• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS data-mined: 20 fighter codenames found! Also, Nintendo says an update is soon.

Root Canal will be her name.

Hm. This actually gives me the idea of a dentist with toothpaste ARMS...

Introducing Dr. Ruth Canal, the Demented Dentist!

Signature ARMS:

Cavitator: A large dental drill designed to disrupt blocks. When a charged Cavitator hits a blocking foe, it sticks in place and drills for a while, dealing extra damage to their shield!

Chuckler: At first glance, this gaudy pink Glove looks like nothing special. However, when it's charged, it gains the all new Slow element. The pink gas it releases on contact greatly slows the opponent's punches and jumps, leaving them open to punishment!

Bristle: A massive toothbrush head, the Bristle is another unique ARM. When thrown, it drops to the floor and begins scrubbing its way to the opponent. If charged up, it leaves behind a damaging trail of suds, but doesn't travel as far.

Abilities:

Anesthetic: Dr. Canal can administer laughing gas to herself by holding a charge for an extended period. While in effect, she takes no damage from attacks. However, when it wears off (when Canal is knocked down), she immediately takes all the damage she ignored.

Good Hygiene: Dr. Canal prides herself on her self-cleaning lab coat. With it, she can shrug off status effects faster than most fighters.

Do you think so? I thought we would have to wait until monday at least...

I believe so, yes. The Max Brass update had teasers posted every day or so, even on weekends. Now, the Sweet update has been teased every two days as well. We are due for another tonight around 10 PM CST (Noon JST).

The last time I predicted a tease (10 PM CST, Aug 17), the Neo-Guardian teaser was uploaded within minutes of my predicted time. If Biff sticks to the apparent schedule, we'll likely see a teaser of Sweet's third and final ARM tonight. If this is true, I anticipate her full trailer Monday at the same time.

Edited because, after further research, the Brass update was teased on a less regular basis, with some posts being daily and others semi daily.

I believe so, yes. The Max Brass update had teasers posted every two days, even on weekends. Now, the Sweet update has been teased every two days as well. We are due for another tonight around 10 PM CST (Noon JST).

The last time I predicted a tease (10 PM CST, Aug 17), the Neo-Guardian teaser was uploaded within minutes of my predicted time. If Biff sticks to the apparent schedule, we'll likely see a teaser of Sweet's third and final ARM tonight. If this is true, I anticipate her full trailer Monday at the same time.

makes sense. We'll see :)

makes sense. We'll see :)

August 19: Teaser for the third ARM
August 21: Sweet's trailer & ability explanation
August 23: Color scheme teaser
August 25: Full stage reveal
August 27: Launch

Interestingly, a major ARMS Tourney is scheduled to end on the 26th. Perhaps that lends credence to this speculative launch date?

If you're interested, here is the full speculative schedule that I believe the teases will follow.

Watch, they'll pull a fast one and post a trailer for the bush fighter instead

I'd be okay with that. Of all the code names we're aware of, Plant is probably the most intriguing to me (other than Surprise, that is) purely based on how weird its design will likely be.

That being said, my theory is that this hypothetical tease will be Sweet's third and final Signature ARM. If that is the case, her Trailer shouldn't be too far behind. I expect it to fall on August 21 (Aug 22 JST). If not then, then another weekday soon. I severely doubt that a full trailer would be posted on a weekend.

If Sweet's third ARM is indeed revealed tonight, I wonder what it could be? If, as we speculated before, she is indeed a defense-oriented fighter, perhaps it could be another Mega-class ARM? Perhaps Wind element could be beneficial on such a large arm. Megagust?

I apologize for bumping with no update, but I feel I must apologize for my incorrect insistence on a tease tonight. It seems that we shall have to wait another day or two to learn more about Sweet.

Surprise will be a Jack in the box type fighter. I feel it. I hope it's as creepy as the Krampus jack in the box.

I had assumed that Surprise would be a clown, but it seems that Sweet is our clown. A Jack-in-the-Box would be interesting, if only because I've never seen one done in a fighting game.

If we do get one, I agree: creepy fighters are wonderful.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
You've done a good job at getting me hyped for an ARMS fighter (this almost feels like a Smash reveal), hoping we get something more in a hour or so...

I had assumed that Surprise would be a clown, but it seems that Sweet is our clown. A Jack-in-the-Box would be interesting, if only because I've never seen one done in a fighting game.

If we do get one, I agree: creepy fighters are wonderful.
If we get a Jack-in-the-Box, I'd want the "Jack" to be either Biff or an actual weasel.

You've done a good job at getting me hyped for an ARMS fighter (this almost feels like a Smash reveal), hoping we get something more in a hour or so...

Thank you! I'm quite excited myself!

If we get a Jack-in-the-Box, I'd want the "Jack" to be either Biff or an actual weasel.

Biff piloting a Jack in the Box mech would be... interesting! Reminds me of a fighter concept I thought of earlier today...

Watch Da Birdie

If it's a weasel maybe give it scythe-based arms?

Gonna try and get back into ARMS tonight for sure and practice with Kid Cobra, totally forgot how to play since it's been a few weeks but maybe I can finally get the hang of his charge + dash maneuver.

Watch Da Birdie

I think it'd be cool if "Sumo" is like partially Yakuza-themed with tatoos, but like on his arms are wave of kanagawa tattoos so the effect of his arms undulating look like, well, waves. Maybe some sort of weird hypnotizing effect?

I think it'd be cool if "Sumo" is like partially Yakuza-themed with tatoos, but like on his arms are wave of kanagawa tattoos so the effect of his arms undulating look like, well, waves. Maybe some sort of weird hypnotizing effect?

That would be interesting! Personally, I believe Sumo's ARMS will be just that: his/her arms. I picture them animating like Dhalsim, just stretching unnaturally with no discernible rhyme or reason.

Neiteio

"Sweets" confirmed — Lola Pop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmxLXpFmByI

Seems her nunchuks deflect attacks, her guardians reflect attacks back at the enemy (elemental effect included), and her stamps cause Blind!

Also seems she can inflate to block mid-air, pop off the ground, and even move while blocking.

Coming in the next update, ARMS 3.0, this September.

DH0bUUzUIAEEhtO.jpg:large

GIFs courtesy of Donkey Show:

H6N9HyH.gif

S2ln1WV.gif

cqsjrkn.gif

tm2eYNi.gif

Qnq3xR3.gif

uGU4BSr.gif

hTsIMVQ.gif

BEST SMILE

e0344e5feb.jpg

tsab

A clown made out of Lollipops and candy, with a pair nunchakus and fidget spinners as weapons.

<3 Nintendo.

"Sweets" confirmed — Lola Pop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmxLXpFmByI

Seems her nunchuks deflect attacks, her guardians reflect attacks back at the enemy (elemental effect included), and her stamps cause Blind!

Also seems she can inflate to block mid-air, pop off the ground, and even move while blocking.

Coming in the next update, ARMS 3.0, this September.

DH0bUUzUIAEEhtO.jpg:large

GIFs courtesy of Donkey Show:

H6N9HyH.gif

S2ln1WV.gif

cqsjrkn.gif

tm2eYNi.gif

Qnq3xR3.gif

uGU4BSr.gif

hTsIMVQ.gif

BEST SMILE

e0344e5feb.jpg

Wow, of course she gets revealed after I'd given up on teases!

It looks like most of our speculation was entirely correct! Here's my analysis:

As expected, she is indeed a clown. This includes the clown pants and jester hat we had spotted, though I was incorrect in thinking her hat was a hybrid jester/chef hat.

It seems that her Nunchucks don't quite behave as I'd thought, but they have a similar concept. The Neo-Guardian behaves precisely as we'd thought. The Blindra is interesting; it's nice to see a new Blind ARM!

Her abilities are a bit different than we'd thought. It seems they rely on her blocking. It seems she can block in midair and slide across the ground while blocking! It also seems that her air block allows her to bounce off the ground, charging her ARMS. As we theorized, it seems that Lola is indeed a more agile tank type character, with an emphasis on blocking and deflecting.

The only thing we really got wrong was thinking she would be bubblegum themed. Instead, her ARMS are made of a personal favorite of mine: ribbon candy!

Finally, we see some more details on Lola's stage. It seems to be larger than any other we've seen, with a cafe right in the middle. This should be an interesting venue!

I also can't believe how close I was to predicting her name!

All in all, she looks great! I can't wait for 3.0!

Wow, of course she gets revealed after I'd given up on teases!

