• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi91

Wii came out a year after the 360 and was around the power level of the original Xbox.

Wii U came out seven years after the 360 and was only slightly more powerful than it.

NX being more powerful than the PS4 three years after its launch would be a pretty big change in how Nintendo operates.

It's been a rough few years for them.

I'm confident that they've changed for the better with the launch of the NX.

They kinda have to, otherwise their home console business will be in jeopardy.

Then again, power is just one of many obstacles for a Nintendo home console.

GamerJM

Banned
Allowing Gamecube controllers on the NX version of Smash 4 shouldn't be difficult. Considering the NX is a modern console it'll have two USB ports which means the Gamecube controller adapter will be easily supported. I don't know why people are freaking out about this.

BY2K

Membero Americo
What's with all these rumors —

*Neiteio pauses and goes pale*

...oh no

*Neiteio runs to the living room and rips open the curtains. Outside in the streets, cars are burning. Everywhere you look, there are men giving people noogies and asking them to pull their finger*

"Uncles! Uncles everywhere!"

holy shit

Coffinhal

They better not. Nintendo's clearly not in a position where they can ask that of people, especially after the Wii U. Not to mention that a good chunk of their existing audience are children, whose parents wouldn't take kindly to paying a subscription fee for online.

Generalization based on...? Also, kids played 360 online and now they have PS4 and XBO, and parents can pay for it. I doubt Nintendo has a much larger percentage of players/online players than PS/XB too.

While it would give them money for a solid online structure, they would also have a comparative advantage by keeping it free.

braves01

Banned
Ports of everything I really care about engaging with long term is good news, regardless of how everything else shakes out.

Meesh

Wii came out a year after the 360 and was around the power level of the original Xbox.

Wii U came out seven years after the 360 and was only slightly more powerful than it.

NX being more powerful than the PS4 three years after its launch would be a pretty big change in how Nintendo operates.
Nintendo, I hardly even recognize you anymore XD

Dimorphic

Honestly if Ninty can actually deliver a console that is on par with the market, phowar, I'd be excited.

Considering the general brilliance of their first party titles if you could get third parties taking the platform seriously they'd become a huge threat. Then all that is left is getting their online infrastructure right.

Generalization based on...? Also, kids played 360 online and now they have PS4 and XBO, and parents can pay for it.

While it would give them money for a solid online structure, they would also have a comparative advantage by keeping it free.

That's hilarious, people still think the online fees pay for a better online experience

Kouriozan

We're getting more and more rumors and sources, it means the reveal should be soon, right?
At worst, E3 is in 2 months anyway.

Instro

Why is Nintendo always late to the party? PS4K and Xbone 2 are right around the corner.

Well there's late to the party and having slightly less GPU grunt, vs being late to the party and being a full generation behind in CPU/GPU power and RAM amount/speed.

mrmickfran

The return of the king , The Sony evil years are done

giphy.gif

Seriously , NX needs to be more powerfull than PS4 so developers like Rockstar and From put their games on nintendo s console

Grand Theft Auto on a Nintendo console, I never thought I'd see the day.

Nintendo having the most powerful console feels so weird, lol

XBX remaster is gonna look phenomenal.
The NES, SNES, and GameCube were the most powerful consoles of their respective gen.

Neiteio

Ports of everything I really care about engaging with long term is good news, regardless of how everything else shakes out.
Yeah, same here. Although I wish Mario Kart 8 was on the port list. I guess they already have plans underway for MK9. Still wish we'd get a special edition of MK8 with all DLC plus more tracks at 1080p with AA.

I need to know now Nintendo!! I like what I hear so far. I'm glad they didn't go out of their way to make it less powerful like they did with Wii U. I'm really hoping Pokken gets ported too. It doesn't even hit 720p on Wii U, it could use a roster bump as well.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The NX will be more powerful than the PS4. "By a noticeable amount". From the CPU, to GPU, to RAM. Sources don't know the clock speeds, or memory type or amount of memory. But if the CPU is 15-30% stronger than PS4 as alluded to by LCGeek, than the GPU would need to match that bump in order to not bottleneck (Nintendo hates their bottlenecks).

woah that's a hot scoop. I mean it's totally devoid of any actual information or technical analysis but yeah. wow. computers, amirite.

didn't even read the rest.

MK_768

Generalization based on...? Also, kids played 360 online and now they have PS4 and XBO, and parents can pay for it. I doubt Nintendo has a much larger percentage of players/online players than PS/XB too.

Cause it's Nintendo lol.

If that ends up being true, it probably means the console is going to be expensive... :(

Lol, children. Do you know how many 12 year olds are playing COD on PS4/XBO?

Those 12 year olds are not going to be asking for a Nintendo console regardless. Nintendo has a family-friendly image that puts them off.

This is sounding like serious business and I'm loving what I hear. Nintendo obviously is ruling with a tight grip regarding the NX, and honestly I prefer them this way. I pray it all pays off but it'll be in their favour if they reveal this thing before e3 and at e3, they give a full blowout of information similar to the PS4's reveal. I don't think the PS4k will be an issue though by the way, Sony will still focus heavily on the OG PS4.

ChaosXVI

Oh man, I really hope the rumor regarding the system's power is true. I want to see Nintendo games that push the barrier for graphics again. I want to see what Retro Studios and EAD Tokyo can do to blow my fucking mind with their insane art teams.

...I might be letting the hype consume me, but God DAMN I am so excited. I just want Nintendo to fucking unveil the thing already, If all we get is the final name between now and E3 I'll be over the moon.

Luigiv

bwahaha xD

Hmmm. However notably more powerful could still easily be within a 2x jump in GPU power and without an upgraded processor it should win there by default.

Yeah, I don't disagree, but we'll have to wait and see. At this point it's pretty silly to try and compare the two, since we have practically nothing to go by on either, just pie in the sky promises.

Neoxon

A few babysitting jobs that I took during High School, with parents who refused to let their children use Xbox Live or (now) PSN because it costed money. There's also my own little cousins whose parents won't even let them have Smash 4 DLC or the MK8 Season Pass. Parents can be real penny-pinchers. And on top of that, as stated earlier, Nintendo is not in a position where they can ask that of people. At least PS+ built itself up as a great source of free games before forcing us to pay for it to play online. Nintendo has no such foundation to stand on right now, & thus isn't in a position where they could survive backlash from charging for online.

bomblord1

Banned
Yeah, I don't disagree, but we'll have to wait and see. At this point it's pretty silly to try and compare the two, since we have practically nothing to go by on either, just pie in the sky promises.

Well they (apparently) come from good sources however they are hardly some hard and fast metric 2x could still be a large number of things and "noticeably stronger" is an even larger number of things no reason to try to compare the two yet.

Maybe we'll see another gen where Sony and Nintendo trade blows on different specs that could be cool.

down 2 orth

So is this part of the reason that Sony and Microsoft are developing .5 consoles? Because if so, I might just jump back to Nintendo for the first time since primary school.

So is this part of the reason that Sony and Microsoft are developing .5 consoles? Because if so, I might just jump back to Nintendo for the first time since primary school.

why would that be the reason? The reason Xbox One.5 and PS4.5 might happen is because console new SKUs have become the new price drops. It's an extension of what both of them did last gen packing in games and bigger hard drives with the PS3 and Xbox 360.

I'm in, I mean I was already but it genuinely sounds better and better the more I get to hear about it. I didn't get to play too much Mario Maker so I'd be fine with a port, and if it's a complete version of Smash I'd be 100% okay with that. The only other one I'd absolutely love would probably be Pokken, been really enjoying that and a version with more characters would be absolutely awesome.

Banned
I don't dislike Rogers, but it should be noted: Localized Mother 3 has yet to surface.

That seems like a big thing to throw out there, have it never come to fruition, and have people still put stock into your sources.

And I'm not saying it won't, but it does pop into my head every time she puts whatever weight she may carry behind something.
There's something you should know about any industry really. It's in my post, in the first paragraph.

Things are discussed internally all the time, and things can change at any minute. Look at Splatoon and Mario Maker to NX, it may not happen because Nintendo is having problems with them right now. If I hadn't put in the part about "some sources say only 50% chance" and those games never saw the light of day, I would get torched like Paul Gale. And in Paul Gale's defence, someone who was in the know about title fight, most likely did hear a pitch for MetroidxStarfox Fusion saga but it never went beyond that.

The Wii U is dead, Nintendo is likely saving mother 3 VC for E3 or one more direct. She's been right before and I bet you mother 3 is coming.

Joqu

I'd like to know what that closing comment from modbot in the other thread was about too. I don't want to read into it too much but that doesn't match up with what 10k said regarding his contacting with the mods?

edit: and cyan's post I guess!

Kouriozan

I need to know now Nintendo!! I like what I hear so far. I'm glad they didn't go out of their way to make it less powerful like they did with Wii U. I'm really hoping Pokken gets ported too. It doesn't even hit 720p on Wii U, it could use a roster bump as well.
Same, hope Bandai Namco consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom