Looks surprisingly good.

Yiazmat

Care to PM or share your FF XII settings? I can get the game to run but it just dies during the in game cut scenes, and by dies I mean it just goes from looking stunning to choppy to barely running.
The first time I tried to run FFXII it was also super slow, turned out it had something to do with the pcsx2 version I had. Maybe try updating to the latest version or even one of the development builds.

here are my settings:

Scaling: 6x (you only really need 4x btw)
Texture filtering
Allow 8-bit textures
Enable HW Hacks

In Hardware Hacks enable the 'Aggressive-CRC' option and the 'Half-pixel Offset' option to remove the ghosting effect from the cutscenes.

I'm also using all of the speedhacks except the 'Enable fast CDVD'.

Hahahaha friend saw this one and said "They are either handcuffed or peeing"

Dat body language
Your friend was right, they are
cuffed

FFXII looks so god damn good in high res. I started a game on PCSX2 a while ago but didn't get terribly far. This thread is making me consider another go.

SparkTR

This thread reminds me how badly I want there to be an OG Xbox emulator. I bought an Xbox and about 20 games precisely due to there being no emulator, and they all look like shit on my TV. Borderline unplayable. So much detail is lost.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Xenoblade on Dolphin is fantastic.
2hXBHCv.jpg

Makna Forest is where I decided that if I had to play the game on a Wii, I wouldn't be playing it. All the foliage makes it an indecipherable mess of pixels. It's such a beautiful area but all of the detail is lost in upscaling.

finalflame

Gold Member
Makna Forest is where I decided that if I had to play the game on a Wii, I wouldn't be playing it. All the foliage makes it an indecipherable mess of pixels. It's such a beautiful area but all of the detail is lost in upscaling.

Makna forest is the one part of the game where my i5-4670K @ 4.5ghz started to fall short. Performance was pretty much perfect everywhere except Makna forest. But, to compensante,
Frontier Village
was absolutely breathtaking in downscaled 8K @ 1440p with full AA and AF. One of my favorite areas of the game.

I just hope they release an honest-to-goodness HD version with X for the WiiU. It is unlikely, since they have the N3DS version coming, but a man can dream.

gelf

It's threads like this that make me feel stupid for buying retro games rather than just emulating them.
I will only emulate what I already own anyway. I know that's not much different legally but I feel better morally.

I bought the whole Mega Drive Steam collection never used it and just played the same games in a better emulator.

I will only emulate what I already own anyway. I know that's not much different legally but I feel better morally.

I bought the whole Mega Drive Steam collection never used it and just played the same games in a better emulator.

Stuff like that doesn't really bother me to be honest.

flohen95

It's threads like this that make me feel stupid for buying retro games rather than just emulating them.

Actually, you would be stupid to just download those games without buying them. I only post pictures of games I actually dumped myself, which, where I live, is allowed (I am allowed to create a backup copy of games that I own, under the regulation that I have to back it up myself and that I have to delete said backup copy once I get rid of or lose the original, which, yes, defeats the purpose of a backup copy). You should do that too. I know that not many people care about the legality, but iirc GAF mods do.

My retro collection is big. Not huge, but big. And I'm still buying games every year. While not exactly retro, I only got my PSP in 2012 and have more than 40 games for it now. Emulation to me is not a means of playing those games, it's just that curiosity gets the best of me and I want to see how they look when rendered in resolutions several times higher than intended. It's not practical for me to play them like that anyway - my laptop is pretty shit and while every PSP game I have runs full speed at 4x native on it (~1080p), the contrast between UI and the rest of the game just doesn't make it enjoyable to me. Also, there's a lot of 2D games that don't really benefit from it.

Now if you don't care about the legality of it, you can just play, yes. But know that what you are doing is illegal, and that's not going to change regardless of what YOU think about it. It's also probably not advised to talk about that here. But I don't want to derail this wonderful thread any further. You go ahead doing what you think is best - just don't bring it here, alright?

Dunkley

Why should it? I'd feel dumb just to pirate them since it's nice to actually own them for collection purposes (and well, moral reasons)

I only emulate games I bought and ripped.

For example as to why, I occasionally play my PS2 collection on PC because the only PS2 I own, after my NTSC FAT didn't make the trip to Europe, is a European model that barely reads disks anymore, so I dumped my NTSC and PAL disk collection on PC, load them over the network to my PS2 or emulate them on the PC when I want to play. Depending on emulator accuracy there's some games I'd rather have on the original hardware, and some that do nice on emulator.

