• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 - new incredible screens [Update: Added A Lot More In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Beowulf28 said:
I hope they actually get some half decent VOs this time. The ones in the first game were just unbearably bad.
Play in Polish with subtitles? Awesome dev support meant that you could do that in the first game.

Fox318 said:
Awesome. Now I just need to figure out where to buy the game. Steam or GOG?

Retail:

k_low.jpg

Fox318

Beowulf28 said:
I hope they actually get some half decent VOs this time. The ones in the first game were just unbearably bad.
What are you talking about? I thought the English VO was great!

kitzkozan

Zzoram said:
The Witcher 2 looking better than Dragon Age is probably in part due to being PC exclusive. Being able to assume 512MB VRAM dedicated to the GPU is probably great for textures.

It's mostly because CDProjekt has a better art direction team than the Dragon age team.One studio with their one and only team versus Bioware which is spreaded across 3 or 4 games.

Minsc

Gold Member
cj_iwakura said:
Yeesh, it's gonna take a beast to run this game. My computer barely ran the first one.

The first one ran on the Aurora engine. This one does not. That counts for like 2 years of hardware right there.

Salaadin

cj_iwakura said:
Yeesh, it's gonna take a beast to run this game. My computer barely ran the first one.

The first one was optimized badly or something. My PC can play games prettier than TW1 at better framerates yet struggles with some relatively simple stuff in TW1. I had to turn FRAPs off so I didnt see the fps going back and forth all the time although I was still able to feel it.

TW2 looks so good. Im hoping that my i5 750 and ATI 5850 will be sufficient enough.

Acosta

Enosh said:
I play games for just the graphics too
zoukka said:
usual crap

Hah, we have reduced consolites to the status of nintenbots, they are using their same excuses and everything (graphics are not important!, sales are!). Another victory for the master race.

And holy shit at the last pics.

Have you tried EE version? they re-recorded a lot of stuff. In any case, the Polish version is one of the best VOs this gen and I reccomend going with that if you don't mind subtitles.

Catshade

careful said:
Hot damn...
What are these guys' budget compared to other big AAA studios? Why does this game look better than what most AAA studio can output? I always assumed CDProject was a relatively small eastern European team working with smaller budget.

Amusingly, The Witcher 2 may be partly funded by the money they got from selling Bioware RPGs on GOG.

Catshade said:
Amusingly, The Witcher 2 may be partly funded by the money they got from selling Bioware RPGs on GOG.
I don't see any problem with them selling the best games Bioware ever managed to make. They are keeping the memory of what Bioware once was alive.

Kenka said:
I came and ordered it in a heartbeat when I saw it. It's about the equivalent of 100 € in here but damn it looks nice.

60€ in Poland, I'm on the fence thought. While the artbook is great (I have the one for Witcher 1) there is just so much garbage there I will never have any use for.

Enosh

Acosta said:
Hah, we have reduced consolites to the status of nintenbots, they are using their same excuses and everything (graphics are not important!, sales are!). Another victory for the master race.
emm I am mostly a PC gamer

matmanx1

I wonder if the Polish VA will be an option this time. I really enjoyed playing the first game with that option as Geralt speaking Polish sounded even more awesome.

And yeah, those screen shots are frickin awesome. Like, my eyes are melting from pure joy awesome. It's going to be a long wait until May.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

I really just want the deck of playing cards from the CE since I'm a whore for that sort of thing. Maybe I can convince a gaffer buying the CE to sell their cards...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
chris-013 said:
http://cdn.cnetnetworks.fr/gamekult-com/images/photos/00/01/36/78/ME0001367810_2.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://cdn.cnetnetworks.fr/gamekult-com/images/photos/00/01/36/78/ME0001367807_2.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://cdn.cnetnetworks.fr/gamekult-com/images/photos/00/01/36/78/ME0001367801_2.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://cdn.cnetnetworks.fr/gamekult-com/images/photos/00/01/36/77/ME0001367797_2.jpg[IMG]

More here : [url]http://www.gamekult.com/jeux/image-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-SU00007114-ME0001367797i.html?pf=pc-160001[/url][/QUOTE]
Alright, so which video card do I need to buy for it to look like this?

