• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ellie is the main playable character in The Last of Us: Part II

theWB27

Sure she could resent him for it but kill him for it?

Yes. It's been years and there's no telling it how long it could be after this hypothetical and how other events in the meantime could've messed their relationship up even more.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That's not what I said.

How is it laughable - because it goes against your opinion on the subject?

That's sad.
Why is my opinion of your opinion sad? Because it goes against your opinion? That's sad!

A 40 year old dude using the "I know you are but what am I" line of argumentation, lol now I've seen it all

Zocano

lol, there's no way in HELL this story has a non-horrific ending

Hate in the time of the apocalypse just leads to more apocalypse

The main theme being "Hate" could just as easily be about overcoming personal hate for someone or about love just as much.

Opinions - how do they work?

You made a post noting the importance of players who want to play as Joel while there's a strong, general movement in the industry towards more diverse main characters, you expect the content of your post not to be challenged? What do you think it says about the strength of your opinions if you scare away from resisting to scrutiny, instead choosing to say that opinions don't need scrutiny because they are worthless anyway?

A big part of having an opinion is considering all aspects of whatever it is you have an opinion about, they're not meant to be primal and instinctive reactions, they're supposed to be posited, considered stances. An opinion that doesn't take into consideration other people displays that same quality of its, uh, opiner.

Kuro

Every time a game has a female lead there's some whiny privileged male complaining about it. Every damn time.

Skux

A main female lead on a AAA game. Oh the comments will be delicious.

EDIT: People seem to be misinterpreting my post.

There will be lots of crying about the fact that its a female lead, is what I meant. I don't get it either, but there will.

There won't be, we've had Tomb Raider.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Don't forget unironically linking to videos of a prominent bigoted, misogynistic piece of shit like Milo... xD
Saying unironically that the only reason men would empathize with a concept like women being treated equally is because they wanna get laid, holy fucking shit, while simultaneously complaining that said mindset, as in, EQUAL TREATMENT FOR WOMEN, is ruining the games industry, what the actual fuck. Yes, Neil Druckmann is treating a character like Ellie freely because he wants to get laid, a married man with a kid just wants a harem of feminists. These dudes are some straight up fuckbois but at least their showing their asses so we can show them the door.

Why is my opinion of your opinion sad? Because it goes against your opinion? That's sad!

A 40 year old dude using the "I know you are but what am I" line of argumentation, lol now I've seen it all

I don't like a character that you like, so you're laughing and dissing my opinion because it goes against what you believe. You don't see the redundancy in that?

There are a lot of characters in games that I don't like as a matter of fact; in Final Fantasy VII I can't stand Cait Sith and if you like Cait Sith, then are you going to laugh at the fact that I don't like him?

Lady Gaia

I'll never get this fixation people have with a protagonist being "likable".

If I don't feel some reasonable connection with the main character then I'm not invested in them succeeding. Why waste my time helping a complete ass accomplish whatever they're trying to do? That's why I passed on GTA V. Obviously this is a personal take on things that isn't universally shared.

It's not that the character has to be a good person, but I have to at least be able to empathize with them. Joel clearly fell into the morally grey area but I understood his situation and motivations. That was enough, but I'm really looking forward to a game with Ellie as the primary playable character.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
It was pretty obvious, from the ending of the first.

Joel was in no "maining" shape for a sequel, and the fact that Ellie's immune, the way they left the fireflies.... add 2 n 2 together.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh btw:
That title is quite a spoiler for people who haven't played TLOU and have been avoiding the trailer for Part II...
I refuse to believe this is a real post. Spoiler of what? That Ellie is in the game? I guess it "spoils" that she survives in TLoU1, but it could have been a prequel. But anyway, come on -- were you really expecting to go 2-3 years (or however long until TLoU 2 is out) without knowing who the game's protagonist was going to be?

Please. If you are that sensitive to spoilers and care that much about TLoU's plot, play the game original game already...

Hubb

Oh btw:

I refuse to believe this is a real post. Spoiler of what? That Ellie is in the game? I guess it "spoils" that she survives in TLoU1, but it could have been a prequel. But anyway, come on -- were you really expecting to go 2-3 years (or however long until TLoU 2 is out) without knowing who the game's protagonist was going to be?

Please. If you are that sensitive to spoilers and care that much about TLoU's plot, play the game original game already...

My only guess would be if someone wanted a complete blackout on the game, knowing Ellie is the main playable character is kind of a spoiler. That's all I got. Don't know how that relates to the first game though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't like a character that you like, so you're laughing and dissing my opinion because it goes against what you believe. You don't see the redundancy in that?

There are a lot of characters in games that I don't like as a matter of fact; in Final Fantasy VII I can't stand Cait Sith and if you like Cait Sith, then are you going to laugh at the fact that I don't like him?
You know full well that people aren't laughing at you because you dislike a character, but because of this line:

"I'm a 40 year-old male and the notion of playing as a teenage girl seems off-putting and not entertaining whatsoever to me."

ActWan

Well this thread got to hell really fast...let it go people. What's the fucking problem in playing a teenage girl smh

To quote yourself did not say that you just did not like Ellie as a character.

I'm a 40 year-old male and the notion of playing as a teenage girl seems off-putting and not entertaining whatsoever to me.

This is what people are responding to. Ellie in TLOUS2 could be an amazing character. Aloy (I don't know her age but she is young) in Horizon could also be an amazing character, but they are already off putting for you because of their sex and age.

I mean most people thought Joel would die in the first one, and that
Sam.
would die in Uncharted 4. Naughty Dog never does what I expect them to do.

Noctis Lucis Caelum is one year older than Ellie in TLOU Part II. Just saying.

And he
ages 10 years in the game
- so?

I'm not a female, nor am I a teenager - so that makes me not relate to Ellie and makes me uninterested in playing as her. Noctis is a male - which I am also - but I'm not 20. But I love anime, fantasy games and action games, so therefore he's a very relatable, likeable character to me. Ellie is a whiny, stubborn, too-cool-for-school, grungy teenager that has a chip on her shoulder and if I played The Last of Us Part II, I'd be forced to only play as her.

That doesn't seem very interesting, fun, worthwhile or a good way to spend my entertainment time.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You want to have an empowering female lead you can play Tomb raider. Half the reason people loved The last of us is because of the visceral combat of playing as joel. Which btw was the main character.
Because combat can't possibly be visceral with a female character? Keep digging that hole bud.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Peeps are unironically complaining about playing as a woman in an industry dominated by male, specifically several variations of gruff white men or cocky white men. Wow.....

For those who don't wanna give this a click, this is the name of the video:
MILO at Auburn University: "Male Feminists Are Either Virgins, Perverts, or Both"

Yes, THAT Milo. From Breibart. Saying and I quote, that men who are feminists "hate themselves so much and will believe literally anything that some dumpy fat lesbian blogger tells him."
Wow......WOOWWWWWW.

Triggered.

phanphare

Banned
Oh btw:

it does spoil that ellie survives the first game which is kind of a big spoiler, considering

also I doubt a prequel would have used "Part II" in the title

And he
ages 10 years in the game
- so?

I'm not a female, nor am I a teenager - so that makes me not relate to Ellie and makes me uninterested in playing as her. Noctis is a male - which I am also - but I'm not 20. But I love anime, fantasy games and action games, so therefore he's a very relatable, likeable character to me. Ellie is a whiny, stubborn too-cool-for-school, grungy teenager that has a chip on her shoulder and if I played The Last of Us Part II, I'd be forced to only play as her.

That doesn't seem very interesting, fun, worthwhile or a good way ti spend my entertainment time.

Your life must be very hard if you can only relate to male characters of your age.

MCD

I find Clementine relatable and more badass than most male characters out there and I am a male.

Too early to judge. Just don't make her edgy/extreme and she will be fine.

Turnbl

With Joel being a ghost companion, this is a genius way of not having to fix the buddy AI.

Well played ND, well played indeed.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. It's been years and there's no telling it how long it could be after this hypothetical and how other events in the meantime could've messed their relationship up even more.

Giraffes could have trampled Joel to death. And Ellie is going to kill them all. I mean a lot of things COULD happen. But based on what we do know of the story so far having Ellie kill Joel then have chats with his ghost would be a weird direction to go.

I don't mean to attest to what has or has not to be interesting, but Joel was hardly overrated. He was fairly nuanced, had clear and strong character growth, and was core to the game's story and thematics. Not to say he was the only such character in videogames at the time of release but his execution would be no less meaningful had it lacked in uniqueness.

I also wouldn't say that Joel is, uh, "likeable" in the sense that i think he'd be the kind of person to never get along with anyone in real life, and who would also probably devolve into alcohol driven self destructive behavior had the zomiepocalypse happened. But he has a strong presence and a clear set of values which makes him charismatic as a fictional character. The game is also such that the main conflict of his character is almost immediately evident by virtue of an early introduction of Ellie, which further increases his narrative value. Thus i don't think him being cool or awesome or interesting is necessary, and at worst it's kind of missing the point.

So, a character whose motivations and general character are still discussed regularly today (years after hte game was released) is somehow uninteresting?

