• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue Community Thread | Still lookin' for sailors

Spaghetti

There was a thread about it. It's still pretty cool though.

Also - Gamescom next week. Shenmue III info comin' down the pipe soon.

No idea when the news is breaking, but I'd assume the 22nd considering it's the press day of the event before it opens for the general public.

A Kickstarter update is due to go live at the same time as new info/media gets revealed to the press, and there will be reps from Shenmue fan groups like the Dojo, 500K, Master, etc, at Gamescom covering what comes out.

Spaghetti

I don't know how many of you still hang around here now, but I thought I'd plug this just in case:

Shenmue Lounge is launching on Monday 30th October.

Shenmue Lounge is an initiative from Peter Campbell (ShenmueGuru on here, formerly of the Dojo & its initial livestreams) to keep up exposure and representation of the series on streaming platforms. If any of you have been in on Peter's older streams before, you'd know it's a nice and chilled out place to have positive talk about the series/just hang out/have a laugh. I'll leave the details to the announcement video.

The first stream next Monday will also be covering Sony's Paris Games Week conference, because of the possibility of Shenmue HD finally being announced there. There's a chance YSnet drops the monthly Shenmue III update on Kickstarter by Monday too, so that might get discussed as well.

Hope to see some of you there.

Shenmue Lounge Twitter

I don't know how many of you still hang around here now, but I thought I'd plug this just in case:

Shenmue Lounge is an initiative from Peter Campbell (ShenmueGuru on here, formerly of the Dojo & its initial livestreams) to keep up exposure and representation of the series on streaming platforms. If any of you have been in on Peter's older streams before, you'd know it's a nice and chilled out place to have positive talk about the series/just hang out/have a laugh. I'll leave the details to the announcement video.

The first stream next Monday will also be covering Sony's Paris Games Week conference, because of the possibility of Shenmue HD finally being announced there. There's a chance YSnet drops the monthly Shenmue III update on Kickstarter by Monday too, so that might get discussed as well.

Shenmue Lounge Twitter

I can't send an invite to our discord because there's a 10 minute PM rule but you'll get one soon. Come join us.

Erevador

I can't send an invite to our discord because there's a 10 minute PM rule but you'll get one soon. Come join us.
Is there a ShenmueGAF discord? Been active with you guys since before the Kickstarter (and the very exciting times during). Would be sad to see the community fracture and break apart...

Omikaru

I didn't know there was a ShenmueGAF community Discord. I've been a fan of the series for a long time, despite not really participating in the GAF community (and I won't be on GAF for much longer, quite frankly), but I'd love an invite if you guys would have me. Feel free to PM me.

It's a Retro oriented discord. Not sure if we're doing a Shenmue specific one. Might be better to hop into the discord so you guys can move to the new site once it's ready. I have work now but I'll send out more invites to you guys tonight.

Spaghetti

I can speak with Peter about possibly setting one up for Shenmue Lounge if there's an appetite for a Shenmue-specific Discord, but we'll see if the numbers are there for it to be worthwhile. Best way to get it is to tune in and ask.

I can speak with Peter about possibly setting one up for Shenmue Lounge if there's an appetite for a Shenmue-specific Discord, but we'll see if the numbers are there for it to be worthwhile. Best way to get it is to tune in and ask.

Sounds good. I'll be around the streams as much as I can as I always stream whilst working etc. Would always appreciate a PM to anything Shenmue related or ShenmueGAF related as I like all the Shenmue fans I've met on here.

Doubt I'll be posting here in light of recent events, but I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed this thread. It was nice to interact with other big Shenmue fans who could also remain grounded and realistic about their fandom and expectations for the new game.

Hopefully I'll see you again on another forum.

The OP is a thing of beauty.

It’s sad to think we won’t be together when Shenmue III finally releases :’(

Keep me in mind for any Discord shenanigans and keep friends and those you love close to you!

Spaghetti

ShenmueGAF where are you going? Our family is small when need to stick together :(
Gonna plug this again:

Shenmue Lounge Twitter

Might be a good place for ShenmueGAF to converge in the interim.

Erevador

Put up a new OT in the new place... hope to see you guys there!

Am of course open to adding new things and revising the OT as needed.

Erevador

What's the issue wth just being on Shenmue Dojo and/or 500k Facebook group?
Nothing wrong with being on all those place... but uh, perhaps you've noticed the migration of 7,000+ gaffers in the last 24 hours to somewhere in particular? Good to have a place for Shenmue discussion in what appears will be the new NeoGAF.

In any case, the OT is up over there and a few people have already popped in to say hi. Hope to see everyone over there if they feel like stopping by!

Nothing wrong with being on all those place... but uh, perhaps you've noticed the migration of 7,000+ gaffers in the last 24 hours to somewhere in particular? Good to have a place for Shenmue discussion in what appears will be the new NeoGAF.

In any case, the OT is up over there and a few people have already popped in to say hi. Hope to see everyone over there if they feel like stopping by!

You believe all of those 7000 have actually quit their account here ?

Erevador

You believe all of those 7000 have actually quit their account here ?
No, and I haven't quit mine. The theatricality of many exits is a bit much, and I'd like to stay in contact with the various wonderful communities on here during this period... but I do definitely get the sense that a real transition is taking place and that the experience that was GAF will in future primarily be taking place somewhere else. That inspires all kinds of mixed feelings for me, as I'm sure it does for everyone who has posted here for years.

That transition may take awhile though, so I want to keep contact and try and help these communities stay connected as much as possible.

The experience of the E3 of dreams, the Kickstarter, and the aftermath... all of that with ShenmueGAF was honestly a wild ride and an amazing experience. I'm grateful such a cool group of people came together here and pushed so passionately for that dream to go the extra mile.

I know for a fact that the enthusiasm of GAF posters drove many thousands of dollars worth of donations from those who wanted to see just what we were going on about. The people here who never gave up on Shenmue really are a not insignificant part of what made that moment happen.

Anways... it's been a real weird couple of days.

Mista

Banned
I'm keeping up to date with what's going on with you know, that other place... I expect large scale migration. I think a good portion of ShenmueGAF can regroup there.

Stay tuned...

Waiting for a code.....=)

i'm on slaent, will check out reset era whenever i catch the invite - we're not far fam, and shenmuedojo is a nice spot too

I hope we all be together on Reset Era!

openrob

Eh, I mean I enjoyed spending time in 500k Facebook to have my E3 discuss. Made a few friends on there as well. GAF was never the best place for Shenmue discuss :p

Spaghetti

Cross post from the KS thread for the new update:

Figured while I still have an account here I should at least keep the thread ticking over for people looking for information on the game.

Update #76 - Say Hello to the Deep Silver Promotion Team

Good housekeeping update. Gist of it is that they're moving away from the monthly update format, and more towards a traditional promotional cycle in 2018; which will be handled by Deep Silver. The update also mentions another Dev Room video is in the works, so that'll probably be the Christmas/New Years update next month.

So what events are we going to see Shenmue III at next? Well, there are a few options I can think of.

February - MAGIC Monaco 2018 - Run by Shibuya Productions, one of the financiers of Shenmue III. The game was previously there in 2016.

March - GDC - Apparently a favourite of Yu Suzuki. Yu took the original Shenmue to GDC, did his postmortem on the game there, and had secret meetings regarding III before the KS launched. Lot of Shenmue history at GDC.

June - E3 2018 - The big one. Shenmue III returning to E3 after three years. Probably a certainty, although I dunno if it'd make a press conference or not. Hopefully so. It could slot into Sony's show along other high-tier indies/AA titles.

I'd say later rather than sooner, but I've been wrong before. I guess it depends how that "2nd half of 2018" release window holds up. YSnet deserve the benefit of the doubt on that one, though Yu talking about Choubu possibly tripling in scope after Deep Silver's investment warms me up to the idea of a slip to 2019 for all the right reasons.

BANGS

Banned
I'm looking forward to the next real update. They're getting further and further apart it seems lol and we get more and more of these filler updates...

Spaghetti

I don't think this was filler at all.

It was a necessary update to keep backers in the loop as the game transitions more towards a traditional promotional cycle. Wasn't screens or a video, but we had all that in the Summer. This information was important to get out there all the same.

Now YSnet can freely skip monthly KS updates, we are probably going to see more meaningful content, but centred around game/media events; which makes sense.

BANGS

Banned
I liked my monthly updates. But it's really no big loss, it's not like they were doing even a halfway decent job with them before...

But hopefully things go into "normal" mode now like they are implying. I have a feeling we still have a long wait with alot of twists and turns along the way ahead of us. This will be an emotional roller coaster for me lol

Spaghetti

People will inevitably find a reason to complain about something, anything.

There were complaints about this update too, which is insane considering how white bread and inoffensively matter-of-fact it was about plans going forward.

I think there are just some people who like being the righteous, indignant gamer, but really they're just incredibly entitled, petty, and childish with no real sense of perspective. Big picture; it's a decision that benefits everybody.

BANGS

Banned
And there are those with superiority complexes who believe their own threads of logic are the only ones to be followed, but try not to let them bother you. I'm just pumped we will get this game eventually and it's more than a pipe dream :)

Spaghetti

And there are those with superiority complexes who believe their own threads of logic are the only ones to be followed, but try to let them bother you.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that this isn't specifically a dig at me.

But c'mon. Some people are really twisting themselves into pretzels getting mad at a rational decision that'll benefit everybody in the long term.

BANGS

Banned
People have reasons for their concerns and complaints. Some may be unfounded, some may be exaggerated, some may be debatable, but all are subjective. Not our place to judge, not everyone has the same set of values. What you may see as a good thing may be seen as a bad thing or something to at least be concerned about...

Remember this throughout all social interactions, not just discussions regarding Shenmue...

Spaghetti

I know, but it's such a mountain out of a molehill this time.

It's like some people stopped reading at the point it said YSnet are going to be easing off monthly updates. Like they didn't care to read that Deep Silver are planning bigger info drops in 2018 around gaming events, or that even that a new Dev Room update is in the works.

They don't care we've had two and a half years of almost unbroken monthly updates, or that it's so obvious that KS updates would have to take a back seat to proper promotion ramping up in 2018.

They found their thing to be mad about, and they don't care about anything else.

BANGS

Banned
To be fair, counting on deep silver to be promoting this game certainly is a cause for concern. Again, it's like like YSnet was doing a good job themselves, but DS has a pretty rough track record. That's why you got all these people crying like an anime fan on prom night...

Spaghetti

To be fair, counting on deep silver to be promoting this game certainly is a cause for concern. Again, it's like like YSnet was doing a good job themselves, but DS has a pretty rough track record. That's why you got all these people crying like an anime fan on prom night...
Deep Silver has promoted and distributed many more games than MN9 successfully. Just look at their recent history with SEGA; which was touted as one of the reasons Yu decided to partner with them.

It's just plain ignorance. There's no other word for it. Just read the KS comments. There's people making shit up left, right, and centre. Just begging for a worst possible outcome and for what? And the majority of it is completely unsubstantiated too. It's actually nuts.

A lot of the people complaining about less updates were the same people complaining the updates weren't substantial enough. Now they're being told there will be less updates in favour of bigger and more meaningful reveals at events... and they're still bitching.

They want to have their cake and eat it too. It's just so fucking entitled. It's maddening. Why would anybody want to make video games when you have to deal with these people?

BANGS

Banned
Deep Silver has promoted and distributed many more games than MN9 successfully. Just look at their recent history with SEGA; which was touted as one of the reasons Yu decided to partner with them.

They also have alot more disasters under their belt than just MN9. Again, it's something to be concerned about. No reason to cry that the sky is falling like many are, but definitely something to consider...

It's just plain ignorance. There's no other word for it. Just read the KS comments. There's people making shit up left, right, and centre. Just begging for a worst possible outcome and for what? And the majority of it is completely unsubstantiated too. It's actually nuts.

Welcome to the internet lmfao. No matter what the subject, whether it's carrots, war, or Shenmue, there will be a large amount of people that make zero sense...

A lot of the people complaining about less updates were the same people complaining the updates weren't substantial enough. Now they're being told there will be less updates in favour of bigger and more meaningful reveals at events... and they're still bitching.

They want to have their cake and eat it too. It's just so fucking entitled. It's maddening.

I'm partially one of these people. Fact is, we paid for a large chunk of development costs upfront in exchange for significant monthly updates. The monthly updates we have been getting have been garbage. Some were mildly interesting, some were cool, but most were just pathetic.

Now again, you have a point with some people. When we got that teaser video which was finally something substantial, there were still idiots picking it apart and bitching at every little thing. I completely undertstand your frustration with them. I was not one of those people and I was nothing but happy when I saw it. But in general as a backer, I AM entitled to significant monthly updates. I don't want to have my cake and eat it too, I just want my fucking cake that I paid for that I still never got. We haven't seen ANY gameplay at all outside of one QTE segment(which we already did in the 2nd game) and a quick snip of ryo walking around Shenhua's house moving furniture. We haven't seen any combat, any adventure mode, nothing... This game could be a telltale game and we wouldn't know the difference based on how little we've seen...

So you'll have to excuse me for not being excited or confident that ditching the monthly updates completely in exchange for "more significant" deep silverized updates will be a good thing. I'm not gonna bitch about it because it COULD end up being a good thing, but I'm certainly not celebrating either as it just as easily could be another disaster. I just continue to await whilst praying, as I have been since 2001...

Why would anybody want to make video games when you have to deal with these people?

Same reason you do any job, money...

Spaghetti

I don't think we're particularly going to find any common ground on this issue, but c'mon.

The updates are a consequence of the Kickstarter model, and things were always going to shift gears when the release got nearer. We got two and a half years of updates, 76 in 29/30 months. It was nice while it lasted, but that's not what we paid for. We paid to support the game. This isn't subjective. Updates and rewards; nice bonuses of the KS model. But the game comes first.

But you said it yourself, you want something substantial like the progress video from Gamescom, gameplay, whatever. And I agree, I'd like to see bigger things like that too, and the good news is we're going to get it under this new arrangement, but the consequence is regular KS updates are taking a back seat. There's give and take, like with everything.

Concentrate on the give. Because really, if you weren't all that hot on the updates already, what are you losing with the take? It's genuinely a better deal for you.

BANGS

Banned
I don't think we're particularly going to find any common ground on this issue, but c'mon.

It's cool I love the discussion...

The updates are a consequence of the Kickstarter model, and things were always going to shift gears when the release got nearer. We got two and a half years of updates, 76 in 29/30 months. It was nice while it lasted, but that's not what we paid for. We paid to support the game. This isn't subjective. Updates and rewards; nice bonuses of the KS model. But the game comes first.

While I agree the game ultimately comes first, you cannot project your own value of updates and such on others. We may value such things more or less than you do. Also half of those updates came in the first month before any sort of production had started. They updated daily during the campaign and crawled after that... amazing how that works...

But you said it yourself, you want something substantial like the progress video from Gamescom, gameplay, whatever. And I agree, I'd like to see bigger things like that too, and the good news is we're going to get it under this new arrangement, but the consequence is regular KS updates are taking a back seat. There's give and take, like with everything.

I mean if you take what they say at face value, absolutely I agree with you. But personally I'm a bit more skeptical...

Concentrate on the give. Because really, if you weren't all that hot on the updates already, what are you losing with the take? It's genuinely a better deal for you.

That doesn't mean I can't still be salty about the weak updates we did get, and again between that salt and my skepticism, I'm not exactly ready to celebrate.

However again I'm not one of those impossible to please people that will still bitch when we do get such updates. I will be celbrating then!

Spaghetti

Hey man, you don't need to talk to me about valuing the updates. You can check this thread and pretty much any other on GAF about Shenmue III. I enjoyed the updates, such as they were, and looked forward to them every month. If anything, I should be the one annoyed that they're moving off the monthly schedule.

But I'm not, because it's a long term decision and that's how I'm trying to see it. I'm sad the end-of-month update ritual won't be happening regularly anymore, but that's completely outshined by the quiet buzz of excitement knowing in 2018 we're going to see so much more of the game in a more organised way.

You're right that a large number of the updates were during the fundraising period, but even discounting those there's still more updates than months to this point, and at least one more still in the chamber. I'm not sure even the wildest dreamers wanted an update schedule as accelerated as during the fundraising, and it's pretty standard for updates to slow down as development actually starts (some don't even do a monthly schedule), so I'm not sure why you're making a comparison like that on pace.

It's just... puzzling, why some of the people who shouted so much about not liking the updates are now the ones also shouting the loudest in mourning for the monthly schedule. I think they just like getting angry. It's also a really weird juxtaposition when you think that Shenmue is a game series that has heavy themes of calmness and letting go of anger.

Like I said though, taking the long view is at the very least a more calming way to absorb this news.

BANGS

Banned
Yeah luckily I've been doing a great job since the announcement in 2015 to not get overly emotional in any form. I'm so pumped to be able to jump out of that shell though...

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Interview

unnamed.gif

Top Bottom