Serious question.

Catshade

matmanx1 said:
I wonder if the Polish VA will be an option this time. I really enjoyed playing the first game with that option as Geralt speaking Polish sounded even more awesome.

And yeah, those screen shots are frickin awesome. Like, my eyes are melting from pure joy awesome. It's going to be a long wait until May.

AFAIK the Polish VA will only be available in Polish retail version. Other versions will have French, German, Italian, and Spanish localization.

mrpeabody

Those later shots (which are clearly taken while the player has control) are selling me more than the ones in the OP (which look like in-game cutscenes). The game really does look amazing.

And DA2 has always been butt-ugly, ever since the first screenshots came out. That won't stop it from being fun, or from selling 10x as many units as Witcher 2.

Acosta

Enosh said:
emm I am mostly a PC gamer

I know it, but it was a great chance to make a snarky post :p

In any case, and this is an old battle for me, there is absolutely no reason why you can't have a great game with great graphics (or great art at least). So the "graphics are not everything" thing don't work, especially when we are comparing Bioware with CDProjekt. Sorry, but there is no excuse for what Bioware has shown so far of Dragon Age 2 so far, and these pics makes it truly embarassing.

Salaadin

cj_iwakura said:
Both of them? Nice.

Both of them? Theres 2 soundtracks?
GOG only lists one.

Heres the link:
http://www.gog.com/en/page/tw2v2/

1 of 5 select GOG titles
Artbook PDF
Guide and Manual PDF
Official Soundtrack
Papercraft PDF
Maps and Letters PDF
Bonus Videos

And the game, of course. 45 bucks.

Man when I list it like that, it seems like an even better deal.

EDIT: TW1 also came with the soundtrack which I immediately listened to after beating it. Its soo good. If TW2s music is half that great, we are in for a treat.

mrpeabody said:
And DA2 has always been butt-ugly, ever since the first screenshots came out. That won't stop it from being fun, or from selling 10x as many units as Witcher 2.
I am not even sure DA2 will sell twice as much. There are also other things to consider like how much did the development cost for each game and how many are sold on console and at retail because the return on those sales isn't anything close to what CD projekt will be getting for a single copy sold on steam or gog.

StuBurns

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
We don't need to buy insane amount of games - DD and no console-tax means PC games are profitable at way smaller numbers. EA, Activision, etc. want the most amount of money possible, but that's not true for a lot of developers. And given how console studios are folding left and right, I would say going PC will probably get you better future than going PS3/X360.
Publishers make more money on console games per unit, 'console tax' is $7, the price is higher than the first party margin.

That's not to say it's a more healthy business model of course.

bengraven

Oh goddamn I love you magnificent bastards, CD Projekt.

I've been on the fence about pre-ordering, for why I don't know. This sold me.

Now I have to restart my game quickly and choose Triss instead of Shani this time. :p

Catshade

Lostconfused said:
I am not even sure DA2 will sell twice as much. There are also other things to consider like how much did the development cost for each game and how many are sold on console and at retail because the return on those sales isn't anything close to what CD projekt will be getting for a single copy sold on steam or gog.

Didn't Bioware say at some point that DA2 needs to sell 10 million or more to be considered a success?

Minsc

Gold Member
Nirolak said:
Alright, so which video card do I need to buy for it to look like this?

Serious question.

Just to make it look like that, probably the one you have is fine! (sorry)

If you want to get 60fps like that, probably a GTX 480 / 560 or AMD/ATI 5970 / 6950 would be pretty safe bets (for fear of guessing something not strong enough)!

Could be lower though, we'll have to wait and see, there's nothing official afaik.

Edit: Changed 570 to 560.

epmode

Fox318 said:
Awesome. Now I just need to figure out where to buy the game. Steam or GOG?
Truly the conundrum of our generation. I still haven't decided. I even kind of want the ridiculous retail package.

Lime

This game will be perfect *if* there are a very small amount of bugs. CDP didn't fare so well with Witcher 1 (before EE), so we'll see if they have corrected their mistakes with Witcher 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom