• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alcatraz |OT| The Island is Over There

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

Nice seeing Parminder doing something again

I was behind by an hour when I wrote this, what a coincidence :lol

My guess is she and Sam Neill got to knew each other in the past. I thought that line about her wanting kids was out of place at the time....

You already watched it...mind blown.

XRUuR.jpg

Twists keep comin'.

they really should have picked a female lead with smaller breasts

Just saying

EDIT: Wow, I go to her imdb page and find out she played Zobelle's daughter on Sons of Anarchy.....okay, keep her on

Doorman

You already watched it...mind blown.
Abrams.jpg...? I don't know if he has an equivalent to the Shaymalan twist or not.

So does Fox basically run a scifi detective show into the ground for 5 years and then just make it over again? This show is Fringe x 1000 + some 4400 involved.
Yeah I got this vibe from it as well. "Oh look it's Fringe again but with some Lost tossed in because why not." They've already established the same personality-deficient female cop lead (Olivia), the quirky sidekick that carries the actual useful knowledge (Bishops), the mysterious but somehow linked sequence of crimes ("The pattern"), the supervisor to the main characters that seems to know way more than they let on (Broyles). It's already so similar that I feel like the premise may have worn itself out to me despite having just started.

The twist at the end of the second episode is intriguing, but unless something particularly interesting happens next week, the setup so far isn't exactly compelling me enough to see the storyline through like Fringe did (for a few seasons, at least...)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Honestly.... I didn't enjoy it.

They reached to get to one scene from the other too much for my liking. They welcome a detective and comic store owner into their top secret operation basically just because they found them snooping and were too lazy to get rid of them? Really? And oh yeah that hill in the distance looks like the perfect spot for a sniper killing, lets search there! I really can go on and on. I mean just look at all the stupid investigating on the computer they do that somehow we are suppose to believe.

But it wouldn't of been a big deal were it not for the sub-par acting, boring script, and cheesy cg/camera angles. It was almost sad seeing this attached to the Bad Robot logo that sent out so many great Lost episodes.

I'll tune in next week, just because Abrams, Neil, and Garcia equals a second chance. But so far I am greatly disappointed.

Edit: The best scenes were the flashbacks to Alcatraz.

ivysaur12

Banned
Fox shows don't get put up on Hulu until eight days after their original airing IIRC (new rule they've been doing this season).

Unless you have Hulu+. Same for the CW. ABC is gonna follow suit soon.

EDIT: Oh fucking thank you roommate for not clearing our DVR of your Real Housewives of Beverlywhatever shit so it doesn't record Alcatraz even though I told you to make room for it before I left for the gym FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Honestly.... I didn't enjoy it.

They reached to get to one scene from the other too much for my liking. They welcome a detective and comic store owner into their top secret operation basically just because they found them snooping and were too lazy to get rid of them? Really?
The head guy of the secret operation knew who she was before she started snooping around and basically intended to bring her in. I think this was discovered when she saw that her grandfather was one of the inmates and was the one who killed her former partner.

big_z

I'm not feeling this yet and the female lead seems miscast. Still I'll watch the first season and see how it goes. The formula seems to be almost the same as lost just in a different setting. The biggest problem is the ADD pacing. Lost took its time to get to the next plot point, this show is stupidly quick and feels like its always rushing.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
just watched the first half. off to a great start. music is fantastic, the cast is great, not sure if its really all that sustainable though. I wonder how deep the rabbit hole goes.

aparisi2274

So since the west coast feed is now over, did anyone try to QR scan the barcodes on the those cels?

I tried and I could not get a clear reading. Since this JJ Abrams, I assume that if we can scan those, there has to be some kind of hidden message or info...

Dead Man

I was interested until I saw it was more JJ work. Can we expect it to actually have a cohesive overarching plot this time? The man has great ideas for premises but never seems to be able to hold my interest. I haven't watched the first ep yet, so maybe I will be wrong as wrong can be (Hope so).

This and Person of Interest are tied for Worst Generic Crime Procedural With a Dumb Sci-Fi Hook Starring a Lost Alumnus this season.

ivysaur12

Banned
This and Person of Interest are tied for Worst Generic Crime Procedural With a Dumb Sci-Fi Hook Starring a Lost Alumnus this season.

I don't know if there are any other shows that can fit into that category.

I was interested until I saw it was more JJ work. Can we expect it to actually have a cohesive overarching plot this time? The man has great ideas for premises but never seems to be able to hold my interest. I haven't watched the first ep yet, so maybe I will be wrong as wrong can be (Hope so).

He's not the showrunner, only the EP. Still important, but it's not like this is Felicity or Alias for him.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I know person of interest doesn't fit into that category.

Except for the Lost Alumni part.

TheOddOne

I know this is gonna turn into shit in the future, still I kind of enjoyed the first episode. Like the female lead, reminds me of Emily Rose. Will watch, but no doubt will drop when it goes south.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
fun Jurassic park reference about Sam Neil not liking children.

Pretty enjoyable show. I see stuff getting pretty crazy in this show just like Fringe if it makes it past season 1. I'm guessing these aren't the same guys from the 1960's, but clones. They showed the doctors taking large amounts of their blood in one scene to create the clones. What else could that blood be for?

ivysaur12

Banned
Is it, uh, possible to survive that type of sniper shot in the second episode?

Sam Neill's character makes no sense - there's no rhyme or reason not to trust Rebecca when he's already trusted her with the largest secret thus far. It's lazy storytelling because he obviously has more information on the matter than he's leading on, but we can't know in episode two... because it's episode two.

Rebecca's character is also all over the place. Is she strong willed? Over-emotional? Cool-headed? Naive? Good at her job? Bad at her job? And did she never feel like googling her grandpa's name to maybe find out that he was a fugitive? Seems bizarre that she would just figure it out and screams network notes (and let's be real, even if she knew he was a fugitive and had seen his mugshot, there's no way that she would have recognized her grandfather as the guy that stepped on her partner's fingers).

Oh, and that scene? Yeah. Wow. But I guess that's the kind of cheese you get from the creators of Kyle XY. I was really hoping the second episode would show a marketed improvement.

Also, why would it matter what the sniper could see in the 1960s? Couldn't he maybe see the new buildings that are there now that are even better vantage points? At least the twist at end of the second episode was decent.

Hmm, it was alright.

I'm a little wary of the criminal of the day formula that they seem to be establishing. It was more violent than I was expecting too. Why I thought this, I have no idea. Hurley 2.0 is pretty lazy/boring storytelling.

Also, are we supposed to feel bad for Sylvane? They didn't do a very good job of making him a sympathetic anti-hero. He just seems kind of psycho. (He is nice to look at though, so I'm not too bothered.)

Snake

Hopefully the show is building to some sort of reveal like Sam Neill's crew aren't really good guys. I like how he's not exactly working with blondey&Hurley.

Sam Neill's character is definitely shady as fuck.

Overall the show so far is not great, but pretty decent. If it improves half as much as Fringe did by the end of the season it'll be a keeper for sure.

PoI has a great hook, but it is a pretty horrid show.

EDIT: Well. Wikipedia just ruined the twist about Sam Neil's character. Do not go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom