• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comet Crash 2: The Kronkoid Wars |OT| The Year of Crash

Spy

Developer
Pelfast [Facebook | Twitter]

Platform
PlayStation 4

Release
August 8th | Demo | $14.99

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QuQiZepAJE

Details
Comet Crash 2 is a real-time strategy game that will have you joining up with friends as you play through a challenging campaign of over 50 missions. If you get tired of cooperating you can jump into multiplayer battles for player-vs-player competition.

The most anticipated new feature has finally arrived: online multiplayer. Go online and invite friends to help navigate through the campaign or team up in an online battle. You can even bring more local players online for electrifying ‘couch-vs-couch' gameplay.

More adrenaline? Get competitive and build your rank in online 1V1, 2V2, and Free-For-All battles. As you gain XP for playing online, you will also unlock ship upgrades that may tip the scales in your favor.

Defend your territory with a variety of weapons. Use specialized units to fight off attacks and rush your enemies with massive armies. Destroy the Kronkoid bosses and collect Zoids to super-charge your weapons and units. Play the long game by researching upgrades like vengeful swarms and long-range missiles. The limitless variety of strategies will have you coming back to be challenged again and again.

Stay in the flow with original music by Bluetech.

PS4™ Pro Enhanced.

Media

Metacritic

Free updates after launch
New maps will be added with community involvement

Brill downloading the demo now. Did enjoy the first one.

Takes some getting used to again.

Btw what do the green and purple comets do?

bitbydeath

Yeah but what do they do? It looks like it throws out a purple orb but I couldn't seem to pick it up.

Not sure at this point. The game doesn't like to give too much away and I don't remember if they featured in the first.

Will be interested to hear how newcomers find it given it kind of just throws you in with the very basics.

You should be able to pick up the purple orb, which gives you a "Zoid" (appears beside your money when you bring up your build menu or hover over a building and push X). It seems to super charge a building for about 5 seconds.

I purchased the game when it went live around midnight, but I am really hoping this is some sort of old build that was put up too early. I looked around Battle mode, and found the following:

1) Can't pick maps from the Battle screen. Have to start a Battle game, quit it, close the leaderboard, and then select map.
2) Maps don't show size or resource count.
3) No option to place your base; they're all pre-set.
4) No option to modify the hit count.
5) They got rid of the side bar that shows everyone's HP, resources and unit count. Now your resources are shown on your build menu, unit count is just shown when you bring up your unit menu, and I can't even find HP. This seems to remove a bit of the tension and strategy from knowing how other players are doing.

There are also a bunch of other weird changes (buildings take about 2s to place; a yellow grid appears and then the buildings build up), and buildings seem to have a lot less upgrade options.

Some of these changes seem baffling. It seems like mostly the same game (I have only found one new unit), but with less configuration options and a worse UI. For instance, once you load into the Battle/local MP screen, there is no way to get back to the main menu without starting a MP game and quitting it.

Spy

You should be able to pick up the purple orb, which gives you a "Zoid" (appears beside your money when you bring up your build menu or hover over a building and push X). It seems to super charge a building for about 5 seconds.

I purchased the game when it went live around midnight, but I am really hoping this is some sort of old build that was put up too early. I looked around Battle mode, and found the following:

1) Can't pick maps from the Battle screen. Have to start a Battle game, quit it, close the leaderboard, and then select map.
2) Maps don't show size or resource count.
3) No option to place your base; they're all pre-set.
4) No option to modify the hit count.
5) They got rid of the side bar that shows everyone's HP, resources and unit count. Now your resources are shown on your build menu, unit count is just shown when you bring up your unit menu, and I can't even find HP. This seems to remove a bit of the tension and strategy from knowing how other players are doing.

There are also a bunch of other weird changes (buildings take about 2s to place; a yellow grid appears and then the buildings build up), and buildings seem to have a lot less upgrade options.

Some of these changes seem baffling. It seems like mostly the same game (I have only found one new unit), but with less configuration options and a worse UI. For instance, once you load into the Battle/local MP screen, there is no way to get back to the main menu without starting a MP game and quitting it.
I agree that there are perhaps a few little quirks here and there; I suggest you voice them to the developer through social media. They have been nothing short of amazing as far as responding to their fans and have even been known to make changes on the fly. If it was anyone else, I might be a little more vocal about some oddities but I have no doubt they'll address people's concerns.

P.S. Updated the OT with the purchase link, temporary PS Plus price, and demo URL.

I agree that there are perhaps a few little quirks here and there; I suggest you voice them to the developer through social media. They have been nothing short of amazing as far as responding to their fans and have even been known to make changes on the fly. If it was anyone else, I might be a little more vocal about some oddities but I have no doubt they'll address people's concerns..

I already did; they said they were intentional. I'm hoping they change their mind, as a lot of these functions don't seem to work. I'm just hoping more people voice concerns with these, as the core gameplay itself remains really fun, it is just that it can't be set up as with the previous game.

Spy

Not sure at this point. The game doesn't like to give too much away and I don't remember if they featured in the first.

Will be interested to hear how newcomers find it given it kind of just throws you in with the very basics.
The campaign has a very clear progression system that teaches you how to use mostly everything over the course of the 50-ish or so levels. I'm not sure about the demo though.

