• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forget the console wars, all 3 consoles are unique

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam12

Posted in MS thread

all 3 consoles are doing their own thing now, with all 3 finding ways to make money, so why compare when all offer something different, especially going forward

If you want GAAS games sprinkled with the three tentpole franchises of Halo/Gears/Forza, few AA like Recore, Gamepass, BC, good hardware for western 3rd parties then go for Xbox or PC if you can spend more

If you want Nintendo 1st party with portable then go for Switch

If you want single player driven games along with the best 3rd party support from West or Japan then get PS

FluxWaveZ

I mean... they've always been unique. That's why console wars are a thing at all.

Edit: I guess the point of the hardware being the same is coming up, but I always see it from the perspective of software offerings.

zeemumu

X6W_-BDAdv2GcYV2d91zkY72bBU=.gif

MAX PAYMENT

There doesn't seem to be a place on the internet where meaningful gaming conversation can be had without console wars getting involved.

Xbox and PS4 are literally just PC's with less functionality, but OK.

Not saying it's a bad thing, but calling them "Unique" is not something I would personally do.

AEdouard

Posted in MS thread

all 3 consoles are doing their own thing now, with all 3 finding ways to make money, so why compare when all offer something different, especially going forward

If you want GAAS games sprinkled with the three tentpole franchises of Halo/Gears/Forza, few AA like Recore, good hardware for western 3rd parties then go for Xbox or PC if you can spend more

If you want Nintendo 1st party with portable then go for Switch

If you want single player driven games along with the best 3rd party support from West or Japan then get PS

Nope. The PS4 and Xbox One are doing the exact same thing. The Switch, sure, but we've never actually seen consoles being so much alike as the ps4 and One.

They have the same architecture, they're basically just PCs with AMD parts. It's just that one is slightly more powerful than the other. Last generation the PS3 was a very weird animal.

Renna Hazel

People are still allowed to be disappointed in a console though. Sometimes when people express that disappointment, others scream console wars.

Wamb0wneD

Not to be that guy but I could tell this was a MS related topic since quite the number of Xbox owners act like exclusives don't matter now that the "wait till E3" and "look at what Phil said" narratives don't mean much anymore. Nintendo and Sony got a variety of critically acclaimed exclusives in the last 2 years, MS didn't have any in a while and that's ok, no need to relativize.

wrowa

What makes Xbox a better place for GAAS and PS4 a better place for single player games? I don't quite see the reasoning there.

Or is this just "all consoles are unique because all consoles have 1st party exclusives", because, well, duh.

Ploid 3.0

I'm super happy all I need is PS4 and PC. I can't even bring myself to play all of the games I own.

The only time I took advantage of Xbox games on PC was when I tried Killer Instinct. That game takes up way too much space, I didn't like it though.

sam12

Nope. The PS4 and Xbox One are doing the exact same thing. The Switch, sure, but we've never actually seen consoles being so much alike as the ps4 and One.

I think the vision for Microsoft and Sony is different moving forward. MS is not focusing on single player driven games, while Sony still develops those games.

LQX

I think we are now at the acceptance stage.

Personally I think only 2 of the 3 are unique.

JlNX

Sam not going to lie you were the last person I would have thought would make a thread with a title like that.

sam12

What makes Xbox a better place for GAAS and PS4 a better place for single player games? I don't quite see the reasoning there.

Or is this just "all consoles are unique because all consoles have 1st party exclusives", because, well, duh.

Not saying it's better for GAAS but the focus for MS is on those games, especially with their 2018 lineup, not for Sony.

Not to be that guy but I could tell this was a MS related topic because quite the number of Xbox owners want to act like exclusives don't matter now that the "wait till E3" and "look at what Phil said" narratives don't mean much anymore. Nintendo and Sony got a variety of critically acclaimed exclusives in the last 2 years, MS didn't have any in a while and that's ok, no need to relativize.

And here we go, on page 1.

Seriously?

All 3 consoles are unique.
Only 2 of them actually offer a compelling reason to exist.

So I don't make this just a driveby shitpost, at this point consoles are only really about exclusives to me, as the PC market got its act together after some bad times early in the last gen. Xbox cut out the middle man and is putting all its games on PC anyway, so it effectively has 0 exclusives for me this generation.

They are both "core boxes" for multiplats but the differences in gaming services is starting to become a bit notable.

Yeah, the philosophies of both Microsoft and Sony have drifted apart from each other quite a bit at this point.

Microsoft is incredibly focused on games as a service and putting out games that have longer and longer lifespans compared to years passed. As far as I'm aware that's not something Sony is really doing or focusing on and they seem content with putting out the more traditional single player, narrative driven experiences.

Wamb0wneD

And here we go, on page 1.

Seriously?

Seriously what? PS4 and Switch are just more enticing platforms software wise for the majority of people.
At the start of the gen exclusives mattered for Phil, because they had some. Now they have droughts and suddenly crossplay and BC are more important to them. That's ok , but to act like exclusives don't matter is a bit dishonest imo. And I wonder how long it will take until they realize that chasing GAAS almost exclusively will not work because people can only play so many titles continuously, not even to mention all the GAAS stuff that's not even on consoles like LoL or Dota.

I wish them all the success there is, more competition is always good, but they really aren't at their best right now.

Raven117

Gold Member
Yeah, the philosophies of both Microsoft and Sony have drifted apart from each other quite a bit at this point.

Microsoft is incredibly focused on games as a service and putting out games that have longer and longer lifespans compared to years passed. As far as I'm aware that's not something Sony is really doing or focusing on and they seem content with putting out the more traditional single player, narrative driven experiences.

They are? With what? What games?

The points you made for Xbox like AA games, GAAS and good hardware for western devs is all on the PS4 too. OP does a bad job of making them seem unique.

Are you confusing this gen with last gen? None of that applies this gen to either console. Online and offline games are a big deal on PS4.

I fully agree, it's why I own both a PS4 and an Xbox One and am planning to get a Switch.

I love the pro-consumer moves Microsoft have been making lately with game pass, BC, EA Access etc and as such want to keep supporting Microsoft moving forward, which is why the Xbox One is my console of choice for third party games.

Sony, meanwhile, are giving me tonnes of cool exclusives to play - in less than 12 months of owning a PS4 I've played through all 4 Uncharted games, TLOU, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Gravity Rush, Journey, Resogun, Danganronpa, Until Dawn, Horizon, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X and Yakuza 0, with NieR Automata, Ratchet and Clank, Alienation, Danganronpa 2, Final Fantasy X-2 and the remaining Kingdom Hearts games all sitting in my backlog - these are all games I wouldn't have played without a PS4.

Nintendo, on the other hand, are out there doing their own thing, working on making console gaming possible on the go while dropping critically acclaimed game like Zelda, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2, as well as the upcoming Mario Odyssey, which I'm sure will be fantastic.

All three are out there doing something different and honestly I'm not sure there's been a better time for all consoles in term of uniqueness in recent years, which as a gamer with no particular allegiance to any company excites me for what is to come in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom