• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I am about to start buying some cryptocurrency. Would y'all recommend Coinbase of all of them?

Also how many of you leave your currency on an exchange versus putting in a wallet?

I am about to start buying some cryptocurrency. Would y'all recommend Coinbase of all of them?

Also how many of you leave your currency on an exchange versus putting in a wallet?

Coinbase is easiest when you are starting out. As for leaving on the exchange vs putting in wallet it really depends on the value and if it's worth the transaction fees to ensure it's safety. I usually don't keep more than $2-3k on exchanges.

Drifters

Coinbase is the easiest way to get in but if you plan on being in the game long term, make sure you sign up for GDAX as well to remove the stupid Coinbase tax of being the "easy" way to get BTC, ETH and LTC. As for leaving it on the exchange vs. wallet-- Choice is yours. However, just know that when you leave crypto on an exchange you don't technically own it since the block is shared with the exchange owner.

Also, ARK is jumping!

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

I left mine on BIttrex but after yesterday's scare I just caved and moved most of them to Coinomi. Ark's left on there because I don't have a desktop at home so I depend on mobile wallets.

If you're not dealing with large amounts of money you should be fine. After that I'd definitely move them off to ensure they become "yours".

I left mine on BIttrex but after yesterday's scare I just caved and moved most of them to Coinomi. Ark's left on there because I don't have a desktop at home so I depend on mobile wallets.

If you're not dealing with large amounts of money you should be fine. After that I'd definitely move them off to ensure they become "yours".

I took my ARK off of Bittrex, all of my ERC20 tokens accept BAT are in a wallet for months now. Only coins/tokens I have left on there now is BAT and Pivx. The Pivx wallet sucks so bad, it always needs to rebuild the damn database which is annoying. I am getting impatient with BAT that I am just thinking of dumping it and placing the money in either VTC or more ARK.

Drifters

From the ARK reddit page, good watch: https://youtu.be/zgrXgEJ0Mwc

tl;dw is if ARK successfully builds smart interconnects on top of blockchain using the upcoming ARKvm, then the ARK coin is about to explode. Basically its building compatibility with other blockchain apps.

Cipherr

Market only drops like this when its shaken the money out of everyone. I have some money pending to coinbase but it won't get there in time for tomorrow to catch this. And I did indeed spend my money I had in tether buying this very same dip about an hour ago.

Not mad though, got some great discounts. But its crazy how it never fails to make these drops until most people have their money tied up in stuff and can't really take advantage. I guess if people could, the buys would keep the prices from plummeting lol.

tzare

man these ups and downs seem so random most of the time. hard to make predictions. Wish i had some fiat on coinbase to buy some extra BTC/ETH

syllogism

News of XMR getting dumped for NAV is the rumor.
No substance to that rumor, just pure speculation. Palm beach report is supposedly dumping some of their Monero holdings for another privacy coin, everything beyond that is pure guesswork. It seems unlikely that they would dump Monero for NAV. If it's true, it's likely one of the more established privacy coins.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
No substance to that rumor, just pure speculation. Palm beach report is supposedly dumping their Monero holdings for another privacy coin, everything beyond that is pure guesswork. It seems unlikely that they would dump Monero for NAV. If it's true, it's likely one of the more established privacy coins.

No one really knows, but I do know that NAV is up 50% today. I will take it. NAV was the coin I decided to double down on during this latest market crash.

Edit: 60%... sheesh. Over a dollar.

syllogism

He does call the coin they are going recommend a small coin that reminds him of Antshares. I suppose it's possible.

e: I'm not sure if he is talking about a privacy coin in this video, these comments could refer to anything rather than a privacy coin

Donos

Thinking about selling all my NAV and taking that 60€ profit for buying more when it dips. That rise can't go any further with just the rumor about that Palm Beach Confidential Monero drop ...

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Thinking about selling all my NAV and taking that 60€ profit for buying more when it dips. That rise can't go any further with just the rumor about that Palm Beach Confidential Monero drop ...

Famous last words of so many people who invest in crypto, haha. "I'll get more XMR when it drops back to 70."

Edit: NAV up to 1.14. This is getting a little crazy. I usually hold, but I'd sell my entire stash at $2 and hope it goes down.

syllogism

If the only reason a coin is up nearly 100% is based on tenuous rumors about some group most people have never heard of possibly recommending the coin, you should absolutely sell.

Famous last words of so many people who invest in crypto, haha. "I'll get more XMR when it drops back to 70."

Edit: NAV up to 1.14. This is getting a little crazy. I usually hold, but I'd sell my entire stash at $2 and hope it goes down.
NAV is an OG coin. It goes back to 2013/2014 if I recall. I would absolutely sell if it hit $2. Shit, I would probably be selling right now depending on where you bought in. I remember that coin selling for less and a penny on BTCE and a few NAV whales would announce in the trollbox that they were about to pump and dump and sure it enough it always happened. Was funny seeing the chat go crazy over it.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
We have exactly 7 days to get alts on the cheap before the massive influx in bitcoin is pumped back into them after the fork. Get it on, boys.

winteriscomingbraceyourself.jpg

Cipherr

So glad I held my Nav. Made a nice profit off of selling it and didnt even have to wait until after the fork. I got my profit and Im out though. 40 cents a coin profit and I dont really want to bother with NAV anymore tbh.