It looks like most of our speculation was entirely correct! Here's my analysis:

As expected, she is indeed a clown. This includes the clown pants and jester hat we had spotted, though I was incorrect in thinking her hat was a hybrid jester/chef hat.

It seems that her Nunchucks don't quite behave as I'd thought, but they have a similar concept. The Neo-Guardian behaves precisely as we'd thought. The Blindra is interesting; it's nice to see a new Blind ARM!

Her abilities are a bit different than we'd thought. It seems they rely on her blocking. It seems she can block in midair and slide across the ground while blocking! It also seems that her air block allows her to bounce off the ground, charging her ARMS. As we theorized, it seems that Lola is indeed a more agile tank type character, with an emphasis on blocking and deflecting.

The only thing we really got wrong was thinking she would be bubblegum themed. Instead, her ARMS are made of a personal favorite of mine: ribbon candy!

Finally, we see some more details on Lola's stage. It seems to be larger than any other we've seen, with a cafe right in the middle. This should be an interesting venue!

I also can't believe how close I was to predicting her name!

All in all, she looks great! I can't wait for 3.0!
When I saw this last night, I was bummed you missed it!

Watch Da Birdie

So people pointed out Max Brass was fighting Springman, and now Lola is fighting Ribbon Girl---we have eight DLC characters left potentially, I wonder if each one is gonna be "paired" up with the other eight starting cast members?

Scroll and Ninjara? You know, maybe his arms are ninja scrolls and he can summon shit like frogs. That'd be cool.

Sumo...and Master Mummy? Not that the two themes are related, but it seems Lola and Ribbon Girl are sort of similar looking, so I imagine pairing the likely large Sumo against Master Mummy works.

Chain and Helix? Most of us take it to be a physical chain, but maybe it's a DNA chain? Perhaps some sort of "advanced" version of Helix, like really cool looking like Deoxys instead of silly like Helix.

Robo could be either Mechanica or Byte and Barq---I picture some old-school anime kid controlling a robot from the side of the stage like Gigantor.

I'd like to see Plant go up against Kid Cobra, just because I can see it being some weird mutant plant-person with similar stretching powers.

Maybe Twintale is like Twintelle's sister?

Not sure who'd I put up against Min Min from the list.

Though I'd like to point out the original Reddit post claims some names were altered from the launch version, and 16 characters are more likely---so four more to go?

So people pointed out Max Brass was fighting Springman, and now Lola is fighting Ribbon Girl---we have eight DLC characters left potentially, I wonder if each one is gonna be "paired" up with the other eight starting cast members?

Scroll and Ninjara? You know, maybe his arms are ninja scrolls and he can summon shit like frogs. That'd be cool.

Sumo...and Master Mummy? Not that the two themes are related, but it seems Lola and Ribbon Girl are sort of similar looking, so I imagine pairing the likely large Sumo against Master Mummy works.

Chain and Helix? Most of us take it to be a physical chain, but maybe it's a DNA chain? Perhaps some sort of "advanced" version of Helix, like really cool looking like Deoxys instead of silly like Helix.

Robo could be either Mechanica or Byte and Barq---I picture some old-school anime kid controlling a robot from the side of the stage like Gigantor.

I'd like to see Plant go up against Kid Cobra, just because I can see it being some weird mutant plant-person with similar stretching powers.

Maybe Twintale is like Twintelle's sister?

Not sure who'd I put up against Min Min from the list.

Though I'd like to point out the original Reddit post claims some names were altered from the launch version, and 16 characters are more likely---so four more to go?

This would be interesting, and this pattern is partially why I believe we'll see 10 DLC characters rather than only 6. I'm aware of the alterations made so far, but I suppose we'll ultimately find out when all is said and done.

I can totally see Twintelle's sister and the more serious Helix clone. Perhaps Helix is the first born from the lab and the scientists took one look at him and said 'guess we'll try again.'

Really wish the lore is explored more now in the games instead of being Twitter posts.

Here's my take on the "Rivals" theory:

Spring Man vs. Max Brass
Ribbon Girl vs. Lola Pop

Ninjara vs. Chain (I believe Chain is Ninjara's sensei)

Master Mummy vs. Sumo (Big guys, big rivalry)

Helix vs. Coil (I still believe that Dr. C is Coil)

Byte & Barq vs. Robo (Seems obvious)

Mechanica vs. Surprise (If Surprise is a Jack-in-the-Box mech, as we've guessed)

Min Min vs. Scroll (Perhaps Scroll is another "old master" type?)

Twintelle vs. Twintale (Obviously)

Kid Cobra vs. Plant (...they're the last two)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If there will be 9 characters every 2 months we are in for 1 year and a half of free dlc updates

Not bad and in line with the 2 years support plans announced for Splatoon

If there will be 9 characters every 2 months we are in for 1 year and a half of free dlc updates

Not bad and in line with the 2 years support plans announced for Splatoon
I believe Splatoon and ARMS were both announced to have 2 years of online support and one year of free DLC. The game has been out 2 months and we've received 2 free DLC characters.

I believe Splatoon and ARMS were both announced to have 2 years of online support and one year of free DLC. The game has been out 2 months and we've received 2 free DLC characters.

While Splatoon has been confirmed to update for a year and have two years of Splatfest, ARMS was never given a support window. Also, Lola Pop is releasing next month, making it 3 months most likely.

Also, according to the main Lola Announcement Thread, GameXplain has some gameplay of her on their channel. It confirmed the names of her ARMS:

Nunchucks - Funchucks
Neo-Guardian - Clapback
Blind Hydra - Biffer/Biffler (unclear)

Neiteio

Here's my take on the "Rivals" theory:

Spring Man vs. Max Brass
Ribbon Girl vs. Lola Pop

Ninjara vs. Chain (I believe Chain is Ninjara's sensei)

Master Mummy vs. Sumo (Big guys, big rivalry)

Helix vs. Coil (I still believe that Dr. C is Coil)

Byte & Barq vs. Robo (Seems obvious)

Mechanica vs. Surprise (If Surprise is a Jack-in-the-Box mech, as we've guessed)

Min Min vs. Scroll (Perhaps Scroll is another "old master" type?)

Twintelle vs. Twintale (Obviously)

Kid Cobra vs. Plant (...they're the last two)
Robo could be Mechanica's dad in a robo suit of his own. Wasn't the dad mentioned in the ARMS journal? Otherwise, what you wrote is what I'm expecting, unless 1) they're just alternating between Spring Man and Ribbon Girl as the "other" character on the title screen, and/or 2) some of the codenames are redundant (I still think each one could be a unique fighter, though).

Neiteio

On a side note, I'm starting to notice many of the characters have an "old-timey" feeling to them, which gives the game's universe a sort of vintage or nostalgic flavor.

Max Brass looks like a classic superhero from the Golden Age of Comics; Spring Man and Ribbon Girl feel like classic Tex Avery cartoons/pinups; Master Mummy is like an old Universal movie monster, while Helix is something out of a 1950s sci-if flick; Ninjara and Mechanica both feel like old Tatsunoko characters; Min Min is vintage Bruce Lee; Twintelle recalls the drive-in movie era of Marilyn Monroe; Lola Pop feels like a bygone relic of Parisian past; and Byte & Barq look like they're time capsules from Beatles-era Britain.

That's off the top of my head. Yet more reason to think that "Plant" might resemble an alien monster out of an old Ed Wood horror movie.

On a side note, I'm starting to notice many of the characters have an "old-timey" feeling to them, which gives the game's universe a sort of vintage or nostalgic flavor.

Max Brass looks like a classic superhero from the Golden Age of Comics; Spring Man and Ribbon Girl feel like classic Tex Avery cartoons/pinups; Master Mummy is like an old Universal movie monster, while Helix is something out of a 1950s sci-if flick; Ninjara and Mechanica both feel like old Tatsunoko characters; Min Min is vintage Bruce Lee; Twintelle recalls the drive-in movie era of Marilyn Monroe; Lola Pop feels like a bygone relic of Parisian past; and Byte & Barq look like they're time capsules ftom Beatles-era Britain.

That's off the top of my head. Yet more reason to think that "Plant" might resemble an alien monster out of an old Ed Wood horror movie.

I've noticed these "art deco" vibes as well! It's an interesting way to make the characters feel "timeless" in a subconscious way. I'm inclined to agree that Plant will probably have some serious B-Movie vibes; I'd love for it to have a proper black-and-white color palette as an alt!