Motivations? His motivations were entirely self serving, just like Kratos. Their situations actually have a lot of paralells. They both had family murdered, and it turned them into monsters. Yes, Joel had to kill people to survive, but he did so in unnecessarily brutal ways, like Kratos. Not only that, but he ALWAYS acted in a way that was self serving, again like Kratos. The end of the game, he made his way through the laboratory, going through every one, stopping at nothing to get what he wanted, even though it meant fucking up a chance to help heal humanity, all because he couldn't cope with the loss of his daughter and needed Ellie to fill that roll (you can again draw parallels to Kratos in GOW III trying to protect Pandora).

Unlike Kratos, in the end Joel did what he did throughout the entire game, and acted in ways that only benefited him, while the K man "killed" himself and gave hope back to humanity. And here we are in a world where everyone praises the character of Joel when he is as subtle as a flying brick and as deep as a kiddie pool. Great performance by Troy Baker though.

And you consider Kratos interesting?

Show me where I said that. I said he was hilarious.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
*Milo video*
Triggered.
You sound like a nice person.

why can't we have a choice playing as a male or a female? You want to have an empowering female lead you can play Tomb raider.
You want to have an empowering male lead, play <huge fucking list of AAA video games>.

Half the reason people loved The last of us is because of the visceral combat of playing as joel. Which btw was the main character.
Half the reason? citation needed

it does spoil that ellie survives the first game which is kind of a big spoiler, considering

Well again, if you expect to go several years without knowing who the protagonist of a Famous Game Part 2 is, you're deluding yourself. If you care that much about this kind of spoiler, play the original game already.

I feel like the current discussion ITT is very on topic and relevant.

A great game is getting a sequel with a female lead
People are against Ellie for the reason of her age and sex
The industry insiders have commented on the need for more diverse protagonists
We are on a video game forum discussing a video game protagonist

So I can't see how someone would think it is unreasonable for people to respond to their opinion that comes off as very outdated and tone death.

I'm looking forward to seeing Ellie's growth from TLOU to Part 2. I mean we even see her hands shaken in the trailer. She's been through some shit. But naaah let's just write her off.

theWB27

It's not a spoiler after all these years. At that point, and the fact they're scouring a gaming forum that just announced a sequel, it's on them to continue not being spoiled for THEM.

The internet is too big to tip toe around things like that.

Unless the thread explicitly states no spoilers and it's recent...I refuse to try and play that game. Ellie survives.

Giraffes could have trampled Joel to death. And Ellie is going to kill them all. I mean a lot of things COULD happen. But based on what we do know of the story so far having Ellie kill Joel then have chats with his ghost would be a weird direction to go.

Mental deterioration. Lots of reasons why it COULD happen.

DMONKUMA

This kinda reminds me of the time when someone made a big deal that raichu was getting an Alola form for the Sun&Moon game and they included it in the title. It was something funny.

Also some of you are really wacky which is to be expected I guess.

RIP Joel , hope he is in the game at least, if he is dead when the game starts I'll be bummed because he should at least be seen.

I did like playing as Ellie in the DLC so this is pretty cool news

kpaadet

If I don't feel some reasonable connection with the main character then I'm not invested in them succeeding. Why waste my time helping a complete ass accomplish whatever they're trying to do? That's why I passed on GTA V. Obviously this is a personal take on things that isn't universally shared.

It's not that the character has to be a good person, but I have to at least be able to empathize with them. Joel clearly fell into the morally grey area but I understood his situation and motivations. That was enough, but I'm really looking forward to a game with Ellie as the primary playable character.
You never role play? Playing Tyranny at the moment and I absolutely enjoy being an evil dick.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
RIP Joel , hope he is in the game at least, if he is dead when the game starts I'll be bummed because he should at least be seen.
Uh, watch the reveal trailer?
He's right there in the trailer, and Ellie talks to him, obviously angry at someone or something that isn't him, so at that point in the story he's still her friend/ally at least. Joel is not only in the game, there is zero evidence that he'll die so far.

phanphare

Banned
It's not a spoiler after all these years. At that point, and the fact they're scouring a gaming forum that just announced a sequel, it's on them to continue not being spoiled for THEM.

The internet is too big to tip toe around things like that.

Unless the thread explicitly states no spoilers and it's recent...I refuse to try and play that game. Ellie survives.

I agree, I think enough time has passed since the first game. I don't have a problem with the thread title by the way, I just thought the poster I quoted was being pretty obtuse about the whole thing. it's a spoiler. ain't no two ways about it. however it's a spoiler from a game that came out over 3 years ago.

Top Bottom