• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
EWUfY.png

Welcome to the new iteration of our android apps thread. Due to the massive amount of clutter of the old one, we're moving it to Playboard so everyone can browse it much much easier on their computers or android devices. If you are on an android phone or tablet, please download the Playboard app and search for "neogaf" or click on the links below to find our channels. That way you can see easily what's new and directly install new apps from there:

You can check out our apps here, the links will take you to either the website or the app depending on what you're browsing on

I'm going to add some more channels later as they get approved. Also, please help expand these channels by recommending apps or perhaps writing a blurb or something about them.

Enjoy

I'm glad you posted this!

My partner has a new android phone and I have no clue what to DL for him. The main android thread is a shithole of endless specs and new phone lust.

Cheers!

Chris R

Why no love for Smart Keyboard in the keyboards section? Swype came on my phone, along with Samsung's keyboard and both are terrible compared to Smart Keyboard.

Going to have to check this thread out next week and download some more apps.

Threi

notag
If Diceplayer ever gets their payment account figured out, i'd definitely recommend that. It's the only player that enables hardware acceleration outside of the formats the stock firmware supports, allows you to play stuff like 1080p MKV flawlessly, using less battery life because it's GPU accelerated. I personally prefer MX Video player over moboplayer though.

Also would recommend Opera mobile over mini, Opera mobile with "turbo mode" on works exactly how mini works, and you can turn it off if you want pictures to load without compression from opera's servers.

Also for file managers/file sharing i'd recommend ES File Explorer. Works extremely well, and supports Windows file sharing (and ftp, among other things)

also, put the getjar link for some of these apps, like beautiful widgets. Legal, and free ;)

*edit* oh and people will like the ICS keyboard in the market :)

ltse1

Great thread. I personally recommend these free apps:

- Astrid (minimal to-do list app)
- Google Currents (reader i.e. Forbes, Entrepreneur, Bloomberg, Popular Science, etc.)
- Songbird (music player)
- Sleepbot (tracks how much you sleep)

Nice list, here are some more:

3G Watchdog-Good for watching data usage.
A.I. Type Keyboard-Great keyboard, the Win Phone 7 layout is my fav.
Battery Indicator-Shows battery percentage in the status bar.
Fooducate-Good for seeing how healthy different foods are.
gReader-Google Reader app I like better than Google's.
Kindle-For reading books, it now also opens pdf's.
Last.fm I scrobble everything, so I need this. Tracks your music habits and scrobbles in real time unlike the iOS app.
Smooth Calendar-Nice looking calendar widget.
SMS Unread Count-Widget you can set to show unread message count as well as unread mail count and more.
Total Commander My fav file manager. Not yet in the Market but it will be eventually.
Weatherbug I have the Elite version (Amazon had it for free), shows temperature in the status bar and can pull down for more info.

Also, no section for everything Google? And the Airdroid link does not work.

MrBig

My top apps (For my tablet), in no particular order.
Art
Sketchbook Pro - Best current drawing software on Android. Still needs a lot of work and polish though. Has pressure sensitivity support for my Thinkpad and other N-Trig devices.
DSLR Controller - Remote control over my 500D, with live view, remote shutter release, image review (can view raw), and control over just about everything. Currently in production and so is significantly reduced in cost (buying now retains your license for the full version. XDA thread)
Photoshop Touch - A respectable attempt at a touch version of PS. Currently very limited in toolset. More than worth the asking price though.

Utilities
swiFTP (free) - One click access to my tablet's storage over wifi. Invaluable.
ES File Explorer (free) - Most desktop-like experience. Access to internal, external storage, dropbox, and ftp servers.
Unified Remote (free) - Remote control of functions on my computer over wifi. I watch hulu and movies on a TV via HDMI out on my computer and am able to use this as a virtual mouse and keyboard.
Teamviewer (free) - Best and most fully featured remote desktop control client.
Handycalc (free) - Graphing calculator that uses keyboard input. Has other function like easy unit and currency conversions.
Hacker's Keyboard (free) - For when I need access to desktop keyboard keys that aren't present in most android keyboards.
Thumb Keyboard - My general use keyboard. Arrow keys, macros, and many more functions. Highly customizable.

Media
VLC (free) - Plays anything better than mobo or mx video player, has a better UI, and is not even an official release. The actual release is bound to be insurmountable.
Player Pro - Was the most stable music player in my testing, and has nice playlist/file handling.
Cool Reader (free) - For reading any eBooks you can't get from kindle or google books.

Some good apps I haven't heard of here. Definitely agree with replacing Opera Mini with Opera Mobile (I'm a huge Mobile fan).

My recommendations:
-Rom Toolbox: It's like an all-in-one app for root users. ROM manager, app manager, file explorer, various tweaks, theming, and plenty more. Basically has most of the popular root apps (Root Explorer, Titanium Backup, SetCPU, etc) built in. I haven't really played with it so I can't comment whether it's better than the separate apps, but it's useful to have.

-Rainwave: You can finally listen to those OCRemix streams on your android device.

-Light Flow: Controls your LED notifications (frequency, colors, and can even be app specific).

-Amazon Price Checker: For the Amazon shopper, now you can scan barcodes and buy your [cheaper] products all while still in the store.

-Friendcaster: Facebook app with more features and doesn't screw with your hardware like the official one does.

-Minimalistic Text: If you want to theme your homepage yourself.

-Sixaxis Controller: Use your PS3 controller to play games via bluetooth, but only supported by certain apps like emulators. I tried this with Onlive, no go =/

Danj

There needs to be a distinction for items marked Free to show whether they are just a free trial or actually completely free. For example SwitftKey X is marked as Free but the link goes to the trial version.

im putting gingerbread on my nook color tomorrow, so this thread will be very useful. Havent owned an Android device, only iOS (iphone2g-4 and ipad 1) and windows mobile 4 before that

Angst

Great thread. You missed Spotify for streaming music, but on the other hand I've found some great new apps. :)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Great thread. I'm really hoping to root my Kindle Fire to ICS when a stable build of it comes out. Having to rely on the Amazon Marketplace is not fun.

I have a lot of these apps on my Nexus S but there are a few new ones in here that I will try out.

Zizbuka

Banned
Might wanna check the prices listed on some. WidgetLocker is $2.99, and your link points to the Market where it's $2.99.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Needs a Twitter section. I vote Plume. Twitter section needs to be prefaced with the fact that all Twitter clients on Android suck.

Good job.

kinggroin

Banned
As soon as its back up, I HIGHLY recommend everyone get dice player. Fully hardware accelerated video player. Just tried the 1080p .Nov Prometheus trailer and it performed flawlessly in my nexus.

Some Apps that I love

Pixlr-O-Matic
A free app that allows you to edit your pictures with a bunch of effects, frames, etc. Its lightweight but packs a nice punch

QuickPic
Image editing tool. Think of it as an Advanced Gallery App. Really fast. Great caching.

Where
Need to find a restaurant, hotel, landmark, or anything else with an address? This is your nicest looking option.

Muffin Knight
A mini platforming game. Incredibly fun. Can get quite hectic. Also supports multiplayer.

Threi

notag
What would you say is the best (i.e. fastest, most beautiful) launcher? Can not decide which one to use.

On a modern phone they all run fast, just gotta try both and settle on one (I personally am still torn between ADW and GO Launcher)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Fixed some prices and links. I'll update it with more of your recommendations later, imgur seems to be overloaded right now.

also, put the getjar link for some of these apps, like beautiful widgets. Legal, and free ;)

I am hesitant to put getjar links since they don't update with the market. I think I'll probably just put a general getjar notice at the top later.

Also, no section for everything Google?[/URL] link does not work.

I think everyone is familliar with google apps, I don't really want to waste character space on gmail or maps. But I'll certainly put lesser-known google apps like Currents in whatever section they belong in.

Top Bottom