• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WRPGs with good combat?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Really don't want to turn this into another dumb "J vs W" thread but I've never perceived the combat in JRPGs as that amazing either. Are there any recent jRPGs with amazing combat, possibly on PC? Wouldn't mind trying that.
(Except the Souls games because I've played them already)

LordKasual

Banned
There is nothing wrong with Witcher 3's combat. It works how it's supposed to.

JRPGs are usually just more flashy, with a more varied scope of movement (aerial combat, high jumps, ect)

Really don't want to turn this into another dumb "J vs W" thread but I've never perceived the combat in JRPGs as that amazing either. Are there any recent jRPGs with amazing combat, possibly on PC? Wouldn't mind trying that.

Nier Automata.

kromeo

Mass Effect 2 I think of more as an rpg with good combat rather than a game with good rpg combat if that makes sense. I never played 3 but I'm guessing it's more of the same

This guy gets it.

It's not western though.

I don't think it really matters that it's japanese, it's still a very western-style RPG.

There is nothing wrong with Witcher 3's combat. It works how it's supposed to.

JRPGs are usually just more flashy, with a more varied scope of movement (aerial combat, high jumps, ect)

Having more fun because of a combat system and a combat system working are two very different things.

Nocturno999

firefly.gif

Edit: Well, it could be ME2 and 3 but then you have people complaining that they are not "true rpgs"

Maybe Dragon Dogma and the Souls series?

Most WRPGs combat systems are serviceable at best.

Ratrat

Ys?

Kill3r7

Mass Effect 2&3
FO3-4
KoA
DA
Gothic II
BG2
TW3

Souls and Dragons Dogma if those count. I guess it depends what you want out of combat system.

Ferr986

If you don't care that it's a WRPG kinda game made in Japan, Dragon's Dogma has absolutely the best combat in any RPG bar none.

If you want western made, Horizon bow combat is fantastic (melee is bad but you ain't gonna melee a big robo T-Rex).

Lister

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn, definitely.

Is horizon Zero Dawn a western RPG? I admit I've only watched streams, but it looks more like an open world aciton game with some minor RPG elements.

Have you tried Pillars of Eternity? Combat isn't perfect by any means, but it's pretty good.

Andromeda also features pretty decent third person shooting, not top notch or anythign, but it's pretty good... unfortunatley it sucks as an RPG.

In action combat, The Witcher 3. Good mix of Batman and Dark souls styles with their own twist. Very good enemy variety, too. The problem is that like in many RPGs, the difficulty balance fails at some point because the progression.

In tactical combat, Divinity: Original Sin. Just tough enough to make it interesting, great variety of options, so many interactions and combos to explore.

Peroroncino

Hmm... if I want to shoot something, then definitely Mass Effect: Andromeda or Fallout 4. If I want to wave a sword, then definitely Witcher 3. If I'm in the mood for something more turn based, then it's Wasteland 2 or Divinity: OS.

MartyStu

Dragon Age: Origins
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Prey
Fallout 4
Deus Ex: HR
Deus Ex: MD
Divinity: Original Sin

Divinity aside, even these are only simply 'good', not amazing.

This is definitely something western-based RPGs should work on, but it is not nearly as dire as people sometimes pretend.

Especially since unlike some other RPGs, western-based RPGs usually bring a LOT more to the table other than the combat.

LordKasual

Banned
Having more fun because of a combat system and a combat system working are two very different things.

Well then it's just a matter of preference

I hate WRPG combat and i found the Witcher 3 to be pretty fun

But I also enjoyed FFXV and Nier Automata (lol) so I guess my opinion is a rare one on GAF

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Horizon & Kingdoms of Amalur both have fun combat.

Kingdoms of Amalur has fun combat, but the game is insanely easy. I had to play on hard and then use a mod to reduce XP and rebalance damage to make it even slightly challenging. Otherwise the game gets boring because you out-level everything and don't really have to engage with the combat.

E-flux

I really enjoyed the combat in shadowrun: Dragonfall and Hong kong, might not be the flashiest system out there but it felt great to play.

Peroroncino

This game has some good combat. If some people think Witcher 3 combat are as good as Horizon Zero Dawn, there is really an issue.

Not sure who in this thread you're referring to, but I think it's ultimately pointless to compare a game with melee focused combat to a game with ranged focused combat.

Kingdoms of Amalur has fun combat, but the game is insanely easy. I had to play on hard and then use a mod to reduce XP and rebalance damage to make it even slightly challenging. Otherwise the game gets boring because you out-level everything and don't really have to engage with the combat.

Magic in KoA is straight up broken, instant win button.

Decado

Wait, wut? There are JRPGs with good combat? Actual recent ones?

As for recent WRPGs, Divinity OS is easily the best, the Shadowrun games are good. Even Wasteland 2, while more simple, is quite effective.

Auctopus

The Witcher 3 on harder difficulties.

Ripostes, Signs, combat trees. It's far better than this forum will lead you to believe.

Top Bottom