I already did; they said they were intentional. I'm hoping they change their mind, as a lot of these functions don't seem to work. I'm just hoping more people voice concerns with these, as the core gameplay itself remains really fun, it is just that it can't be set up as with the previous game.
I voiced very similar concerns to you and I'm staying optimistic they'll be addressed. Not being able to place your base does make sense for ranked matches (base "griefing" could occur otherwise) but it definitely should be an option to place at your discretion in custom (local) and private (online) games.

This is the only thing you mentioned that I disagree with (for the most part). I actually think it builds tension not being able to directly see what is in your opponents hand so to say.

We definitely need to be able to see how much health our base has though.

Right now I'm putting together a wishlist of sorts from what I have read others request whether it be in reviews, on social media, or NeoGAF.

Wishlist said:
Campaign
-Difficulty should be a choice you make from the initial Campaign menu rather than an afterthought from browsing the Settings
-Star performance should reset to null if you haven't completed a mission on the selected difficulty
-Separate leaderboard for each difficulty option
-Alternatively, view the leaderboard from an individual Comet for the specified mission instead than having to go back to the Main Menu and select Online Scores
-Restart a campaign mission without having to end the game and reselect it from the galactic map Resolved as of version 1.01
-By default, the player should be zoomed out during a mission as it's not practical to begin a match in that aspect Resolved as of version 1.01
-The aura of some Comets on the galactic map make it confusing to see how you performed on a mission because it can overlap with the number of stars you received (e.g. Olorune - Comet 1)

Battle
-Adjust base health (currently 35) from 1-200
-Designate where your base is located; default placement should remain as a choice
-Select Map shown from the beginning with "Random" chosen as the default option; you can't choose a map at all in custom Online Play

Gameplay
-Reveal exactly how much health your base has in the Build Menu
-While attacking, the number of remaining units should be displayed until the user is done releasing them Resolved as of version 1.01

QOL
-Signify to the end-user that pressing R1/R2 cycles your player color
-Indicator on how to quit to the Main Menu from Battle and Online Play without having to close and restart the game Resolved as of version 1.01

bitbydeath

The campaign has a very clear progression system that teaches you how to use everything over the course of the 50-ish or so levels. I'm not sure about the demo though.

I was playing through the full game last night (only to level 5) and the training mission didn't even mention how to deploy your own convoys, I knew it could be done because I had played the first but had to go into options to find what the button was.

Spy

I was playing through the full game last night (only to level 5) and the training mission didn't even mention how to deploy your own convoys, I knew it could be done because I had played the first but had to go into options to find what the button was.
Just replayed the Training mission and I suppose you're right. Hopefully new players take notice of the little blurbs (by pressing triangle) before each mission.

This is the only thing you mentioned that I disagree with (for the most part). I actually think it builds tension not being able to directly see at all times what is in your opponents hand so to say. You have to keep an eye for them to open their menu to catch a glimpse of what they're stockpiling. Though, in these same menus, we definitely need to be able to see how much health our own base has.

That's a good point. I would perhaps like to see it as an option that can be toggled on or off.

Also, does anyone know what adjusting strength in Battle does? Does it lower your ship's HP or tower firepower? Doesn't appear to adjust your HP numbers.

Also, got to say, I am enjoying the addition of Zoids. I didn't really think much of them at first, but being able to super charge towers during a critical moment can really turn the tide.

Spy

That's a good point. I would perhaps like to see it as an option that can be toggled on or off.

Also, does anyone know what adjusting strength in Battle does? Does it lower your ship's HP or tower firepower? Doesn't appear to adjust your HP numbers.

Also, got to say, I am enjoying the addition of Zoids. I didn't really think much of them at first, but being able to super charge towers during a critical moment can really turn the tide.
Options are good. I was also trying to figure out what Strength does, let me know if you're able to figure it out.

Strength is still a mystery to me, but it turns out the health indicator is the base. It doesn't give exact numbers, but the amount of tiles on the base hub indicate health.

A bit disappointed there also don't seem to be any three player maps. It just uses four player maps with an empty zone for the fourth player, which just typically tends to make it a battle for that zone right away, as whoever owns that has a huge advantage.

Spy

Strength is still a mystery to me, but it turns out the health indicator is the base. It doesn't give exact numbers, but the amount of titles on the base hub indicate health.

A bit disappointed there also don't seem to be any three player maps. It just uses four player maps with an empty zone for the fourth player, which just typically tends to make it a battle for that zone right away, as whoever owns that has a huge advantage.
Visually seeing the base deteriorate is a nice little touch but I'd also like to know exactly how much health my base has, lol.

I believe the three player maps will come sooner rather than later since they mentioned new free maps will be added with community involvement.

bitbydeath

It's a shame this title went under the radar, I'm only at the second world as I don't get much time to play but is a great game.

Spy

An update is out that provides lots of little tweaks here and there as well as 13 new Battle maps. From the wishlist above, some items were addressed.

-Restart a campaign mission without having to end the game and reselect it from the galactic map Resolved as of version 1.01
-By default, the player should be zoomed out during a mission as it's not practical to begin a match in that aspect Resolved as of version 1.01
-While attacking, the number of remaining units should be displayed until the user is done releasing them Resolved as of version 1.01
-Indicator on how to quit to the Main Menu from Battle and Online Play without having to close and restart the game Resolved as of version 1.01

I'm really hoping everything from the Battle and Gameplay section gets addressed.

The people I played the first game with have no desire to play the sequel if you can't choose where you're base is located and adjust how much health your base has to a much higher value.

Top Bottom