I did get busy today though and my sell orders were way high so I missed great sell off points for ARK and STEEM today unfortunately.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
What to do during a fork with btc? Throw it offline on ledger s? How and what do you do with the forked btc-g/cash/x2? How do you avoid losing the original btc?

This is kinda confusing for me, even when reading about it earlier.

Rather get some info from our crew in here, by those with first hand experience.

Absinthe

So glad I held my Nav. Made a nice profit off of selling it and didnt even have to wait until after the fork. I got my profit and Im out though. 40 cents a coin profit and I dont really want to bother with NAV anymore tbh.

I did get busy today though and my sell orders were way high so I missed great sell off points for ARK and STEEM today unfortunately.

How do you manage selling into BTC and then having BTC drop? I've been doing well buying other coins or holding to make profits but I'm wondering what the best strategy is when converting to BTC if BTC is going down. Hold on Tether? Reinvest in another alt? What's your go to safe storage coin?

Cipherr

How do you manage selling into BTC and then having BTC drop? I've been doing well buying other coins or holding to make profits but I'm wondering what the best strategy is when converting to BTC if BTC is going down. Hold on Tether? Reinvest in another alt? What's your go to safe storage coin?

Oh I use the hell out of tether on Bittrex. I go straight from selling into BTC to converting to tether immediately. Have a few hundred there right now because it looks like it could fall over night. The feelings on tether are hugely split though, some not trusting it at all some willing to use it short term.

But yeah. Tether has been incredibly valuable to me. It also has pairs with BTC, ETH,NEO, XMR, ZEC, OMG and a few others. Some of which I trade also, so its easy to buy them straight from Tether on dips.

Absinthe

Oh I use the hell out of tether on Bittrex. I go straight from selling into BTC to converting to tether immediately. Have a few hundred there right now because it looks like it could fall over night. The feelings on tether are hugely split though, some not trusting it at all some willing to use it short term.

But yeah. Tether has been incredibly valuable to me. It also has pairs with BTC, ETH,NEO, XMR, ZEC, OMG and a few others. Some of which I trade also, so its easy to buy them straight from Tether on dips.

Sounds safe enough to use until a better alternative arrives. Thank you

Drifters

Talk to me Goose.... fees associated with doing that?

Cipherr

Talk to me Goose.... fees associated with doing that?

Yeah its the standard .25% on Bittrex, and using Tether adds like 2 more trades (.50%) when you are going from coins like ARK that dont have a tether pair. So far I have been able to still come out ahead by dodging BTC's dips which would have lost me sooo much more (for example BTC dropped to like 5100 this morning) and by swinging into re buying BTC when it dips here and there. But the fee is getting higher and higher of course the MORE money I stash in Tether. Im not sidelining 10k or anything like that yet... but if and when I reach that point, that .50% is going to get harder and harder to stomach unless Im VERY good at dodging all of BTCs dips.

Below 5k it seems to work pretty good. But you are right, this doesn't seem like it will scale well because of the fees. Going to have to eventually either stay in bitcoin during its ups and downs, or pick a long term hold coin (Im thinking NEO or ETH) and just dump all my profits into those instead.

oon

Banned
He does call the coin they are going recommend a small coin that reminds him of Antshares. I suppose it's possible.

e: I'm not sure if he is talking about a privacy coin in this video, these comments could refer to anything rather than a privacy coin

I feel like the only fan of it on this board haha but Metaverse (ETP) could be it - comparatively small market cap (114 million compared to NEO's 1.4 billion), created by an Antshares co-founder and does similar things, but with the addition of digital identity like Civic, listing on a new exchange any day now, rapidly growing team (already bigger than NEO's)....currently at $5.07/coin, still down from ATH of $6.

Drifters

Yeah its the standard .25% on Bittrex, and using Tether adds like 2 more trades (.50%) when you are going from coins like ARK that dont have a tether pair. So far I have been able to still come out ahead by dodging BTC's dips which would have lost me sooo much more (for example BTC dropped to like 5100 this morning) and by swinging into re buying BTC when it dips here and there. But the fee is getting higher and higher of course the MORE money I stash in Tether. Im not sidelining 10k or anything like that yet... but if and when I reach that point, that .50% is going to get harder and harder to stomach unless Im VERY good at dodging all of BTCs dips.

Below 5k it seems to work pretty good. But you are right, this doesn't seem like it will scale well because of the fees. Going to have to eventually either stay in bitcoin during its ups and downs, or pick a long term hold coin (Im thinking NEO or ETH) and just dump all my profits into those instead.

Yeah I hate the fees..... HATE! Like I've always said, it seems like the fees for transacting on various coins could stand to potentially be similar if not universal. Would make sense since the coins we're buying and/or investing in change rapidly or slowly depending on the person. I said on my work slack the other day, I kinda wish we had an IEEE for Blockchain.

Top Bottom