Or I emulate games like Xenoblade or other Wii games from my collection just because they scale up rather nicely. The ripping process might take a while unless there's something new on the Wii ripping scene I missed that isn't over homebrew on the console, but in the long shot it definitely feels better to see what you own in a new format, in a new form, rather than just illegally downloading games off the internet and never playing them as they were meant to be on their original hardware first.

finalflame

Gold Member
Why should it? I'd feel dumb just to pirate them since it's nice to actually own them for collection purposes (and well, moral reasons)

For example as to why, I occasionally play my PS2 collection on PC because the only PS2 I own, after my NTSC FAT didn't make the trip to Europe, is a European model that barely reads disks anymore, so I dumped my NTSC and PAL disk collection on PC, load them over the network to my PS2 or emulate them on the PC when I want to play. Depending on emulator accuracy there's some games I'd rather have on the original hardware, and some that do nice on emulator.

Or I emulate games like Xenoblade or other Wii games from my collection just because they scale up rather nicely. The ripping process might take a while unless there's something new on the Wii ripping scene I missed that isn't over homebrew on the console, but in the long shot it definitely feels better to see what you own in a new format, in a new form, rather than just illegally downloading games off the internet and never playing them as they were meant to be on their original hardware first.

Really? You go through the time and trouble of ripping all those games, making sure you have a compatible optical drive to do so, converting them, etc, when you could just download the exact same image from a torrent?

I only emulates games I own, but I honestly skip the BS and just download the image. Faster, easier, and I don't feel bad at all because I paid for the game anyways. Not that Nintendo is getting that money, as I most likely bought older games used, but still.

I don't know, just seems silly to actually go through the trouble of ripping games. What about N64 games? SNES games? GBA? DS? Do you have the dedicated hardware to read those proprietary formats and rip them? And if not, would you feel bad downloading the image if you already own the game?

They just look a lot nicer than what the hardware can do. Especially old PSX games with crappy framerates and hideous textures. Feels like a lot of just takes up room honestly. That's and people telling you "omg don't stretch your old games on HDTV" nonsense.

Lime

Maybe I'll post some of my PCSX2 shots later when I get home. Some really great shots in this thread.

Dr. Buni

I have some Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne screenshots, but they are very spoiler heavy. Can I post them?
But if you don't buy the game, you are pirating it. Isn't that against NeoGAF terms of service? :eek:

Actually, you would be stupid to just download those games without buying them. I only post pictures of games I actually dumped myself, which, where I live, is allowed (I am allowed to create a backup copy of games that I own, under the regulation that I have to back it up myself and that I have to delete said backup copy once I get rid of or lose the original, which, yes, defeats the purpose of a backup copy). You should do that too. I know that not many people care about the legality, but iirc GAF mods do.

My retro collection is big. Not huge, but big. And I'm still buying games every year. While not exactly retro, I only got my PSP in 2012 and have more than 40 games for it now. Emulation to me is not a means of playing those games, it's just that curiosity gets the best of me and I want to see how they look when rendered in resolutions several times higher than intended. It's not practical for me to play them like that anyway - my laptop is pretty shit and while every PSP game I have runs full speed at 4x native on it (~1080p), the contrast between UI and the rest of the game just doesn't make it enjoyable to me. Also, there's a lot of 2D games that don't really benefit from it.

Now if you don't care about the legality of it, you can just play, yes. But know that what you are doing is illegal, and that's not going to change regardless of what YOU think about it. It's also probably not advised to talk about that here. But I don't want to derail this wonderful thread any further. You go ahead doing what you think is best - just don't bring it here, alright?

So are you going to delete your backups if your originals ever become non-functional until you can replace them with a functional copy?

Red

Twilight Princess - Wii - Emulated on Dolphin
(don't remember my settings, probably 8x SSAA with bells and whistles)

dolphin2011-11-0913-5pcudw.png

dolphin2011-11-1122-1xuurq.png

dolphin2011-11-1122-1jqu6f.png

Garteal

Nice to have a dedicated thread for this now. Some old ones.

Xenoblade Chronicles
iblyGLlUorysOo.png

The Last Story
iHJDSbzNJKgDA.png

Super Mario Galaxy 2
irVAOFK9FK1TE.png

Top Bottom