• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - GAF Island: Under Volcanic Formation

Hey guys! I spoke with Bobby from Obsidian on the phone over the weekend!! So here's a few things I need:

1. How do you pronounce "Erol of Levi"? There may be some dialogue/voiceover.

2. Where do you want Bishop (or a new supporting character) to stand in the game world? Think of how POE1 game world worked and find a location where you can start a quest. Give a simple description.

3. Name the Island.

Here's the summary of discussion: They want to keep the story secret so we can enjoy the surprise. Basic outline in spoiler (for those that want total blackout:
It'll mostly revolve around Bishop/New NPC in search of Erol of Levi. The game is also going to feature portraits from the previous titles so be all meta and play as Evilore finding Erol of Levi. The island is going to have one of the toughest dungeons in the game. The Island is a homage to GAF logo; let's see how they recreate it! How about Goose and Fox? No, it's not coming back, it'll stay in it's original place of glory.

Other than that, he has played the console version of the first Pillars of Eternity and is quite surprised how the controls have transitioned for a game with various spells. I cited Diablo III to be my favorite controller transition from PC to Consoles.

Other than that, he is quite excited to show us what they're working on.

Keep on providing feedback and I'll convey them the message!

1. How do you pronounce "Erol of Levi"? There may be some dialogue/voiceover.

220px-errol_flynn190sug.jpg

of Leave Eye

Anno

Hmm is it Levi like the jeans or Lev-Eee. Also I'm super down for the portrait to just be Errol Flynn, even if I figure it should be EvilLores in game picture.

Where do you want Bishop to stand in the game world? Think of how POE1 game world worked and find a location where you can start a quest. Give a simple description.

I have two ideas for this:

(1) We find him in a Neketaka jail cell. The last crew he tried to hire on spent the up-front cash on booze, and Bishop got a little rough with them.

(2) We find him standing on an isolated island, having been marooned by the previous adventuring company that offered to "help" him. [note: the trouble with this idea is that a *really* isolated island might not be found before the player has already stumbled across GAF island; but I suppose it could just be a backwater Huana village rather than a desert island]

Name the Island. Want to keep it consistent with Goose and Fox? Find a three letter name with that spells "G.A.F."

Because we have the logo homage, I am less concerned about the island's name following the GAF pattern. Maybe an indirect homage like "The Isle of Faith?"

Because we have the logo homage, I am less concerned about the island's name following the GAF pattern. Maybe an indirect homage like "The Isle of Faith?"

Still voting for The Sunset Plains but that probably requires too much of an explanatory stretch since it's an island.

No homage at all might be fine.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Knowing the general layout and makeup of the island would help with naming it, since it doesn't need to be a direct reference.

Also partial to Lev-ee rather than Leev-eye, but it doesn't matter.

I'm sure others here are more conversant in GAF history than I am. Anything suggest itself for an island name? "Crow's Exile?" (Do people still talk about DrinkyCrow? As my posts have probably revealed at this point, he is just about the only infamous poster I can remember. I guess there's CBOAT, but good luck making an island name out of that.)

For people who want something that meshes with Pillars 2 lore, we could always pick a word and ask them to translate it into Huana.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I've always pronounced it as Air-ul of Lev-e, but that's just me.

I've already gone the opposite. Err-ol of Lee-vy.

I don't really care either way though.

As well if we need to name the island soon I would prefer it not be derived from the GAF acronym unless it's really really good. I think trying to force a name from that will be too restrictive and result in something to artificial.

Hey everyone, the time has come. We need a name for the island by August 25th!

Come up with something fun and creative, or boring. I don't care. If we don't come up with one (or if it doesn't fit the game), Obsidian will come up with one.

Deadline: FRIDAY, August 25th.

The Wart

Hey everyone, the time has come. We need a name for the island by August 25th!

Come up with something fun and creative, or boring. I don't care. If we don't come up with one (or if it doesn't fit the game), Obsidian will come up with one.

Deadline: FRIDAY, August 25th.

If there's going to be a really tough dungeon we could call it Isle of Tested Faith. Or maybe Gulf of Attested Faith, like you go there to attest to your faithfullness by braving the dungeon. Though I guess it wouldn't make much sense to call an island a gulf -- unless maybe the gulf could refer to the dungeon itself?

Island of Knocked-Over Magazine Racks is the obvious choice.

get this, the island of gaff

Lol I like this.

Generic Names:

The Great Atoll Formation
The Garden of Austral Festivals (or flowers)
Crater of Garlic and Fish
Stretch-marks of the sea

Or in the native language of the races of the region. So it is not "The great atoll formation" but the made up word that translates as so according to Obsidian.

Nzyme32

get this, the island of gaff

Naah, it needs to fit in the game and that sound uninspired.

Edit - Okay my shot in the dark at this one:

the Grand Alluvial Phalanx

Assuming GA(PH) island can be shaped as a bone like eerie finger protrusion in the sea, I could see it working. Alluvial deposits could be the foundation of the island and characterise it's looks or something. That's about as fitting as I can come up with right now

Labadal

Believers' End

Adventurers, pirates and treasure hunters believe that there's a great treasure there, but none have ever survived on the island.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Believers' End

Adventurers, pirates and treasure hunters believe that there's a great treasure there, but none have ever survived on the island.

This is a good suggestion. Something along these lines is what I would want instead of trying to make something conform to the GAF acronym.

Believers' Folly also has a nice ring to it.

Giolon

Believers' End

This is a good suggestion. Something along these lines is what I would want instead of trying to make something conform to the GAF acronym.

Believers' Folly also has a nice ring to it.

I like these two too.

m_dorian

A reforge-the-item quest with pieces of the legendary Hammer of Bann scattered through out the island could be fun.

Kinan

Ok, Believer's Folly is good, but for the sake of brainstorming, maybe the name should be appealing and not scaring adventurers away? Like Believers GIFt or Believers Luck?

Or, completely different idea, what if the island is named Levi and is the birth place of Erol? Smth evil (lol) happened and he was searching for the cure all the time?

Top Bottom