• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level-5: "Dark Cloud 3 is in Sony's control"

Cincaid

Full story from Polygon, an interview with Akihiro Hino from Level-5.

”There has been a lot of requests and voices to create a Dark Cloud 3 or some form of Dark Cloud," Hino told Polygon. ”That IP is co-owned or managed by Sony Computer Entertainment, so it's not something that we can do or act upon on our own."

Consider those dreams dashed, then, although Hino did hint that Level-5 and Sony had entered ”negotiations" over Dark Cloud in the past. (”I'm not sure if that's happening now," he was quick to add, after telling us of his own personal interest in a revival.)

I'm a huge fan of the prior games, and I consider Dark Cloud 2 to be one of the best titles to Playstation 2. Since its release in 2002 I've been waiting for news regarding a sequel, and hearing Hino saying there's interest at Level-5 to make it is really frustrating since it seems the bottleneck is Sony. I think many of us were hoping that the releases of the PS2 games to PS4 meant a possible sequel, but it sounds like there's just no interest in it at Sony.

FelipeMGM

Level-5 has so much cash now, they prob wouldnt even take that job unless SIE throws A LOT of money at them (which they most likely wont).

Why have your staff develop the game someone else owns when you can make 8 Yo-Kai Watch spinoffs with that crew and time

silva1991

Didn't know this was co owned by Sony. It kinda makes me hate on the existence of Knack 2 even more.

Stop ignoring your good franchises fucking Sony.

watdaeff4

Ball's in Sony's court once again. So that means it's not happening, right?

Lol - I knew someone would say that.

Did the first two sell enough to financially justify a third? I have no idea what the sales numbers were.

Never played the first two - what are they like? Might pick them up as aren't they both available on the PS4 now?

Damnit. What do we have to do to get Dark Cloud on Sony's radar?
#BuildingTheList

Let's get dark cloud 1&2 constantly on top of the ps2 classic charts! Who's with me!
tenor.gif

Another good Dark Cloud sequel to me would essentially basically be indistinguishable from a new IP. The only thing Sony's involvement would add is the name, which is the least important part of the equation.

I'd rather Level-5 worked on something new for Sony if that were the case.

I feel similarly about other dormant franchises by devs I like - e.g. if Nintendo let Camelot do another RPG I wouldn't want it to be Golden Sun. Ship has sailed.

Quonny

Why would Level 5 even make DC3? Even if Sony just went 'go ahead, make it', they have no reason to do it. It wouldn't make as much money as any of their other projects, even a new jRPG console IP.

Fiendcode

Level 5 should just pull a From Soft and make a multiplatform Demon's Cloud themselves. I bet Namco would publish it in the west.

kikiribu

It's been like 15 years. If the IP gets revived at all, it'll probably be a reboot, and even that is something I don't see happening. I'd prefer they keep making new IPs like Ni No Kuni anyway.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
He says that....but its unlikely that L5 would work on someone else IPs in this day and age. They have enough of their own games lined up right now.

kurahador

Please Sony, I want Dark Cloud 3. #BuildTheList

Just copy Zelda BOTW and add town building mechanic, boom Dark Cloud 3.

Rymuth

First get us White Knight Chronicle 3.

Kidding, kidding....the real game that deserves a sequel is Gundam AGE

Celine

Well of course Sony has the rights over Dark Cloud, a publisher fund a game to own the rights and sell the game.

chaosaeon

Man that would be great. I think I'd like them to return to the tone and atmosphere of the first game but with all the refinements of the second. I hope negotiations start up again.

Id rather take a new IP building on some core gameplay concepts from dark cloud series, yet not directly related to the franchise

Wouldn't they be able to make a sequel that is separate from the first 2? The second game had next to nothing to do with the first, and I don't see why they couldn't do that with a third.

Plus a new IP could be riskier than a sequel if it's an unknown name. They wouldn't even need to name it Dark Cloud 3.

It sounds like L5 wants to do it though, so the only thing missing in the equation is Sony looking to the fan hype for a sequel and making that decision.

SeanPyle

Neo Member
When it comes to another Dark Cloud, I'll believe it when I see it. But man, would I love it. That game had some beautiful subsystems - fishing, spheda, building, recruitment.. Oh man. I can't imagine a current-gen take

Top Bottom