Interestingly, all of my theories so far fit this motif, more or less:

Chain: Wise Kung-Fu master trope
Coil: Quintessential mad scientist
Scroll: Another old master?
Robo: Can never have too many robots
Sumo: "Exotic warrior from the Mystic East"
Plant: Common B-Movie villain
Surprise: Popular tin toy?
Twintale: "Evil twin" as a villain trope

Neiteio

I've noticed these "art deco" vibes as well! It's an interesting way to make the characters feel "timeless" in a subconscious way. I'm inclined to agree that Plant will probably have some serious B-Movie vibes; I'd love for it to have a proper black-and-white color palette as an alt!

Interestingly, all of my theories so far fit this motif, more or less:

Chain: Wise Kung-Fu master trope
Coil: Quintessential mad scientist
Scroll: Another old master?
Robo: Can never have too many robots
Sumo: "Exotic warrior from the Mystic East"
Plant: Common B-Movie villain
Surprise: Popular tin toy?
Twintale: "Evil twin" as a villain trope
Yeah, as you've been saying, "Coil" is almost assuredly Dr. C, a mad scientist with tesla coil arms and the Hedlok prototype chest unit described in the journal. I expect such a character will take design cues from Dr. Frankenstein in the classic Universal movie. And like you said earlier, he'd pair nicely with Helix in a title screen matchup. Maybe even incorporate RNA Men as AI minions, Barq-style?

Like you, I also suspect that "Chain," if a unique character, is the sensei to Ninjara -- his professor at Ninja College.

Yeah, as you've been saying, "Coil" is almost assuredly Dr. C, a mad scientist with tesla coil arms and the Hedlok prototype chest unit described in the journal. I expect such a character will take design cues from Dr. Frankenstein in the classic Universal movie. And like you said earlier, he'd pair nicely with Helix in a title screen matchup. Maybe even incorporate RNA Men as AI minions, Barq-style?

Like you, I also suspect that "Chain," if a unique character, is the sensei to Ninjara -- his professor at Ninja College.

I would honestly be shocked if Dr. C doesn't make an appearance, given his importance in the lore. I'd also be shocked if Nin's Sensei didn't show up, given Biff calling attention to his existence. This also leads me to believe, as you said earlier, that Mechanica's dad will be affiliated with one of these characters; probably Robo, as you said.

Perhaps you saw my Ruth Canal post earlier? I think I'll make similar writeups for hypothetical characters that match the codenames (for example: Dr. C, Sensei, etc.)

Giolon

That's....not what I expected at all. Not digging the clown vibe, but everything else about her candy-ness is great. Nintendo character designers are working overtime.

mas8705

Just read through the thread up to this point and have to say that I never considered the "Rivals Theory" until just now.

I mean, I figured that with Max Brass using the same ability like Spring man in terms of the "get powered up if about to fall" and the "protective barrier" was one thing, but after looking at Lola Pop (and how much like Spring man fighting Max Brass in the title screen, we have Ribbon girl fighting Lola Pop), she also seems to have the same kind "aerial advantage" as Ribbon Girl does. While she can stay in the air longer than most fighters, Lola Pop is able to inflate herself to block attacks while jumping. If we take that into consideration, it could be fair to say that the remaining eight could be seen as either sharing similarities with their counterparts, are almost seen as a challenge against them with what they can do.

As for what was suggested, I can see the following happening:
Ninjara vs. Chain
Master Mummy vs. Sumo
Min Min vs. Scroll
Twintelle vs. Twintale

As for the rest, I question it just a touch for the following reasons:

-Since Byte does have Coil arms, it could be the same case as Ninjara and Chain where the type of ARMS could be similar.

-Robo could be a hint at Mechanica's aforementioned father and how he could get in on the fight after seeing what his daughter had done to get into the league (but instead of making a suit, he could have made a robot to challenge her.

- As for Surprise and Plant, I'm with you on that same point of how it is difficult to say where they would be placed. I'd like to think that Helix could work for both perhaps, but Kid Cobra feels like he stands alone in that regard.

Still, it will be fascinating to think of what we might see for future characters and ARMS. If anything, the order that we saw characters announced could also be our hint as to who is next (to which if that were the case, that would mean that Chain could be the next character if he is paired with Ninjara).

Top Bottom